The American diet... I'm ready for a change. - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 144511
First off, let me say, you're a brave soul talking about a vegetarian diet around here!

Almost two years ago, my wife and I were in the same boat as you. We needed a change. We were always tired and lethargic, we were healthy at face value, but never felt like it. We ate meat because we were raised to eat meat as an important protein, but we could probably do without it. We were stuck sitting down to a meat/starch/vegetable plate every night at dinner.

So one day, we just quit. Almost went full-on vegan overnight. We have chickens, so we never gave up eating our eggs, but besides that, all meat has been gone and un-missed. I'll use the occasional dash of cheese here and there for flavoring or texture, but mostly all dairy is gone too.

My wife and I have had intestinal issues for most of our lives. She battles constipation, and I was gifted my mom's ulcerative colitis, which gives me bouts of explosive diarrhea with little warning, often 3-5 times per week.

After switching diets, my wife has become as regular as they come, and I have only had three bouts of diarrhea in almost two years (all three after eating at restaurants). The change has been phenominal. Our energy levels have been through the roof (the desire for a midday nap is gone), I lost 15 pounds in the first month and have kept it off without even thinking about it, and our skin and hair just looks healthier.

I used to have borderline high blood pressure and cholesterol; I'm really curious to have it checked now. I no longer hear my heartbeat in my ears when I bend over to put my shoes on.

The only real drawback is the trips to the grocery store. You really have to plan your meals to make sure you have what you need, and produce is more expensive than meat and processed foods, so it is a hair more expensive. But so worth it.

I will say, our kids were hard sells. We still make them the occasional burger or chicken breast. They only put up with so many vegetables.

PM me if you want some good recipes. Good luck!
Old 06-04-2019, 05:28 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 87698
good stuff...

Thanks flecker and Mattafact

fasten your seat belt, it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your rig
----

NRA LIFE MEMBER

----
beefdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefdawg View Post
good stuff...

I really didn't do anything... but Mattafact, hot dang!

Better than most the info I scoured the net for.

It's only been a few days, so not sure yet on how I feel as opposed to another diet... and on some valuable advice here, the wife and I are easing into it.

Will have to report back on progress and any good/ bad changes.

And thanks itlksez for that info as well!
Old 06-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #79 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker View Post
I really didn't do anything... but Mattafact, hot dang!

Better than most the info I scoured the net for.

It's only been a few days, so not sure yet on how I feel as opposed to another diet... and on some valuable advice here, the wife and I are easing into it.

Will have to report back on progress and any good/ bad changes.

And thanks itlksez for that info as well!

Easing into it is some of the best advice. Too many people make a drastic change and bail on it within a month or so because they miss their "old diet". Easing into lets you get used to it and more easily accept it.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefdawg View Post
good stuff...

No worries. I'm always around to answer any questions I can.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 146689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
I only ask about the testosterone because you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_obeR1OIm8

Surprisingly the American Diabetes Association website has a ton of great meal tips and recipes. The idea of the "diabetic" diet is so old school that the meals they suggest are good for anyone.
Haha! Fucking toast and oatmeal for a diabetic? No wonder people take continually higher and higher doses of insulin and get their limbs cut off listening to that shit advice.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 700186
meat > plants.

Cut out all carbs. If you can't, cut out all processed carbs. Processed corn and grain are killing us all. Good for you for doing something though.
Buck Wild Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
I have maybe two beers a year. And maybe the occasional Jamesons with club soda... I really don't drink.

Smoked on and off for a number of years, but have been on that wagon for some time now.

Drink plenty of water...

My typical day of food looks like this:

Breakfast.
Oatmeal, with fruit, cereal and milk
Eggs and some pico de gallo, sometimes bacon (seldom)

Snacks are nuts and fruits, yogurt (plain)... ritz with some cheese, chips

Lunch.
Tuna sammich, egg sammich, PBJ, hamburger, or other style of food.

Dinner.
Pasta with salad
Salad with a chicken breast
Salmon with rice, veggies and so on. You get the jist

I don't drink soda, or sugary drinks, have plenty of water
I weigh 182 lbs.
6' tall
Not really sedentary, walk about 2-4 miles daily with the mutt.

Just want to feel better and have more energy... would especially love to rid myself of the sinus crap too.

Heres the thing. I have tried the hunter gatherer approach. Didn't change much for me. Tried doing lots of meat and quit breads/ other carbs like past for about 3 months. No change.

And yah I know it isn't some simple "Do this" explanation for everyone.... just willing to try something else. I really don't do fads... but if this helps, I am willing to try.
Honestly, the daily scope of diet you listed here is a lot better than most people I know. It really doesn't seem bad at all. I mean we can always do things better, I get that.

The one things that stands out to me from this post, is your exercise level. You state not sedentary, and you walk. Have you given any thought to upping your cardio or possibly workouts? I'm not talking gym rat stuff... just higher level cardio or maybe some circuit training. Diet has a lot to do with energy level, but so does exercise. I played sports all my life, but I don't really "train (lift)" anymore. I try to get in some high intensity/low impact circuit training when I can, but I religiously play racquetball at least once a week for about 2-3 hrs at a time. I wish I could play more often, but too busy. I always say, "Racquetball has the best calories burned to fun ratio."
charlieboyd65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2019, 10:58 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 31211
I did keto for about 6 months over the winter and had good results. Lost weight, aches and pains got better, more energy, never hangry, never overfull/lethargic, etc. My only real issue is that I am self-employed and always running around during the day. I found it difficult to get keto friendly food running around town. My diet started consisting a lot of sous vide egg bites, beef jerky, and eggs/bacon from local restaurant I do business with.

Overall, I felt good, but I didn't feel like I was eating very healthy. It's the same way that vegetarians can actually eat all kinds of shit food, that's not really healthy...it just doesn't contain meat.

I know proper planning would have helped with this, but I'm moving more towards more plants/vegetables and a healthy balance (not eliminating meat). We'll see how it goes. If you can be very organized and efficient, I think keto has it's place.

I think the biggest thing for me is cutting out sugar (I only drink water, tea, coffee), and refined carbs (bread, pasta, etc).
charlieboyd65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 12:07 AM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboyd65 View Post
My only real issue is that I am self-employed and always running around during the day. I found it difficult to get keto friendly food running around town.

sissy i dont eat any food until about 5-8pm when i get home

Last edited by rockyota83; 06-05-2019 at 12:07 AM.
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 04:05 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 852732
Quote:
I'm a registered dietitian by trade. PM me if you have any questions. Be glad to help you at least separate the BS from actual evidence.
Do you find any credibility in the book The Medical Medium by Anthony William and the documentary What The Health?
Thatg9659 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 04:08 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 852732
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusM View Post
Haha! Fucking toast and oatmeal for a diabetic? No wonder people take continually higher and higher doses of insulin and get their limbs cut off listening to that shit advice.
You think the association wants the beetus to go away?
Thatg9659 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 06:53 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 859490
Quote:
Wow, Thank you! That's actually quite a bit to digest (pun intended).

I am not totally convinced to go meat free... I would still eat some in moderation, but the intake I have seen is very, very little in regions where people tend to have longer life spans. And for sure the type of meat (lean) makes a difference. I was considering starting at 1 day a week for a dish with some meat, be it chicken, fish or steak. And the rest of the week, keep it primarily plant based, whole grain and zero dairy or unnatural sugars. IE; if it is a plant, eat it. If it comes from a plant, then don't. I also plan to start having my own chickens laying eggs pretty soon... so eggs aren't completely out, but again will be limited to maybe a day or two a week.

I am not looking for any specific fad diet, or the latest and greatest weight loss program. I really just want to feel better. Sound copasetic?

This is very similar to what my family and I have been doing for the past 4 years (after a lifetime of the "Standard American Diet"), with astounding results. I do all the cooking in the household and I no longer buy red meat or poultry in the grocery store. We cut out all added sugar and processed food. I do make a fish dish once a week. When we eat out we will get chicken or beef if we want it, but it's almost always Chipotle or Panera. No burgers and fries. We also greatly increased our fruit and veggie intake. We all drink a Kale and fruit smoothie everyday. I cook with lot's spinach. Also a lot of beans, quinoa and other plant based protein sources. We do also eat eggs. I just keep hard-boiled eggs on hand and I eat probably 3-4 a week. My wife eats one a day(she's a hard-core crossfitter).
Here's the best part and how we know it's better for us...we don't get sick anymore. We used to get the same colds and flus as everyone else and now we don't. My son is special needs and used to get sick a lot. Every, and I mean EVERY cold would turn into bronchitis or pneumonia. Now he doesn't get the colds or if he does they are much less severe and much shorter. He hasn't had bronchitis or pneumonia once in the 4 years. This kid (he's 25 now but will always live with us) had more cases of bronchitis in his first 20 years than I could even begin to count.(SOOOO many antibiotics) Which reminds me, we also all drink a serving of Kombucha everyday for probiotics.
Anyway, I'd say your plan is right on track, at least from our experience.
boltnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Your response tells me you're ignorant on the disease itself and its management so let me break it down for you. Before I became a certified diabetes educator (CDE) I too was ignorant.

What is diabetes mellitus (DM)? The word diabetes itself means, to filter. Mellitus means, honey. To filter honey? Da fuq?

In ancient Greece a person would start pissing a lot (polyuria) and the dogs would start drinking their urine because it was sweet and honeylike. Few weeks later the person was dead.

DM is defined as having a Hemoglobin A1C of 6.4% or greater. What is Hemoglobin A1C? It's glycosylated hemoglobin. Basically the glucose sticks to the hemoglobin (the molecule that carries oxygen to your cells and CO2 back to your lungs) and never lets go. Just like my Mexican wife. It was discovered by an Indian researcher who noticed a strange spike on his spectrograph when he was looking at blood samples. This spike was only on pts who had DM. Since the red blood cell lives 3 months it is a way to determine blood sugar control over the past 3 months.

There are 2 types of DM, type 1 and type 2:

Type 1 was formerly known as juvenile onset or insulin dependent diabetes but it is now known as an autoimmune disease that destroys the beta cells in the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas and can happen at any age. I had a buddy that came back from Iraq and got sick and ended up with it. Type 1 DM requires insulin to be given in order to manage it as the endocrine portion of the pancreas is basically dead and makes no more insulin.

Type 2, formerly known as adult onset diabetes is now found increasingly in obese children. Type 2 DM is starts with insulin resistance in the body. What is insulin resistance? You have to think of insulin as like a key. Keys only fit the lock they were designed for. Our cells have insulin receptors on the surface (the lock) that only insulin (the key) can plug into. When the insulin plugs into them (inserting the key into the lock and turning) the cells allow glucose to enter the cell and hormones indicating satiety are released.

Insulin resistance occurs due to many factors, obesity and poor diet being the chief ones. Underlying inflammation is present as well. When the body is inflamed, the diet is poor, and the person is a fat bastard then the insulin receptors get tweaked. It's like the lock gets jammed with dirt. The insulin can no longer tell the cells to open the door for the glucose. The glucose in our blood then rises which is the blood sugar everyone talks about. At the same time the cells are sending out hormonal signals indicating they are starving so the pancreas responds by producing more insulin.

So inflammation plus bad diet plus fatassness >>> Insulin resistance >>> Pancreas produces more insulin.

At this point your pancreas has been doing this for years. A third of us on this forum are developing DM as we speak and don't know it. So what happens when the pancreas keeps doing this for year? Pancreatic exhaustion. The cells cannot keep making insulin at a rate higher than they were designed to for that long. Basically the pancreas ran out of duty cycles.

End result is the insulin resistant cells combined with the pancreas not being able to produce extra insulin any longer. Your blood is full of glucose yet your cells aren't getting any so you're in a form of starvation. Your body compensates for this and goes into ketosis and starts burning fat and protein (your muscles) as a fuel instead of glucose. This leads to a massive spike in blood sugar since it's really not being used and fat boy ends up in the hospital feeling like shit, they check his blood sugar and see that it's like 700 and his A1C is 12%. Dude's had DM for years and his body was able to compensate until it was too much. Ironically he probably lost weight in the process because his body was consuming the fat and muscles to live.

Pancreatic exhaustion >>> Pancreas reduces insulin output >>> Blood sugar rises uncontrollably

Now that we know what DM is and what causes it, why are people getting limbs cut off? Is it the evil oatmeal? That's a gross oversimplification. Diabetes is a progressive disease. Your pancreas is going to keep making less and less of its own insulin and no matter how well you manage your DM you will eventually need to start taking insulin on your own if you live long enough. Limbs being cut off is a symptom of poor medical care as much as anything else. It typically starts with a foot injury and leads to an infection. DM makes the immune system weaker and thus makes it harder to fight off infections.

How is DM managed? If you catch it in the Pre-DM phase, that's when your A1C is between 5.7 and 6.3%, you can reverse it with diet and exercise though that almost never happens. Once it hits 6.4% you are considered to have DM and it requires a multi phased approach.

1. Diet. You want to eat a well balanced diet that includes carbohydrates. Oatmeal and whole wheat bread have fiber and are a good source of carbs. You have to remember that fat boy spent the last 40 years eating wonder bread and cookies to get in this mess. Oatmeal and whole wheat bread is a step in the right direction.

2. Exercise. Minimum 2.5 hours of moderate intensity exercise, such as walking, spread out over 5 days combined with strength training 2 days week per week. Walking at 4 mph is great. When you hit 10 miles in a week the health benefits start to appear.

3. Medication. Oral meds first followed by insulin later. If your kidneys are healthy the first line med is Metformin. It's an old school med that kicks ass. It sensitizes your body to insulin, aka it counteracts insulin resistance. Biggest side effect is diarrhea and it's only good if your kidneys are good. If Metformin can't get your A1C below 7% they add a second oral med, usually Glipizide. Glipizide works by making the already exhausted pancreas make more insulin. Major side effect is hypoglycemia which is low blood sugar and can be life threatening. If that doesn't work they will add a 3rd oral or a non-insulin injectable. If that is not enough then insulin will be added. Because DM is progressive insulin will usually have to be given later in life. Sucks but it is what it is.

Can anything cure DM? No. Gastric Bypass can reverse it, sometimes for years, but the damage to the pancreas is permanent.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
When I train to get to a really low body fat%, the most help comes from not having any carbs at dinner. Meat and two sides of veggies. Do some carbs in the morning for energy. Of course, reduce sugars down to almost zero.
I did keto for a while and lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks the first time. It's a tough diet to maintain and I treated it like a maintenance type of deal. I ended up just making some simple changes that have stuck with me and helped no matter what, and I'll readily agree that cutting carbs at dinner has helped me maintain my weight, even with a prodigious beer intake. (I'm working on cutting that out altogether now in favor of another option)

Anyway, by the time you are eating dinner, you're likely already done with your workout or walk or whatever for the evening if you exercise at all, and many people eat too close to bedtime. It's a horrible time to pack down the bread and pasta since you're about to go to sleep and slow your metabolism overnight.

That meal rarely gets any type of bread product and it's usually only when guests are over. It's now chicken or pork and veggies almost every time. I have to get red meat intake up every now and then and grill a 1 lb. or larger steak. Usually if I do that I'm staying up really late on a weekend though. Going to bed on a full stomach is just asking for gut issues.

I have my preferences but I've long been of the type to recognize that there are many different diets that can work and it's dependent on the individual. Find what works for you and most importantly, learn to change your lifestyle, and as Mattafact and many others here agree on... do it slowly so it'll stick. That's always the hardest part; making a permanent change. People always ask "well what happens when I go back to my regular diet?" Well fatass, you CAN'T go back to your regular diet. Ever. That's why you're a fucking fatass. It's a lifestyle change, not a one time use magic bullet.

Sometimes that includes more than just your diet, too.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 85771
I bet yall put nitrogen in yer tires
Old 06-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #92 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Are you a chemistry denier?

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
78% every time.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltnut View Post
This is very similar to what my family and I have been doing for the past 4 years (after a lifetime of the "Standard American Diet"), with astounding results. I do all the cooking in the household and I no longer buy red meat or poultry in the grocery store. We cut out all added sugar and processed food. I do make a fish dish once a week. When we eat out we will get chicken or beef if we want it, but it's almost always Chipotle or Panera. No burgers and fries. We also greatly increased our fruit and veggie intake. We all drink a Kale and fruit smoothie everyday. I cook with lot's spinach. Also a lot of beans, quinoa and other plant based protein sources. We do also eat eggs. I just keep hard-boiled eggs on hand and I eat probably 3-4 a week. My wife eats one a day(she's a hard-core crossfitter).
Here's the best part and how we know it's better for us...we don't get sick anymore. We used to get the same colds and flus as everyone else and now we don't. My son is special needs and used to get sick a lot. Every, and I mean EVERY cold would turn into bronchitis or pneumonia. Now he doesn't get the colds or if he does they are much less severe and much shorter. He hasn't had bronchitis or pneumonia once in the 4 years. This kid (he's 25 now but will always live with us) had more cases of bronchitis in his first 20 years than I could even begin to count.(SOOOO many antibiotics) Which reminds me, we also all drink a serving of Kombucha everyday for probiotics.
Anyway, I'd say your plan is right on track, at least from our experience.
Thats interesting on the not getting sick part, or at least not as severe.

I do enjoy my coffee quite a bit, but have really worked hard to knock it back to 2 or 3 cups in the am, and now just a bit of honey and almond milk. It used to be all day, every day with milk/ cream and sugar

I take a green drink most days, called macrogreens. It's one of the few I can stomach. On the off days I also do the smoothie thing, all types of combos.

What I have noticed is that it's dam near impossible to avoid "added" sugars and sodium (high levels). It's in everything... I actually like the natural taste of food for the most part. Pretty much all things processed are out, and we'll probably be all the better for it.

All I can vouch for is this. It's really easy to get confused with the over abundance of dietary info out there, and all the different opinions that go along with the certain fads, trends and downright wrong info in many cases.

I am starting to notice a pretty consistent model though. As Nutritionist go, they seem to have a far better grasp on diet than most of the medical community. Most Dr.'s, nurses and medical staff are literally given little to NO training in regards to diet as it relates health (specifically, conditional states of health). Kind of astounding when you think about it. They are geared and programmed to push pills (which by the way I am not down talking meds! They are important and serve a unique purpose in many cases). And in most cases the Dr. comes in and spends all of 15 minutes, at most, with the patient. It's equally rough on the medical community as well I'm sure. Like epidemic proportions of systemic failure, many of which could probably be fixed with dietary changes.

Kind of a twisted cycle we have put ourselves in. And as opposed to promoting better health through diet, we just get a script. I don't want to outsource my health.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 146689
Quote:
Your response tells me you're ignorant on the disease itself and its management so let me break it down for you. Before I became a certified diabetes educator (CDE) I too was ignorant.

What is diabetes mellitus (DM)? The word diabetes itself means, to filter. Mellitus means, honey. To filter honey? Da fuq?

In ancient Greece a person would start pissing a lot (polyuria) and the dogs would start drinking their urine because it was sweet and honeylike. Few weeks later the person was dead.

DM is defined as having a Hemoglobin A1C of 6.4% or greater. What is Hemoglobin A1C? It's glycosylated hemoglobin. Basically the glucose sticks to the hemoglobin (the molecule that carries oxygen to your cells and CO2 back to your lungs) and never lets go. Just like my Mexican wife. It was discovered by an Indian researcher who noticed a strange spike on his spectrograph when he was looking at blood samples. This spike was only on pts who had DM. Since the red blood cell lives 3 months it is a way to determine blood sugar control over the past 3 months.

There are 2 types of DM, type 1 and type 2:

Type 1 was formerly known as juvenile onset or insulin dependent diabetes but it is now known as an autoimmune disease that destroys the beta cells in the Islets of Langerhans in the pancreas and can happen at any age. I had a buddy that came back from Iraq and got sick and ended up with it. Type 1 DM requires insulin to be given in order to manage it as the endocrine portion of the pancreas is basically dead and makes no more insulin.

Type 2, formerly known as adult onset diabetes is now found increasingly in obese children. Type 2 DM is starts with insulin resistance in the body. What is insulin resistance? You have to think of insulin as like a key. Keys only fit the lock they were designed for. Our cells have insulin receptors on the surface (the lock) that only insulin (the key) can plug into. When the insulin plugs into them (inserting the key into the lock and turning) the cells allow glucose to enter the cell and hormones indicating satiety are released.

Insulin resistance occurs due to many factors, obesity and poor diet being the chief ones. Underlying inflammation is present as well. When the body is inflamed, the diet is poor, and the person is a fat bastard then the insulin receptors get tweaked. It's like the lock gets jammed with dirt. The insulin can no longer tell the cells to open the door for the glucose. The glucose in our blood then rises which is the blood sugar everyone talks about. At the same time the cells are sending out hormonal signals indicating they are starving so the pancreas responds by producing more insulin.

So inflammation plus bad diet plus fatassness >>> Insulin resistance >>> Pancreas produces more insulin.

At this point your pancreas has been doing this for years. A third of us on this forum are developing DM as we speak and don't know it. So what happens when the pancreas keeps doing this for year? Pancreatic exhaustion. The cells cannot keep making insulin at a rate higher than they were designed to for that long. Basically the pancreas ran out of duty cycles.

End result is the insulin resistant cells combined with the pancreas not being able to produce extra insulin any longer. Your blood is full of glucose yet your cells aren't getting any so you're in a form of starvation. Your body compensates for this and goes into ketosis and starts burning fat and protein (your muscles) as a fuel instead of glucose. This leads to a massive spike in blood sugar since it's really not being used and fat boy ends up in the hospital feeling like shit, they check his blood sugar and see that it's like 700 and his A1C is 12%. Dude's had DM for years and his body was able to compensate until it was too much. Ironically he probably lost weight in the process because his body was consuming the fat and muscles to live.

Pancreatic exhaustion >>> Pancreas reduces insulin output >>> Blood sugar rises uncontrollably

Now that we know what DM is and what causes it, why are people getting limbs cut off? Is it the evil oatmeal? That's a gross oversimplification. Diabetes is a progressive disease. Your pancreas is going to keep making less and less of its own insulin and no matter how well you manage your DM you will eventually need to start taking insulin on your own if you live long enough. Limbs being cut off is a symptom of poor medical care as much as anything else. It typically starts with a foot injury and leads to an infection. DM makes the immune system weaker and thus makes it harder to fight off infections.

How is DM managed? If you catch it in the Pre-DM phase, that's when your A1C is between 5.7 and 6.3%, you can reverse it with diet and exercise though that almost never happens. Once it hits 6.4% you are considered to have DM and it requires a multi phased approach.

1. Diet. You want to eat a well balanced diet that includes carbohydrates. Oatmeal and whole wheat bread have fiber and are a good source of carbs. You have to remember that fat boy spent the last 40 years eating wonder bread and cookies to get in this mess. Oatmeal and whole wheat bread is a step in the right direction.

2. Exercise. Minimum 2.5 hours of moderate intensity exercise, such as walking, spread out over 5 days combined with strength training 2 days week per week. Walking at 4 mph is great. When you hit 10 miles in a week the health benefits start to appear.

3. Medication. Oral meds first followed by insulin later. If your kidneys are healthy the first line med is Metformin. It's an old school med that kicks ass. It sensitizes your body to insulin, aka it counteracts insulin resistance. Biggest side effect is diarrhea and it's only good if your kidneys are good. If Metformin can't get your A1C below 7% they add a second oral med, usually Glipizide. Glipizide works by making the already exhausted pancreas make more insulin. Major side effect is hypoglycemia which is low blood sugar and can be life threatening. If that doesn't work they will add a 3rd oral or a non-insulin injectable. If that is not enough then insulin will be added. Because DM is progressive insulin will usually have to be given later in life. Sucks but it is what it is.

Can anything cure DM? No. Gastric Bypass can reverse it, sometimes for years, but the damage to the pancreas is permanent.
Interesting position, what in my statement would make you think I didn't know that? Well to be fair, I didn't know the honey filter part.

I stand by my statement, giving a diabetic ANY form of carbohydrate is a terrible idea and counterproductive to forcing the diabeetus into remission. But if you want to keep taking more and more insulin and have more and more health side effects, enjoy! Because isn't that what happens? You have to take increasingly higher and higher doses of insulin as the oral and short acting and medium acting medications stop working for you while you're enjoying your toast and oatmeal?

Why don't you do some research into the alternative health sphere? The world is catching up to the fringes and weirdos, Virta Health? Shouldn't we get with the Aussies and Queen fans and recommend a low carb diet for diabeetos with a goal of remission?
Old 06-05-2019, 01:23 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Interesting position, what in my statement would make you think I didn't know that? Well to be fair, I didn't know the honey filter part.

I stand by my statement, giving a diabetic ANY form of carbohydrate is a terrible idea and counterproductive to forcing the diabeetus into remission. But if you want to keep taking more and more insulin and have more and more health side effects, enjoy! Because isn't that what happens? You have to take increasingly higher and higher doses of insulin as the oral and short acting and medium acting medications stop working for you while you're enjoying your toast and oatmeal?

Why don't you do some research into the alternative health sphere? The world is catching up to the fringes and weirdos, Virta Health? Shouldn't we get with the Aussies and Queen fans and recommend a low carb diet for diabeetos with a goal of remission?
1. You have to have carbs. Our brain runs on glucose. If we don't have carbs we go into gluconeogenesis in which the liver turns proteins and fat from our bodies into carbs for the brain. A side effect of being in gluconeogenesis is that the pH in our blood changes over time and the acid-base balance gets out of whack. Yes, our body has compensatory mechanisms but they only last so long before organ dysfunction sets in. What you want to avoid are the shitty processed carbs like white bread, sodas, juice, etc and too much of them. Whole grains have a host of benefits beyond just the carb content. They have vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats, not to mention fiber.

2. Nothing is going to put DM into remission. Sorry but once you have it, you have it. Gastric Bypass is the closest to achieving remission and even then it's not permanent.

3. Alternative health needs to start gathering real evidence before they are taken seriously. Double blind, placebo controlled studies are the gold standard. When you hear the term, clinically proven, that means nothing. Instead they rely on testimonial based medicine which is worthless. Alternative medicine is, however, excellent at relieving people of their money. People with diseases are desperate for a "cure" and will pay heavily for the hope that is sold. It's a huge moneymaker and everyone here should invent something and retire to the Grand Caymans before the gov regulators catch up with them.

There is no simple solution to any of this. Making blanket statements of, "this good, that bad" shows a lack of understanding of the mechanisms of the disease state. If you think that big pharma and medical community are conspiring remember that the most common DM drugs have been generics for years or decades and thus not making as much money as we assume.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:46 PM   #97 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
so what kind of processed food is the stuff we should avoid?

I thought I knew and then started looking around and realized it's hard to touch something that isn't processed. What is the root problem with processed food? Somewhere I saw that Bacon is considered a processed food, which I get as you have to cut up a pig, season, and package (ie goes through a process) but so do sliced carrots.

So I'm guessing a classic would be white bread, does that include sourdough and Potato bread?

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 146689
Quote:
1. You have to have carbs. Our brain runs on glucose. If we don't have carbs we go into gluconeogenesis in which the liver turns proteins and fat from our bodies into carbs for the brain. A side effect of being in gluconeogenesis is that the pH in our blood changes over time and the acid-base balance gets out of whack. Yes, our body has compensatory mechanisms but they only last so long before organ dysfunction sets in. What you want to avoid are the shitty processed carbs like white bread, sodas, juice, etc and too much of them. Whole grains have a host of benefits beyond just the carb content. They have vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats, not to mention fiber.
Nope, no carbs needed. Brain runs just fine off of ketones and the minimum amount of csrhs your liver gives up on LCHF.
2. Nothing is going to put DM into remission. Sorry but once you have it, you have it. Gastric Bypass is the closest to achieving remission and even then it's not permanent.
BULLSHIT! You can out it into remission, quite easily with diet and fasting.
3. Alternative health needs to start gathering real evidence before they are taken seriously. Double blind, placebo controlled studies are the gold standard. When you hear the term, clinically proven, that means nothing. Instead they rely on testimonial based medicine which is worthless. Alternative medicine is, however, excellent at relieving people of their money. People with diseases are desperate for a "cure" and will pay heavily for the hope that is sold. It's a huge moneymaker and everyone here should invent something and retire to the Grand Caymans before the gov regulators catch up with them.
Agreed, though there's more than you're aware of.
There is no simple solution to any of this. Making blanket statements of, "this good, that bad" shows a lack of understanding of the mechanisms of the disease state. If you think that big pharma and medical community are conspiring remember that the most common DM drugs have been generics for years or decades and thus not making as much money as we assume.
I think they could give a shit about getting people off the drugs and also that people are fucking lazy cunts who did this to themselves in the first place and won't put in the time and work necessary to fix it cause it's easier to take a pill. Certainly doesn't help that the main organization for fighting against this is pushing shit advice.

Go eat an impossible burger you goddamned Republican!
Also, you talk like a fag and your shit's all messed up!

Last edited by RusM; 06-05-2019 at 01:55 PM.
RusM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
so what kind of processed food is the stuff we should avoid?

I thought I knew and then started looking around and realized it's hard to touch something that isn't processed. What is the root problem with processed food? Somewhere I saw that Bacon is considered a processed food, which I get as you have to cut up a pig, season, and package (ie goes through a process) but so do sliced carrots.

So I'm guessing a classic would be white bread, does that include sourdough and Potato bread?
Most "processed" foods tend to be higher in sugar, fat, and sodium. Sodium is the cheapest preservative and it makes everything taste "better" so it's widely used. Even frozen vegetables have sodium in them.

Bacon is processed in that it uses Sodium Nitrate to give it the pink color and its distinct flavor. In moderation it's just fine. Nearly all things in moderation are just fine. It's when the consumption becomes chronic that our health suffers.

Potato bread is not a great bread to have as your daily carbs as it contains no fiber but once in a while is fine. Sourdough is in the gray area. Whole wheat is a better choice. Again, moderation is key.

It's hard to avoid processed foods in our modern life. A huge oversimplification is to choose more foods from the periphery of the grocery store than the middle. That means choosing whole foods like fruits and vegetables, lean dairy, lean cuts of meat, etc rather than crackers, pastries, shitty cereals like cinnamon toast crunch or those like them.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #100 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
I usually skip the bread, it's will mold before I eat a whole loaf but every now and then I do get on a bread kick, should just learn to use the bread machine I have.

Rest is what I had guessed.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in