Eyeballing This - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 161331
There's 15K worth of extras on that thing. It's like your getting the Jeep for free.

Still might be overpaying for the jeep.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
That thing is gayer than 3 guys fucking 2 guys... Should fit your personality perfectly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
Only thing itís missing is the Hillary 2016 bumper sticker.
Oh don't worry I'm sure OP has a stockpile of those.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:13 AM   #28 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Move the rear end back 2", get the ride height down, trim/cut whatever the tires rub on, get the spare inside rear compartment and I bet it'll wheel like a little beast.
OR

Leave it as-is, find 7-10 midgets with clown suits & kazoos, and have 'em do Chinese fire drills in it for halftime entertainment at monster truck shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 06-08-2019 at 08:18 AM.
ExWrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Lots of jealousy in this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #30 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Looks pretty clean. If it passes a test drive I would have 10,500 in cash with me as it is still a bit of a niche demand vehicle and the dealer just wants it gone.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #31 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Lots of jealousy in this thread.
Considering none of them actually wheel themselves
Old 06-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #32 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
Curious, why? Suspension travel? Seems well set up for weekend warrior stuff
It basically has a LJ Rubicon express long arm under it. Not terrible, but the rear geometry is based off the factory axle mounts, which do not offer the most ideal geometry. Especially when using a panhard and trying to get a reasonable amount of travel.

The front suspension is a radius arm design. These kits are pretty notorious for giving a lot of ani-dive on climbs, while wheel hopping as the driver rear tire attempts to drive up under the rear door. Now, add to that, that a KJ has a much heavier spring weight, in a much taller package that will give a lot high center of gravity, and I'd imagine it likes to very quickly and very radically get unstable under ledge and off camber bolder climbs.

This would be a lot more capable with a very limited rear travel. Move the lowers up on the axle side, truss the housing and mount the uppers inboard further and on top the diff. Mount bump pads under the chassis rails (not outside them in the coil mounts), move the frame side upper upwards into the floor pan. Swap to a 3 link front suspension with custom axle side mounts with more vertical separation and a lower the ride height. Basically set the front end up to float/articulate while locking the rear axle to the chassis with 6-8" of travel per side, keeping the bumps only a few inches off the housing to allow it to pivot off them. This will keep the violence of the sprung weight to a minimum.

I've fixed a lot of unibody jeeps that came to me setup like this. They do not work in the mountains of Arkansas where everything is off camber, pointed up the side of a mountain. Maybe it would work in flatter regions.

Good way to test a jeep like this?

1) go to empty parking lot.

2) put the t-case in high range.

3) cut steering wheel all the way to the left

4) load the brakes at 1200RPM

5) let off the brakes as you smash the gas.

Results: Does it lift the driver front tire off the ground as the passenger front tire tries to drive under the engine and the rear driver tire tries to drive under the rear door? Does the radius arm bind cause the front tires to lose traction as the whole front axle hops and plants itself back level on the ground? Is your butt now eating seat because you thought you were gonna roll it in the parking lot on a test drive?

Last edited by Action Fab; 06-08-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post
Looks pretty clean. If it passes a test drive I would have 10,500 in cash with me as it is still a bit of a niche demand vehicle and the dealer just wants it gone.
just don't rawhide it in the test drive and kill the transmission or the seller will youtube tell on ya

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
It basically has a LJ Rubicon express long arm under it. Not terrible, but the rear geometry is based off the factory axle mounts, which do not offer the most ideal geometry. Especially when using a panhard and trying to get a reasonable amount of travel.

The front suspension is a radius arm design. These kits are pretty notorious for giving a lot of ani-dive on climbs, while wheel hopping as the driver rear tire attempts to drive up under the rear door. Now, add to that, that a KJ has a much heavier spring weight, in a much taller package that will give a lot high center of gravity, and I'd imagine it likes to very quickly and very radically get unstable under ledge and off camber bolder climbs.

This would be a lot more capable with a very limited rear travel. Move the lowers up on the axle side, truss the housing and mount the uppers inboard further and on top the diff. Mount bump pads under the chassis rails (not outside them in the coil mounts), move the frame side upper upwards into the floor pan. Swap to a 3 link front suspension with custom axle side mounts with more vertical separation and a lower the ride height. Basically set the front end up to float/articulate while locking the rear axle to the chassis with 6-8" of travel per side, keeping the bumps only a few inches off the housing to allow it to pivot off them. This will keep the violence of the sprung weight to a minimum.

I've fixed a lot of unibody jeeps that came to me setup like this. They do not work in the mountains of Arkansas where everything is off camber, pointed up the side of a mountain. Maybe it would work in flatter regions.

Good way to test a jeep like this?

1) go to empty parking lot.

2) put the t-case in high range.

3) cut steering wheel all the way to the left

4) load the brakes at 1200RPM

5) let off the brakes as you smash the gas.

Results: Does it lift the driver front tire off the ground as the passenger front tire tries to drive under the engine and the rear driver tire tries to drive under the rear door? Does the radius arm bind cause the front tires to lose traction as the whole front axle hops and plants itself back level on the ground? Is your butt now eating seat because you thought you were gonna roll it in the parking lot on a test drive?
Crap man, look at what itís under, itís not a a U4 car or a bouncer, just a modified mall crawler / trail cruiser.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #35 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Crap man, look at what it’s under, it’s not a a U4 car or a bouncer, just a modified mall crawler / trail cruiser.
I was answering dudes question of why.

I don't do high speed u4 stuff or bounce. I rec wheel unibody jeeps. That's where my knowledge lays. I'm tellin' ya, that jeep will be a floppy mess just doing normal trail riding in the rocks. So many people compensate with big ass tires, on one ton axles and v8 motors because their rigs don't work right and they have too little seat time on 35's and stock axles. I'd say 40% (probably way more) of the home builders (and a lot of shops) deal with sketchy ass setups that don't wheel worth a shit in the first place. So YMMV.

If cruising the mall or just doing 2 and 3 diamond trails is your thing. This would be perfect. If you want to do harder trails, expect to flop a lot and get denied way too often.

Redoing the suspension wouldn't be that costly or time consuming. And it has a ton of great parts. Totally worth the time and effort in my opinion.

Last edited by Action Fab; 06-08-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post

If cruising the mall or just doing 2 and 3 diamond trails is your thing. This would be perfect. If you want to do harder trails, expect to flop a lot and get denied way too often.
The owner can say I have "xyz parts" while posting up on insta how badass his rig is. It's not meant to wheel, it's meant to look cool while it climbs over ant hills.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #37 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Are you blind, looking at this on potato? Or have you never actually seen an axle before? That doesn't even look like a bolt together Quick change. That's a High Pinion Currie RockJock with a "jock strap". And currie makes RockJock's in D44, D60 and D70.

I guess I havnt seen a curry rock jock but I still say it looks similar to a quick change.

Here is the one in the OP and "quick change rear end" first few images on google.
Attached Images

2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 11:43 AM   #38 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
I guess I havnt seen a curry rock jock but I still say it looks similar to a quick change.

Here is the one in the OP and "quick change rear end" first few images on google.
I understood your thought process. It just made it clear you didn't know much about aftermarket axles. Not a big deal. People seem to think what they know is common knowledge.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 4243
The gf has a 2005 Liberty - 6spd. The autos like to blow head gaskets (or crack heads)... just a matter of time. These OHC heads cannot be decked.

The seating is ok for short people. (I get by for a few hours at 6'3" & 175#) Lumbar support is absent. Cargo space is limited, so much so that the Nitro and 08+ Liberty were designed with more. Really makes me crave at least a Durango.

For that level of build, an XJ is a better choice.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #40 (permalink)
Global Warmer

Member # 33328
I used to see that thing all the time here in COS over the years. I think the guy that built it worked at one of the Firestone places here in town. I could be wrong but I sure haven't seen any other bright orange, built, KJs.

68 Bronco
98 XJ
planefixer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #41 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 60351
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep...s-liberty.html
nhnissan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 01:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhnissan View Post
Thread ends with a 2019 post that it had been totaled. ?????

Maybe that's why it has a rebuilt title.

Always tip.

Last edited by plym49; 06-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhnissan View Post
Those hardcore trails though.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:

I've owned both so maybe it's just me. But the first picture looks nothing at all like the quick change pictures. Even in black i can see the flange bolts that bolt the axle tubes to the center section. LP vs HP etc. Only thing in common is dressed out they're both about $5K for a rear axle new.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCopperCowboy2 View Post
Has a rebuilt title, don't care, I'll more than likely trash it anyway.
Offer him a depreciated sum of the after market parts in a cash offer. 8-10k? I don't see any harm in making an offer that hurts someone's feelings in these situations
Old 06-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #46 (permalink)
IMA BUM

Member # 27141
The epitome of 'cute-yute'!

Old 06-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 95939
Good deal if you frequent the woods around truck stops.

As the slaughter of WW2 fades, the young gear up for something they will wish they had not wished for.

Quote:
I hope the little stickie out leg on the R gives you a rectal tear as you shove it up your ass.
DR. SMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:

no worries, dude has a stick up his ass with the branches pointing south

I saw what you were talking about. The angle of the pic and the way some of those pictures are squeezed made it look like some kind of narrow housing

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 377
I say buy it. When you blow it up or roll it three times, I'm ready to give you $1200 for the axles. Delivered to Evergreen, of course.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 102467
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Move the rear end back 2", get the ride height down, trim/cut whatever the tires rub on, get the spare inside rear compartment and I bet it'll wheel like a little beast.
X2

Cheaper than a SxS and twice as functional.

Buy it.

I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler
LigBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in