Another work boot thread - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2019, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 141094
Another work boot thread

I sirched. Here and Google. Didn't really find what I was looking for. I currently wear 8" Carolina loggers, as the taller heal really help my lower back. I'm a mechanic, so I work 10+ hour days on concrete. Also stepping in oil and coolant and god knows what my sloppy coworkers spill on the floor. Not saying I'm perfect, but I keep my bays cleaner than the rest of those pigs.

The older I get, the more my body is playing tricks on me. Dirty, stinky tricks. My feet sweat more now that they ever have before, and my feet are just miserable in the leather boots I have worn for decades.

I'm in need of a oil and chemical resistant sole (vibram has always worked well for me). Im open to leather or synthetic materials for the upper as long as they are chemical resistant but above all else, they need to breathe well and allow lots of air circulation. I would prefer a soft toe. I'm not afraid to spend good money as long as I'm buying a quality product that will last me at least a year.

And go....
Old 05-30-2019, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 171335
White's or Nick's. The end.
Captain Call is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 09:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 102813
In on first page, fuck Danners.

Check out WesCo

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]

Last edited by Mr Stubs; 05-30-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 106178
I’m wearing a pair of Keen Mt Vernon. I’m a mechanic as well but I walk more than most and average about 8 miles a day. They aren’t the most breathable shoe, but they don’t bother me even at 100+. I have had them 18 months and they will make it 2 years no problem. My only complaint with them is that the laces they came with were way too long, but they are the most badass laces that I’ve ever had come with a pair of shoes.

Keen also has more breathable options so check them out. Try to get ones that are US built, there is a definite quality difference.

Last edited by takotruckin; 05-30-2019 at 09:46 PM.
takotruckin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 110672
I got some Thorogoods recently. They are comfortable and seem to be holding up good. American made too.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 231443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms97ZJ View Post
I got some Thorogoods recently. They are comfortable and seem to be holding up good. American made too.
This. Love my thorogoods!!
Old 05-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 31211
I worked on a ranch when I was a kid and teenager, and work outdoors doing construction type work everyday now. I've worn a lot of different boots. Old school Justin Ropers, Wolverine, Chippewa high heel lace up loggers, etc. By far, the most comfortable and sturdy boot has been the Keen listed below. I've been abusing this boot everyday for two years, and while the sole almost has no tread, the boot is still holding up. Never rolled an ankle, still stays water proof, warm enough in the Colorado winters, and not hot or sweaty feet in the summer. And, I'm 240-250 lbs, so not easy on footwear. Also, the steel toe has a rubber mold around it, so the leather around the toe doesn't get cut/ripped up when it gets kicked into something hard/sharp. I never even notice the steel toe is there unless I drop something on it. The sole is Vibram.

We had a rough winter here in CO. Worked outside in deep snow all winter. Wore these boots, never put on my snow boots. My nephew was complaining his waterproof snow boots were too cold. As a bonus, it really is the most comfortable boot or shoe I own. It'd be nice to have a newer pair to wear around town as my work boots look pretty weathered. If they ever stop making this boot, I'll be pissed (should probably buy a few pairs to stock up).

Only thing to note, the first pair I bought about 4 years ago, were a little too narrow for my foot and at the end of the day, my feet weren't loving life. The pair I bought two years ago, I bought the EE width, and they are perfect. I normally wear a size 12, and my boots are 11.5 and EE width. Not cheap, but well worth the price. I would find a place to try them on to find the right fit.

Keen Utility Dark Brown Mens Dallas Wellington

These work boots feature waterproof full-grain leather, a oil and slip-resistant non-marking rubber sole, and more. Stay protected in these work boots.

• Waterproof Full-Grain Leather
• Goodyear Welt Construction
• 2-Zone Comfort Lining
• TPU Stability Shank
• Steel Toe
• Oil and Slip-Resistant Non-Marking Rubber Sole
• Removable Metatomical Dual Density EVA Footbed

Last edited by charlieboyd65; 05-30-2019 at 10:38 PM.
charlieboyd65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 53528
for people with sweaty feet i highly recommend getting two pairs of what ever boot you get, alternate them day to day so they actually have time to dry out before you put them back on. ive been doing this for a couple years now and wont ever go back to a single pair of boots
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
for people with sweaty feet i highly recommend getting two pairs of what ever boot you get, alternate them day to day so they actually have time to dry out before you put them back on. ive been doing this for a couple years now and wont ever go back to a single pair of boots
If I took your advice I would be almost a grand deep in boot cost every year.

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]

Last edited by Mr Stubs; 05-30-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
Yes, but you have two pairs of boots, so they will last twice as long as one pair. Not spending additional money, just more money up front.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboyd65 View Post
Yes, but you have two pairs of boots, so they will last twice as long as one pair. Not spending additional money, just more money up front.
No shit Sherlock.

It’s just that not everyone can justify the up front cost, quality boots can be expensive.

Last edited by Mr Stubs; 05-30-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 210244
I am a heavy equipment field tech and spend roughly equal time in the woods and on concrete and I really like the Red Wing fire fighters. Granted I have White's Pacs for when it's cold and wet and I rarely work in anything over 90*. But I wear them probably 340 days a year for 10 hours or more with no issues.

Also Wigwam Wolf socks.

My Diesel Sport Trac Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
69DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
No shit Sherlock.

Its just that not everyone can justify the up front cost, quality boots can be expensive.
Keep looking, Watson.

Yeah, I get it. I really do need a new pair myself as my soles are about gone, but I'm two cheap to drop $200 once, so I'm not really talking from a practical perspective. I just wanted to make sure you understood the whole financial layout of the idea.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 29900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Call View Post
White's or Nick's. The end.
Nicks was sold and has changed up. Local shops are now selling Frank's which apparently the old Nicks manager working out of the old Nicks shop.

https://franksboots.com
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2019, 11:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
I just picked these up last week. I am a shoe guy, never liked boots but the new job requires certain things like steel toe, slip & oil resistance along with a defined heel and these fit the bill.

They're already getting comfortable a week in and my feet don't kill me too bad even at the end of 10 hr days doing pavement work.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-BRA...cgid=work_mens

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 12:27 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 146689
Quote:
You're wearing out a pair of handmades a year? Damn!

Just got these and so far they are comfortable and fit my odd shaped foot.
https://www.irishsetterboots.com/wor...-st-83632.html

Last edited by RusM; 05-31-2019 at 12:29 AM.
RusM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 04:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 624161
Hiax boots are my go to while on patrol. They specialize in bunker boots for the FD guys. Rotate boots or use boot dryer.
DSB91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 04:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 653210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfowlkes View Post
X3 on the Goods...working in a machine shop(coolant, oil, chips) they hold up and don't kill your back. FUCK loggers on concrete..no more for me.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:57 AM   #19 (permalink)
today

Member # 225557
thornbirds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 06:29 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 1930
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfowlkes View Post
Love my thorogoods too!
YJ4RoX is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 07:04 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 4251
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post

The older I get, the more my body is playing tricks on me. Dirty, stinky tricks. My feet sweat more now that they ever have before, and my feet are just miserable in the leather boots I have worn for decades.
You may have a sock problem. Some socks trap the stink.

These have fixed all my sticky feet problems. Expensive but they wear really long if you can keep from dropping welding slag on them...

Smart Wool
Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I have a pair of old Dickies that I bought close to 10 years ago. I freaking love them! They aren't water proof. But are very water resistant. I spill oil and crap on them all the time. They are very comfortable. They have a great steel toe. I've had them resoled and they are due for another new set of soles again. But the shoe itself is still good, even if they look like they've been to hell and back.

I'm not positive these are the exact same. Mine are a dark brown. But they look like to have the same architecture and the price is pretty similar if I recall. I definitely bought them at Walmart back around the time they first picked up the dickies brand.

You might read the reviews. Quite a lot of positive things said. And at the price, you can buy 5 pairs for what a set of comparable Red Wings costs.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Genuine-D...-Boot/43160403

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Genuine-D...-Boot/43160403
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
You may have a sock problem. Some socks trap the stink.

These have fixed all my sticky feet problems. Expensive but they wear really long if you can keep from dropping welding slag on them...

Smart Wool
I wear these. Sam's club has them for cheap every year around Christmas. Best socks I've ever used.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2019, 07:40 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 118035
timberland pros
Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 AM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 52569
Send a message via MSN to Juztyn00
I never liked wearing boots all day, too hot and heavy, When I was swing wrenches I went with a composite toe Reebok. They are oil resistant and breathe well and much more comfortable and lighter than most boots not to mention cheaper. Definitely worth trying.
Juztyn00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in