Asphault Driveway - Adding hump for water diversion? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Send a message via AIM to budget76
Asphault Driveway - Adding hump for water diversion?

Any good DIY options for creating a "speed bump" concept to divert water where I want it? Trying to prevent undercut of the driveway. Reading says cold patch is crap for this use? concrete "curb" at the edge of the driveway? no need to drive over it. may throw some sandbags there temporarily.

Driveway runs downhill from the road. Thankfully the lot continues downhill so it keeps running away from the house, except in one spot near the garage where it runs into the front lawn and started to undercut the driveway. It's eating away the dirt at the edge of the driveway in that area - I'd like to add a bump to divert it down the hill.

I don't see good options to divert it up higher, it's coming from a couple different directions. Already plan to add some trench channels below the trouble area, but would prefer to divert to those versus add another 20' of trench (and i've got a fear i'd run into structural issues with the asphalt if I cut into that area)
Old 08-14-2019, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Asphault Driveway - Adding hump for water diversion?

Dig a drainage ditch with grate cover in to the driveway. Might not be a good idea depending o how steep driveway is. Just an idea I donít know shit about that sort of work.

Edit:
Is the water coming from around the home? Do ypu have good leaders hooked up to your downspouts or fo they drain on the ground. Buddy in Georgia was having runoff problems. He installed a good french drain around his home and then ties in the downspouts. Channeled the water to the back of his yard at the fence line and no more water problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by thefishguy77; 08-14-2019 at 02:32 PM.
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Are you getting excessive run off from the road? If so, you might want to call the county/city/state.

If not, the most common solution is to slow the water down some how. Hard to say how without seeing pics.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
E. Spengler

Member # 206384
Be sure not to post pics.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Best way to add an effective hump - - -

lay Evernoob down and pave over it.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
E. Spengler

Member # 206384
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post

I don't know...do YOU want to hear "You're doing it wrong, and I'm smaaaarter!" every time you leave home?
Old 08-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subybaja View Post

I don't know...do YOU want to hear "You're doing it wrong, and I'm smaaaarter!" every time you leave home?
Smaaarter?? He could always nickname the hump Fredo.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 52569
Send a message via MSN to Juztyn00
an hour with a pickaxe and these? https://www.drainageconnect.com/chan...SABEgLTi_D_BwE
Juztyn00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 59610
plant a tree next to driveway and wait 15 years, the roots will push up asphalt, it worked at the house i just bought.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143323
Use hot mix asphalt if you really want a hump. Make sure you key it in by cutting at least the top coat of the driveway so the hump will be tied into the rest of the driveway. Most small asphalt companies will do this pretty cheap. Usually does not require much in the way of heavy equipment. You can cut the top coat, jack hammer a notch or key into the driveway, add hot mix asphalt and tamp with a plate tamper. A few hundred bucks if a paving company is working in the area.
Get a sitter and take her somewhere nice. Obviously "nice" is reliant on budget, as my nice might be crawfish and draft shiner at a dive bar followed by rough backseat sex parked behind Gander Mountain- whereas your nice will probably differ from that.
bjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13786
I guess adding water to a couple bags of concrete is out of the question
KWTMECH is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 235556
Cold patch probably won't work very well. If you decide to use it, get 5 gallons of pas oil, probably spelling wrong, put your cold patch down and heat with torch until hot. If it turns gray STOP, youre cooking the oil out of it. Now take it and hand tamp the hell out of it. Best would be to use some 3/8 fine hot mix. Tack the old asphalt with the same stuff and shovel/rake out your diversion berm. If you're feeling really fancy, put some more pas oil over the whole thing and throw some of that black copper slag bead blast sand on it. Seals everything up and fixes up the shitty rack job you probably did
Old 08-14-2019, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 152638
Bolt down one of these as a sort of curb.

http://www.speedbumpsandhumps.com/sp...ed-speed-bumps
chevydan3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 90667
I'm guessing a height of maybe 1" would do the trick? If so, there's a lot of options. Even gorilla glue?
Gittinwidit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 06:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
Dig a drainage ditch with grate cover in to the driveway. Might not be a good idea depending o how steep driveway is. Just an idea I donít know shit about that sort of work.

Edit:
Is the water coming from around the home? Do ypu have good leaders hooked up to your downspouts or fo they drain on the ground. Buddy in Georgia was having runoff problems. He installed a good french drain around his home and then ties in the downspouts. Channeled the water to the back of his yard at the fence line and no more water problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what I would lean to doing. Having a speed bump in my drive would piss me off every time I drove down it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 304297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptj19992001 View Post
plant a tree next to driveway and wait 15 years, the roots will push up asphalt, it worked at the house i just bought.
LoL, Bought spit out my coffee when I read this, because I'm there with you brother. The covered plastic drainage trough suggested works awesome. I put one across my driveway several years ago and it re-directs all the highway runoff no problem. Never have had to clean it out, stays clear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tipped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Thanks to the non-sarcastic fawkers Rarely get to log in from home and work blocks pic hosting sites

Planning on standing out there during the next heavy storm to watch where the water is coming from again. Maybe I can slow the water uphill, haven't watched the water flow in a while.

problem / diversion area is the very edge of the drive where it meets the front yard. Not a great spot to add a trench drain because I'd have no driveway left there to support it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydan3 View Post
Bolt down one of these as a sort of curb.

Safety Striped Speed Bump | TreeTop Products
was actually thinking about this as an answer. It'd work and is stupid simple to do. Just need to find one in all black if I go that route, but i'm sure I can find that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gittinwidit View Post
I'm guessing a height of maybe 1" would do the trick? If so, there's a lot of options. Even gorilla glue?
I do think 1-2" would do. Just enough to divert most of the water. The once-a-year storm I can deal with overflowing here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juztyn00 View Post
these are the plan in front of the garage doors. The problem area is next to the garage, gradually sloping uphill perpendicular to the garage. Trying to divert down to the trench drains and not into the front lawn where it's washing out the dirt at the edge of the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell_Sackett View Post
Cold patch probably won't work very well. If you decide to use it, get 5 gallons of pas oil, probably spelling wrong, put your cold patch down and heat with torch until hot. If it turns gray STOP, youre cooking the oil out of it. Now take it and hand tamp the hell out of it. Best would be to use some 3/8 fine hot mix. Tack the old asphalt with the same stuff and shovel/rake out your diversion berm. If you're feeling really fancy, put some more pas oil over the whole thing and throw some of that black copper slag bead blast sand on it. Seals everything up and fixes up the shitty rack job you probably did
sounds like a PITA. thanks for confirming the cold patch won't do it.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 38264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
This is what I would lean to doing. Having a speed bump in my drive would piss me off every time I drove down it
agree. 100% not adding one to the middle of the drive. it's at the edge to divert the water down the asphalt and not into the front yard area
Old 08-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 130300
Cold patch wont work well if you are putting it on top of the asphalt but if you cut out your current asphalt and have the cold patch supported on both sides it will work fine. I did exactly what you are talking about doing at my house with cold patch 3 years ago, zero issues thus far. Compaction is the key to making cold patch stay, I used my solid tire forklift to compact mine. Also seems to help to sprinkle some cement powder on top before compaction.
Mikes79bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
What did you expect?

Member # 119290
Quote:
Originally Posted by plym49 View Post

Post of the year!!!!!
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Quote:
Originally Posted by budget76 View Post
Any good DIY options for creating a "speed bump" concept to divert water where I want it?
*CURB* . . . The word you're looking for is "curb".

Or berm.

Also, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWTMECH View Post
I guess adding water to a couple bags of concrete is out of the question
Concrete is a great DIY option for a curb.

Seen it around, and I'd say it's catching on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
ExWrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 05:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 80349
In the same boat. I am digging a trench alongside the driveway to divert water alongside instead of over it.

My old buddy made an angled curved berm, curb, evernoob, or whateverthefuck you wanna call it, across his driveway to divert water from going in his garage but it didn't work well in heavy rain.

The heavy downpours this year really ate up my driveway. There is a river path a foot deep down the middle and curves right. Half of my driveway gravel is down the road. I like the off road fun but it beats on the gf's car.

Last edited by muddeprived; 08-16-2019 at 05:12 AM.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in