Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   HVAC Experts, need a little help (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2682204)

jjeep71 05-13-2019 07:38 AM

HVAC Experts, need a little help
 
I have a 2 story home with 2 heat/AC units. Both are forced air single stage.
One for the front of the house, thermostat upstairs for all rooms except 1 that is downstairs but works great.
Second unit heats/cools master bedroom downstairs and large family room upstairs in the back of the house. The thermostat is downstairs. The problem is the bedroom will be freezing or too hot before upstairs is even affected. Here is where I need the advice. Planning to get a zone panel, 2 thermostats (1 up, 1 down), zone dampers and a zone bypass damper. Seems pretty basic to install. I have read that the bypass could shorten the life of the unit. Too cold/hot going back through the return, too much air flow. Is this something I can tackle? Any insights on the bypass?
Quote of $3500 to have an expert do this and a second quote of $200 to come look at the system.
Thanks for any help.

gunracer1 05-13-2019 09:23 AM

i just adjust my vents in the summer wide open upstairs/down stairs. and i throttle them back in the winter upstairs.

KDXSR5 05-13-2019 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunracer1 (Post 44439806)
i just adjust my vents in the summer wide open upstairs/down stairs. and i throttle them back in the winter upstairs.

This. You could end up in a situation where you cut off too much airflow and cause issues with the unit, but it is unlikely with how leaky most residential systems are. I would try just trimming the vents to make it more comfortable in both zones first.

jjeep71 05-13-2019 10:06 AM

^ I'll give this a try and see what happens. 2 vents down and 2 vents up but certainly worth a shot and much more affordable.

IEATRKS84 05-13-2019 11:04 AM

Just adjust the vents. Or move the thermostat.

santa V2.0 05-13-2019 11:43 AM

Have you check to see if there are existing manual balancing dampers in the ductwork?

Kyron 05-13-2019 11:59 AM

or

ductless split in master bedroom

KDXSR5 05-13-2019 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santa V2.0 (Post 44439988)
Have you check to see if there are existing manual balancing dampers in the ductwork?

Also this before adjusting vents. It is not common at all to see balance dampers in residential construction here, but that doesn't mean it isn't common in your area. If there is one, you would probably see a shaft sticking out the side of the duct work with a handle assembly attached. It may also have a remote operator on it if it is inaccessible above a rock lid. Google manual remote damper operator to get an idea of what to look for.

Doc Holiday13 05-13-2019 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDXSR5 (Post 44440026)
Also this before adjusting vents. It is not common at all to see balance dampers in residential construction here, but that doesn't mean it isn't common in your area. If there is one, you would probably see a shaft sticking out the side of the duct work with a handle assembly attached. It may also have a remote operator on it if it is inaccessible above a rock lid. Google manual remote damper operator to get an idea of what to look for.

not much to look for. Just looks like a piece of metal on the side of the ductwork

jjeep71 05-13-2019 02:17 PM

No dampers currently installed. Older home that I moved into in Sept. Previous owners didn't do much correctly.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.