Out of state registration? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2019, 05:24 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
Boo hoo hoo that shit is all on there for a reason, he knew it was gone when he bought it. The reason it's there is for the better of mankind (according to them)
I looked into registering an old CJ7 in another state, it would have been no problem getting the registration but to get it insured I was told would be impossible living in another state.
Welp, I guess you donít know the shit show that went on when these systems failed? Thatís why people deleted them. And no, he knew it had a bigger exhaust on it. He isnít a gearhead. He looked for a low mile used Duramax for a year and a half. He isnít alone. There are thousands of guys in his shoes. I talked a teacher at my school into buying an 08 their old guy neighbor had. He literally would start it and drive it around the block once a month. He traded them in every four years and bought a new one. They bought it last year and low and behold. He had deleted it. Itís for sale now. The guy was an old geeser like me and had it deleted. There is a reason people did that. Boo Hoo!
Old 05-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 96278
I second the LLC in Montana. Very popular with the RV crowd. There are companies that do just that.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog57 View Post
Welp, I guess you donít know the shit show that went on when these systems failed? Thatís why people deleted them. And no, he knew it had a bigger exhaust on it. He isnít a gearhead. He looked for a low mile used Duramax for a year and a half. He isnít alone. There are thousands of guys in his shoes. I talked a teacher at my school into buying an 08 their old guy neighbor had. He literally would start it and drive it around the block once a month. He traded them in every four years and bought a new one. They bought it last year and low and behold. He had deleted it. Itís for sale now. The guy was an old geeser like me and had it deleted. There is a reason people did that. Boo Hoo!
One thing to note, even if the state didn't give a shit it was still illegal under federal law to delete the emissions equipment. Whether you agree with that law or not is irrelevant, you still can get zapped for deleting stuff.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 06:33 AM   #29 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5.5 View Post
I second the LLC in Montana. Very popular with the RV crowd. There are companies that do just that.
We have a friend that does that with his RV. The corp. in Montana owns the RV and he rents it from the corp.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #30 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotee View Post
Was wondering that about CA smog. I need to register a vehicle in my name from my father's name.

If the physical address is in Lake county but the mailing address is Sacramento county, am I not going to be smogging it anymore?

Correct and since the transfer is immediate family it wont need smog the first time you register it in your name either. And if all your other vehicles are getting stored at pops place none of them will need it again
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 86724
the hot ticket for avoiding the taxes on your supercar is registerig it in montana.

there are services that will setup your LLC and shit.
https://www.49dollarmontanaregistere...a-registration
Old 05-28-2019, 08:12 AM   #32 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Here in NM we have one county that requires emissions. Everyone I know in that county, that needs to avoid emissions, registers their vehicles to a post office box in a different county.

Yes the MVD will tell you you cant register it to a PO box. So don't tell them its a PO box.

Example:

PO box 442
69 State Tax Ave
Pissant, UT 99875

Becomes:

69 State Tax Ave
Box 442
Pissant, UT 99875

Now it looks like an apartment and no one is the wiser. And your mail will still make it into that PO box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
One thing to note, even if the state didn't give a shit it was still illegal under federal law to delete the emissions equipment. Whether you agree with that law or not is irrelevant, you still can get zapped for deleting stuff.
Iím dumb Gary, but Iím not stupid. All edge tuners or any other tune is by law illegal. Have you ever changed carbs, cams, higher compression pistons, etc..... welp that was illegal. You altered the vehicle. Put a lift on a truck. By god...illegal!
Old 05-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
the hot ticket for avoiding the taxes on your supercar is registerig it in montana.

there are services that will setup your LLC and shit.
https://www.49dollarmontanaregistere...a-registration
My folks have done it for years (RV not supercar ). They recommended it to my in-laws when he upgraded his coach. Saved around $16k he says.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:55 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 102467
UPS stores rent mailboxes.

They come with physical addresses. Got one in a county that doesn't need smog?

This is YMMV as some businesses don't recognize the address.

I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler
LigBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Iím dumb Gary, but Iím not stupid. All edge tuners or any other tune is by law illegal. Have you ever changed carbs, cams, higher compression pistons, etc..... welp that was illegal. You altered the vehicle. Put a lift on a truck. By god...illegal!

False.

In fact some states have laws letting you know specifically what you have to do when you lift a truck. Once they make those laws it makes the others pretty much null and void.
Example:
http://www.liftlaws.com/washington_lift_laws.htm

And yes you can say the other laws are still on the books.

But remember itís illegal to shoot a whale from a parking metered space in washington.
More than 2 Indians caught off the reservation together between dusk and down constitute a war party and are to be shot on sight.

So yea just because its on the books does not mean its enforceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
My folks have done it for years (RV not supercar ). They recommended it to my in-laws when he upgraded his coach. Saved around $16k he says.
shit, with what some RVs cost you could probably buy a fucking ferrari.

but georgia recently went insane on the whole thing and is demanding that owners of exotic cars/RVs pay "their fair share" now, and is sending people with cars registered in other states big ass tax bills, for the whole time you've owned the car.

minnesota too
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/...-registration/

so the whole thing will come to an end eventually, but if he gets a few years out of it, then that's what he gets.

I'm not sure they'll be going after a regular guy with a pickup though, since everything there is obviously about lost tax revenue on 250K+ vehicles.

Last edited by 87manche; 05-28-2019 at 11:21 AM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 11:22 AM   #38 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
shit, with what some RVs cost you could easily buy a couple fucking ferraris.
FIFY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:

but georgia recently went insane on the whole thing and is demanding that owners of exotic cars/RVs pay "their fair share" now, and is sending people with cars registered in other states big ass tax bills, for the whole time you've owned the car.

minnesota too

so the whole thing will come to an end eventually, but if he gets a few years out of it, then that's what he gets.

I'm not sure they'll be going after a regular guy with a pickup though, since everything there is obviously about lost tax revenue on 250K+ vehicles.
Yeah I don't the precise legalities. My folks began doing it when they became full time RVers. They had no legal residence for a while. Heck, the town here where they own a lot wouldn't assign them a road address for a mailbox (and thereby mailing address) as there was no permanent structure, and the lot on HHI has a private mail box number, so same vagaries as a UPS box address. They didn't do it specifically to bail on taxes, and I'm pretty sure my Dad wouldn't have done it were it patently illegal. My FIL, eh...

Dunno how NH stacks up in the supercar regard, but a friend of mine works in a lake town near here. He was standing in line at the town clerk and the guy in front on him was registering his new 918. Cost him $90k to register.

Guy shrugged and said, 'At least it's less than it cost me to pave the last mile of the road so I can bring it home.'
Old 05-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:

Dunno how NH stacks up in the supercar regard, but a friend of mine works in a lake town near here. He was standing in line at the town clerk and the guy in front on him was registering his new 918. Cost him $90k to register.

By northeast standard NH generally sucks by when it comes to fees because they don't tax the shit out of everything so the cost of a registration, permit or whatever generally reflects the cost to the government.

That said, they don't have sales or income tax and it's still massively cheaper to live in NH than any of the commie shithole states.
arse_sidewards is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Just did the math. There was a Prevost that showed up in 'Interesting Trucks For Sale'. You could buy a new McLaren 570 for less than it would cost to register it in Maine.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
By northeast standard NH generally sucks by when it comes to fees because they don't tax the shit out of everything so the cost of a registration, permit or whatever generally reflects the cost to the government.

That said, they don't have sales or income tax and it's still massively cheaper to live in NH than any of the commie shithole states.
That I know. I've never had to register a supercar elsewhere, hence not knowing comparatively.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 11056
Send a message via AIM to B-rock Send a message via Yahoo to B-rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAwesome View Post
Kind of a derail but WA state got rid of all emissions starting in 2019.

washington state ends 2020.

https://ecology.wa.gov/Air-Climate/A...ons-check-ends
B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
You'd be surprised at the number of people that are ignorant of that. BTW not all lifts are illegal.

Quote:
Old 05-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
You'd be surprised at the number of people that are ignorant of that. BTW not all lifts are illegal.

I know a guy abot 15 years older than me that had a cop write him a ticket for altering his vehicle. He but better performance tires on it. Slight size difference and aftermarket bumpers. He brought in the spec sheets on what the crown vics came with vs what the department had used to replace wear items. Turns out the cops put different tires on their cars when they wear out. Seems like they values budget vs keeping it ďfactoryĒ.
The ticket was dropped.

thefishguy77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 40795
Quote:

minnesota too

It all comes down to "residency" - New York (City) is going after income tax on people that are claiming Florida residence but maintain a NYC/NYS address and appear to be living fulltime in NYC/NYS. There was recent article about NY Tax agents using veterinary bills to show residency.

I've been cited twice in CA for improperly registered vehicles and had the tickets dismissed both times. I've also received a few of the letters from CHP "Cheaters" website that people use to anonymously report out of state plates belonging to their neighbors.
brian4wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
I know a guy abot 15 years older than me that had a cop write him a ticket for altering his vehicle. He but better performance tires on it. Slight size difference and aftermarket bumpers. He brought in the spec sheets on what the crown vics came with vs what the department had used to replace wear items. Turns out the cops put different tires on their cars when they wear out. Seems like they values budget vs keeping it ďfactoryĒ.
The ticket was dropped.

Laws like that vary by state. Some states don't allow any lifts, but here in Califonia they limit the height of the frame from the road. The height varies by the GVWR of the vehicle.

In California Body Lifts are limited to a maximum of 5 inches. Suspension lifts are also restricted by state frame height laws. The maximum frame height for vehicles under 4,500 GVWR is 27 inches, 4,501-7,500 is 30 inches and 7,501 to 10,000 have a maximum height of 31 inches.

California Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in