Who Has the 411 On Buying Cheap Crown Vics? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2019, 06:46 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Will a crown Vic powered f100 be able to pull a gooseneck horse trailer without crushing the bedsides?
Old 07-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
A friend of mine is building a F1 hundred on a crown Vic chassis. You can check out his Instagram @wescapel. Itís sweet.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Illinois

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8647548247046/
Old 07-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po' riggity View Post
Damn you.. I'm seriously thinking about buying one now.. I like this one..

https://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=2378022
That's a lot of car for $500. Due eet.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Gremlin shell on to a BMW Z3 chassis.r.
you gonna stack unibodies or some shit?
Old 07-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #31 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
you gonna stack unibodies or some shit?
Basically.

I'll cut the body off the Z3, leaving the chassis rails, firewall, floor, strut towers, fuel tank and complete drivetrain. Plate the inner rocker sill.

Then on the Gremlin, I'll cut the shell off the floor and firewall ar the rockers. Then slip the shell over the Z3. From there tie the shell to the Z3 chassis. From there, brace and cage the car.

I won't know till I do it. But I'd like to rework the HVAC intake duct on the Z3. While also trying to keep the upper part of the cowl on the Gremlin. I hope I can slip the whole dash and wipe assembly with the lower cowl tray intact on top of the Z3 while keeping the factory AMC dash. Then I'll probably rework the gauge bezel to used the BMW gauges behind a peice of glass.

The HVAC controls can be located to inside the glove box I hope. Or I'll try to fit them into a console. Weed down the harness to delete windows and such. I might build a separate stand alone harness for the lights and blinkers. The BMW system is stupid. Plus it will be easier to work off the factory column. I will probably send off and have the stupid EWS deleted. Then I can merge the ignition harness.

Not sure what the track width will actually look like. That will dictate wheel choices but I'm thinking a staggered 17" repop of the old ralley wheels. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to flare the fenders. I'll probably put Corbeau seats in it. I'd like a cutting brake and swap over to a stop tech kit and 3rd caliper and maybe an SLR kit. Or maybe a set of E46 control arms and camber plates. I want this to be a trackable street car that I can drift but not go full race car with. I don't want it to be miserable as a daily. Actually, the opposite.

Last edited by Action Fab; 07-08-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 03:52 AM   #32 (permalink)
Soulless ginger

Member # 124369
Screw the Panther pickup. I want to see the Gremlin Z3. With a build thread of course.
landscraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 05:32 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 17311
Nationwide Government Auction site:

https://www.govdeals.com/
Old 07-09-2019, 05:42 AM   #34 (permalink)
Man Child

Member # 2175
Buy one and come play with us!

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...ion-whore.html
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Basically.

I'll cut the body off the Z3, leaving the chassis rails, firewall, floor, strut towers, fuel tank and complete drivetrain. Plate the inner rocker sill.

Then on the Gremlin, I'll cut the shell off the floor and firewall ar the rockers. Then slip the shell over the Z3. From there tie the shell to the Z3 chassis. From there, brace and cage the car.

I won't know till I do it. But I'd like to rework the HVAC intake duct on the Z3. While also trying to keep the upper part of the cowl on the Gremlin. I hope I can slip the whole dash and wipe assembly with the lower cowl tray intact on top of the Z3 while keeping the factory AMC dash. Then I'll probably rework the gauge bezel to used the BMW gauges behind a peice of glass.

The HVAC controls can be located to inside the glove box I hope. Or I'll try to fit them into a console. Weed down the harness to delete windows and such. I might build a separate stand alone harness for the lights and blinkers. The BMW system is stupid. Plus it will be easier to work off the factory column. I will probably send off and have the stupid EWS deleted. Then I can merge the ignition harness.

Not sure what the track width will actually look like. That will dictate wheel choices but I'm thinking a staggered 17" repop of the old ralley wheels. I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to flare the fenders. I'll probably put Corbeau seats in it. I'd like a cutting brake and swap over to a stop tech kit and 3rd caliper and maybe an SLR kit. Or maybe a set of E46 control arms and camber plates. I want this to be a trackable street car that I can drift but not go full race car with. I don't want it to be miserable as a daily. Actually, the opposite.

sure seems like it would be a shit ton easier to just make the gremlin handle and go fast.

all the parts already exist.
also, even cheap ass z3s are 7 grand, and they're piles of shit.

Last edited by 87manche; 07-09-2019 at 07:45 AM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 08:59 AM   #36 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
sure seems like it would be a shit ton easier to just make the gremlin handle and go fast.

all the parts already exist.
also, even cheap ass z3s are 7 grand, and they're piles of shit.
Uhhh? No, not for what I want to do with it. Gremlin is solid axle rear, would need a complete engine swap, and has a suspension design that would give a horrible roll center and shit camber/caster changes through it's cycle. I'd be redoing the suspensions and swapping in subframe or something dumb like that to make the car work. Plus it wouldn't be refined as a good daily driving street car like an OEM bmw chassis. The Z3 is basically an E36 up front and an E30 in the rear. It's for sure the next drift car I want to build myself. Putting a gremlin body on it just adds to the fun build aspect and makes in cool to me.

I'm not interested in doing just restoration type work. I also want the creature comforts and reliability this would offer. The Z3 is actually a pretty good Drift car platform with off the shelf coilover and angle kits available. All the parts under the shell would be easily available and anyone could work on it as if it was a normal E36. They have LSD's and a good power to weight ratio with the 2.8 and 3.0 already. I don't want to keep the Z3 interior. The rest of the car is something I disagree with you on being junk. Maybe a good cooling system upgrade wouldbe needed. But the bones in a E36/E30 are solid if you find a rust free car.

I can buy a 2.8 or 3.0 Z3 for around $1500-$3000. What I'd really like to do is find a M Roadster to build off of. But that will just come down to luck and patience.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 7412
give me 800 and take the one i bought for a chassis swap. i think its a 07, runs good air bags don't work.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Uhhh? No, not for what I want to do with it. Gremlin is solid axle rear, would need a complete engine swap, and has a suspension design that would give a horrible roll center and shit camber/caster changes through it's cycle. I'd be redoing the suspensions and swapping in subframe or something dumb like that to make the car work. Plus it wouldn't be refined as a good daily driving street car like an OEM bmw chassis. The Z3 is basically an E36 up front and an E30 in the rear. It's for sure the next drift car I want to build myself. Putting a gremlin body on it just adds to the fun build aspect and makes in cool to me.

I'm not interested in doing just restoration type work. I also want the creature comforts and reliability this would offer. The Z3 is actually a pretty good Drift car platform with off the shelf coilover and angle kits available. All the parts under the shell would be easily available and anyone could work on it as if it was a normal E36. They have LSD's and a good power to weight ratio with the 2.8 and 3.0 already. I don't want to keep the Z3 interior. The rest of the car is something I disagree with you on being junk. Maybe a good cooling system upgrade wouldbe needed. But the bones in a E36/E30 are solid if you find a rust free car.

I can buy a 2.8 or 3.0 Z3 for around $1500-$3000. What I'd really like to do is find a M Roadster to build off of. But that will just come down to luck and patience.

lol.
I'm the guy that owns old volvos and bmws, and I'm telling you that any cheap Z3 is likely a pile of shit.
I just stopped and looked at one listed for 10K here, it was a pile of shit that needed a new rear window/top and it had 150K miles on it. no maintenance records, 5 speed car.
and it will sell for 8.
that's a mighty expensive donor platform. 8 grand could build you a tube chassis to set your gremlin on that used IRS/IFS subframes. Then you shove an LS in it and whammo.
but hey, you bench build what you want.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:36 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 75475
Quote:
I'm telling you that any cheap Z3 is likely a pile of shit.
I work with a guy that bought two at a salvage auction. they were between 1k and 2k. both run great but have terrible bodies, perfect for his Gremlin swap.

and what the hell is with Gremlin prices these days? My dad sold one in the early 90s for $50 and it was a runner, lately all I have seen local are super clapped out ones for 2k and up.
BarfBag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #40 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
lol.
I'm the guy that owns old volvos and bmws, and I'm telling you that any cheap Z3 is likely a pile of shit.
I just stopped and looked at one listed for 10K here, it was a pile of shit that needed a new rear window/top and it had 150K miles on it. no maintenance records, 5 speed car.
and it will sell for 8.
that's a mighty expensive donor platform. 8 grand could build you a tube chassis to set your gremlin on that used IRS/IFS subframes. Then you shove an LS in it and whammo.
but hey, you bench build what you want.
Aren't you in Canada? You ever stop to think that perhaps the economics of a car are different in other locations? There is a 3.0 local to me with a 126k miles and a huge dent in the door for $2k. I can Jump on copart and buy wrecked Z cars all day for sub $2k. A nice, clean title z3 goes for around $5k here. An exceptional car goes for $8k and a M Roadster brings about $10k or $12k. Even a M Coupe can be had for around $20k in the Ark/La/Tex area.

I have been watching these cars for a long time and the values you are reporting are inaccurate in my region.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #41 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarfBag View Post
I work with a guy that bought two at a salvage auction. they were between 1k and 2k. both run great but have terrible bodies, perfect for his Gremlin swap.

and what the hell is with Gremlin prices these days? My dad sold one in the early 90s for $50 and it was a runner, lately all I have seen local are super clapped out ones for 2k and up.
People have decided that AMC's are cool now. A nice V8 car fetches $20k or more these days. I'm actually thinking I'll wind up spending more on the Gremlin than the BMW.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #42 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
@manche

There is a maintained S52 car with a clean title and straight body, sporting a flawless black interior for the price you describe a standard clapped out Z3 to cost.
Attached Images

Last edited by Action Fab; 07-09-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:07 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 86724
again, 9 grand for a donor car.

that's full on tube chassis money with whatever sub frames you want.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #44 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
again, 9 grand for a donor car.

that's full on tube chassis money with whatever sub frames you want.
You just don't get it, man. I don't want a full on tube chassis. I want a reliable street car that can be both a comfortable daily and will also throw down at a drift event while looking like a funky 70's classic.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 86724
and a tube chassis purpose built wouldn't be?

whatever. continue on with your delusions of building the utimate gremlin by stacking two unibody cars together and then thinking that somehow you're keeping all of the shit inside the BMW firewall that won't match up for shit with the interior of a fucking gremlin.

next thing you'll tell me is that a stacked frame trar is the ultimate wheeling machine with all the capabilities of a truck and all the comforts of a car.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #46 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
I'll show you :ShakesFist:

You should join a group called frame swap faction. There are a lot of people with way less skill than I have at fabrication pulling off similar swaps with other platforms. I really think it is such a cool progression in car building. I want to try it. I first remember seeing people do this with muscle cars like the Charger. Then I started watching a YouTube Channel called UrchFab. The ideas I got from that lead me to do more research and now I'm kind of hell bent on giving it a go.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:32 AM   #47 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
So should we take bets on what happens first? You build this Franken-car or hike the Appalachian trail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 86724
but the only reason those people are doing frame swaps is because they lack the skills to build a proper chassis.

you do not.
so why hack it together. you're already talking about deleting most of the ulxury shit like power locks and motors. I'm gonna bet that seats go away because they're massively heavy, and not that great unless you find a sport model.
so other than the subframes and drivetrain, what parts are you really keeping from the donor car that wouldn't be better served by something bought in the aftermarket to fit a gremlin with a custom chassis built to take whatever subframes you wanted?
Old 07-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #49 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
So should we take bets on what happens first? You build this Franken-car or hike the Appalachian trail?
Good 'ol Joe W here to make himself feel better with derogatory. That beer snob parody that was posted in reference to you was all too accurate. "It's like, how am I supposed to show them I'm smarter than them without commenting mean stuff".

Quote:
but the only reason those people are doing frame swaps is because they lack the skills to build a proper chassis.

you do not.
so why hack it together. you're already talking about deleting most of the ulxury shit like power locks and motors. I'm gonna bet that seats go away because they're massively heavy, and not that great unless you find a sport model.
so other than the subframes and drivetrain, what parts are you really keeping from the donor car that wouldn't be better served by something bought in the aftermarket to fit a gremlin with a custom chassis built to take whatever subframes you wanted?
Here are a few swaps that are similar

The top one is self explanatory, the middle two are on G8's the last one is on a falcon over a tempo. There are guys using XJ's with willy's pick ups, durangos and newer Grand Cherokees. Tons of stuff welded to the floor pan of Crown Vics.

Seriously, go check this stuff out. It's not as hard or shitty as you have it out to be.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Good 'ol Joe W here to make himself feel better with derogatory. That beer snob parody that was posted in reference to you was all too accurate. "It's like, how am I supposed to show them I'm smarter than them without commenting mean stuff".

Here are a few swaps that are similar

The top one is self explanatory, the middle two are on G8's the last one is on a falcon over a tempo. There are guys using XJ's with willy's pick ups, durangos and newer Grand Cherokees. Tons of stuff welded to the floor pan of Crown Vics.

Seriously, go check this stuff out. It's not as hard or shitty as you have it out to be.
why in the fuck are you telling me about crown vics when I've been talking to you about your z3 gremlin shit?

I know exactly what's under a crown vic. A fucking chassis. unlike a unibody z3.
The same with that G8. body on frame.
even the miata has it's own frame member that runs the length of the chassis.

so I have no idea how you're equating people swapping a frame under something that's the right dimensions, to your z3/gremlin unibody welded to unibody hack fantasy.

which is exactly why I've stated time and time again that for the money you'd spend on a z3, you could build a tube frame chassis for your fucking remlin and then use whatever subframes you wanted.

jesus, it's not a hard fucking concept.

Last edited by 87manche; 07-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in