Stain on brick...WTF and how to remove - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
Send a message via AIM to Roxywheels Send a message via Yahoo to Roxywheels
Stain on brick...WTF and how to remove

In today's episode of Roxy's new to her house....the previous owner appeared to have attempted to a faux stained floor. *sigh* Luckily I have someone to remove that mess....brown paper glued down with what looks to be stain on top of it. In the process of doing their lovely floor and man with large feet and a small child decided to dance around on it and then walk across the fireplace, so there are stained footprints on there. I tried tsp because I thought it may just be soot. That didn't work. Any clue on what might remove it short of me sanding the brick?

pics of the awesome floor and footprints on the fireplace hearth.

Stella loves Texas
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 130483
No personal experience here but a terry cloth soaked in paint remover and laying on the stain for abit should wick it out of the brick
Not sure what the paint removed will do to the brick so try it in a hidden spot 1st
Old 08-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Assuming oil-based stain, I'd try a bit of acetone and a towel for a blotter. Suggest nitrile gloves, good ventilation, and don't get it on the finish of that wood next to the brick in the photo. Brake cleaner could be handy to flush low spots (shoot away from the wood).

Disclaimer: been drinking tonight, could be full of shit right now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
ExWrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 53453
MEK/acetone/Winsol/etc and a wire brush... Dump it on, scrub, rag to wick it up as it lifts the stain.

Or maybe start with isopropyl since it's far more benign, although I doubt it will get the job done.

Test somewhere else first. It shouldn't actually discolour the brick, but it may make those areas appear much 'cleaner' than the rest of it, since it will likely pull a ton of other crap off at that same time.

Edit, brass wire brush, often sold for cleaning BBQ/grills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DirtyComanche; 08-16-2019 at 10:45 PM.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Assuming oil-based stain, I'd try a bit of acetone and a towel for a blotter. Suggest nitrile gloves, good ventilation, and don't get it on the finish of that wood next to the brick in the photo. Brake cleaner could be handy to flush low spots (shoot away from the wood).

Pure heptane brake cleaner also would be a good contender.

I'm sober. So it can't be that fucking bad of an idea. Or maybe that's not how it works.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 687570
There is a stone cleaner meant for fireplaces, but its pretty much just muriatic acid. In all my years of cleaning fireplaces, i haven't found much that it wont remove.
Skinanboness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2019, 06:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 44662
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinanboness View Post
There is a stone cleaner meant for fireplaces, but its pretty much just muriatic acid. In all my years of cleaning fireplaces, i haven't found much that it wont remove.
Either of these
Old 08-17-2019, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
Do you think nail polish remover with acetone would work? I guess it can't hurt to try, right?
Old 08-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxywheels View Post
Do you think nail polish remover with acetone would work? I guess it can't hurt to try, right?
It's normally just diluted acetone, so sure... Although you might go through enough that it's not economical, since a gallon of acetone is probably in the $10 range.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 91648
Quote:
It'll be an easy way to find out if acetone will do the trick. Wether it comes out of a large tin gallon container or a small platic bottle, acetone is acetone.

Alex.
GMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
Acetone isn't working. Someone mentioned a stone cleaner, can I get that at Home Depot or Lowes?
Old 08-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 687570
Don't use this full strength to start. Its wicked stuff. I would test a spot with a 50/50 to see how it effects the brick. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-St...5006/202690263
Skinanboness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
My go to method is baking soda, TSP, carb cleaner, brake clean then fire. If that is an oil based stain your going to need to step up to a paint remover style chemical. This stuff works decent and isn't to nasty: https://www.amazon.com/Citristrip-QC...16841394&psc=1

You could go straight to some oven off. I'd try it somewhere out of sight first with anything above the TSP.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 7772
https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail...hoCIy8QAvD_BwE

It's Toluene. Test it on brick, it doesn't weaken concrete. Leave a rag soaked in it on the floor. Wipe it up before the rag is too dry, re-apply until it comes out.

It's adhesive and ink solvent, works great. It works slowly is the primary benefit, that is it will dissolve ink, stain, and adhesive faster than it will dissolve paint. It will dissolve that stain faster than it will dissolve your mortar and brick. It will eventually soften paint and just about everything Petroleum based. It will dissolve wood stain more or less no problem. I would suggest putting a piece of rag soaked in it on an out of the way place on brick. It evaporates slightly slower than alcohol. Re-set the test patch a couple of times.

Do not breathe vapors. It's not any more dangerous than gasoline, but it evaporates COMPLETELY, leaving the surface free of heavier petroleum and NO smell. It will dry your skin but not burn you. The brick will be dessicated, and this will change the color slightly. But it is not bleach and will not bleed the brick color, you simply need to see to what degree it dries the brick and possibly changes the color.

You have a lot of room to work with there.

Source: I used vats of this crap on damned near everything. Toluene is THE specific chemical we used, among acetone, methanol, and other exotic goodies, to pull ink out of concrete. It is forgiving in that it softens things but does not bleach them. It's highly volatile. BE WELL VENTILATED this is worse than the mimeograph machine, it will make you high. This will pull industrial ink out of concrete without ruining the concrete. It evaporates totally, leaving no residue at all. One of the primary benefits is you can soak a gasket or other sealant in it, it will remove Silicone sealant, but if you let it dry, it will dry TOTALLY. The rubber piece will go back to completely normal.

It's weird shit.

The trick is to keep a high saturation on the rag, then wipe it up and look. This is exactly what you need.

I offered this because there seemed to be no solution, and you tried acetone. Industrial inks and adhesives come in about two families, and acetone will do most, toluene will do most, but neither does it all. It WILL work, and it's cheap. Use about the same safety precautions as if you're using Kerosene.

Bonus: If you mix 3 parts of this, 1 part acetone, and 1 part methanol, you have a very safe and highly effect "dissolves everything under the sun" solvent that will dry TOTALLY and leave no residue.

2nd Bonus: It will eventually dissolve Silicone caulk. First the caulk will bloat to tremendous size.

Last edited by EverNoob; 08-20-2019 at 11:48 AM.
EverNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 01:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 5716
Maybe you could just get some more stain, step in it, and dance around on the bricks for a few minutes and make a cool, artsy-fartsy fireplace hearth.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
You're in Texas now - have Chip and Joanna come over and paint your bricks

Old 08-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 775873
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverNoob View Post
https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail...hoCIy8QAvD_BwE

It's Toluene. Test it on brick, it doesn't weaken concrete. Leave a rag soaked in it on the floor. Wipe it up before the rag is too dry, re-apply until it comes out.

It's adhesive and ink solvent, works great. It works slowly is the primary benefit, that is it will dissolve ink, stain, and adhesive faster than it will dissolve paint. It will dissolve that stain faster than it will dissolve your mortar and brick. It will eventually soften paint and just about everything Petroleum based. It will dissolve wood stain more or less no problem. I would suggest putting a piece of rag soaked in it on an out of the way place on brick. It evaporates slightly slower than alcohol. Re-set the test patch a couple of times.

Do not breathe vapors. It's not any more dangerous than gasoline, but it evaporates COMPLETELY, leaving the surface free of heavier petroleum and NO smell. It will dry your skin but not burn you. The brick will be dessicated, and this will change the color slightly. But it is not bleach and will not bleed the brick color, you simply need to see to what degree it dries the brick and possibly changes the color.

You have a lot of room to work with there.

Source: I used vats of this crap on damned near everything. Toluene is THE specific chemical we used, among acetone, methanol, and other exotic goodies, to pull ink out of concrete. It is forgiving in that it softens things but does not bleach them. It's highly volatile. BE WELL VENTILATED this is worse than the mimeograph machine, it will make you high. This will pull industrial ink out of concrete without ruining the concrete. It evaporates totally, leaving no residue at all. One of the primary benefits is you can soak a gasket or other sealant in it, it will remove Silicone sealant, but if you let it dry, it will dry TOTALLY. The rubber piece will go back to completely normal.

It's weird shit.

The trick is to keep a high saturation on the rag, then wipe it up and look. This is exactly what you need.

I offered this because there seemed to be no solution, and you tried acetone. Industrial inks and adhesives come in about two families, and acetone will do most, toluene will do most, but neither does it all. It WILL work, and it's cheap. Use about the same safety precautions as if you're using Kerosene.

Bonus: If you mix 3 parts of this, 1 part acetone, and 1 part methanol, you have a very safe and highly effect "dissolves everything under the sun" solvent that will dry TOTALLY and leave no residue.

2nd Bonus: It will eventually dissolve Silicone caulk. First the caulk will bloat to tremendous size.
That's a no shitter, toluene will fuck you up, when the tweekers tell you they're huffing tolly , that's what they're talking about .

Use to haul that pretty regular < 6000 gallons at a time , never was fond of standing on a tanker to secure/close the hatch 12 ft. above ground .

Long story short vent , vent and more ventilation with that.
FJC11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2019, 03:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
Quote:
You're in Texas now - have Chip and Joanna come over and paint your bricks
My next step is to say fuck it and german smear the entire fireplace
Old 08-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
I bought some regular acetone. Maybe nail polish removed just didn't have enough balls to help me. I'll work my way down the list of things until I've purchased enough chemicals to get myself on a watch list
Old 08-21-2019, 07:38 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Slightly off topic... Stella get along with other dogs? The dog park in Rockwall is awesome. We bring our pups there a few times a week after work to let them play. Lots of room to run and it's very well maintained.
SLOWPOKE693 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #21 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
Muriatic acid always works for me to dissolve feet.

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"

D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019, 08:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Quote:
. . . german smear . . .
Even knowing what that is, it still sounds like something I wouldn't want to explain to someone's sweet, innocent grandmother

Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 78506
My go to lately has been baking soda and peroxide mixed together as a paste and then blotted and rinsed out.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #24 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
Slightly off topic... Stella get along with other dogs? The dog park in Rockwall is awesome. We bring our pups there a few times a week after work to let them play. Lots of room to run and it's very well maintained.
She's great with other dogs, she's just as asshole to people that want to touch her that she doesn't know. i'll check it out. She needs some energy worked off. Thanks for the info!

Even more off topic...know an electrician in the area. We need 220 run to Robert's garage and would like to have some can lights put in the house.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #25 (permalink)
Girly Bender

Member # 1842
Quote:
Even knowing what that is, it still sounds like something I wouldn't want to explain to someone's sweet, innocent grandmother
It's a creepy name

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in