Car totaled, insurance lowballed, lawyer says they don't really negotiate - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 08:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCopperCowboy2 View Post
Well, aren't you a daisy? Everyone here bitchin' about high insurance rates and leeches fleasing the system. So, someone got more money for their POS than what it was actually bought and paid for. That's fraud, plain and simple.
Bought and paid for?

Everything I own is for sale, none of it at the price I paid.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 08:29 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 322034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
in no way is that fraud
I would be fine with the NADA value plus a bit extra for my aftermarket (genuine brand) rims and DVD, dont think thats gaming the system, although I get what he is trying to say
montrose818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Well, aren't you a daisy? Everyone here bitchin' about high insurance rates and leeches fleasing the system. So, someone got more money for their POS than what it was actually bought and paid for. That's fraud, plain and simple.
It doesn't matter how much you paid, it's what it cost to replace
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Not at all. They offered me the money and I took it. It's like putting your car up for sale for "best offer"
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 08:54 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 25632
So if you bought a house in the 50s for $40k and it burns down today, it's fraud if you accept more than $40k? Even though it costs 10 times that to replace it?
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #31 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
My gawd, people - TheCrapperPlowboy is either trolling or too fawkin' stupid to learn this point.

LET.

IT.

GO.

PLEASE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
ExWrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 04:42 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose818 View Post
Thanks, sent them some supporting for sale ads, ebay listings, etc.
Still waiting to hear what the vehicle is. And for sale ads are not particularly useful - those are the ones that are not selling.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:42 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 38562
Send a message via AIM to Schmozilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvanhelden View Post
This is what scares me about having a nice well kept older tow rig. Some asshole smashes into it after you put thousands into it, and some Arab on the east coast is looking at a value chart. And said tow rig is irreplaceable. Or your get 10% cost for a new rig.
Did you know that for situations like this you can pre-negotiate a value of the vehical. I think its called fixed value insurance. I have one for my cherry CJ7. I asked for 25K replacement cost, they asked for pictures and accepted. If the jeep is stolen or totaled, they pay out 25k no questions. I have some restrictions, such as total yearly miles under 3K and it must always be garaged.
Schmozilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 05:46 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmozilla View Post
Did you know that for situations like this you can pre-negotiate a value of the vehical. I think its called fixed value insurance. I have one for my cherry CJ7. I asked for 25K replacement cost, they asked for pictures and accepted. If the jeep is stolen or totaled, they pay out 25k no questions. I have some restrictions, such as total yearly miles under 3K and it must always be garaged.
not all companies will do stated value. Erie, Statefarm don't... AmFam does.
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 05:48 AM   #35 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
Collision safety consultants. Costs $300 and you will get what is owed to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Wild Racing View Post
There are licensed auto appraisers out there. Hire one and pay them for the appraisal. Send in appraisal. 9/10 they just go with it because its pretty much gospel. If they don't, small claims and you will win the difference.

I had a fully restored CJ7 all completely redone. Really nice. Rolled it on the freeway and totaled it. Insurance offered me market value for a pos Jeep. I went back and forth and got nowhere. Hired the appraiser, they went to the wrecking yard and then produced like a 10 page report with examples, parts ect. Cost me about $300 if I remember right. Insurance company went with his appraisal to the dollar.

Once more for Friday. Or just guess and make up your own plan that wont work.

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

Check us out on Facebook
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 06:09 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
No, I'm not a daisy but I'm really not sure what you intended that to say, seeing as how you can't fucking spell worth a fuck using the English language.

"bought and paid for"? what does that have to do with insurance? Is it something to do with the fleas?

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #37 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 54666
When our TDI Jetta was totaled, the at fault party's insurance sent an inspector to my house to to get an estimate. The guy was pretty through, took a lot of notes, then sat in his car on his laptop for about 20 minutes before printing out a repair cost. It was too much for them to justify repairing, I had already expected as much.

I had already been all over the internet, Autotrader, Cars.com, eBay, Craigslist, NADA, etc. putting together a list of comparable car prices.

The first total quote he gave me was $2,500 less than what my research showed.

I told the fella, that he was $2,500 too low, and that I had documents to back me up. He didn't even argue, or ask to see my documents, he added $2,500 to his original total offer.

They paid out what the car was worth, and we were satisfied. Would rather have still had the car, and not been wrecked by stupid woman that wasn't paying attention.

I was cordial, and chatted with the guy for a bit, we got along well from the start, not sure if that helped, can't imagine it hurt.

YMMV
Old 08-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
not all companies will do stated value. Erie, Statefarm don't... AmFam does.
I have a state farm stated value policy on a highly modified truck
I watched a friends son go through the theft of his street legal offroad race truck. Which booked it as a 88 ranger 2wd
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 110516
I had a semi pull out in the highway in front of me during a snow storm new year's eve 2018 resulting in my truck being totalled. My insurance company's initial offer for the truck was $16k. I got my insurance company up to $19.5k by discussing with the insurance adjuster over the course of a few weeks. He pulled comps from across the country until we could agree on a price. 8 months later the semi insurance company accepted responsibility and my insurance company was made whole. Although the wreck was definitely not painless, the insurance process with Allstate was. You can definitely negotiate. Good luck.
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 5371
Send a message via MSN to rockota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
I have a state farm stated value policy on a highly modified truck
I watched a friends son go through the theft of his street legal offroad race truck. Which booked it as a 88 ranger 2wd
Interesting... Statefarm told me no. Erie said "take pictures, keep receipts"
rockota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Fuck insurance!!!!
And unions while we’re at it!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 38562
Send a message via AIM to Schmozilla
Quote:
Call Hagerty. I pay ~ $800 year for a 25K stated value policy on a clean CJ7
Schmozilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 09:09 AM   #43 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85264
Send a message via AIM to LeadfootCJ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
Go back at them with a list of what it would take for you to replace it with a car just like it. If they don't give you that much take them to court. If the lawyer that gave you that advice is your lawyer, find a different lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
Collision safety consultants. Costs $300 and you will get what is owed to you.
Pretty much covered my experiences. I believe I used Collision Safety Consultants as well, but there are others.

I have also helped friends family by looking up similar vehicles for sale and sending the highest 3 or 4 to the insurance and telling them "This is what it costs to replace the vehicle. These are comparable replacements." They don't always give exactly that amount, but get pretty close. Remember they owe you TT&L as well.

Also remember you have the title. They cannot force you to hand over the title for $XXXX.

Fire your lawyer and don't pay another dime. He apparently knows absolutely nothing.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
They will always try and offer you as little as they can, that's how money is made, buy giving out as few of dollars as they can.

Just tell them your number, back it up with some craigslist ads and wait.
They want the case closed, if you're not in a hurry, wait them out.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 09:15 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Your insurance is doing this? Or someone else? If yours, what did you value the car as? if their.....tell them you will just sue the insured for the rest....that usually gets them to up their offer a bit.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 09:56 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 47079
I feel your pain. Had a soccer Mom do a pit maneuver on my 2008 ford focus. Been in a rent a car for two weeks waiting on a number from the insurance company. I'm screwed because I took care of the car...but it has 160,000 miles. I really want to keep it with a salvage title and repair it myself. Georgia will not allow you to register a salvage title. They make you pay an inspector $150 to verify repairs... then give you a rebuild title to register. Probably end up finding another one and keeping the motor and trans as a spare.

Not sure how you can cheat the insurance company for an adjustment value..... now screaming about non-existent back pain for a few years and getting $50,000 as a payout seems to be what fraud is all about.
rock-n-ron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Maybe the lawyer knows your SpawnX.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #48 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
I totaled a 1970 CJ5 and State Farm wanted to give me blue book value for it. I said no way, it's not a stock Jeep. I had to bring in receipts for the mods and they revalued it to 3 times their original quote.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.

Last edited by SanDiegoCJ; 08-23-2019 at 12:56 PM.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 10:43 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 67907
I ran into this a few years ago and found it was pretty much a non negotiation. The offer was it.
I found several used in similar condition for $1-2k more, their response was that I could negotiate it down.
I went round and round with them for a week and they only came up around $200, they even made me turn in the rental car, I guess they wore me down and I took their crappy offer.

Jeepermat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #50 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Does anyone know this guy in real life? Maybe talk to his family or get him to go to the dr. He wasn’t always an addled fuckwit but he sure is now. Maybe he has a brain tumor or is having mini-strokes.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in