Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Out of state registration? (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2682954)

rockdog57 05-27-2019 06:27 PM

Out of state registration?

My son has a 08 Duramax. The county started emissions inspection on diesel trucks this year. Every guy with these things has deleted them. He bought it off a dealer five years ago and just paid it off a year ago. It was deleted when he bought it. We didnít have a crystal ball and know this was coming. Iíve priced parts and we are looking at almost eight grand for parts. Shops want over ten to return all the emissions back to stock. It is a very nice low mile truck. That said he doesnít have ten grand. Some people have suggested licensing it out of state. I have no idea if that is even doable. Have any of you ever licensed a truck out of state? If so what state and how did you do it? Flame suit on. :flipoff2:

KarlVP 05-27-2019 06:38 PM

Is it just county or town?

The higher population areas in Wa state require emissions testing, but we here in the country don't have to get it.

Rttoys 05-27-2019 06:54 PM

$100 to the state inspector and a good EFIlive program to say everything is ďreadyĒ, is an option. :homer:

What state?

TrikeKid 05-27-2019 07:04 PM

Is it the whole state or could it be registered in another county etc...? My folks live outside the emissions test line, I register my newer stuff at their address to skip the emissions and transit tax BS, knocks about 2/3 off the cost of registering my daily driver.

rockdog57 05-27-2019 07:14 PM

It is county. The three bigger countyís in Utah have went to emissions on diesel. The coal rollers smoking everybody out at every light pissed enough people off they pushed it in. Registration in another county probably isnít an option. This is the first year and they will be onto that. I had somebody mention that their father in law had registered his truck in Texas for years because it was way cheaper. He had no idea how he went about it.

Black Sheep 05-27-2019 07:19 PM

I register all my trucks in another county because of emissions.

Guess what, no one cares. Business as usual. My inspections even come from a different county than those two.

xjtony 05-27-2019 07:22 PM

It’s not difficult, but you really need your driver license and vehicle registration to be the same state. My buddy always registered his vehicles here in MS even though he lived in Arizona/New Mexico/Texas/California etc. when he was in the army. Said it was cheaper. His mom lives here in MS so that’s how he did it

TOAdisco311 05-27-2019 07:32 PM

South Dakota. No inspections and you don’t have to be a resident of the state. There are/were services to handle the paperwork. I used it when I was traveling 100% and kept getting tired of driving halfway across the country to get a inspection

TireFryerSS 05-27-2019 07:32 PM

1st off what are they doing to test the emissions of the truck? Figure that out, then figure out how to beat it. If its a plug in to check for codes and a visual check to make sure the equipment is in place, not really a big deal.

Captain Call 05-27-2019 07:33 PM

Sanpete county is still non emissions and everyone knows someone in Sanpete. Just do the county thing. Have him get his lisc. Changed to wherever the pickup is registered. Don't do out of state if you can avoid it. What county? Salt Lake, Utah and I believe Davis have been doing diesel emissions testing for years.

Edit: I believe Washington County does testing too.

dethmachinefab 05-27-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOAdisco311 (Post 44458414)
South Dakota. No inspections and you donít have to be a resident of the state. There are/were services to handle the paperwork. I used it when I was traveling 100% and kept getting tired of driving halfway across the country to get a inspection

Yes, there has been a few threads about this. I think it was my dakota address that someone here used.

SuperAwesome 05-27-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlVP (Post 44458334)
Is it just county or town?

The higher population areas in Wa state require emissions testing, but we here in the country don't have to get it.

Kind of a derail but WA state got rid of all emissions starting in 2019.

thefishguy77 05-27-2019 07:51 PM

You can put it in a trust in a county that doesnít require it. Out of state trust might be hard because the rig is supposed to spend a designated amount of time there. But an in state trust in a free county would probably work.

If its just a city/county thing. If its a state thing out of state might be an option. Especially if he get a DL from that state as well. Look in to companies that help people get military rigs, humvee type stuff, licensed and then you have reciprocity for 50 state licensing. But instead just keep it in that out of state trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockdog57 05-27-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Call (Post 44458420)
Sanpete county is still non emissions and everyone knows someone in Sanpete. Just do the county thing. Have him get his lisc. Changed to wherever the pickup is registered. Don't do out of state if you can avoid it. What county? Salt Lake, Utah and I believe Davis have been doing diesel emissions testing for years.

Edit: I believe Washington County does testing too.

Utah County. The problem is he doesnít have an address to register to in another county. I have a niece in Juab county. But she said if we used their address. If the dmv asked them, they would tell them he didnít have their permission.

2big bronco 05-27-2019 08:10 PM

Just a thought... $1000 or less on ebay will buy you a place with an adress that's in a smog exempt county/state. List that as physical adress and use current for mailing. Then charge all his friends $100 to "park and register" thier vehichles there.

Or

I may have in the past completely made up a "phisical" adress in a smog exempt zip code. The dmv doesnt drive around checking those things

rockdog57 05-27-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TireFryerSS (Post 44458418)
1st off what are they doing to test the emissions of the truck? Figure that out, then figure out how to beat it. If its a plug in to check for codes and a visual check to make sure the equipment is in place, not really a big deal.

It isnít that simple. When the particulate filter is gone. Cat is gone. All the shit on the engine is gone. I know someone with the exact same truck that took it in. They failed it immediately. He asked his options, they said sell it. Iíve read the emissions rules. There are no, spend this much each year and get a pass. It pisses me off to no end. There are tons of guys that are screwed by this. Many like my son, bought the truck deleted without even realizing it.

Captain Call 05-27-2019 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdog57 (Post 44458460)
Utah County. The problem is he doesnít have an address to register to in another county. I have a niece in Juab county. But she said if we used their address. If the dmv asked them, they would tell them he didnít have their permission.

That's straight up fucked of them. They think the dmv boogieman is gonna get them? If I still lived in Utah I'd totally let you use my address. Good luck. There's someone who isn't scared of a nothing burger who will help you I'm sure.

yotee 05-27-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2big bronco (Post 44458462)
Just a thought... $1000 or less on ebay will buy you a place with an adress that's in a smog exempt county/state. List that as physical adress and use current for mailing. Then charge all his friends $100 to "park and register" thier vehichles there.

Or

I may have in the past completely made up a "phisical" adress in a smog exempt zip code. The dmv doesnt drive around checking those things

Was wondering that about CA smog. I need to register a vehicle in my name from my father's name.

If the physical address is in Lake county but the mailing address is Sacramento county, am I not going to be smogging it anymore?

Lincoln 05-27-2019 08:36 PM

Friend of mine here just registered a corporation in an exempt county then licenses the vehicles under the corporation.

RusM 05-27-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Call (Post 44458476)
That's straight up fucked of them. They think the dmv boogieman is gonna get them? If I still lived in Utah I'd totally let you use my address. Good luck. There's someone who isn't scared of a nothing burger who will help you I'm sure.

LDS:laughing:

Captain Call 05-27-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RusM (Post 44458494)
LDS:laughing:

Say no more. You just need to find a fellow heathan to ask. :smokin:

Crankylove 05-27-2019 10:18 PM

I just moved out of Salt Lake County to Tooele County, no more inspections for me.

When I registered my vehicles here a month ago, they didnít ask for anything to prove residence, I told them I just moved to tooele, and they said ďokĒ. All they wanted was a state issued picture ID. I gave them my CCW and drivers license, which both still show the old address, they gave me registration papers.

May be worth a shot to at least give it a try in one of the non emissions counties. Hell, find a UPS store in a non-emissions county and use that address.

arse_sidewards 05-28-2019 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2big bronco (Post 44458462)

Or

This.

I wager you can find a small square of land outside one of those three counties, put a mailbox and a free dilapidated camper on it for less than the cost of parts.

dave_dj1 05-28-2019 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockdog57 (Post 44458474)
It isnít that simple. When the particulate filter is gone. Cat is gone. All the shit on the engine is gone. I know someone with the exact same truck that took it in. They failed it immediately. He asked his options, they said sell it. Iíve read the emissions rules. There are no, spend this much each year and get a pass. It pisses me off to no end. There are tons of guys that are screwed by this. Many like my son, bought the truck deleted without even realizing it.

Boo hoo hoo :flipoff2: that shit is all on there for a reason, he knew it was gone when he bought it. The reason it's there is for the better of mankind (according to them)
I looked into registering an old CJ7 in another state, it would have been no problem getting the registration but to get it insured I was told would be impossible living in another state.

blacksheep10 05-28-2019 05:06 AM

I have a couple friends that register everything in Montana and South Dakota. The South Dakota one is essentially a railroad gypsy and registering his two new trucks and new toy hauler in new Harley saved him an insane amount of money because there is no property tax and maybe no sales tax I don’t remember. The other friend registers all of his stuff in Montana and it is a similar situation, $1200 to get set up and you are essentially setting up an LLC in that state. The $1200 is for the people to sit in an office in handle all of that shit for you and take care of all of the mailing everything that comes your way and mail your tags. After you pay one time there is nothing to pay every year after that. He has been driving around our Kansas town for a lot of years with Montana tags