Anyone else having a hard time hiring? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Anyone else having a hard time hiring?

I work for a German based software company that deals with Estimation, Project Management to Fabrication in the commercial storefront and curtainwall glazing (Windows) industry. About 6-8 months ago I had an opening at my company for a support tech and trainer. I only seemed to get a few people that would apply. 1 or 2 that didn't have any construction or mechanical knowledge and then a handful of others entirely too qualified or random experience (masters degrees in engineering, draftsman, or architects) requiring way more than I'd be willing to pay for them. They'd want starting at $80K and have no experience in this industry or software, so I'd still be training them from scratch.

Anyway, I ended up hiring a woman that had estimating experience in flooring. Gave it a shot. She flaked out and couldn't learn shit, so she quit. Now I need to replace her and also hire another, but I'm back into the same pool of applicants, and not many applying at that.

I am willing to hire someone with zero industry experience, no degree required, but must display some mechanical, construction knowledge or ability to think critically. The least qualified person would probably start at around $40K with 100% covered health insurance, 3.5% matching IRA, and 2 weeks vacation and 1 week sick. After 5 years it goes to 3 weeks vacation, and 4 weeks after 10.

Is that a shitty deal for an entry level job? I'd think I'd at least get some 18 - 20 something year old's jumping at the offer. Posted on linked in, indeed, zip recruiter and a local college.
RaginCaucasian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 188393
You didnt post it on Facebook so nobody will ever see it. I'd be all over it if I were in colorado. Construction and windows are what I've done for the last 7 years.

We have the same problem where I work (new home construction). Cant find qualified people, the ones that are want more money. No skill people either realize it's hard work and quit, or just hope if they show up nobody will notice they really only work 3 hours out of 8.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCaucasian View Post
I work for a German based software company that deals with Estimation, Project Management to Fabrication in the commercial storefront and curtainwall glazing (Windows) industry. About 6-8 months ago I had an opening at my company for a support tech and trainer. I only seemed to get a few people that would apply. 1 or 2 that didn't have any construction or mechanical knowledge and then a handful of others entirely too qualified or random experience (masters degrees in engineering, draftsman, or architects) requiring way more than I'd be willing to pay for them. They'd want starting at $80K and have no experience in this industry or software, so I'd still be training them from scratch.

Anyway, I ended up hiring a woman that had estimating experience in flooring. Gave it a shot. She flaked out and couldn't learn shit, so she quit. Now I need to replace her and also hire another, but I'm back into the same pool of applicants, and not many applying at that.

I am willing to hire someone with zero industry experience, no degree required, but must display some mechanical, construction knowledge or ability to think critically. The least qualified person would probably start at around $40K with 100% covered health insurance, 3.5% matching IRA, and 2 weeks vacation and 1 week sick. After 5 years it goes to 3 weeks vacation, and 4 weeks after 10.

Is that a shitty deal for an entry level job? I'd think I'd at least get some 18 - 20 something year old's jumping at the offer. Posted on linked in, indeed, zip recruiter and a local college.
40k is like Mcdonalds money, and you want someone with skills anda brain
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
40k is like Mcdonalds money, and you want someone with skills anda brain
Mostly just a somewhat functional brain.

When did McDonalds start paying $20 an hour? Unfortunately, I don't get to decide what the pay would be. That comes from my GM. Sadly if I was to follow the rules of my German office, they would require 5 years of experience in a glass shop for any entry position, and that is their requirement everywhere else in the world. I had to convince them that if we stuck with that rule in the states, then we wouldn't ever hire anyone.

Last edited by RaginCaucasian; 06-12-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaymuddy View Post
You didnt post it on Facebook so nobody will ever see it. I'd be all over it if I were in colorado. Construction and windows are what I've done for the last 7 years.

We have the same problem where I work (new home construction). Cant find qualified people, the ones that are want more money. No skill people either realize it's hard work and quit, or just hope if they show up nobody will notice they really only work 3 hours out of 8.
Shit I think facebook is even dying. If you know commercial windows or can easily adapt, can operate a mouse on a computer and not afraid to talk to people, we can discuss relocation costs and obviously a better starting pay.

Last edited by RaginCaucasian; 06-12-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 70825
Quote:
All those people are in the oilfield making double what you're offering.

We are in the same boat. Hire 10 and maybe 1 is still there in 6 months. Most can't even make it past the 90 day probation without getting canned for absences.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 121866
Whatís the cost of living like in your area?

A lot of companies canít figure out why they cannot attract workers and I think it is either pay or environment. Someone at my current job said they overheard management saying they are basically competing with fast food wages in the area for labor positions here and they wonder why they canít find anyone.

See if you canít get the job posting on Glassdoor too. I feel like a lot of people from school used that as well, might get you a little more exposure.
904_runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 144281
With this economy anyone who isnt working either doesnt want to work, or cant work. Anybody worth a shit allready has a job.

My parents hired a carpenter to redo their bathroom a few weeks ago. One of his crew stole a bunch of cash from my father, and went home "sick". Deputy knew the kid, he had a list of drug crimes under his belt

I need to hire a part time worker, just dont want to deal with baby mamma drama, drunks, druggies, lazy fucks, or parolees...

Last edited by wesfab; 06-12-2019 at 04:14 PM.
wesfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 52443
So you require thinking at 40k USD.
That was ten years ago.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Yes. Someone was on here a couple months ago in New Mexico saying everyone was leaving town because the cost of living was high. When he offered something like $15-20/hr people could make that a few hours a way and live better. Company couldn't understand why they couldn't find/keep people. OP said it was the pay and cost of living. Not sure what ever happened but I assume they got the same type of workers they'd always hired and expected more after they left.

EDIT: Depending on where you are in Colorado, $40k might not be enough for an entry level job. People without the experience could make that at Costco with potential to move up. Your $40K might cap them at $48K and they're not going to like that so why switch? I think there is a small percentage of kids 18-20 thinking about a 401(k) match too. Maybe cut that and offer to pay them more.

Last edited by H8DWINGS; 06-12-2019 at 02:54 PM.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904_runner View Post

A lot of companies canít figure out why they cannot attract workers and I think it is either pay or environment. Someone at my current job said they overheard management saying they are basically competing with fast food wages in the area for labor positions here and they wonder why they canít find anyone.

See if you canít get the job posting on Glassdoor too. I feel like a lot of people from school used that as well, might get you a little more exposure.
Well figuring a 900 square foot house 1.5 bath on .23 acres in a less than desirable part of a own I just sold last year for $340K... so no, itís not the most attractive pay.

The woman I last hired we started at $55K just because of her age and that sheís actually held a real job. Not just starting into the work force.

Last edited by RaginCaucasian; 06-12-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Never could find any good employees that didn't deserve a cut of the business or weren't competent enough to be running their own show. Which is how it should be. The guys willing to sell their time @ $20 an hour are going to deliver unsatisfactory results or they are going to wake up and realize they're selling themselves short. So you end up with shit work or good work for a short time before you're left high and dry at square one.

We destroyed the American dream, the honest working employee, the self-motivated thinker and the integrity of the local company in one fail swoop. ...the name was conglomeration.

Last edited by Action Fab; 06-12-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 39564
Where in Colorado? 40k is entry level here in Colorado Springs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rig Rater Score 721
NakedJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 13655
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904_runner View Post

Front range CO has got stupid expensive. Denver even worse. $40K will mean 3 x roomies just to avoid going broke quickly.

OP, can relate, Wife has continual ads running for Therapists and clinic assistants, and as fast as her business is growing she is two therapists behind. I know a clinic in town that has been trying to hire since October last year, and they get few responses, and even fewer qualified folks applying.

It has driven wages up significantly in the last decade or so, definitely in the last 5 years. Fresh our of school Therapists are almost at a point they can dictate their own terms.
2003 Mini Cooper S - street go-kart
2004 Subaru WRX STi - Vette eater
2005 Mini Cooper S - street go-kart on LSD
Pile of tube, 383 SBC, and some buggy plans
XtremeJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 121866
Quote:
Well figuring a 900 square foot house 1.5 bath on .23 acres in a less than desirable part of a own I just sold last year for $340K... so no, itís not the most attractive pay.

The woman I last hired we started at $55K just because of her age and that sheís actually held a real job. Not just starting into the work force.

With that said I think you are going to need to up your pay a bit to match. Offer the new people out of college 55k and see if they bite on that. If you paid the past employee that just based off her age and the fact she held a job before, then you can offer that to younger people too. A LOT of people get caught up on just the dollar amount, and donít look at the whole picture such as 401k or other benefits, so maybe you can play around with that as well or at least highlight that. What are ďsimilarĒ jobs paying in that same area?
904_runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
So why can't you hire people that might be overqualified? Is it just that they want 120k or would they bite on 65k?

I mean if they have the skill set and are good at the job, wouldn't it be worth it?

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:
Shit I think facebook is even dying. If you know commercial windows or can easily adapt, can operate a mouse on a computer and not afraid to talk to people, we can discuss relocation costs and obviously a better starting pay.
add some zero's intriguing offer tho...

glazing is a tough industry in general, no its not the hardest job in the world and yes you see glass all over but no one cares and no one knows

and everyone assumes glass and labor is cheap, sorry bud that 1,200lb purple radius curved glass from germany is going to set you back 80k just for material
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedJeeper View Post
Where in Colorado? 40k is entry level here in Colorado Springs.
Office is in Golden basically. Denver West office park on I-70 just before you get into the mountains.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Mostly just a somewhat functional brain.

When did McDonalds start paying $20 an hour? Unfortunately, I don't get to decide what the pay would be. That comes from my GM. Sadly if I was to follow the rules of my German office, they would require 5 years of experience in a glass shop for any entry position, and that is their requirement everywhere else in the world. I had to convince them that if we stuck with that rule in the states, then we wouldn't ever hire anyone.
I see signs at the fast food joints $10-$12 starting, local call center entry level is $14. Those jobs you just have to be warm and show up, and that's MT which is bout the lowest wage state in the nation. Cost of living is probably 30% + higher around Denver. Fastfood pay in the oildfields was $20-$25.

I just listed a 3/1 rancher for $240k in a older neighborhood, and it's about as cheap as they get here. Everything is just more expensive now, except avocado's
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 23795
Send a message via AIM to freerider15
Nope, I'd say that's pretty good even for Colorado.

My first job out of school (Mech. Eng. Major, Biomed Eng. Minor from CSU), paid me $19 an hour (PCB contract manufacturer in Longmont).

I left that place after a couple months to go to a company I was with for a while, where I nearly doubled my hourly pay.

So yeah, $40k with good benefits...surprised more haven't jumped on it.

But then again, it seems that younger people still expect to make $60k for showing up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
freerider15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41764
Hiring and even retaining suddenly. I've hired almost dozen welders over the last 6 years here and this is the toughest and slimmest pickings by far.

Everybody is moving out of state because they can get slightly lower wages and half the cost of living. Welder/fitter who has been here 5 years just 2 week noticed yesterday to join a pipefitter union outside of Boise. I asked if there was anything we could to make him reconsider and he flat said even for $10/hr more he would still be leaving.

I've had a vacant more senior welder/fitter position open since February (guy moved to Reno). I've had 40 resumes and half dozen interviews for. Even offered a guy the position, fake SSN on background check. This is a $35-40/hr position, you think we're not going to see if you are who you say you are?

I'm fine with training a guy, but if you come here only knowing how to run a tig torch flat on a bench on carbon steel plate and not able to fit a pipe, I'm not paying you $30+/hr until you can produce something of value for us.

At this point I'm trying to get a student from the local CC welding program who is ok with starting at $20-25/hr, then getting bumped at 90 days if he's proficient in purge fusion welding A270 and can burn together 304ss box tube frames plumb/square with no carbide precipitation.

bggrnchvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 123919
40K?

40000/2080 = 19.23/hr

Avg FMR for El Paso County single bed/single bath is 929/MO, @ 30% of income that means they need atleast 3096/mo; 3096/160 = 19.35$/HR
High FMR: 1260/MO @ 30% => 4200 => 26.25$/HR
Low FMR: 830/MO @ 30% => 2766 => 17.28$/HR

If you look at fair market rent rates for a single bed single bath unit, then you're about right for the average for your county.

I wouldn't consider it bad, but it's definitely not good pay.

Source:
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/datas...019summary.odn

(Pulled table into excel and averaged the Single bed column for el paso county)

Last edited by Peow130; 06-12-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Peow130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
Nope, I'd say that's pretty good even for Colorado.

My first job out of school (Mech. Eng. Major, Biomed Eng. Minor from CSU), paid me $19 an hour (PCB contract manufacturer in Longmont).

I left that place after a couple months to go to a company I was with for a while, where I nearly doubled my hourly pay.

So yeah, $40k with good benefits...surprised more haven't jumped on it.

But then again, it seems that younger people still expect to make $60k for showing up
In highschool, one of my best friends was the son of a rational big-wig at Union Pacific in Texas. He had me placed with a yard in Grand Junction CO. building rail cars. Last minute, I chose not to accept the Job. I was 18, had no formal education, just hands on experience fabricating and a good word from high up. My base pay as an apprentice was going to be $75k a year. That was 2006.

All my mechanical and chemical engineering friends here in Arkansas have started @ $80k or more. One friend, started as an Electrical engineer at a local solar place 2 years ago @ $80k, was given a company car, a nice sized sign on bonus yo buy a house. He got full benefits for him and his wife, 401k that his company matched and he only had to work 9:30am to 4:30pm when not out of town. Had to work out of town one week every two months. That's Little Rock Arkansas, one of the cheapest places in the country to live.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
So why can't you hire people that might be overqualified? Is it just that they want 120k or would they bite on 65k?

I mean if they have the skill set and are good at the job, wouldn't it be worth it?
Honestly, I don’t think I could keep someone that would require that much or be that experienced to stay. It’s a customer support position. Mostly answering phone calls from clients and trying to help them when the software gives them issues or help them learn. Doing web based training for the 1st year and then occasionally traveling to onsite trainings. Hard part is that even with somewhat experienced people, I’d still expect about a year of training for them to be proficient enough to be mostly unsupervised and handeling most calls completely on their own.

Our particular office is very small with 8 employees. We currently only have about 150 companies in North America and are still in growing stages. Once we get to the 500 customer mark I might only be hiring 1 or 2 additional support/trainers. This position has growth into our sales dept. and advanced CNC training positions only. Basically I’m needing someone willing to grow with the company. As their experience grows and we keep adding customers they will get significant raises. When we hit the 500 customers they’d could probably be at 70K to 80k and we can see that happening in the next 5 years or so.

Last edited by RaginCaucasian; 06-12-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Quote:
Originally Posted by arickvan View Post
add some zero's intriguing offer tho...

glazing is a tough industry in general, no its not the hardest job in the world and yes you see glass all over but no one cares and no one knows

and everyone assumes glass and labor is cheap, sorry bud that 1,200lb purple radius curved glass from germany is going to set you back 80k just for material
No kidding. It kind of is a black hole in the construction industry. Windows are everywhere, but no one stops to think about them or that the aluminum door they just walked through is $3000 just by itself. The last kid we hired was trying to apprentice at a shop. I think he told me that if he were to become a journeyman that he would be starting at about $38k. Full glaziers in the field might be making $80 to $100K

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in