Truck Trip Permits - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17947
Send a message via AIM to jaluhn
Truck Trip Permits

Going to be making 2-3 trips from WA to MD with my semi to move all my crap (transfering to Washington DC) and I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with all the permitting/fuel tax BS. I'm not for hire/non commerical moving personal goods only and it's hard to find info or a permit broker that really understands what that means legally. I'm registered in WA but don't have IFTA or any of the IRP registration. I do have a DOT number.

Not sure if I'll do 2 or 3 trips, but all will be in a month or so.

Last trip I was going through OR and had one person tell me I needed a fuel permit and registration, one who said nothing and one who said a trip permit but not fuel permit - all 3 in the DOT licensing office!

Don't really have the time to call each state and ask, but I'm not sure if any brokers are going to understand the non-commerical part. Also not sure I want to deal with stopping at each port of entry unless I have to.

Not registered as an RV, and not really an option since I'm using it for hay, equiptment, etc that obviously isn't an RV type use.

Thanks.
jaluhn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17947
Also not sure what's involved in IRP & IFTA registration - would it be worth doing that instead of doing each state trip/fuel permits?
Old 08-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 69633
Location: I live in my body: On the land near Paradise Township, Jefferson State, not by choice.
For those that won't bother to open the link this is an exemption from operating permits and such.

Non-Business Related Transportation of Personal Property Frequently Asked Questions
49 CFR § 390.3(f)(3) “Occasional use” exemption

Question: Does the exemption in § 390.3(f)(3) for the ‘‘occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise’’ apply to persons who occasionally use commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) to transport animals, vehicles or similar items to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: Yes. If a person meets this exemption’s requirements, he or she is not subject to the FMCSRs, including ELD requirements. This exception is explained in FMCSA’s regulatory guidance for § 390.3, question 21.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/hours-serv...s-fmcsa-safety

Last edited by ParadiseAutoElectric; 08-12-2019 at 01:37 PM.
ParadiseAutoElectric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 113594
Have a buddy that drives only in state, just made a trip a couple of states away to pick up a piece of equipment. I helped him do the permits. We used this site.
https://www.kellerpermits.com/
prox621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 162643
Sent you a PM about your backhaul.
shortbus4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 108006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaluhn View Post
Not registered as an RV, and not really an option since I'm using it for hay, equiptment, etc that obviously isn't an RV type use.

Thanks.
Registered for farm use? If so check on mileage from home restrictions.
JunkCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17947
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseAutoElectric View Post
For those that won't bother to open the link this is an exemption from operating permits and such.

Non-Business Related Transportation of Personal Property Frequently Asked Questions
49 CFR § 390.3(f)(3) “Occasional use” exemption

Question: Does the exemption in § 390.3(f)(3) for the ‘‘occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise’’ apply to persons who occasionally use commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) to transport animals, vehicles or similar items to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: Yes. If a person meets this exemption’s requirements, he or she is not subject to the FMCSRs, including ELD requirements. This exception is explained in FMCSA’s regulatory guidance for § 390.3, question 21.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/hours-serv...s-fmcsa-safety
Concur that the expemption gets me out of logs and HOS regulations, but there still the issue of individual states requiring permits.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Might be easiest to get ifta or irp
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 05:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 985
Send a message via Yahoo to robert stone
my buddy owns https://dotsafetyhelp.com/ and can set you on the easiest path
robert stone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 69633
Location: I live in my body: On the land near Paradise Township, Jefferson State, not by choice.
I've been planning on hauling my stuff in a 53 ft dry van as soon as my Pete 362 is convertex to a MH via state law of the locality I'm headed, 3-4 trips anywhere from 1250 to 1500 miles each way.

Spoke to commercial enforcement officers at a scale house in northern calif and he said as long as I'm legal in my home state the states in between I wouldn't have issues with.

Yes I will get more than just the word of a calif commercial enforcement Leo before I depart but it does give me some confidence that what I'm planning to do will be legal.

I don't have as many states to traverse as you but if you have a federal exemption why would the states want to monkey with you unless just to be a dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaluhn View Post
Concur that the expemption gets me out of logs and HOS regulations, but there still the issue of individual states requiring permits.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 86582
I was told so long as you have a license to haul the weight you have and are using it for personal use only you are in the clear. Wont mean you might not get stopped and asked about it and might have to convince them it is all your junk you have behind you.
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 87
Send a message via AIM to GRMhick
I use kellerpermits.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Diamonds. 35's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RestoMod.

GRMhick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 69633
Correct IMO...

I had a CDL back in the 80'same and 90's, I don't have a CDL anymore but still have a class "A" which is all I need to pull my stuff no matter the weight over 26001 lbs.

The commercial enforcement of 3 out of 4 states I'll be traveling thru( Didn't get around to asking the 4th, not to be confused with that state saying no) told me that, ditto with fed DOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassnTruck View Post
I was told so long as you have a license to haul the weight you have and are using it for personal use only you are in the clear. Wont mean you might not get stopped and asked about it and might have to convince them it is all your junk you have behind you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in