Forklift for Moving Trailers - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2019, 07:12 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 181882
I drilled mine 5 years ago and haven't had any problems? It actually drilled easier than I thought it would, just drove it up to the drill press and set the fork gently on the table ! I used oil, but I bet I was through in under 3 minutes going slow & gentle. I use the forks on a tractor not a forklift, it's really handy to be able to move all my trailers, then mow under where they sit, then move them back, and never get out of the tractor seat!
oldcars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019, 08:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 25632
We had 8 or so lifts at my old work from 5k to 12k all had 1 or both forks drilled. We moved trailers and had picking hooks that went in the holes. Even with the dumbest people I've ever met using them every day, we never had a bent or broken tip.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcars View Post
I drilled mine 5 years ago and haven't had any problems? It actually drilled easier than I thought it would, just drove it up to the drill press and set the fork gently on the table ! I used oil, but I bet I was through in under 3 minutes going slow & gentle. I use the forks on a tractor not a forklift, it's really handy to be able to move all my trailers, then mow under where they sit, then move them back, and never get out of the tractor seat!
I'm betting there are different grades of forks. No way in hell a drill bit would have chewed through the ones I have done on our Caterpillar V80D. Those forks taper down pretty thin towards the end and must be some high carbon tool steel wicked shit!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
It has 8 reviews, most are 4 or 5 stars with one 3 star review because the guy's forks were too wide. I don't know how much better the reviews could be. Either way, it's just a box with a hole for the ball and a nut welded for a way to tighten it down and a couple chain loops. Easy to make, but for $30, I'd risk it as my time would be worth more than that.
I found it on Amazon and there were numerous complaints about the threads for the clamp not going all the way through. Sure, I could finish tapping it, but why would I pay for something I have to work on before I can use it?
Old 08-22-2019, 02:46 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 161331
I broke the tip off the one at work a while back. Trying to lift a piece of trench plate off the concrete floor. Nobody put wood under it so I got a little momentum to pop it up on the fork. Fork shattered at the hole. Welded it back together and filled in the hole.

Cliffs. we now have a slide on ball.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 02:59 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 98535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
I found it on Amazon and there were numerous complaints about the threads for the clamp not going all the way through. Sure, I could finish tapping it, but why would I pay for something I have to work on before I can use it?
I've had no issues with mine.
dentedsub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2019, 06:04 AM   #32 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedsub View Post
I've had no issues with mine.
Good to know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in