While we're on the new truck kick... - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 11:24 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 29341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
Put a Tundra wheel bearing next to an F250. You'll see why. And yes the Tundra is bigger. Look at a Tundra main bearing compared to any domestic. Compare a Tundra diff. Across the board, the Tundra is better engineered. It's not close. Toyota sells more trucks than anyone in the world for a reason. And you shouldn't be surprised that a Tundra still outruns a Raptor in the desert too...
Should change your name to "fanboy"

Id concede they have better engineering in many areas, but you are talking out of your ass in regards to their presence in the fleet market and your raptor comment only further shows your delusion.
supersize75k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 05:19 AM   #127 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Put a Tundra wheel bearing next to an F250. You'll see why. And yes the Tundra is bigger. Look at a Tundra main bearing compared to any domestic. Compare a Tundra diff. Across the board, the Tundra is better engineered. It's not close. Toyota sells more trucks than anyone in the world for a reason. And you shouldn't be surprised that a Tundra still outruns a Raptor in the desert too...
Every half ton wheel bearing is laughably small compared to the SD60 wheel bearing an F250 has.

The Tundra diff is a joke compared to the Ford 9.75 that the F150s are using. etc. etc. etc. The Tundra is nothing special. While we're on the subject, have you seen the frame on a newer F150? The Tundra and every other half ton from that era or before, looks like a 70s F100 by comparison.

You're an idiot and a fanboy. I hope you die (preferably sooner rather than later) in a slow and painful way that befits your stupidity.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 06-12-2019 at 05:55 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Maybe in your shithole they buy Tundras. Where I live it's all Ford and GM for half tons, and the bigger stuff is an even split between the big three. Maybe that's because of road salt but regardless the reliability differences between the brands is greatly overblown.

Don't you have a Roxor to be bitching about anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie06 View Post
Pretty much a mix of GM, Ford, and Ram here. The wind turbine crews here from Utah seem to all use Rams. Oil field is a mix of the other two. Havenít seen a Toyota as a fleet vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on the business. In one of my clients fleet of ~600 vehicles, the only Fords are transit connects. That's strictly due to the job task. The ford half tons are ragged out and used up before 150k. Toyota and GM hold up well. The mechanics actually compiled lists of repairs and the Fords cost 2x+ to maintain.

This is in the hands of monkeys who dont give a shit across the US. Its different than you running up and down the highway.

Insert "but in the orel feld it's the toughest and most badass and F150s will pull the chew out of your sister wifes mouth"
Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 64213
Quote:
This is why lots of small businesses buy Tundras. Down time costs money. There's a point where your fleet has enough to have a backup and you can buy cheaper Ford fleet trucks. Until you have an extra vehicle in the fleet - if reliability matters for your business, one truck is not like the others. Fuel cost is usually negligible for any business that is buying new trucks frequently. Over 100k miles 13 vs 16mpg is a couple thousand dollars. Breaking down one at an inopportune time erases any fuel savings.

Toyota Tundra Reliability - Dashboard Light

Ford F Series Reliability - Dashboard Light

Dodge Ram Reliability - Dashboard Light

Chevrolet Silverado Reliability - Dashboard Light
Damn, where did you find that website, very interesting.
89breaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #130 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
don't compare the Tundra to what Toyota sells elsewhere... not the same.
rockota is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 53743
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersize75k5 View Post
Should change your name to "fanboy"

Id concede they have better engineering in many areas, but you are talking out of your ass in regards to their presence in the fleet market and your raptor comment only further shows your delusion.
https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...+baja+1000.htm

https://jalopnik.com/the-2017-ford-r...the-1789221388

Do you see a difference?
jetboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 53743
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89breaker View Post
Damn, where did you find that website, very interesting.
Nice thing is that they use millions of vehicles - basically every vehicle that goes through all the major auctions. So the sample size is huge and the results are very well supported.

What's pretty interesting is how all of the full size trucks have improved significantly in the last 10 years (except the Tundra because it was already better). That may just be a bubble in the data because the late model vehicles haven't been out long enough. But it could be that they're improving manufacturing quality.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 AM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Looks like about 19 minutes difference, 2 years and two different courses.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 53743
Quote:
Every half ton wheel bearing is laughably small compared to the SD60 wheel bearing an F250 has.

The Tundra diff is a joke compared to the Ford 9.75 that the F150s are using. etc. etc. etc. The Tundra is nothing special. While we're on the subject, have you seen the frame on a newer F150? The Tundra and every other half ton from that era or before, looks like a 70s F100 by comparison.

You're an idiot and a fanboy. I hope you die (preferably sooner rather than later) in a slow and painful way that befits your stupidity.
Put them side by side on a bench. Take a look. I'll help:

The tundra is the larger one on the left...

The Ford 9.75 is cute. It's almost half way between a Tacoma and Tundra rear diff. Ford did make it an ultra low pinion - so that's nice that the drive shaft is exposed - because Ford also didn't engineer it to be protected like the Tundra is with a carrier bearing.

Can you spot the long exposed drive shaft? (tundra top, F150 bottom - which one do you want to take through the rocks?)

vs

Speaking of frames... https://jalopnik.com/are-ford-raptor...oading-5820104

Last edited by jetboy; 06-12-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #135 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Put them side by side on a bench. Take a look. I'll help:

The tundra is the larger one on the left...

Speaking of frames... https://jalopnik.com/are-ford-raptor...oading-5820104
The Tundra would have been on its roof long before it got to the bump that bent the frames in that article. You can bend a frame on anything if you try hard enough. Go find some pics of an actual F150 frame and Tundra frame. The new (i.e. aluminum generation) ones are beef, the web in the middle section is taller than 1-tons of decades past.

That's not an SD60 wheel bearing. That's a '99-04 wheel bearing which is pretty universally considered to be the minimum size for that application and too small for big tires/off road. Let's see your precious Tundra bearing compared to the 05+.

I'd tell you to pull your head out of your ass but I know you won't because you like the taste of shit too much.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 06-12-2019 at 09:06 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 53743
Quote:
The Tundra would have been on its roof long before it got to the bump that bent the frames in that article. You can bend a frame on anything if you try hard enough. Go find some pics of an actual F150 frame and Tundra frame. The new (i.e. aluminum generation) ones are beef, the web in the middle section is taller than 1-tons of decades past.

That's not an SD60 wheel bearing. That's a '99-04 wheel bearing which is pretty universally considered to be the minimum size for that application and too small for big tires/off road. Let's see your precious Tundra bearing compared to the 05+.

I'd tell you to pull your head out of your ass but I know you won't because you like the taste of shit too much.
Incidentally the 4Runner did spend some time on it's roof in the 2009 Baja 1000 - and still finished higher than the Raptor has so far. Ford put two trucks in the 2010 and the list of broken parts was a mile long. Spindles, multiple wheel bearings, steering racks, steering pumps, radiator leak. That's just two factory supported trucks who both DNF'd. Then Tundra won the stock class in 2014 (beating a raptor in the same class). The factory Ford truck DNF'd on time. Ford tried again in 2016 the '17 raptor finished 50 seconds before DNF. Beat by 4hours by a Land Cruiser. A stock class Tacoma also beat the new Raptor in the Mint 400 head to head on the same course. The problem isn't the Raptor's speed. It's the durability. There's a pretty large body of race results that seem to end the same way.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 77578
Send a message via AIM to XJben
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nuts View Post
Not just aimed at thee Mud.

Here, if I see a tradie in a good, clean, straight 3yr plus vehicle I assume they're sensible.

I like it that way.

Mine is 19 yrs old though. But well set up, lots of comments. I wash it every 5 weeks or so. Has some dints too I've got zero chance of going any higher workwise, so I enjoy being able to get me and my tools to work extremely economically.

Different folks are in different fields of work, so it's a good idea to have a really good presenting vehicle at times for sure.
If I see any contractor/handyman/worker that has put tires on his truck that are too wide, regardless of make or age of the vehicle, I immediately know the person is a mouth breathing douche and won't be getting a dime from me.

Now, a well used stock work truck, thats fine...work trucks are work trucks for a reason.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #138 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
I just read all the Ford vs Toyota reples. Not gonna lie. This have been a great read. It's really a shame Jeff isn't here to throw rocks.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in