walk in cooler help - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 11056
Send a message via AIM to B-rock Send a message via Yahoo to B-rock
walk in cooler help

First off I am not licensed, I fumble thru this stuff on my cars.

Im doing a very good friend a favor and trying not to waste him too much money. he sees me always working on "stuff" as he calls it. and askes me if I will take a look and see what I think about it all and I like a new challenge. I have a feeling this will need an upgrade to 134 or 410 or??????

A very good friend asked me to look at his restaurant walk in cooler that's running 50 degrees. I saw the condenser was FULLY plugged with old greasy dust and grim. FULLY packed in there. I figure hey thats your problem, Blow it out and cooler temp goes down to 35 degrees. Figure problem maybe solved. I felt the bare copper line (liquid line?) it was VERY hot before the cond. cleaning and was warm after the cleaning. The sight glass showed no liquid in it. but had a green dot. this is an R12 system via the tag i saw. The compressor equipment looks exactly like what I see in my refrigerator or freezer, Just a little bit bigger.

Now 3 days later he says this is back up to 50 degrees. Im beyond my level of knowledge. I have a set of 134 manifold gauges but I believe they wont work on r12???

Any ideas how we can proceed without too much money involved?

Last edited by B-rock; 05-14-2019 at 10:14 AM.
B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 48233
have you checked the manufacturing specs on it?

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13 View Post
have you checked the manufacturing specs on it?
as in? can you give me a little more to go on here?

I saw it was setup on a timmer that would kill power at night. we dissabled that so It will run all the time. Looks like its a 110V unit??
Old 05-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Dude. I'm all for helping a buddy, DIYing stuff, etc. But a walk-in for a restaurant? That keeps food safe, and keeps customers from getting deathly ill? Keeps him (and you) from getting sued? That is part of his business? Fuck that noise. I'd politely suggest a professional.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
The clear sight glass probably means itís full of liquid. At a cooler temp of 35į the coil temperature is below freezing and itís probably iced up. Tell him to get a flashlight and look in there and see if thereís ice on the coil.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5.5 View Post
Dude. I'm all for helping a buddy, DIYing stuff, etc. But a walk-in for a restaurant? That keeps food safe, and keeps customers from getting deathly ill? Keeps him (and you) from getting sued? That is part of his business? Fuck that noise. I'd politely suggest a professional.
Cautionary tail about trying to help people. I know a guy that was in a bar band that was playing a gig in a restaurant/bar back in the 80's. There was a mouse in the kitchen and he went and killed it with a broom handle under the stove. The place burned to the ground about 5am the next morning. lots of hassle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 181868
If your gauges show pressure, they'll work. You just need a chart for r12.

Kind of hard for me to give you any more help from here, but if you can't fix it, check out "coolbot". I had my wife's walking cooler fail in her restaurant. It was going to cost major money to fix, even with me doing the labor. (I have all the tools and a license) I tried the coolbot with great skepticism. It's worked great for over a year now. It is nice because it uses so much less space too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 48545
Those old systems with timers are designed to defrost the evaporator. They turn the compressor off every 2-3 hrs for 10-15 mins then back on.

So the evaporator may be freezing up, temp in cooler then gets warm it thaws out then starts working. I bet that is the case reconnect timer and make sure its set and evaporator isn't freezing up. Should have a temp bulb on the the evaporator as well to the thermostat make sure its in right location.

Also make sure the condenser fan out side is blowing air over coils and not just loose on shaft too.

Last edited by Bo185; 05-14-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 860898
Iím a little disappointed. I read the thread title and thought maybe you were trapped inside of one.
Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
as in? can you give me a little more to go on here?

I saw it was setup on a timmer that would kill power at night. we dissabled that so It will run all the time. Looks like its a 110V unit??
manufacturers spec for coolant type, capacity, wiring diagram to possibly show something you're missing(ie a temp switch or pressure switch)

Hell they might even have retrofit kit that will update the innards and make the thing run even better

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 109702
If you have a manifold gauge set, get your pressure and temps. Look online for how to calculate superheat (low side) and subcooling (high side) will tell you where if any problems you have. Its been a long time since I've messed with r-12 but I believe your low side should be in the low 20's and the high side should be in the mid 150 range. Superheat of the evap should be 5-8, subcooling should be 5-15. PM me your address and I will send you some literature.

I just sent you some info. Good stuff. It doesn't cover anything about defrost though.

Last edited by BIG-O; 05-15-2019 at 12:19 PM.
BIG-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 12:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 11056
I understand its a touchy thing with restaurant and food and stuff. but also money is hard to come by, Thank you all for the insight the magic of cooling is starting to make sence.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Cautionary tail about trying to help people. I know a guy that was in a bar band that was playing a gig in a restaurant/bar back in the 80's. There was a mouse in the kitchen and he went and killed it with a broom handle under the stove. The place burned to the ground about 5am the next morning. lots of hassle
I remember when I was in trucking one of our guys had the rear brakes lock up and flop it off the road leaving a stop light. No other vehicles, nobody hurt. It was about -25* and the air dryer froze up. Turns out the heater element failed. One of the insurance companies went after the last guy who serviced the brakes, some 3 months/30k miles before.

[Attorney voice] "Who serviced your walk-in last?" [/voice]

And if you're doing this to make ends meet, I definitely respect your work ethic. Just be aware of the worst case scenario.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 161963
It's most likely been charged with 409 or one of the replacement for r12. Like said above, check to see if it's iced up. A cooler defrost clock will usually shut it off for an hour once a day. 2 hours if the doors leak alot and it Frost's up more.
Tizken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizken View Post
It's most likely been charged with 409 or one of the replacement for r12. Like said above, check to see if it's iced up. A cooler defrost clock will usually shut it off for an hour once a day. 2 hours if the doors leak alot and it Frost's up more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post
Those old systems with timers are designed to defrost the evaporator. They turn the compressor off every 2-3 hrs for 10-15 mins then back on.

So the evaporator may be freezing up, temp in cooler then gets warm it thaws out then starts working. I bet that is the case reconnect timer and make sure its set and evaporator isn't freezing up. Should have a temp bulb on the the evaporator as well to the thermostat make sure its in right location.

Also make sure the condenser fan out side is blowing air over coils and not just loose on shaft too.

So much this, put the timer back.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 71185
Has the condenser coil been properly cleaned? I mean with water and probably coil cleaner if it's that nasty, you really can't get it clean enough if you're trying to blow it out with air.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
brewchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 40375
First think I would do is check for an iced up evaporator. We normally have the timer set to defrost for 2 hours in the middle of the night. If it doesn’t have a defrost timer, add one. Make sure condenser and evaporator fans running. Next I would use a foam cleaner coil cleaner on the evaporator to get out the gunk.

If you still have a problem and don’t know the history, you are probably screwed. Most of these I’ve dealt with were changed over using Hot Shot R12 replacement. Now it’s Hot Shot 2. Since you don’t know what is really in it, it would need to be recovered and charged with a R12 replacement and hope there it’s just low. The replacements aren’t charged to a clear sight glass so you need to check your superheat.

Does this have a thermostat inside the walkin or does it use cut in/ cut out pressures?

Last edited by wizard_Drd; 05-14-2019 at 07:24 PM.
wizard_Drd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 118035
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
I understand its a touchy thing with restaurant and food and stuff. but also money is hard to come by, Thank you all for the insight the magic of cooling is starting to make sence.
how............

how do you have a set of gauges without understanding the Carnot cycle?
Old 05-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 852732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo185 View Post

17 years in the food biz, Bo185 is spot on about the timer.
Thatg9659 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
Dude.... you bring back nightmares of my Navy days. 60ton three compressor R12 unit cooling a computer room. Fucking condenser fans would knock you off the check stand if they were not disabled. Us squids knocked a big fucking hole in the ozone thingy... no problem and no thanks needed..
Old 05-15-2019, 06:27 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 199544
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewchief View Post
Has the condenser coil been properly cleaned? I mean with water and probably coil cleaner if it's that nasty, you really can't get it clean enough if you're trying to blow it out with air
So much this... Cleaning out the refrigeration unit(s) is a neglected job. It does get dirty depending on traffic; open/close door, sneaking in a cigarette smoke & storing dusty stuff-
det107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 11056
So as it tuned out the timer never did work, The circuit it was on was off and has been for"a long time" as the owner stated. Im thinking the condenser was so plugged up that it never needed the timmer?? so the story goes that it has been running 50 degrees for months and months. I repaired the circuit and got the timmer going again, all seems to be good so far.

I think by cleaning the condenser coils like I did the system was able to work properly and shed heat, then freezing the coil.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 90667
I paid an AC repairman to come wash off my coils once... Was the most wasteful check I ever wrote. The dude could have done it with a beer in hand it was so simple. It's the first thing I check nowdays.

As for a walk-in, I swear every summer I'm going to buy one for the ultimate man-cave and put a TV and Ping-Pong table in it.
Gittinwidit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 858714
Is it a refer or a freezer? Freezers have defrost timers. Refers generally do not.
Murder Yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder Yota View Post
Is it a refer or a freezer? Freezers have defrost timers. Refers generally do not.
Call it a freezer, call it a cooler, it doesnít matter,

A 35 degree chamber temp (which he said it was maintaining ) will require a coil temp of less than 32. Which means defrost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in