While we're on the new truck kick... - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2019, 03:15 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
True to a point, ask yourself this, would you trust your doctor if he worked out of a tent? Or your dentist if he had a home office? Part of it is marketing.
It's professionalism whether you admit it or not. I take pride in my work and want to look professional. Call it ego, call it crazy, I like it

If I see a shiny new truck show up to fix anything of mine I assume I'm about to get up charged to pay for that new truck.

Now I'm poor, fix everything myself, and don't have a new truck so keep that in mind.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:53 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 80349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix View Post
55 is about mid level lol. They go up to high 70’s. Fuckin ridiculous.
My house costs 88k. I might as well sell it and live in a new truck.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 04:16 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 852732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
you don't have to buy new to not have a shit box. I can find very clean 40 year old trucks that cost less the some of the new crap.

I've never given a bid to anyone because of the truck they drive.
You are not the useful idiot he seeks bids from.

When I'm spending money on services, I see (Fluff) a truck like that and say Oh hell no I don't want to pay for that.

I see a clapped out pos I say I don't want that level of not give a damn.

I see something that's been kept after and say yep that's where I want my money spent.
Thatg9659 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 04:46 AM   #54 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
Sounds like a nice rig. Do you plan to load it down or just the usual finishing tools in the bed and blueprints, one pair of muddy boots and a cooler in the backseat?

Totally get the rolling up in a nice rig thing. My mom is a high end interior designer, drives a nice rig (new XC90) and on days when she drives her old Volvo wagon (family wheelbarrow) people remark about it. Nothing negative but they notice, I'm sure there are remarks afterwards.

The Tundras seem a bit plastic fantastic and very basic to me but they definitely feel like they have the most ass. My buddy's brand new 6.2 High Country Chevy seems kinda gutless even with 425 HP. Some tuning will fix that though. The interior on that thing is friggen nice though, may want to take a look if you aren't already locked in. infotainment and creature comforts are leaps and bounds ahead of the Tundra. Your world though

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig

Last edited by KacksterK5; 05-22-2019 at 04:50 AM.
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 04:57 AM   #55 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
I've never given a bid to anyone because of the truck they drive.
Maybe OP's targeting the "shallow idiots who think you need to drive a nice truck to do good work" demographic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb View Post
I'm always currious when people say they need a presentable vehicle. cuz thats normally the i want it, talk me into thing. not reality. some of the wealthiest men i've ever met drove old minivans and f150's day to day.
The best finish carpenter I know shows up to job sites in a late 90s Town and Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Being savvy, saving and having low overhead is such a better way to live.
Agreed. Way more freedom when you don't need to spend thousands per month on your lifestyle.

Quote:
True to a point, ask yourself this, would you trust your doctor if he worked out of a tent? Or your dentist if he had a home office? Part of it is marketing.
It's professionalism whether you admit it or not. I take pride in my work and want to look professional. Call it ego, call it crazy, I like it
If the dentist with the home office was recommended to me by another customer I'd have no problem with it.

The guys who moved my mill are a father/son with a 20yo rollback who advertise machinery moving on CL. I asked for references. They gave me a massive list. I called a couple and confirmed they were legit.

The dude who does all the facilities maintenance for the rich people yacht club my friend is a part of drives a rusted out brick-nose F-superduty and he does good enough work for them.

When I pay someone I am paying them for their work, not the fact that they have a bunch of unnecessary overhead.

"Looking professional" is just "spending a bunch of money to appeal to naive fuckwits who think the house you live in or the car you drive says anything about you". If you're even moderately competent you do not need to waste your money advertising to these people.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 06:03 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 729777
Just bought a 19 tss package, leather, nav and upgraded stereo. Paid 40k otd. Really like it so far other than 14mpg.

MikeBravo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #57 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 152210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
Surprised she could hear you laughing with 2gayBroncos dick in your mouth...
your true beauty shows when you are jealous...

In college, I knew a guy that was very witty and one night he was being witty and a couple of girls were chortling away and finally, I got up and said, 'you know, Nick is a very witty dude, there is no doubt about that, but lets not forget who has the big dick.' and I calmly walked from the room... I was headed across campus to get something to eat and one of the girls came trotting after me and caught up and said, 'do you really have a big dick?'

now who is witty mofo!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
your true beauty shows when you are jealous...

In college, I knew a guy that was very witty and one night he was being witty and a couple of girls were chortling away and finally, I got up and said, 'you know, Nick is a very witty dude, there is no doubt about that, but lets not forget who has the big dick.' and I calmly walked from the room... I was headed across campus to get something to eat and one of the girls came trotting after me and caught up and said, 'do you really have a big dick?'

now who is witty mofo!
And 30 minutes later, the very unsatisfied girl realized that if a guy runs around claiming he has a big dick, itís actually the complete opposite.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #59 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
I suppose the fact is, a nice truck does mean something. So have a nice truck.

However, an argument can be made that a new truck has some negative impacts according to some.

An old truck can have a negative impact if it's not a nice truck.

So whether the truck is old or new, how you care for your equipment and the visual condition of that equipment it what you're judged on.

So, the obvious answer is to save $45k and buy the absolute nicest, garage kept, low mileage, 30 year old classic you can find, and then maintain that for another 15 years as it continues to appreciate.

I bet that even the Joneses respect a super clean OBS or Square Body.
Attached Images

Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 86646
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBravo View Post
Just bought a 19 tss package, leather, nav and upgraded stereo. Paid 40k otd. Really like it so far other than 14mpg.

That 14mpg never gets better. And don't put larger wheel/tire package on it, you'll lose about 1mpg.

I've got a 2013 Crewmax Rock Warrior. Love everything about it except the gas mileage. Oh and that damn traction control going haywire around the smallest of curves.
Been a great truck so far.
thetastelingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 220781
I had an 08 tundra that i loved. The White color was the only thing that I was not happy with. They used a single-stage paint that dulled in the course of a year and would require a buff to get the shine back. I bought it two years old and they buffed it before I picked it up and in less than a year's time, it needed it again in spots despite a few coats a wax in that time. From what I understand, the other colors use a base-clear.
Meeke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:

I bet that even the Joneses respect a super clean OBS or Square Body.
You show up to my place in that and I ain't even questioning your work or what you charge
Old 05-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #63 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 45812
Send a message via AIM to ]4RunnerKid[ Send a message via MSN to ]4RunnerKid[ Send a message via Yahoo to ]4RunnerKid[
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBravo View Post

nice truck, love that color

Party Wagon
locked, geared, caged, topless, dents

2019 Tundra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

]4RunnerKid[ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetastelingers View Post
That 14mpg never gets better. And don't put larger wheel/tire package on it, you'll lose about 1mpg.

I've got a 2013 Crewmax Rock Warrior. Love everything about it except the gas mileage. Oh and that damn traction control going haywire around the smallest of curves.
Been a great truck so far.
I'm at 12 mpg with a 3/1 level and 33's... I tow quite a bit and it stays at 12 tho!

'14 crewmax 1794 if it matters

Last edited by denverd1; 05-22-2019 at 08:37 AM.
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 54455
Careful guys, don't fuck up and get too successful, buy a brand new Powerstroke, and still have to turn down jobs.

I work for the top 5-10% of my community. I'm expected to dress, act and present myself as they do. This has afforded me to be in the top 5% as well.

Without question, I will regularly be one of the highest bidders, and my truck has nothing to do with it.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
I'm at 12 mpg with a 3/1 level and 33's... I tow quite a bit and it stays at 12 tho!

'14 crewmax 1794 if it matters
So with the tow package.....how do these do? I have a v10 4.30 ex that will get replaced with a truck....my main inkling is to go 6.2 f250, but the new f150 and trundra have my eye....mainly the f150 cause you can get a true crew cab, 6.5 bed
Old 05-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
So with the tow package.....how do these do? I have a v10 4.30 ex that will get replaced with a truck....my main inkling is to go 6.2 f250, but the new f150 and trundra have my eye....mainly the f150 cause you can get a true crew cab, 6.5 bed
I'm only towing 5-7000 lbs (jeep or 23' inboard) but I've never felt underpowered. 6 speed trans, 4.30 gears, 400 ft-lbs of torque. I know the PSD/Cummins fanboys are juicing the piss out of their torque, but it works for me.
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #68 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50866
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Quote:

I bet that even the Joneses respect a super clean OBS or Square Body. <a href="https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/grinpimp.gif" border="0" alt="" title="grinpimp" >:-)</a>
You show up to my place in that and I ain't even questioning your work or what you charge <a href="https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing.gif" border="0" alt="" title="laughing" >:-)</a>
Everybody respects the square body. My 85 K10 has many folks roll up asking if it’s for sale.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:19 AM   #69 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 45812
Send a message via AIM to ]4RunnerKid[ Send a message via MSN to ]4RunnerKid[ Send a message via Yahoo to ]4RunnerKid[
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
mine tows just fine pulling 6-7K. sags a bit when hooked up, so may look into air bags down the road if i decide to add a RTT and other camping gear
Attached Images

Party Wagon
locked, geared, caged, topless, dents

2019 Tundra

Last edited by ]4RunnerKid[; 05-22-2019 at 10:22 AM.
]4RunnerKid[ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 89546
Quote:
Couldnít agree more.
Well said.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #71 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Been considering selling the dually and CTS-V and getting a new truck. Love the the RAM interior but not sure on the new grill/headlights.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3981/overview/

Can't find one in granite crystal metallic with the black appearance package. I think that would take some ugly out of the headlights.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9680/overview/

https://www.genesteffy.com/new/Ram/2...1f629d6d32.htm

If this ^ truck had leather and the big 12 inch screen I would probably be dealing on it now. But those 2 items are another $10k

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7839/overview/

Last edited by MattS; 05-22-2019 at 10:35 AM.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #72 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
Been considering selling the dually and CTS-V and getting a new truck. Love the the RAM interior but not sure on the new grill/headlights.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3981/overview/

Can't find one in granite crystal metallic with the black appearance package. I think that would take some ugly out of the headlights.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9680/overview/

https://www.genesteffy.com/new/Ram/2...1f629d6d32.htm

If this ^ truck had leather and the big 12 inch screen I would probably be dealing on it now. But those 2 items are another $10k

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7839/overview/

Thatís insane! Why buy that when you can get a regular cab 1977 Chevy pick up with a 350 and a 4spd for four grand? Youíre just throwing money away. Youíre doing it all wrong. or get a used Ford Ranger with a TTB And a bumper that you can put a tow ball in. Both of those will do the exact same work.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 82607
Current truck minus the ram decals

current house
4600 sf

last house
5k sf

ETA: Not where I live, I just build 'em

Last edited by dave_dj1; 05-22-2019 at 10:46 AM.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2019, 10:45 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
Ive been looking at used trucks in the 40k and less range. Something like this...

Ok fryer, your not getting that for $40,000 ! Unless it has a million on the ticker?
Old 05-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 7412
I have been eying the new gmc 3500 Denali coming in 2020. I have a nice crew 6.5 half ton Chevy, but I miss the long bed. I will go gas again, no more diesels for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in