Wrong gurus, need help again - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat View Post
Roony77. An optical isolated relay would fit the bill. Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner; this retirement thingy keeps me busy.

This little gem will solve your woes.
https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Chann...gateway&sr=8-2
I've used boards similar to those those and they work pretty well, but I did have one of them start acting up after being in service for about a year, it would start jittering relays. The other thing to watch for is that the signal high and low level needs to match the VCC and relay coil voltage. I ran into issues trying to run power them with 12volts, but controlled using a TTL output which was 0 or 5 volts. The TTL output would pull the 12v from the pull up resistor down to 5 volts which was enough to make it low regardless of what I was telling it to do. The ebay ad I bought them from said the threshold was 1.3v regardless, in practice it wasn't

I've since started converting everything over to oversized SSR's, time will tell if they last longer. They are simpler to work with, don't need to be powered by anything but the signal, and consume less power when on. I typically use Cryodens, but if you get a china knockoff just get one rated twice the current higher than you need and you'll be good.

The amazon link I posted will work great for OP's needs, no extra relay required.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #52 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've used boards similar to those those and they work pretty well, but I did have one of them start acting up after being in service for about a year, it would start jittering relays. The other thing to watch for is that the signal high and low level needs to match the VCC and relay coil voltage. I ran into issues trying to run power them with 12volts, but controlled using a TTL output which was 0 or 5 volts. The TTL output would pull the 12v from the pull up resistor down to 5 volts which was enough to make it low regardless of what I was telling it to do. The ebay ad I bought them from said the threshold was 1.3v regardless, in practice it wasn't

I've since started converting everything over to oversized SSR's, time will tell if they last longer. They are simpler to work with, don't need to be powered by anything but the signal, and consume less power when on. I typically use Cryodens, but if you get a china knockoff just get one rated twice the current higher than you need and you'll be good.

The amazon link I posted will work great for OP's needs, no extra relay required.

Didn't read the whole thread... This is a better solution; not as complicated.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #53 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Might not work, I just did a quick search for ac/DC ssr on eBay and that popped up. I'll find a better part on Amazon.

Here: https://www.amazon.com/TinaWood-SSR-...gateway&sr=8-4
Didn't get to cancel the first one but I got this one coming too. Should be here tomorrow.

I'm also gonna try the trunk release lead and see if that'll trigger the relay. I'm in the shop all day tomorrow and would like to get this damn thing wrapped up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

51 Ford

81 Cherokee
Rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #54 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Update: I put the black lead on the dmm into the com port and connect the lead to the signal wire. Dmm set to mA. Red lead to 12v. I get a reading of 0.12mA.

I then connected the trunk release signal wire to the relay (also a 200ma ground signal) and it triggers the relay and the dome lights come on.

I measure the trunk signal the same as I measured the dome signal and get a 0.14ma reading.

I have no idea what any of that means.

51 Ford

81 Cherokee
Old 08-09-2019, 03:39 PM   #55 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Larboc I could kiss you right now. The ssr works! Holy shit thank you.

51 Ford

81 Cherokee
Old 08-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #56 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney77 View Post
Update: I put the black lead on the dmm into the com port and connect the lead to the signal wire. Dmm set to mA. Red lead to 12v. I get a reading of 0.12mA.

I then connected the trunk release signal wire to the relay (also a 200ma ground signal) and it triggers the relay and the dome lights come on.

I measure the trunk signal the same as I measured the dome signal and get a 0.14ma reading.

I have no idea what any of that means.
It has to mean that the .12 is not enough to close the coil but the .14 is? So the ssr got your light trigger to work?
Old 08-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #57 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr-nut View Post
It has to mean that the .12 is not enough to close the coil but the .14 is? So the ssr got your light trigger to work?
Yes it works perfectly now. Kinda feels fancy in there now.

51 Ford

81 Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in