A project Lincoln - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 64554
fix up an axle for it and just put your moped tire on it.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:05 PM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
The hill in my back yard.
is that a datsun 312?
how much?
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 05:16 PM   #128 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
is that a datsun 312?
how much?
Fiat 1100? my dad won’t sell it ;(. It needs a ls engine directly bolted to a c6 vette trans and Rearend. That should put the engine at the back of the drivers seat lol. He is talking about getting it going again.

Last edited by Thepanzerfuhrer; 07-31-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Thepanzerfuhrer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 05:26 PM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Fiat 1100? my dad won’t sell it ;(. It needs a ls engine directly bolted to a c6 vette trans and Rearend. That should put the engine at the back of the drivers seat lol. He is talking about getting it going again.
ah, I've got a '64 320 pickup, that one looked a lot like the 312 sedan version that they also made
probably just something like the japanese cloned the fiat.

I've had similar ideas on the datsun for a long time, except with a 460 ford, 302 ford, generic LS, and some variety of 2 stroke detroit in the back, trans facing forward with a tcase sending the scoot back to the rear with its front output. The 302 is the most recent iteration as once the LTD gets cut up, one'll be laying around

as usual, nothing really has happened with it

ETA: or you could get one of those front drive LS motor GM W bodies, toss that in the back. Might be too wide though.

Last edited by [486]; 07-31-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #130 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
ah, I've got a '64 320 pickup, that one looked a lot like the 312 sedan version that they also made
probably just something like the japanese cloned the fiat.

I've had similar ideas on the datsun for a long time, except with a 460 ford, 302 ford, generic LS, and some variety of 2 stroke detroit in the back, trans facing forward with a tcase sending the scoot back to the rear with its front output. The 302 is the most recent iteration as once the LTD gets cut up, one'll be laying around

as usual, nothing really has happened with it

ETA: or you could get one of those front drive LS motor GM W bodies, toss that in the back. Might be too wide though.
Thatís the problem itís only 48Ē wide out side the fenders. I was teasing him he should drop a smart car engine and trans in it.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:44 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 107967
Quote:
Thatís the problem itís only 48Ē wide out side the fenders. I was teasing him he should drop a smart car engine and trans in it.
Swap in a Honda K series.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:26 PM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukemaggots View Post
Swap in a Honda K series.
no room between the fenders, or from the core support to the firewall
thus the V8 in the back being the only sensible option
Quote:
That’s the problem it’s only 48” wide out side the fenders. I was teasing him he should drop a smart car engine and trans in it.
the datsun is 49" on the inside of the pickup box, so I'd bet they are a clone of the fiat
little golfcart thing you can put plates on, as you can't plate UTVs or golf carts in MN, dunno bout WI...

Strap your fuel tank to the wheel on something you got laying around that'll swing it, jack up that wheel and let it idle for a day in low gear
should knock the rest loose with even less effort than sticking it in the tire

Last edited by [486]; 07-31-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:27 PM   #133 (permalink)

Member # 270274
Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Talking

Man, do I have a project in mind for YOU!!!

Last edited by The War Wagon; 07-31-2019 at 06:28 PM.
The War Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 07:04 PM   #134 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Nice find! Noticed the Wausau address in the radiator shop link. Went to D C Everest back in the early 90ís. Still have lots of family in that area. Man, I do NOT miss those winters! Still keep Wausau weather on my phone weather app to this day, so that when itís cold here (high 40ís to low 50ís) I instantly feel warmer. Good luck with the new project, looks to be in great shape, donít let the rust get it...
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2019, 07:07 PM   #135 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD View Post
Nice find! Noticed the Wausau address in the radiator shop link. Went to D C Everest back in the early 90ís. Still have lots of family in that area. Man, I do NOT miss those winters! Still keep Wausau weather on my phone weather app to this day, so that when itís cold here (high 40ís to low 50ís) I instantly feel warmer. Good luck with the new project, looks to be in great shape, donít let the rust get it...
I graduated from DCE in 1999. Itís a small world!
Old 07-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Brings back memories, my grandpa bought an identical baby blue 65 at auction in the 70s, he wanted the Michelins, it was a theft recovery, didn't run. Apparently my uncles went outside and got it running. My grandparents drove it another 20 years
I was 2 years old, sleeping on the back seat when my grandma made a turn, the suicide door swung open, on the outside side, I screamed, she swerved and slammed maybe hit the brakes, slammed that fucker right shut, didn't say a word, kept on cruising. She's still a little old lady but handles her business
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2019, 06:55 PM   #137 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Got tank cleaned out. It must have lost 5 pounds in the cleaning. After I pressure washed it it looked really good inside. New sender installed along with new filler neck oring.

I started replacing the rear axle wheel cylinders. I’m surprised my local Napa had them in stock for 11 bucks a side. Brakes and drums look good so I’m just gonna put new cylinders in and hope I can get them reassembled correctly. Amazingly the auto adjuster works great and not rusted up. I had never seen that before on a vehicle this old.

1.5 hours later one lost and one broken holddown spring I got it back together. I forgotten how much I hate hydraulic drum brakes. So much anger!!!! . I had to go dig deep to find the older than me drum brake pliers . This could not have been reassembled without those things. I have never seen drums like this thing has with the super fin on it.

Questions? What are those goofy leafs added to the spring pack? I’m thinking of taking them off. What’s the pbb’s thoughts on it?

Tuesday the prebent brake line and fuel line kit should be here. That will allow me to finish it up enough to drive it around a bit. I was able to source a new master from rockauto for less than $100.

It will need new mufflers as the ones above the axle are fubar. It looks like they sell a kit for 1200. Kinda pricey so I may take it to the local exhaust wizard and have him make a 2 1/4” exhaust for it. Not sure if I should try and do the four muffler thing or just toss some flowmaster type mufflers in it and call it a day.

The wife has been bugging me to get it running. She wanted to take it out for supper last night lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by Thepanzerfuhrer; 08-03-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #138 (permalink)
Pavement Challenged

Member # 73465
Don't take the add-a-leaf off until you see how she sits... you may need them to keep it level...

Quote:
This country is trying to childproof the world when they should be worldproofing their children.
71PA_Highboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #139 (permalink)

Member # 125361
Those "goofy leafs added to the spring pack" are a type of helper spring, designed to allow stock springs to handle heavier loads or eliminate sagging of old tired springs rather than having to buy a new set of springs or add a real leaf to the spring pack.

Don't know whether they were an OEM option or not.

"A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again"
U.P. Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 192237
How dare you blaspheme against god's very own Bendix Single Anchor Duo-Servo Self Adjusting drum brake.

the ends on the handles of the pliers make the springs soooo fucking easy to take off and put on, where every modern drum setup seems to require you to use the hooky pliers end which makes for tons of rage
The little beehive springs have a different tool for them, or you use a lug nut to compress and rotate the nail from the back.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:38 PM   #141 (permalink)
Car Crasher

Member # 177668
I'm going to guess those add-a-leaf thingys have to do with the receiver hitch. No sense having a hitch if you can't put a proper load on it.

If I'm not mistaken those drums are unobtaium. I think I have a set in useable condition on the shelf from a Lincoln I derbied.

On a side not, I pulled the gas tank out of a 64 or 65 years ago. It felt heavy but nothing drained out. I turned it upside down, and a couple weeks later there was tar oozing out of the filler neck hole. Like seriously thick tar. Car probably hadn't been on the road in 30 some years.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:48 AM   #142 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
I've never seen double locator pins like that before. I still use vice grips for the other springs even though I have brake spring pliers. Those spring booster deals
used to be pretty common but usually on pickup trucks. I'm dealing with the same gas tank issues on a 87 Samurai that only sat for 14 years. Got the tank drained and am going to pull it out next. I'm sure you can guess what I think the springs say about the mileage probably.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:30 PM   #143 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Got new fuel lines and rear brake lines installed! She now runs off the fuel tank!! I need to round up a sucker to help me bleed the brakes and she should be a driver.

Stuff I need to figure out.

Windows donít work. Cannot find fuse or breaker for the windows. None of them work so either 7 switches/ relays are all bad or I have a breaker problem.

Hvac (no fan) not sure on other features.

What I want to do for exhaust.

I took front inner fender off and sheís has no rust behind it. The car is really dirty overall. It must have been driven down a bunch of dirt roads as everything has a layer of mud or dust on it. This car must have 2-3 vacuum tanks on it. I was surprised to see on behind the inner fender. So not used to bolts turning out with ease. Iím used to rusted in pos that fights you at every corner.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #144 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Got the brakes and fuel tank all buttoned up this evening. Took her on a 30 mile shakedown tonight. Iím an in total agreement with whoever said this car was designed to be driven 80 mph, drinking a scotch while getting a blowjob. There is zero road feel and rides like a dream. She goes straight as a arrow down the road.

One of my employees helped me bleed the brakes after work tonite and he mentioned the Lincoln had a big speedo. Well thereís a reason for that, sheís not afraid of a little road speed. I put the hammer down on old 29 and didnít even realize I was got it up to 95. It then started ticking so I pulled in by a buddies house and sure enough the fan must have hit/rubbed on the shroud and she broke. The ticking was from the fan blade hitting the broken chuck.

Some more shit to add to the doesnít work correctly list is the fuel gauge. The needle moves when the key is turned on but always stays on full. Also when I stopped to fill it up at the gas station there was 5-10 psi on the fuel cap. Not sure why as I made sure the breather line was clear. I did however to forget to check the 1Ē section that was left on the tank.

Iím super happy with the old girl and I cant stop smiling.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 16468
Front disk brakes in '65?

My '66 Oldsmobile Toronado has tiny drum brakes on all four corners
Old 08-08-2019, 07:35 PM   #146 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
Front disk brakes in '65?

My '66 Oldsmobile Toronado has tiny drum brakes on all four corners
Yeah big 4 piston calipers. Once I got the rust knocked off they worked good. I ordered rubber brake lines for a 65 and they were not correct. Looking at the hoses for the 64ís they looked correct. However the 64ís were drum up front not disks, so Iím all confused.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #147 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Also when I stopped to fill it up at the gas station there was 5-10 psi on the fuel cap.
hey cool, just swap it out with a radiator cap for regulated venting and you won't need a fuel pump :fo2:

Last edited by [486]; 08-08-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Didn't someone say the windows were vacuum operated?
My folks had a 68 Chrysler wagon that thing was a road car get it up to speed set the cruise and lean back on the couch front seat and watch the miles melt away

Last edited by bigun; 08-08-2019 at 08:24 PM.
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 08:31 PM   #149 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
Didn't someone say the windows were vacuum operated?
My folks had a 68 Chrysler wagon that thing was a road car get it up to speed set the cruise and lean back on the couch front seat and watch the miles melt away
They are electric thank god. The locks are vacuum.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:29 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 612690
My grandfather restored a red 66 with white top/leather interior. Great car. I'll find one some day and do it like he did his.
Sub'd to your thread. Thanks for sharing.
Dneel81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in