C8 Mid Engine Corvette - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
I am/was planning on buying a 10 year old super car in the next 2ish years..... price wise it will be hard not to take a look at these and I am not a chevy fan at all.
I have to imagine maintenance on a 10 year old super car would probably be crippling as well. Those things weren't really meant to be driven. The nice thing about a Corvette is that it was designed to be a driver.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #27 (permalink)
Man Child

Member # 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
No manual transmission.
I'll take a DCT over a manual any day. New Mustang GT500 is DCT only as well.
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #28 (permalink)
Man Child

Member # 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
The C7 ZR-1 scared the hell out of me. I am not sure I would touch the wheel of what the new ZR-1 or ZO6 are rumored to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 377
Performance-wise, the newer automatics are quote simply better. Driving enjoyment wise, I'll never enjoy driving an auto as much as a manual. I just won't. There's a connection to the vehicle with a manual that just isn't there with an auto, even with the paddle shifters.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #30 (permalink)
Man Child

Member # 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
Performance-wise, the newer automatics are quote simply better. Driving enjoyment wise, I'll never enjoy driving an auto as much as a manual. I just won't. There's a connection to the vehicle with a manual that just isn't there with an auto, even with the paddle shifters.
I struggled with this until I drove a true dual clutch hard on track. A true DTC feels very different than an auto. I became a convert. Autos are still autos, but dual clutch boxes are a different animal.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:13 AM   #31 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 17143
I like it. I wonder if this is the point where corvette goes from middle-age midlife car to cool the way gm changed Cadillac from old person car to cool in the early 2000’s. The c6 and c7 zo6 and zr1 were radically impressive cars but they still kind of beared the burden of existing only because the base levels were so popular with the stereotypical corvette crowd. Maybe the new one is radical enough to change that. As many dumb moves as GM makes (new Blazer), maybe this is going to be a good one.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 4251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy Flatty View Post
I like it. I wonder if this is the point where corvette goes from middle-age midlife car to cool the way gm changed Cadillac from old person car to cool in the early 2000ís. The c6 and c7 zo6 and zr1 were radically impressive cars but they still kind of beared the burden of existing only because the base levels were so popular with the stereotypical corvette crowd. Maybe the new one is radical enough to change that. As many dumb moves as GM makes (new Blazer), maybe this is going to be a good one.

Some of that is price tag. Same with new Harleys (at a different scale)

Not every "cool" person has $60K to plunk on a fun but wholly impractical car.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #33 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
I like the car. It's just the base model so the Z06 and ZR1 will be even more crazy. I'm super excited to see what this does to the corvette racing team's ability to put the Ford GT back in the trailer. And those damn 911 Porsche guys.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #34 (permalink)
Atomic Test Lab Rat

Member # 25325
Quote:
I both agree and disagree. Have you ever driven a proper paddle shifted car? I find it annoying that most new cars come with paddles, for example my wifes Grand Cherokee has paddles for absolutely no reason. I was firmly in the same camp as you, until I drove a F430. The 430 had a single clutch "F1" transmission and while its different than shifting a manual, it is a huge leap from every day Autos that everyone is slapping paddles on. The dual clutches are even better. I guess my rambling is more along the lines of, be opened minded to a proper performance paddle shifted transmission if you have never driven one.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 154867
What's the point of a Corvette in which a 70 yr old dude can't get roadhead from the 31 yr old single mom that he's supporting?
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #36 (permalink)
Atomic Test Lab Rat

Member # 25325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy Flatty View Post
I like it. I wonder if this is the point where corvette goes from middle-age midlife car to cool the way gm changed Cadillac from old person car to cool in the early 2000ís. The c6 and c7 zo6 and zr1 were radically impressive cars but they still kind of beared the burden of existing only because the base levels were so popular with the stereotypical corvette crowd. Maybe the new one is radical enough to change that. As many dumb moves as GM makes (new Blazer), maybe this is going to be a good one.
Rumor is the top level trim model will be in the 1000hp range so expect the C8 to get even more radical.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 7907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Some of that is price tag. Same with new Harleys (at a different scale)

The base price actually surprised me.... I was expecting a whole lot more.

But then $60k these days seem average for a vehicle, when some fully loaded pick-up trucks cost way more. "Practicality" is a subjective and personal issue....

Personally, I like it. Would I buy one, probably not....but it wouldn't be out of reach.
GonPostal is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 4251
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
What's the point of a Corvette in which a 70 yr old dude can't get roadhead from the 31 yr old single mom that he's supporting?
The new larger central drivetrain hump will cause problems!
Old 07-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #39 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
I have to imagine maintenance on a 10 year old super car would probably be crippling as well. Those things weren't really meant to be driven. The nice thing about a Corvette is that it was designed to be a driver.
Supposedly the newer supercars are actually pretty decent when it comes to maintenance. Parts are still ridiculously expensive but it's not like you need a clutch every 5k. That's just what I've heard. I don't own one though.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post

I think you're missing the purpose of niche vehicles. Just about everyone here probably has one of some sort and many have spent more on them than the price of a new base Corvette. I certainly have, remember this is a 4x4 site... As for 60Gs, go look at the price a new F150 Platinum. That's impractical for a damn 1/2 ton.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #41 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
I both agree and disagree. Have you ever driven a proper paddle shifted car? I find it annoying that most new cars come with paddles, for example my wifes Grand Cherokee has paddles for absolutely no reason. I was firmly in the same camp as you, until I drove a F430. The 430 had a single clutch "F1" transmission and while its different than shifting a manual, it is a huge leap from every day Autos that everyone is slapping paddles on. The dual clutches are even better. I guess my rambling is more along the lines of, be opened minded to a proper performance paddle shifted transmission if you have never driven one.
What you just said makes ZERO sense. An F430 has a manual. It's just not a gated manual with a clutch. It's operated by a complex system but is still a manual trans in parts. IE a clutch and not a converter. Even one of the newer 8 or 10 speed auto's is while better, still no dual clutch feeling.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
The new and improved corvette whore will come standard with a dual clutch ratcheting neck
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
I think they did a great job. It perfectly continues the heritage of the Vette in that owning one means you have absolutely no penis.
Poor whittle man, your inferiority complex is showing again
Old 07-19-2019, 09:53 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 4251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man View Post
I think you're missing the purpose of niche vehicles. Just about everyone here probably has one of some sort and many have spent more on them than the price of a new base Corvette. I certainly have, remember this is a 4x4 site... As for 60Gs, go look at the price a new F150 Platinum. That's impractical for a damn 1/2 ton.
No, I get it. Trucks start up there too! That is why I had to buy one that was 5 years old to afford it.

Just talking specifically about the attraction of Corvettes to the over 70's crowd. They are usually not buying it for performance use but to pull in those 30 year old single mothers referenced earlier.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
One of my big issues with the paddle shifters is that I've never driven a car where they're actually conveniently located to use. They're actually pretty damn responsive in my Lexus IS350 F Sport which isn't a dual clutch and I'd probably actually use them a lot more often if they were more conveniently located. You either have to really reach with your hands at 10 and 2 or you have to drive at 9 and 3. Neither is comfortable for me.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #46 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
That's a thing of the past. The days of pulling an engine to change the sparkplugs is long past. Most "super cars" are just as reliable as many other cars.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
One of my big issues with the paddle shifters is that I've never driven a car where they're actually conveniently located to use. They're actually pretty damn responsive in my Lexus IS350 F Sport which isn't a dual clutch and I'd probably actually use them a lot more often if they were more conveniently located. You either have to really reach with your hands at 10 and 2 or you have to drive at 9 and 3. Neither is comfortable for me.

May have to something to do with those tiny hands and stubby fingers...
Old 07-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #48 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest View Post
I struggled with this until I drove a true dual clutch hard on track. A true DTC feels very different than an auto. I became a convert. Autos are still autos, but dual clutch boxes are a different animal.
Absolutely. I daily drive my Golf R with one and the shifts are super fast and positive. It does have a "manual mode" where you can pick your gear and it works great on twisty mountain roads. I'm sold on them.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 10:03 AM   #49 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Looks like this is another car I need to add to my buy in 20 years list.
Thepanzerfuhrer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 4251
Quote:
You either have to really reach with your hands at 10 and 2 or you have to drive at 9 and 3. Neither is comfortable for me.
The doll hands don't help!

Those of use that were taught how to drive before air bags are used to driving at 10&2 but you are supposed to have a lower hand position with air bags so you don't get beat to death by your own forearms in a collision.

The probably put the pedals there to force the lower hand position.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in