Electricians - a little help please - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2019, 07:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 188882
if its a liability thing, just have him run the conduit and leave an open panel so you can wire it yourself or have electricians do it once the house is done

but have it set up now for whatever you want to do in the future
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Atomic Test Lab Rat

Member # 25325
Quote:
Originally Posted by arickvan View Post
if its a liability thing, just have him run the conduit and leave an open panel so you can wire it yourself or have electricians do it once the house is done

but have it set up now for whatever you want to do in the future
why would there be any more liability with a properly sized and run 50amp setup vice a 30amp?
Old 06-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
why would there be any more liability with a properly sized and run 50amp setup vice a 30amp?
Well you just know that extra intermittent 20A is gonna throw off the balance of a 200A panel....

So thinketh the builder anyways. Or his cheap ass realized the cost difference between 10 gauge nm and 6 gauge nm.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
what am i a lawyer??

im just saying if he wont put it in for you, then have him set it up so someone else can put it in
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 13786
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man View Post
Most likely no conduit. Typical house gets Romex. Unless you're in Chicago.
OK so run 6ga romex. I did in my garage. Bought 35' from Platt with some huge x-tra wide staples to tack it down, what's the big deal? I'd find myself another electrician or builder
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #31 (permalink)
Abby...someone

Member # 48547
Seems this blew up a little

This is a regional builder and they have a standard set of "options" - I am going to bring it up with them at our pre-construction meeting, as it doesn't make sense to me either that they will do a 30 but not a 50.
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
edglock21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 11:06 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 13786
Well, good luck with that......seems like you're working with somebody that takes the short bus to work
Old 06-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Shouldn’t be anything “standard” about a custom home build.

Lucky for you it’s a pre-construction meeting. Take the time to think about what else he’s not going to do the way you want, it’s your $$$.

He works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edglock21 View Post
Seems this blew up a little <a href="https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif" border="0" alt="" title="eek" >:-)</a>

This is a regional builder and they have a standard set of "options" - I am going to bring it up with them at our pre-construction meeting, as it doesn't make sense to me either that they will do a 30 but not a 50.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #34 (permalink)
Abby...someone

Member # 48547
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictylers1 View Post
Shouldn’t be anything “standard” about a custom home build.
That's the point - it's not a "custom" home

It's a standard home in a community that is just not built yet and we get to choose what we want from their list of stuff.

That said - it is ridiculous that they will do a 30 but not a 50
The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.
edglock21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 59610
Quote:

It's a standard home in a community that is just not built yet and we get to choose what we want from their list of stuff.

we do it all the time, we build over 150 houses a year
customer willing to pay, we do anything...
again ....your builder is a tard.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 225201
“Hey, use the wire from that roll on this leg, not the other roll on this particular house, we’re charging him $200 extra.”

I just can’t wrap my head around why that can’t be done. You’re not asking for a jacuzzi tub in a half bath.

I’m getting too old for that kinda shit so ignore me if you need to. Tell him you’ll buy the wire and hand it to him on sparky day and buy the crew lunch.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 12:18 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 3370
I would guess a 50amp load on paper will push them over the service sizing they have already done for the houses.

I would also venture to guess you could show up when they start building and talk to the electrician and make it happen or at least talk to the framers to make it easy for you to throw in after.

Last edited by Pook; 06-27-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Pook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pook View Post
I would guess a 50amp load on paper will push them over the service sizing they have already done for the houses.

I would also venture to guess you could show up when they start building and talk to the electrician and make it happen or at least talk to the framers to make it easy for you to throw in after.
If it bumps up the service size the AHJ could make it go back to plan review, which could be a big delay and would put the builder in a bind extending his bank note. All for a welder plug. I would have the sparky rough in for a “future EV charger” (To save the environment) and leave the cable in a blanked box.
78bronco460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 52361
I'm not a sparky, but at the 1st post you need to have the come to Jesus with your builder, get his explanation, even if it's some "panel load calc" shit, fine, you need to pay for the heavier wire, and swap the breaker after the final.

Or fire him.

Or direct deal with electrician.

And get 50a welder plug in garage.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 55396
is it the builder or some sales agent monkey/ lemming giving you the run around. I can easily see a sales person saying 'we dont have a line item / check box for anything more than 30a- can't do it.'

If you can't ruffle a few feathers and get what you want, you'd be wise to walk away because it's not gonna get any easier once they break ground/ have materials on site.

the best path short of them doing what you want would be having them run oversized #6 wire with the 30 a breaker.

If that fails, I would sneak in and talk to the electrician or rough it in yourself one evening after the sparky leaves, but before drywall/ subfloor gets put down.

those volume builders often cut corners- it would be money well spent to hire a 3rd party inspector/ GC to walk the property every other night or so to check for hack-tacular work.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #41 (permalink)
pro web-wheeler

Member # 12217
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78bronco460 View Post
If it bumps up the service size the AHJ could make it go back to plan review,
That's what I was going to say. They've already done their load planning and it will be a hassle to redo for the city/county. How many amp panel did you sign up for and do they have options for larger service panels?

Building now, you really want to plan for an Electric Vehicle Charger outlet which is a 50 amp breaker with 6 gauge wire going to a NEMA 14-50 outlet that they can plug their charger into. It's pretty damned cheap to set up for now. Way more expensive down the road. You can also use it for a welder...but the idea is to plan ahead. Maybe you won't use it, but at least plan for it, especially for resale or as an upgraded rental.
RedBullJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 06:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWTMECH View Post
OK so run 6ga romex. I did in my garage. Bought 35' from Platt with some huge x-tra wide staples to tack it down, what's the big deal? I'd find myself another electrician or builder
Exactly my point. It needs to be done during rough in, and it's not a big deal.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:32 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 188473
If the builder is giving him crap like this now, just imagine the crap the HOA is going to give him. Believe me there will be an HOA, there always is in developments like this.
fart_plume is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2019, 08:53 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 13786
Quote:
Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
If the builder is giving him crap like this now, just imagine the crap the HOA is going to give him. Believe me there will be an HOA, there always is in developments like this.
Good point
Old 06-28-2019, 05:54 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 51775
Quote:

Sounds like their "standard" load center might not be any bigger than it absolutely has to be. If that is the case, you may not be able to add the 50 amp circuit later. What size load center (main breaker size), and what size conductors they intend to pull to the house would be relevant questions.

If they have not yet started building, I would tell them to take a hike. I hope you didn't give them your money before they started telling you what you can and can't have.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019, 06:11 AM   #46 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman View Post
Sounds like their "standard" load center might not be any bigger than it absolutely has to be. If that is the case, you may not be able to add the 50 amp circuit later. What size load center (main breaker size), and what size conductors they intend to pull to the house would be relevant questions.

If they have not yet started building, I would tell them to take a hike. I hope you didn't give them your money before they started telling you what you can and can't have.

It sounds like he is pre-purchasing a tract home in some sort of hoa comunity. They sucker you in before the place is even built by letting you pick between shitty finish package 1,2, or 3 and then tell you how much money your going to make in apriciation in the year you are waiting for your turd to be pollished.
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2019, 06:17 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 1418
Quote:
Seems this blew up a little

I have a Pulte home that was finished in April, we went through the same bullshit .......

I ended up just digging back up the trench for the pool wiring and gas line to put down the line set and power for my garage a/c ..... what a pain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in