$100 boat trailer- comes with boat... - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #151 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
So finally decided that I need to start tinkering with this again. Been stupid busy the past few weeks.

So I revisited the burned up bilge pump. Got it out and opened up. No idea wtf went on but I am glad I caught it before it went to flames... Pretty sure it was not far off.

Maybe in the am I will get the new one in, and then can reconnect battery.
Attached Images

Fear is not an option!

Last edited by DozerDan; 07-27-2019 at 11:29 PM.
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #152 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Spent some time on her last night.

Got the new plugs in, and the new starter solenoid. Now she turns over via the key, which is nice.

Got to pull the carb off as it is nasty in there, and going to flush the fuel out.

Got her to hickup a few times on ether, so that is a start.

My back went out on Friday, so everything is very slow going- what should have taken like an hour took like 3.

But progress is progress.

I also installed a hitch on the new to me Grand Cherokee, so have a nice whip to tow this POS around with when it finally works.

Fear is not an option!
Old 08-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #153 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
15 gallons of nasty fuel out of the tank. Had the supply line to the fuel pump off, so I just pressurized the tank with the shop vac. Worked awesome. Then I dumped in a few gallons and sloshed it all around, and then removed that as well.

Should be good enough by the time I fill it with fresh fuel.
Attached Images

Fear is not an option!
Old 08-04-2019, 06:05 PM   #154 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Well then... I am pretty sure the carb is beyond rebuilding. It is ugly. and the main butteryfly shaft is seized up good into the housing.

Also I am not getting spark, well I do every now and then. Reading online and looks like the distributor is prone to this. I popped it open and it was nasty. so gonna need a new one of them. Might as well grab a coil while I am at it.

Anyone heard of fly fish carbs? Looks like they sell a reman for my engine for $238.

Also any input on a dist set up to go with.

I don't mind spending some $ but don't want to go broke either.

Fear is not an option!
Old 08-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 178200
MSD box, distributor and coil (or similar) FTW... Fuck all the stock overpriced "boat" stuff.
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
MSD box, distributor and coil (or similar) FTW... Fuck all the stock overpriced "boat" stuff.
Good way to blow yourself up or best case get some big fines when the coastguard pulls you over. But do as you wish.
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 192237
iirc you can't run any sort of vacuum advance on a boat, as valve float becomes your rev limiter
though I suppose the MSD box fixes that issue long as you get one with a limiter

on the carb, you should dump a 5.3 in it
or just any old quadrajet
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #158 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Ordered the carb, decided I no longer wanted to fuck with this one - that I can prob make work- but boat.

Just got shell shocked on the price of a distributor. Think we will do a bit more diagnosis and or get parts for this one... Holy hell they are proud of them.

I am being told by a buddy, to just grab an HEI dist off any old S10 w a 4.3. They seem cheap enough, but an not certain it will work with the 'thunderbolt' ign this thing has.

Reading boat forums is like sitting in a mist of brake cleaner while slowly adding cuts to yourself. Holy hell are ppl clueless. I am not rocket surgeon but come on that is painful.

Fear is not an option!
Old 08-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassnTruck View Post
Good way to blow yourself up or best case get some big fines when the coastguard pulls you over. But do as you wish.
Are you dumb or something? You should Google stuff you have no clue about before spouting off miss-information. Here, let me help you with that......

https://www.google.com/search?source....8.IfxbdNozZm4
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 04:48 AM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
Ordered the carb, decided I no longer wanted to fuck with this one - that I can prob make work- but boat.

Just got shell shocked on the price of a distributor. Think we will do a bit more diagnosis and or get parts for this one... Holy hell they are proud of them.

I am being told by a buddy, to just grab an HEI dist off any old S10 w a 4.3. They seem cheap enough, but an not certain it will work with the 'thunderbolt' ign this thing has.

Reading boat forums is like sitting in a mist of brake cleaner while slowly adding cuts to yourself. Holy hell are ppl clueless. I am not rocket surgeon but come on that is painful.
I think we are jaded from coming here.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:00 AM   #161 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
Agree on the boat forums, I find myself wondering who ties their shoes for them everyday?

Switch the ignition over to MSD and a regular HEI distributor, it will be fine.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:

The big difference is the ignition advance curve, automotive curves may make you knock a little more than you want. The reason marine engines usually don't have vacuum advances is that they won't do much. A marine engine usually has about the same load at each speed so centrifugal/speed advance is all that's needed.
Can you post a pic under the rotor of the dizzy? Might be able to figure out what the automotive version is so you could transfer parts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2019, 10:13 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Are you dumb or something? You should Google stuff you have no clue about before spouting off miss-information. Here, let me help you with that......

https://www.google.com/search?source....8.IfxbdNozZm4
Anything is possible. I was not aware they made marine specific parts. You were not very clear. You hear Joe Dirt saying just put a starter in it off an s-10 because is it 1/3 the price and you know how that can go.
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #164 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The big difference is the ignition advance curve, automotive curves may make you knock a little more than you want. The reason marine engines usually don't have vacuum advances is that they won't do much. A marine engine usually has about the same load at each speed so centrifugal/speed advance is all that's needed.
Can you post a pic under the rotor of the dizzy? Might be able to figure out what the automotive version is so you could transfer parts?
Here are some pictures of the dist. Looks like I can buy parts, but they are also not cheap.

I followed an online check list of following the power... Sadly it was not 100% for my set up and I kinda ran into a wall. I have power to the coil, I have power to the dist. Other than that I am not sure what is going on. I am assuming the pick up sensor is shot. It looks shot.

New one is like $90 from what I have seen so far, still looking.

Here is what I got.
Attached Images

Fear is not an option!
Old 08-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #165 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
And some more
Attached Images

Fear is not an option!
Old 08-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #166 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Looks like a new set up is between $314-$370. Rough pricing on buying parts I 'know' I need would put me right at just under $200. New 'boat' coil is like $100.

Kinda want to pull the trigger on new. I know any coil will work, so spending $100 on one is prob not gonna happen.

But also knowing that the 'car' version of a dist is like $65 makes it hard to just buy the mercruiser one.

At this point I am starting to enter the 'point of no return' investment wise.

Don't mind spending some money, but don't want to blow it on things I don't need. Really wish I had more faith in the internet on topics like these.

Fear is not an option!
Old 08-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #167 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
So just found this one. From what I was told by a buddy, this is what he was describing. One plug goes back to itself, and two wires in.

Anyone know if this would work.

And then if it would which wires get tied into it, as my coil has 'through' wires. on ones side the come from 'somewhere' and then go into the thunderbolt set up.

If this will work I will buy it.

-edit- so my linking sucks

A-Team Performance Marine Electronic Distributor HEI 65K Volts 4.3L Compatible with Chevy V6 Mercruiser OMC Volvo Pleasurecraft ChrisCraft Crusader Yanmar - via amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/Team-Performa...e%2C132&sr=1-3

Fear is not an option!

Last edited by DozerDan; 08-06-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 871156
Quote:
So just found this one. From what I was told by a buddy, this is what he was describing. One plug goes back to itself, and two wires in.

Anyone know if this would work.

And then if it would which wires get tied into it, as my coil has 'through' wires. on ones side the come from 'somewhere' and then go into the thunderbolt set up.

If this will work I will buy it.

-edit- so my linking sucks

A-Team Performance Marine Electronic Distributor HEI 65K Volts 4.3L Compatible with Chevy V6 Mercruiser OMC Volvo Pleasurecraft ChrisCraft Crusader Yanmar - via amazon -
I am only interested in the results.
RonRang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 07:02 PM   #169 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Got my 'travel' money checks today. Decided I am going to be a baller and try that dist. It is Amazon, so if it does not work I will just return it and buy the merc one. At this point I got more $$ than I was expecting to, and well got to spend it somewhere right???

Only down side is it was not Prime, so like a peasant I have to wait almost a full week for it to get here... un real.

Half debating on ordering a reg 4.3L dist, just to slap it in and see what it does.... again amazon so return what ever I want.

Fear is not an option!
Old 08-07-2019, 07:16 PM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 192237
fawk man, just get you a $40 truck HEI distributor, then limit the centrifugal advance to whatever the one that's on there puts out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRang View Post
I am only interested in the results.
you seem like a spambot trying to get your ten posts in to be able to post links
Kind of funny little detail in this subforum I won't point out.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #171 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
fawk man, just get you a $40 truck HEI distributor, then limit the centrifugal advance to whatever the one that's on there puts out

Yeah I was trying to avoid the 'fuck with it' aspect. But I did just order the $50 normal 4.3L version (as well) If I can make that work then the other one goes back. But again being a boat I really don't want to enter the additional 'oh fuck' factor.

Fear is not an option!
Old 08-08-2019, 04:10 AM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 181491
On my old ski boat that I bought almost in the same shape as yours I installed a $50 HEI style from ebay.

I know it wasn't correct but it worked great and fixed all the issues I had trying to get the setup like yours working.

Just 1 wire to it and it fires, super simple.
crispins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #173 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispins View Post
On my old ski boat that I bought almost in the same shape as yours I installed a $50 HEI style from ebay.

I know it wasn't correct but it worked great and fixed all the issues I had trying to get the setup like yours working.

Just 1 wire to it and it fires, super simple.
Yup, that is what I figure, will find out on sat.

Carb is here, actually was here yesterday, but I did not know it.

I called today to check on a shipping status as I never got an email or anything. Guy was super nice and looked it up, said was delivered yesterday. Cool Came home to this on the front porch.
Attached Images

Fear is not an option!
Old 08-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #174 (permalink)

Member # 34865
I didnít read the whole thread. So is that a boat carb? Oh my God!!! It isnít? You are going to die!! Just ask the guys on the boat forums. They will tell you that. I put an L31 crate motor in my crestliner and they were all shitting down their legs saying itís a truck motor and wonít work in a boat. I said I will pull the steel freeze plugs and hammer in brass ones, then I will have a boat motor. They just couldnít explain the difference other than that. Why in the hell would you pay for a rebuilt piece of shit for twice the price? Because it says boat. Screw that! I got a brand new motor for less and it runs like top.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #175 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog57 View Post
I didnít read the whole thread. So is that a boat carb? Oh my God!!! It isnít? You are going to die!! Just ask the guys on the boat forums. They will tell you that. I put an L31 crate motor in my crestliner and they were all shitting down their legs saying itís a truck motor and wonít work in a boat. I said I will pull the steel freeze plugs and hammer in brass ones, then I will have a boat motor. They just couldnít explain the difference other than that. Why in the hell would you pay for a rebuilt piece of shit for twice the price? Because it says boat. Screw that! I got a brand new motor for less and it runs like top.
It is actually a boat carb... $241.

Trust me the idea of dropping an LS in this has crossed my mind..

Fear is not an option!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in