Drone recommendations - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Drone recommendations

Looking to maybe get a drone to video a few blasts of my hard rock pit. We wonít be able to watch it from a safe location so I figure a drone might be the ticket. I want one with a good camera on it so I can see how the rock breaks to determine if our pattern was correct or not. It will have to be 500-700 feet up to make sure it doesnít get hit by flying debris so a high quality camera will be required.

Anyone have any recommendations for a sub 1-1.5k drone.
Thepanzerfuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 06:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7412
Following, I need to blast some more at my place in Colorado.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
I should be working

Member # 18829
DJI are the standard out there. They have something like 70% of the market share.

A Mavic Air or Mavic Pro would probably be fine for your needs and under $1000.

Last edited by Jam Master Jay; 05-15-2019 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Saw the 500-700' note.
Jam Master Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay View Post
DJI are the standard out there. They have something like 70% of the market share.

A Mavic Air or Mavic Pro would probably be fine for your needs and under $1000.
So looking there is a Mavic Air mavic 2 pro and mavic 2 zoom. Anyone have any experience with any of the three? Iím gonna go do some hunting on the specs to see what the differences are.

Will these guys be smart enough for a retard to fly without crashing them spectacularly?
Old 05-15-2019, 07:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 98535
FYI if you can't be close enough to wacth the blast, you probably can't be close enough to fly a drone. You need to be able to see the drone to fly it legally without a license.
dentedsub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedsub View Post
FYI if you can't be close enough to wacth the blast, you probably can't be close enough to fly a drone. You need to be able to see the drone to fly it legally without a license.
Will have a los on drone. The area being blasted in in a hole surrounded by short trees and piles. To see the shot you need to stand on the edge of the pit which is was too close. We will back off 1000í feet which will still have a los on a object 200-300 feet in the air.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 130300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
Looking to maybe get a drone to video a few blasts of my hard rock pit. We wonít be able to watch it from a safe location so I figure a drone might be the ticket. I want one with a good camera on it so I can see how the rock breaks to determine if our pattern was correct or not. It will have to be 500-700 feet up to make sure it doesnít get hit by flying debris so a high quality camera will be required.

FYI max legal altitude is 400ft, I am not sure what is required to go over that legally.
Mikes79bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes79bronco View Post
FYI max legal altitude is 400ft, I am not sure what is required to go over that legally.
After talking to my bil who does this for a living he says drone can be as close as 200í above the front face of the pit. So my guesstimate was a bit off. He uses a $5-10k drone to video the shots he does. He moves 3-400,000ton a whack compared to my 24,000 lol.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Here is a picture from just now.
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Here is a picture from just now.
What exactly are you doing with the rock? I know precisely nothing about that stuff but it looks interesting.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
What exactly are you doing with the rock? I know precisely nothing about that stuff but it looks interesting.
Paying a shit ton of money to turn it into 18Ē or smaller pieces. Once they blast it Iíll crush it down into road gravels breaker stone and clear stone. I need to make 15,000 ton of clear 1 1/2Ē stone for the local landfill expansion. Iíll make some decorative stone and also some rotten granite at this pit. This is my first blast here in 7 years so I need to do some relearning. I was finally able to purchase the neighbors property after 10 years of trying. Iíll have enough stone now for my lifetime so this year Iím finally gonna open the pit up to the public. That way if the neighbors get all pissy off I have all my ducks in a row.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes79bronco View Post
no it's not.

you can fly as high as you want in unrestricted airspace, that's why it's unrestricted.
400 feet is the old gentleman's agreement we had with the FAA in a letter of understanding from the 80's between the FAA and the AMA. Since the FAA has now fucked the entire hobby and all of the long time hobbyists, fuck them. The only people bound by law to a 400 feet operating altitude are those operating under part 107.

DJI is the apple of the RC world. More expensive, but fucking idiot proof.
If you want to go higher than 400 feet, you will have to disable the geofence. DJI puts it in there because the average person turns into a mouth breathing retard when they fly something, with zero regard for safety.
It's kind of a PITA, you have to request their permission to unlock your own damned device.

For that reason alone, I'd buy yuneec. the yuneec geofence can simply be turned off in the GUI, no big brother. Actually I'd build and not buy, but that's not a feasible option for most people.
also, fuck DJI for keeping tabs on your shit and then gleefully handing that information over to any law enforcement that asks.
check the privacy policy, it's in there.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 118010
I had a Mavic Pro, super easy to fly and I had never flown any type of RC aircraft.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 86724
https://us.yuneec.com/typhoon-h-pro-...ard-2batteries

that's what I would buy if I were you.

You could save some coin by not getting the real sense, but the real sense may save your aircraft if you fuck up.
it's lidar, basically. and it learns where objects are, so if you fly passed a tree and then try to fly backwards into it while not looking at it, the suas remembers there was an object right behind it and keeps you from flying into it.
I like the typhoon over the DJI platform, the props are mounted higher so you won't see them in forward flight, it will do 360* camera rotations, retractable gear, so no gear legs in your photos.
and hexacopter, which is simply more stable and fault tolerant.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175047
My brother was out at our place saturday, brought his drone with him. He has some goggle looking contraption you can wear and watch what the drone is seeing(videoing). Plus the controller thing mounts his cell phone on it and you can view it flying from that. He flew a mile up the road to our neighbors house, flew around his place then back to us. He said on the trip up there it was over a thousand feet up. He showed me the "home" mode, which flies it back to where it took off from, automatically. Once it got back to us, he showed me that it literally cannot fly into anything by trying to get it to fly into me. It is a little unnerving, four blades whirring at head level, but it refused to move. The picture quality is incredible.

Edit: His is a mavic pro
Attached Images

Last edited by xr-nut; 05-15-2019 at 10:33 AM.
xr-nut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:
Looking to maybe get a drone to video a few blasts of my hard rock pit. We won’t be able to watch it from a safe location so I figure a drone might be the ticket. I want one with a good camera on it so I can see how the rock breaks to determine if our pattern was correct or not. It will have to be 500-700 feet up to make sure it doesn’t get hit by flying debris so a high quality camera will be required.

I hope you have told the Blasting company what you are wanting to do. When I'm running a electrically controlled demolition shot, even using non-EL with a remote firing device there is no RF producing devices around and everyone wears cotton clothing. Talk to their demo supervisor. Also, when bang shows up, non essential personal are not to be anywhere in the area. If you need a video, set up a go-pro or 3. It will take a damn good hit, even when fragged.

Last edited by Shadow man; 05-15-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 29341
Family is in the same business, using a phantom 4 Pro for pits, blast, piles and jobs.

https://youtu.be/020R-_EMVlE

https://youtu.be/-NCobo3TFwY

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-NCobo3TFwY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-Shawn
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 83932
DJI make great machines.

Ive had a budget Hubsan 501S myself, just to see how realistic owning one is. I didnt want to spend a small fortune on a DJI and not use the thing.

It shoots decent photos, but not great video as it doesnt have any image stabilization or even a gimbal. So I stick to photos, which are a max resolution of 1080.

That said, I have been looking at upgrading. The hubsan has been rock solid, and for the price has been downright amazing.

The new kid on the block that is stepping up to 4k gimal mounted quality is the Hubsan Zino

https://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-Foldab.../dp/B07JYLTQWL

Video reviews Ive seen of it are pretty incredible, and at a fraction of the cost of a DJI. Cost savings that you could dump into batteries, better charger, etc...

FYI, here is a sample shot from my Hubsan 501S
Ive compressed and corrected color.
The result is something that is 100% passable for social media junk, but not quite good enough for publishing/printing.

This is a friends cabin up here in north idaho that she finished a few years ago.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man View Post
I hope you have told the Blasting company what you are wanting to do. When I'm running a electrically controlled demolition shot, even using non-EL with a remote firing device there is no RF producing devices around and everyone wears cotton clothing. Talk to their demo supervisor. Also, when bang shows up, non essential personal are not to be anywhere in the area. If you need a video, set up a go-pro or 3. It will take a damn good hit, even when fragged.
Yeah Iíll talk to him tomorrow when they start loading the holes. Im too cheap to pay for the electrically controlled shot. Iíll be around to help move the stemming around so they donít have to wheel it around the pit.

This will be my first go around with Orica doing the shooting. They brag their anfo is the best in the business, I guess time will tell. Viking did the last shot 7 years ago. We drill on a 8x8 pattern with a 3.5Ē hole average of 30 feet deep. Itís kinda funny my BIL works for Nobel up in their northern min/mn facilities. Weíll see what he says about the results.

As soon as the smoke clears the driller will be back at it starting on the next shot. Hopefully it will be on the ground by the middle of next week, that way we can get to smacking rock.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 136053
PM Deke...guy knows his stuff and how to fly them fuckers.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
I'd get a Mavic Pro....the first generation, not the Mavic 2. No need for the latest and greatest unless you just want to spend more. I'm still flying my Mavic Pro for work and would absolutely buy another one if I killed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
no it's not.

you can fly as high as you want in unrestricted airspace, that's why it's unrestricted.
400 feet is the old gentleman's agreement we had with the FAA in a letter of understanding from the 80's between the FAA and the AMA. Since the FAA has now fucked the entire hobby and all of the long time hobbyists, fuck them. The only people bound by law to a 400 feet operating altitude are those operating under part 107.

DJI is the apple of the RC world. More expensive, but fucking idiot proof.
If you want to go higher than 400 feet, you will have to disable the geofence. DJI puts it in there because the average person turns into a mouth breathing retard when they fly something, with zero regard for safety.
It's kind of a PITA, you have to request their permission to unlock your own damned device.

For that reason alone, I'd buy yuneec. the yuneec geofence can simply be turned off in the GUI, no big brother. Actually I'd build and not buy, but that's not a feasible option for most people.
also, fuck DJI for keeping tabs on your shit and then gleefully handing that information over to any law enforcement that asks.
check the privacy policy, it's in there.
How do you think he won't be subject to Part 107? Any flying for money or business is under 107.

And Yuneec is pure garbage. The only multirotor that I've ever seen fall out of the sky with zero explanation was a Yuneec on it's 4th flight out of the box.

Last edited by bgaidan; 05-15-2019 at 06:41 PM.
bgaidan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
I'd get a Mavic Pro....the first generation, not the Mavic 2. No need for the latest and greatest unless you just want to spend more. I'm still flying my Mavic Pro for work and would absolutely buy another one if I killed it.

How do you think he won't be subject to Part 107? Any flying for money or business is under 107.

And Yuneec is pure garbage. The only multirotor that I've ever seen fall out of the sky with zero explanation was a Yuneec on it's 4th flight out of the box.
I've never flown one of these.

Can I just buy one and, in one afternoon, start flying these with confidence?

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 619097
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
I've never flown one of these.

Can I just buy one and, in one afternoon, start flying these with confidence?
Yes...they're stupid easy.
#1SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2019, 06:49 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
he's not flying for business, this is his personal machine and his interest is simply for fun
unless he's publishing the photos, who's going to argue otherwise?

but that comment was solely aimed at the "you can't fly over 400 feet" crowd that thinks that is a cardinal rule for everyone. It isn't.

and I've not seen any problems out of the yuneec stuff.

like I said, I would just build my own.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
Sorry, I'm not much use. I sold my drone when the FAA decided that you needed a pilot's license to fly one for commercial use.

All I know is that the drones have gotten smaller while keeping the picture quality at the same level.

Would be fun to see some video from your project.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in