Modern Concerts - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 54666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
Slipknot is coming to Austin in the fall with 4 other bands I've never heard of. My buddy wants to see them, his wife has no interest so he wants me to go. I probably will. I know about 3 or 4 Slipknot songs and I'll probably be older than the parents of most of the audience. It should be amusing, I'll bring ear plugs
We (I) wanted to see Korn, but they weren't the headliners, Jewel's claimed to have never heard of Slipknot, and I like you only knew a few songs, plus the concert was on a Tuesday night, Nov. 4th, and was general admission, so we had originally decided not to go.

Then the local rock station ran a Halloween promo, must have been pretty abysmal ticket sales, on Oct. 31st, tickets were on sale for $10.31 a piece, taxes and fees included. We decided we'd be stupid not to go at that price.

So the Tuesday of the concert was mid term elections, 2014. Jewels and I had voted that morning, went to work, met a friend for supper after work, then went to the concert.

We were still in our business casual, work attire. Jewels probably had on a dress, and I was in a button up shirt and khakis. Standing in line for security we were the odd ones. Everyone else was dressed in black, various gruesome skull and pentagram tee shirts, all kinds of piercings, crazy hairdos, tattoos, chains, etc. Then there's Jewels and me, white bread suburbia, I even still had my "I voted" sticker on my jacket.

Security was going through everyone's purses, bags, wanding folks with a metal detector, there's so much hardware in and/or on folks, most were getting patted down too. Then Jewels and I got to security, the guard looks us up and down, kind of grunts, "huh?" under his breath, then lets us through, he didn't look in Jewel's bag, didn't wand either one of us with the metal detector, didn't even touch us, he just waved us on through.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5943
Location: Southeastern MN. (formerly near Chicago, I've ESCAPED!)
Ha! Probably gonna get tickets to go see Leonid & Friends in a couple of weeks. Chicago cover band from Russia, their original stuff is pretty good as well. Talented bunch of people.
ChiXJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #28 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
In the last year I have seen

Limp Bizkit
Alien Ant Farm
Everclear
Flogging Molly
Badflower
VooDoo Glow Skulls
Florence and the Machine
Stone Temple Pilots
Elvis Monroe
Toby Rand
In the End
AFI
Smashing Pumpkins
Third Eye blind
30seconds to Mars
Papa Roach
Suicidal Tendencies
Bad Religion
Greta van Fleet (terrible)
Offspring
Disturbed
Three Days Grace
Dead Kennedy’s
Live
Bush. (Live & Bush at the Roxy were amazing)
Some terrible opening acts I don’t recall.

Aside from fake Led Zeppelin and the country act I enjoyed the rest.

Tomorrow it’s Toby Rand and Garry Beers the bass player from INXS.

I laugh when people say country is turning pop. People were saying that when I was in high school 25 years ago. Like duh, no shit. Country sucks.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 06-16-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Beat95YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMIKE View Post
I'm pretty fortunate that the genre of music I like (white-boy reggae) is filled with bands that tour regularly and ticket prices are fairly reasonable. I'm usually good for 7 or 8 concerts a year and will travel for the right show. I am taking my son to his first 311 concert next month. I have been seeing them since 1996 and have probably been to 40+ shows. I can't wait to see his reaction.
Long time fan as well, but its been years since I saw them at Red Rocks. I'd like to do one of their cruises or 311 day/weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest View Post
I got probably 6-10 shows per year. I don't really go to stadium or arena shows more, mostly club shows. Most recent was Arron Lewis solo acoustic show. Very "interesting" crowd for sure. Good show as he's a solid performer.
Hasn't he gone country er something?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Zac brown was pretty good, zz top fucking killed it, so when I saw lynrd skynrd at same venue a couple years later I was really disappointed, like they only played because they had some bills to pay, Gary Allen was fucked up on something, I'm surprised nobody booed him, pretty sure his manager gave him some coke and sent him back for an encore to make things right. Garth Brooks came to phx and played 2 shows a night for like 3 days, we saw the second show of the night, and killed it.

More, I'll have to think about

Gf wants to see hootie and the blowfish and bare naked ladies next week. I'd rather watch paint dry, but she's good to me

Edit: riley green was a pretty good show, small venue, solo

Sawyer brown was a blast, the band has all original members iirc, at one point each of them did a solo cover of somebody else's song, a kind of fun I never expected at a concert, highly entertaining

Last edited by PROJECTJUNKIE; 06-13-2019 at 05:41 PM.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #31 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 125937
Prices are stupid to see big bands. I haven't been in a long time.

Around here, there is almost always some sort of cover band playing somewhere. usually, the music sounds better than the real bands since the singers are so old.

Just saw a Motley Crue cover band that was 1000x better than the real Motley Crue that I watched on TV for their last show. Vince cannot keep up anymore.

I'm just there for the music and beers since I am not a groupie and screwing any of the band members. Don't care if theyre original anymore. I used to.

150+ for shitty seats aint doing it for me these days even though I can afford it.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:10 PM   #32 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Best one recently, I got some free tickets to Trans-Siberian Orchestra. The music is cool, maybe a bit repetitive by the end of it, but the show is phenomenal. I'd go again just for the visuals.

Foo Fighters never disappoints, I had the furthest-away possible tickets and still felt like Dave was playing for us in the shitty seats.

Latest Dream Theater tour was quite good as well, anyone familiar with them they're playing Scenes From a Memory in its entirety plus some of the more popular newer stuff. Enjoyed that one but it seemed like it took til halfway through the set before the sound got sorted out.

Lately my favorite place to go is a little jazz/rock club in NYC called the Iridium...:musicnerd: every show I've been to there has been fantastic. Paul Gilbert, Virgil Donati, Mike Stern, Dennis Chambers, Steve Lukather, Simon Phillips, Andy Timmons, just a few that I've seen there recently. I'd rather have great sound and outstanding musicianship than a huge arena.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 08:10 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 193950
About the only show I have seen recently was Piano Guys (a piano and a cello doing remixes of various songs, or mixing 2 songs together).
They put on a fun show, last time they came to town we ended up near the stage on one side, I was talking to the security guard and he was amazed about how polite the people there were.
Saw Gary Allen a few years back (I guess it was about 10 years now, time flies...), IMO the opening acts (Sara Evans and Luke Bryan) put on a much better show and had a completely different music style.

Aaron Z
Old 06-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 687322
Saw Cody Jinks this spring. Absolutely outstanding show. His music is great to boot.
The Steel Woods opened for him. More southern rock than country, very solid.
DNL2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 40131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
In the last year I have seen

Limp Bizkit
Alien Ant Farm
Everclear
Flogging Molly
VooDoo Glow Skulls
Florence and the Machine
Elvis Monroe
Toby Rand
In the End
AFI
Smashing Pumpkins
Third Eye blind
30seconds to Mars
Papa Roach
Suicidal Tendencies
Bad Religion
Greta van Fleet (terrible)
Offspring
Disturbed
Three Days Grace
Dead Kennedyís
Live
Bush. (Live & Bush at the Roxy were amazing)
Some terrible opening acts I donít recall.

Aside from fake Led Zeppelin and the country act I enjoyed the rest.

Tomorrow itís Toby Rand and Garry the bass player from INXS.

I laugh when people say country is turning pop. People were saying that when I was in high school 25 years ago. Like duh, no shit. Country sucks.
Check out my TX country thread. Some good musicians in there Iíve posted about. You look like youíve had a damn good year of bands so far. Iím jelly

Tool and Disturbed are on my to do list.

Motorsport Syndicate:::Edinburg TX

Quote:
Bitches today are too fucking uptight.
72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
Circus Ring ******

Member # 867108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNL2 View Post
Saw Cody Jinks this spring. Absolutely outstanding show. His music is great to boot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNL2 View Post
Did they sing different songs or just the same ones?
Old 06-13-2019, 08:57 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 111254
I've only seen metal concerts in small venues lately.
I can't stand to listen to much else.
They have been great shows with incredibly talented musicians.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 PM   #38 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72blazer View Post
Check out my TX country thread. Some good musicians in there Iíve posted about. You look like youíve had a damn good year of bands so far. Iím jelly

Tool and Disturbed are on my to do list.
Tool is definitely on the list.

I have tickets for:
Korn
Alice In Chains
Static-X (tribute tour)
Devil Driver
Papa Roach
Incubus

Before the end of the year. My female friend loves going to concerts, so Iím in.

& Blaine

Old 06-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 40450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
Long time fan as well, but its been years since I saw them at Red Rocks. I'd like to do one of their cruises or 311 day/weekend.
My Wife and I did the cruise in 2015 and 2017. We had such an amazing time on both trips. I saw 311 at Red Rocks a few years ago with Cypress Hill. I'd go back to that venue any time! Its beautiful there.
MDMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JolietJames View Post
I've only seen metal concerts in small venues lately.
I can't stand to listen to much else.
They have been great shows with incredibly talented musicians.
My favorite venue these days is the Roxy. It might hold 400? Wheelchair seats are at the stage.
Attached Images

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 06-13-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Country music has been watered down pop music for a long time now.
pop? I didn't get that vibe. But I don't keep up with things, hah
Old 06-13-2019, 11:39 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Slipknot coming in July... took my daughter to see them when she was in 6th grade, So gonna go back now that sheís 22!!

Got tix for Maiden in September!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 09:47 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 9384
I hope to see Tool one more time before I die, after that all the good band have gotten to old or dont play anymore.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
DMS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #44 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
My sister got us tickets to see Judas Priest and Uriah Heep on Saturday night. We saw them with Saxon last fall, I think it was a farewell tour for the guitar player with Parkinson’s. He only played a few songs, but it was a good show. Not what it was in the 70’s... but neither am I.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 10:11 PM   #45 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj50 View Post
Slipknot coming in July... took my daughter to see them when she was in 6th grade, So gonna go back now that sheís 22!!

Got tix for Maiden in September!!!!!!!!

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bronco460 View Post
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 377
My birthday is on 7/12. Going to see Shooter Jennings on the 11th and Cody Jinks at Red Rocks on the 13th.
east_beast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS1 View Post
I hope to see Tool one more time before I die, after that all the good band have gotten to old or dont play anymore.
need to wrap this album and hit the road! they're actually touring in Europe right now
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 7287
Jake E Lee at a small place a few months ago. Coheed and Cambria/Mastodon at a bigger place (Stage AE) last week, was up there with my favorite shows ever. Really good stuff.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #50 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 64925
Send a message via MSN to grnd93
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMIKE View Post
I'm pretty fortunate that the genre of music I like (white-boy reggae) is filled with bands that tour regularly and ticket prices are fairly reasonable. I'm usually good for 7 or 8 concerts a year and will travel for the right show. I am taking my son to his first 311 concert next month. I have been seeing them since 1996 and have probably been to 40+ shows. I can't wait to see his reaction.

Being a little bit of a metal-head as well, I caught As I Lay Dying a couple months ago, and they put on an amazing show.

In fact, I have tickets for Slightly Stoopid tonight in Baltimore

Sounds like we like the same thing. Iíve seen some good shows already this year and will be seeing 311/Dirty Heads in about a month.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in