1998 New Holland 2120 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9307
1998 New Holland 2120

I will be back on my John Deere 990 project soon but I came across a 1998 New Holland 2120 4x4 for sale. I think it has around 1900 hours. It has a Front end loader and the ad says it runs but won't move. The Hydraulics are supposed to work.
I may go look at it Monday. Tractor data says it has a Hydraulic Shuttle Shift (HSS) transmission. Any idea what may be causing it to not move?
Old 05-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17947
Send a message via AIM to jaluhn
Lots of things it could be. Sounds like there's a 12x12 shuttle shift and then a 12x4 that's not. With it not moving at all I'd guess it's either something relatively easy like a valve linkage or trans hydraulics issues, or a catastrophic failure like a broken shaft. Tractor service hydraulics and transmission hydraulic system should be separate aside from possibly sharing a fluid reservoir, so loader hydraulics working doesn't really tell you anything about the trans.

I'd price it based on the assumption that you need a new/rebuild transmission, and that will probably be $3-5000.

About all I can think of to check on inspection would be to trace the shifter linkage to where it enters the trans and make sure it's moving there and to check the trans fluid. Also the usual listening from odd noises and getting history from the owner. See if the engine loads up when you put it in gear also.

Possible to have brakes rust and stick or some other drivetrain mechanical failure lock it up, but internal trans issue is probably most likely.
jaluhn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Thanks for the information. I will probably go tomorrow and check it out so hopefully I can give a little more details about it then.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 9307
I went and looked at it today. It had weeds grown up around one side so it looked like it hasn't been messed with by anybody. It looked better in person than in the pictures. It started right up and sounded great. The clutch felt normal and the shifter felt normal. When in gear and releasing the clutch nothing happened except the normal sound of the throwout bearing maybe(you could hear something spinning when the clutch was released but it didn't sound abnormal. The bucket and 3 point hitch worked fine.
It looks like a hydraulic valve controls the gears? Here are a few pictures. Anybody else guess on worth or what may be wrong with it?

Old 05-21-2019, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 9307
I found this https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...leshooting-pdf

Last edited by Mr.RatBastard; 05-21-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Mr.RatBastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 9307
I noticed this today looking at the pictures. Shouldn't there be nuts on these cables?

Last edited by Mr.RatBastard; 05-22-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Mr.RatBastard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
I know when I put the JD back together the friction disks in the trans were shot. Would go into any gear but had no go.

Not sure how that trans works, but I think I spent about $500 or so in parts (its probably stated in my thread) And now it works great.

From what I read they do not like sitting dry, or wet (water) makes them delaminate. Which is what mine did. The friction material delaminated from the disk. Still had good material- just not connected to anything.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
I know when I put the JD back together the friction disks in the trans were shot. Would go into any gear but had no go.

Not sure how that trans works, but I think I spent about $500 or so in parts (its probably stated in my thread) And now it works great.

From what I read they do not like sitting dry, or wet (water) makes them delaminate. Which is what mine did. The friction material delaminated from the disk. Still had good material- just not connected to anything.
Good information, thanks. I was think maybe a broken clutch but delaminated probably makes more sense.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17947
Send a message via AIM to jaluhn
Looks like there's a flywheel clutch actuated by the regular clutch petal and then the power shift fwd/rev clutches in the shuttle shift. Sounds like the flywheel clutch is working ok. I would be surprised if the shuttle shift clutches were both bad - even if they de-laminated I'd expect some drag going one way or the other, and hard to believe they burned out both clutch packs that bad at the same time. This means it's probably hydraulics - pump or control valve would be my first guess.
jaluhn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaluhn View Post
Looks like there's a flywheel clutch actuated by the regular clutch petal and then the power shift fwd/rev clutches in the shuttle shift. Sounds like the flywheel clutch is working ok. I would be surprised if the shuttle shift clutches were both bad - even if they de-laminated I'd expect some drag going one way or the other, and hard to believe they burned out both clutch packs that bad at the same time. This means it's probably hydraulics - pump or control valve would be my first guess.
Mine they were shot, looked fine, but were not attached. Again all it takes is sitting dry or water in there to make it happen.

Not beyond the realm of possible.

Fear is not an option!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 86724
says made in japan, shibaura?

the trans in our 1220 checked out about 2200 hours. broke a shaft inside. It is HST.

ours has the 3 cyl diesel, but it looks just like that 4 cyl. dirt simple.
buy the kubota glow plug timer. It's 1/3 the cost of the ford part.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
says made in japan, shibaura?

the trans in our 1220 checked out about 2200 hours. broke a shaft inside. It is HST.

ours has the 3 cyl diesel, but it looks just like that 4 cyl. dirt simple.
buy the kubota glow plug timer. It's 1/3 the cost of the ford part.
I believe it has 1879 hours. Did you replace the shaft? How much and how bad was it to do?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaluhn View Post
Would the bucket and three point still work? How much $ to repair/replace the pump?
Old 05-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 9307
I won the auction and but paid $15 over what I set as my max max. I got in a bit of a bidding war with a couple other people. Time will tell if I paid too much. I managed to get it home today. I used the bucket and a chain to pull itself up on the tilt trailer. The bucket was very strong at just above idle, pretty cool.
I need to find a manual online and start checking things out tomorrow.

Old 05-29-2019, 06:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard View Post
I won the auction and but paid $15 over what I set as my max max.
So how many monies did you pay?

Fear is not an option!
Old 05-29-2019, 06:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 55396
thats a nice sized machine - heavy for the heelbase/ hp, but it also has some rather impressive lift capacities as a result of that.

i look forward to updates and hope you can get her going on the cheap!

Last edited by WTF?; 05-29-2019 at 06:20 PM.
WTF? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2019, 06:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
So how many monies did you pay?
I kinda hate to say but $4600 I have a good feeling about it but I could be totally wrong. I bought it from a city auction. The bucket is straight as an arrow except where the hooks that were welded on were used for pulling. I probably did some of that today.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
I kinda hate to say but $4600 I have a good feeling about it but I could be totally wrong. I bought it from a city auction. The bucket is straight as an arrow except where the hooks that were welded on were used for pulling. I probably did some of that today.
Not horrible.

I think I was about $500 into my trans repair (I pay myself in beer). Could be simple. Or if the rest of it is good parts go for a premium.

Fear is not an option!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
I believe it has 1879 hours. Did you replace the shaft? How much and how bad was it to do?
it was over a grand, and it involved splitting the tractor and disassembling it's rear end. I'd put it on par with rebuilding an automatic transmission. Not hard, but keep it meticulous.
the hard parts were expensive, and new holland has been ratcheting up prices on older equipment parts. Which is why I found a kubota glow plug timer. NH wants $170 for the little NGK box. Kubota one was $48 on amazon prime.

but our machine has nothing in common with yours in the drivetrain. Yours is a whole class bigger. and mechanical, not hydro.
hopefully it's just a clutch.

$4600 for a machine that size with less than 2K hours isn't a bad deal, especially with the loader.
You could sell the loader for half that if it all goes sideways.
for reference:
https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...ord/model/2120
it looks like running 4wd ones are going for ten grand, without a loader.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 55396
Quote:
not a steal- but sound investment- any running machine with a loader and functional hydraulics is worth at least $5k; a 4x4 in that size class i'd say $7.5 k min.

get it sorted for less than that and you're well ahead of the game- a little more and you'll still have a well sorted machine that you could easily get your money out of after using it for several years.

edit: FYI- tractor data says your SN makes it a '99 and not a 98

Last edited by WTF?; 05-29-2019 at 08:55 PM.
WTF? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 03:12 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Subscribed for entertainment
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF? View Post
i look forward to updates and hope you can get her going on the cheap!
Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF? View Post
not a steal- but sound investment- any running machine with a loader and functional hydraulics is worth at least $5k; a 4x4 in that size class i'd say $7.5 k min.

get it sorted for less than that and you're well ahead of the game- a little more and you'll still have a well sorted machine that you could easily get your money out of after using it for several years.

edit: FYI- tractor data says your SN makes it a '99 and not a 98
That's pretty much where I was at with the numbers. I put my max bid in with less than a minute to go and it went up about $900 at the very end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDXSR5 View Post
Subscribed for entertainment
Good, bad or ugly results on the tractor I will put the updates here.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:15 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 9307
I didn't have a lot of time for the tractor today but I did mess with it a little.
I took the panels off under the dash and steering column to look at all the linkage and electrical. I came across this box.

What do you do when you come across a box that says "do not remove" Take it off and pry it open of course.

This is the shuttle shift control module and I read a thread where a couple people had a bad diode in theirs. Mine checked out fine. Someone else had clearly removed the box and pried on it before but I don't think they got it open.

I did realize something a few minutes ago and I am not sure what it means yet. The power steering doesn't work. The reservoir its on top of the engine and is pretty large. It was empty so I filled it up but still no power steering. I assume there is air in there so I will deal with that next. I believe the power steering pump and shuttle shift pump are back to back and may be part of the same system. I am not sure yet, off to do some research.
I think the steering ram is leaking.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
What do you do when you come across a box that says "do not remove" Take it off and pry it open of course.
I almost did the same with my injector pump. Everything/one said not to take it apart. I opted to see if it worked first- and it has. But I would have no qualms digging into it- esp since they are like $2,000

Fear is not an option!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 9307
I have a troubleshooting flow chart for the HSS shuttle shift. The first step is to test the relief valve pressure. Any idea where I would get a tool to do this and where on the tractor I would test?
It is looking like the power steering is separate from the rest of the hydraulics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in