Seems the new Colorados like to do yoga - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #151 (permalink)

Member # 94825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
You have seen what plumbers do right?
Cant be any worse than cutting off your own leg and spamming people with fox news links all day, can it?
Old 06-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 94825
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbj60 View Post
You have that backward
Yep, it's the flanges that keep the frame rigid.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM   #153 (permalink)

Member # 101209
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Snowtoy View Post
For the NHTSA to be involved, I am guessing they have had a few fold up like that from rear-end collisions as well as from what you and others have experienced.

Did the shop give you an idea of when the new frame was supposed to be delivered?
body shop called and told her 2 weeks...she didnt belive them and will let me know wed if the frame actually ships lol...her experience was anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks to get a frame...

estimate for new frame (which is only $2300 on gm website) new rear springs, and the truck bed floor is $12,641.

kinda thought it would be more, as i read a full size chevy 1500 was around 18k for frame replacement

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.[/COLOR]
Edward Murrow
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Quote:
Originally Posted by isbj60 View Post
You have that backward
Yes, what was I thinking?....
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #155 (permalink)
Oh Jesus Tits....

Member # 17554
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ View Post
Cant be any worse than cutting off your own leg and spamming people with fox news links all day, can it?

Daaaammmmnnnn
Old 06-25-2019, 10:16 AM   #156 (permalink)
Unregistered User

Member # 224886
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ View Post
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #157 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 487154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
I’m by no means an engineer (tho I set next to two all day at work ) but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Now, with that being said, I’m surprised GM didn’t preform a Solidworks or what ever CAD program they use, stress test on the frame. I realize real world activities create unseen scenarios but surely a auto manufacturer that’s been around as long as GM would know better. I know what they did in it tho. They made the frame as lightweight as possible for fuel economy ratings. It is hard to say if the frame would’ve bent without the holes there being as thin as it is, but no doubt they contributed to the failure.
Glad you're not an engineer I lol'd at "Solidworks stress test" for a frame. Also, Solidworks is for HS and Community Colleges and not even owned by the same company that NX (what GM uses for design) is owned by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
They did and it passed all their loading and fatigue tests, change an re-run until it passes all tests. Then they built some and put them on tests stands and bent the shit out of them until failure, change an re-run until it passes all tests. Then they built some full vehicles and did it again, change an re-run until it passes all tests. This determined that for all applicable and specified uses, the vehicle should survive. So they built some more and did real life situation tests.
The % of untested situations that could cause failure goes into some unconventional thinking.
If X is cheaper than the cost of a recall, they don't do a recall. You act like engineers are the ones making decisions at anywhere.
Fixed a few things.
But us designers and engineers only have so much say at any place.

Some things slip through the cracks and make into production and the vehicle line(s) has a fault. Sometimes it's not so much an oops as it is glaringly obvious oversight to avoid cost in some way and hope to get away with it. This was a case of "oops/well maybe we should have..." that a very small number of person(s) happened to do something that caused a failure. It seems to have turned into "we should look into this".
Agreed that GM is quick to recall. Interested in where this goes.
________/__/__\____\_,__
|- /¯¯\_''______/¯¯\-[]===[]
_`(o)_)<>)_)__`(o)_)o==)_)

Quote:
Mathematics itself operates as Whiteness.
5TonDreamin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #158 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 73540
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT75FLH View Post
body shop called and told her 2 weeks...she didnt belive them and will let me know wed if the frame actually ships lol...her experience was anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks to get a frame...

estimate for new frame (which is only $2300 on gm website) new rear springs, and the truck bed floor is $12,641.

kinda thought it would be more, as i read a full size chevy 1500 was around 18k for frame replacement
I just did a frame swap on a 2019 silverado 1500. Took week and a half to get it. Frame was 3500 list and 36 hours labor.
rektec250r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 101209
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5TonDreamin View Post
Glad you're not an engineer I lol'd at "Solidworks stress test" for a frame. Also, Solidworks is for HS and Community Colleges and not even owned by the same company that NX (what GM uses for design) is owned by.

Fixed a few things.
But us designers and engineers only have so much say at any place.

Some things slip through the cracks and make into production and the vehicle line(s) has a fault. Sometimes it's not so much an oops as it is glaringly obvious oversight to avoid cost in some way and hope to get away with it. This was a case of "oops/well maybe we should have..." that a very small number of person(s) happened to do something that caused a failure. It seems to have turned into "we should look into this".
Agreed that GM is quick to recall. Interested in where this goes.

I agree, and I also understand that an engineer cannot possibly design a vehicle or frame for all contingencies.

I was more surprised that the frame bent there, think of it as driving down the road towing a trailer and you hit a pothole that you didn't see.. I got out to make sure I didn't bend a rim or break a strap on something that was in the bed of the truck or in the trailer and saw the frame and I was shocked..

I was actually more pissed about GM's response about the hundred pound over for trailer brakes and then 1 inch taller tires than anything else.

Edward Murrow
Old 06-25-2019, 11:31 AM   #160 (permalink)

Member # 86724
I would argue that GM has been letting shit "slip through the cracks" since the early 2000s,

and their agressive platform sharing and cost cutting during that time period is what led to their bankruptcy.

They build shitty cars.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 101209
Quote:
Originally Posted by rektec250r View Post
I just did a frame swap on a 2019 silverado 1500. Took week and a half to get it. Frame was 3500 list and 36 hours labor.
thanks,

i told them i wanted new rear springs, as these have been in a taco shape for 7 weeks now, and unsure how they would hold up

it also bent the bed floor when it folded down.

Edward Murrow
Old 06-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT75FLH View Post
I agree, and I also understand that an engineer cannot possibly design a vehicle or frame for all contingencies.

I was more surprised that the frame bent there, think of it as driving down the road towing a trailer and you hit a pothole that you didn't see.. I got out to make sure I didn't bend a rim or break a strap on something that was in the bed of the truck or in the trailer and saw the frame and I was shocked..

I was actually more pissed about GM's response about the hundred pound over for trailer brakes and then 1 inch taller tires than anything else.
I think in your situation it was more of the front of the truck that bent the frame.
trailer held the back end down, then front of the truck came over a breakover, got light, bent frame.

but that's just conjecture.
but it does seem like you probably had way more weight in front of that frame section than you had behind it.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 101209
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
I think in your situation it was more of the front of the truck that bent the frame.
trailer held the back end down, then front of the truck came over a breakover, got light, bent frame.

but that's just conjecture.
but it does seem like you probably had way more weight in front of that frame section than you had behind it.
could be...the truck is kinda porky with the diesel...like 5000 dry iirc. and gvw is 6200

the bed had maybe 250 to 300 lbs in it if you include the truck cap,

so im guessing around 5600 lbs for me and the truck

Edward Murrow
Old 06-25-2019, 11:48 AM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 101209
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
"overall width, without mirrors" on the ZR2 is 74"
same dimension on a 99 tahoe is 76"
huge fucking difference

use the money you saved on initial purchase to dump a milsurp 6.5 in it and still have about 35k left over

use the money you saved on emissions-era diesel engine repairs on tires and just weld the diffs
thats a 99...

the 2018 tahoe is 80in wide

the zr2 is 6 in more narrow, and the track with is almost 3in more narrow...
it makes a differnce in the places i go...

ive wheeled full sizes for a few years..and went with this platform to be a little bit easier on fuel, to be easier to park in town for DR apts and starbuck parking lots and the ability to have front and rear lockers and the ability to use the rear Locker in 2 wheel drive on a factory vehicle...

mute point now cause im back in a full size for my desert truck

edit....and its not a chevy

Edward Murrow

Last edited by DT75FLH; 06-25-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #165 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-RAT View Post
Daaaammmmnnnn
Not funny

Old 06-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #166 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Kind of off-topic, but as somebody who used to camp for a week at a time out of a TJ, what the hell are you towing that adds up to 2100 pounds? That seems crazy excessive. I get the rooftop tent if your wife is coming but what the hell else are you bringing?

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Kind of off-topic, but as somebody who used to camp for a week at a time out of a TJ, what the hell are you towing that adds up to 2100 pounds? That seems crazy excessive. I get the rooftop tent if your wife is coming but what the hell else are you bringing?
Calling his wife overweight?

Pics?
Old 06-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
I've gone as long as 16 days out of a backpack.
east_beast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #169 (permalink)
Oh Jesus Tits....

Member # 17554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gslander View Post
Not funny

Well played.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #170 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Calling his wife overweight?

Pics?
No, but I admit when camping with my ex-wife I tended to bring more creature comfort’s. Not 2100 pounds worth but still.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 12:47 PM   #171 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
I've gone as long as 16 days out of a backpack.
Well, not everyone wants to stink like a hippy and eat hard tack the entire time.

Plus you need somewhere to put the keg of beer. And the refrigeration system.

Last edited by DirtyComanche; 06-25-2019 at 12:57 PM.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 12:55 PM   #172 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Trailer is 900lbs empty, so it's only 1200lbs. Camp stove, camp cookwear, bedding, sand ladders, tools, fire wood, water, fuel, propane, ice chest, etc., it adds up.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #173 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Well, not everyone wants to stink like a hippy and eat hard tack the entire time.

Plus you need somewhere to put the keg of beer. And the refrigeration system.
Some of us want to go places where you can't drive.
east_beast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #174 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 41185
So @DT75FLH ,

What is your plan to prevent this from happening again? (serious question, not busting balls)

RIP SCREWZER2
the freeak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
No, but I admit when camping with my ex-wife I tended to bring more creature comfort’s. Not 2100 pounds worth but still.
my brothers building a camping oriented m100 thing. Mostly for family boy scout camping.
two golf cart batteries,inverter,solar panel (for a cpap machine)
propane for cooking pus the stove and shit.
cast iron
tools
water
tent

all the shit.
We expect it to weigh about 1800 ready to go.

it will probably be heavier.
so I don't see 2100 as being overweight for what it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in