Pay off house or not? - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 20786
Send a message via AIM to WillC
Before I get lost in a hijacked thread on pirate that is now about house insurance,We paid it off today. I will not disclose yearly taxes or insurance to you fools because North Carolina is closed and we don't need you raising the cost of living here. However, I do have great insurance on the home and its contents and plan to keep it that way.
WillC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #77 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC View Post
Before I get lost in a hijacked thread on pirate that is now about house insurance,We paid it off today. I will not disclose yearly taxes or insurance to you fools because North Carolina is closed and we don't need you raising the cost of living here. However, I do have great insurance on the home and its contents and plan to keep it that way.
Congrats on the payoff! And congrats on not being swayed by the very rational and poignant reasoning to NOT carry homeowners insurance!
Old 06-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 20786
Send a message via AIM to WillC
Also, I do own an S corp from a former business venture. I will be looking into anything that is advantageous for our taxes.
WillC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 152210
Quote:
Congrats man!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:38 PM   #80 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
It is going to feel good next month when you don't write that mortgage check. But; put that money aside in your 401K! Don't squander it now on foolish toys; in the end when your retire, you can buy your toys anytime you want. Trust me I know; I am now living that dream!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #81 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
BTW:
Watch your 401K like a hawk... Friend of mine was wiped out by his fucking bitch wife. She was drawing down his account without him knowing about it..
Not a god dam thing he could do about it!

Yeah it fucking sucked. He is now dead. RIP
Old 06-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 154867
Quote:
Congrats! I would recommend setting aside money every month for the property taxes and insurance, just so the tax bill isn't so painful when it comes. That way, you have less of a burning desire to go killdozer anyone when you have to write the fat tax check for permission to live in the house you own free and clear.

Really, congrats. It makes a ton of difference in what you can save, and in how well nasty budget surprises can be dealt with.
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 05:36 AM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 7412
Congratulations on paying off your house, it is a great feeling.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:55 AM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Awesome! In the land of multiple refinances, my wife and I are doing our best to get our place paid off early. Seems like a long road
Old 06-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #85 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Awesome! In the land of multiple refinances, my wife and I are doing our best to get our place paid off early. Seems like a long road
yea, i get sad every month when i update all the financials and see how much principle we pay each month and ytd. good news is we refi'd to a 20 from a 30 (had 25 left) so that made me feel a little better. people like this give me hope the dream can be a reality
Old 06-25-2019, 10:39 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 2801
Congrats on paying it off. That was the only correct answer. All the other crap ideas people were giving you, were people with no idea on how to build wealth, but like to play games with their money by borrowing and trying to game the system. Take that mortgage payment now and start saving for the next home or invest it.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 90667
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
You realize you can insure your property for its replacement value, don't you? Just like a car? Of course you don't.
Contrair, but you would pay up to 3 times the premium with a higher deductible compared to a 20 year old house of equal value. Are you an insurance agent now bgaiden? Evidently you're not for you know absolutely nothing about insuring a 100 year old home but yet show off your own stupidity with childishness insults.

Why in hell would you pay up to 3k a year to insure up to just 120k worth of home with a 20k deductible? Because that's what you are setting yourself up for in trying to insure the value you want. When in essence, if you purchase a 100 year old home in your 20's and live to be in the 80's, congrats! You just paid off your house 2.5 times! Once by mortgage and 1.5 by insurance.

I've went through 4 insurance companies. My current insurance is just under 1400 a year that has a total payout value of 63k if devastation occurred with just a 1k deductible. It has so far been the best I can find so that I can have a mortgage. My tax value is 90k and stagnant. My neighbor with a small doublewide the same damn size and half the property has 145k tax value. Give it the full 30 years of my loan and I have just paid 42k for a 63k insurance policy. Where as I have well over 200k invested. I could call it quits while I was ahead but noooo... a selective few idiots on here would rather blow the rest away and have hardly nothing to show for it. Only because you would rather be tucked under an insurer's arms than to open your little brains and just think ahead of the game.

Besides that, I would have to use 63k to try to build a stupid home. That may get me half way if I do all the work myself with helpers? And then spread out another 10 years of my life. Then I'm stuck with a half ass house, in debt trying to finish, paying rent somewhere else and stuck with nothing to sell but a piece of land and half a livable house. Where as, I could doze the mother fucker down and replace with a doublewide and be miles ahead. Insurance policies only cover the house you are insuring. They won't replace with a mobile home, that is entirely not an option for I tried.

Old home insurance policies are stupid. The reason I went with what I did was because it came with a 1600 sf shop (the same driver of most on here's residential decision making). Is well within my range of price and driving to work. I can be on the lake fishing in less than 10 minutes and I can piss off my front porch without some HOA bitch complaining.

If anybody on here has a 100+ year old house with an insurance policy, I'd love to trade notes to compare. But I refuse to accept childish insults from short syndrome'rs who have absolutely no knowledge on the matter.
Gittinwidit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 90667
And back on topic, paying off the house is the better decision for your not only making money off the money you have gained, you are also making money off the taxes you were paying. Sure there's 7% guaranteed investment gains out there but it comes with either a large price or a lot of luck or skill. And the chances of a loss.

Take the money and reinvest or just save up for retirement / future investment. Or just enjoy!
Gittinwidit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 11:37 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 232653
V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Can you both elaborate on this and dumb it down as simple as possible. I'm wondering if this might be a decent option for me if I plan to never sell the house I am in.
There is a way that you can set up a self directed 401k, if you are over 50 that sets the 401k to own your house, but you have to pay to rent it back. The rent payback is exempt from taxes on the 401k side. It might not be a good deal on a home, but it works for a business because you have to pay rent that is considered a business expense. So the business expense goes into your 401k and then is non taxable revenue even at retirement.
Az Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 01:06 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 154867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittinwidit View Post
And back on topic, paying off the house is the better decision for your not only making money off the money you have gained, you are also making money off the taxes you were paying.
I don't understand. What do you mean about the taxes?
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #91 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9795
Send a message via AIM to mobil1syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Can you both elaborate on this and dumb it down as simple as possible. I'm wondering if this might be a decent option for me if I plan to never sell the house I am in.
IIRC self directed IRA is the technical term for what he is talking about.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:40 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
IIRC self directed IRA is the technical term for what he is talking about.
true. A 401k is an employer sponsored retirement plan.

Self directed IRA is what you're looking for.

It's a bit of a gray area when it comes to taxation as it's not an IRS recognized tax strategy. Then there are a few annual administrative fees and other fees you incur.

I'm a financial advisor. In the end, it didn't make sense for my clients. It's also been a few years since I looked into it.

Quest IRA is the company I looked at FYI. Do your homework, not as easy as it sounds.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #93 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
Quote:
Originally Posted by will12785 View Post
Your mortgage is costing you 4.5 percent and even a basic index fund can earn you 8 percent.
That. The market outpaces real estate by a bit as well.

But good on your for paying the house down, it has to feel good too. It's certainly better than letting that chunk of money sit in the bank (paying mortgage interest and losing cash value to inflation).

Last edited by Ebs; 06-25-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 63366
Paying off your mortgage for no future payments SOUNDS good..but most of the time it isn't.

I don't know your financial background

I don't know your line of work and how secure it is...or isnt.

I don't know your health...

W/o knowing all things things and more its a crap shoot but...

Scenario:

You pay off your mortgage and have $ every month.

WHAT happens if you lose your job do to your health? No income, no house payment but NO INCOME for day to day living expenses!!!

In 3 months you are selling furniture, cars etc to buy food, pay taxes, etc.

Invest the $20K by NOT paying off your house and you will survive the rough weather... You can't predict what's going to happen with your health.

I had 2 friends that this happened to and they were in excellent health before they went in the hospital they lost their house because they put all their money into her house they couldn't make their tax or insurance payments, they had no money for food it got pretty badd. Invest your money in the stock market or something else where you can get 6 or 8% or better and you are financially way ahead! I mean way ahead 20 years!!!!!
Old 06-25-2019, 10:53 PM   #95 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 21622
Send a message via AIM to Corey Young Send a message via Yahoo to Corey Young
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Paying off your mortgage for no future payments SOUNDS good..but most of the time it isn't.

Scenario:

WHAT happens if you lose your job do to your health? No income, no house payment but NO INCOME for day to day living expenses!!!

Invest the $20K by NOT paying off your house and you will survive the rough weather... You can't predict what's going to happen with your health.

I had 2 friends that this happened to and they were in excellent health before they went in the hospital they lost their house because they put all their money into her house they couldn't make their tax or insurance payments, they had no money for food it got pretty badd. Invest your money in the stock market or something else where you can get 6 or 8% or better and you are financially way ahead! I mean way ahead 20 years!!!!!
If they had a mortgage payment how would they pay it? Seems like since they owned a house outright they could sell it and move into a more affordable mobile home, apartment or condo? Also the dont put all your eggs in one basket deal they taught in grade school.
Corey Young is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2019, 11:05 PM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 152210
Quote:

Scenario:

Okay, lets accept your scenario... so, you get hurt and it looks like it may be awhile before you can work... you call one of the reverse mortgage guys and since you OWN your house, they love you and provide you YOUR house and MONEY every month while you heal up.. ANOTHER advantage of owning your house...

You could also have a line of credit available against the house, for a rainy day... there is every reason to pay off the house.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:

Scenario:

Just when I thought dumber advice couldn’t be given in this thread
Old 06-26-2019, 02:33 AM   #98 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbuggy84 View Post
Just when I thought dumber advice couldn’t be given in this thread
And here you are...

It's like being for or against dave ramsey. Both ways are fine and if you have the disaplin to stick with any strategy you will be miles ahead of the next guy.

Impulse decisions based on feelings at the time is the only strategy that seems to play out in my life.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2019, 04:53 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittinwidit View Post
I've went through 4 insurance companies. My current insurance is just under 1400 a year that has a total payout value of 63k if devastation occurred with just a 1k deductible.
Jeeze, insurance is really expensive where you live.

To the op, congrats and good choice
Old 06-26-2019, 05:22 AM   #100 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
How much interest was left on the mortgage when you paid it off?

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in