Iceland Held A Funeral For Its First Glacier Lost To Climate Change - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2019, 01:03 PM   #126 (permalink)
Custom User Title
 
Provience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 138976
Location: Thurston County, WA
Posts: 28,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
Nope. It's too subjective. And it doesn't even matter. The real idiots don't believe we're contributing at all. They think the whole thing is a myth. As long as that's true, why even discuss thresholds?
because that is what the $$$$$ errr...government will use as a basis for their power grab.

i'd say as many people think we make 0 contribution as think we are 100% in control. the vast majority of folks know that we are somewhere in the middle.

there is no point with engaging either extreme directly, except entertainment i guess.
__________________
up is difficult, down is dangerous

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #127 (permalink)
Custom User Title
 
Provience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 138976
Location: Thurston County, WA
Posts: 28,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
and without bias, surely
__________________
up is difficult, down is dangerous

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

Last edited by Provience; 08-23-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #128 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29527
Location: WA
Posts: 38,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbuggy84 View Post
Prove it.
To you? You don't know what the term "open minded" means. There is no proving it to you. If there was, you wouldn't be so vehemently opposed to the idea that it's happening at all.

However, all you have to do is look at the amount of CO2 we're adding the atmosphere, and then look at the temperature trends. It's pretty simple, really.
__________________
The original Fuckwad Penis.
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #129 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29527
Location: WA
Posts: 38,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
there is no point with engaging either extreme directly, except entertainment i guess.
And yet here we are.
__________________
The original Fuckwad Penis.
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #130 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Member # 28880
Location: Spreckels, Ca
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
^ zero anger, zero threats - just a proposed solution.
No foul - mature post.


^ illogical perception of anger, then condescension attempting to evoke anger.
Immature, dickhead-ish post.


What threat?
We don't give "offended is a status symbol" points here.
Please use adult perception and don't be snowflakey.


Again, ^ NOT A THREAT

Evoking images of actions you disfavor does not equal threatening those actions.

Adult conversation isn't difficult. Put on your big girl panties, Harry.
Ah, I see how this works now. In that case the suggestion that I be hung by my entrails as a solution doesn't have enough data to back it up as valid, and would only emotionally benefit the person suggesting that solution. I apologize for being triggered by such a thing as suggesting I be disembowelled and vow to have thicker skin next time. I apologize for poorly estimating the Elwinel's age as a result of his post and will strive to do better at assuming good intentions next time someone suggests I hang from a tree by my guts.
Harry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #131 (permalink)
Hophead
 
Joe_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4829
Location: Leander, Tx
Posts: 77,526
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
But that also means I could gut you and collect your blood in a bowl with a smile on my face. .
no, I can't imagine why people equate you to a pimply faced 13 yr old playing video games in his mom's basement
__________________
Sure, there are 49 other states in the Union, but they are smaller, wussier, and the people talk funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:15 PM   #132 (permalink)
Custom User Title
 
Provience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 138976
Location: Thurston County, WA
Posts: 28,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
To you? You don't know what the term "open minded" means. There is no proving it to you. If there was, you wouldn't be so vehemently opposed to the idea that it's happening at all.

However, all you have to do is look at the amount of CO2 we're adding the atmosphere, and then look at the temperature trends. It's pretty simple, really.
the unfortunate part is that it isn't that simple or straightforward. co2 is very high right now and if it were directly proportional "simple" we would be in a much different place.

we are also talking about influences in the realm of percents of degrees of influence/variance from natural projections.

with as much energy that currently goes toward environmental manipulation for agriculture, i'm curious how much climate change will do to directly combat global hunger. should be a pretty net gain
__________________
up is difficult, down is dangerous

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #133 (permalink)
Hophead
 
Joe_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4829
Location: Leander, Tx
Posts: 77,526
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post

Adult conversation isn't difficult. Put on your big girl panties, Harry.
are you honestly equating Elwinils pre-pubescent cartoonish violent imagery as "adult conversation"?
__________________
Sure, there are 49 other states in the Union, but they are smaller, wussier, and the people talk funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:17 PM   #134 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Member # 28880
Location: Spreckels, Ca
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
I never said shit about my views on climate change. I simply find you annoying and think you would be better off sacrificed for something more useful. And "sociopath" is one of those words people who are too full of their own importance throw around in a vain effort to explain away things that frighten them because they don't understand it. For all you inane babbling trying to sound educated and somehow better than then people you are arguing with, you really are a stupid fuck. So think on something more important than trying to accuse me of not liking you because of your climate change views when I do not give a fuck if the world burns or stays the way it is. Destiny is what it is, you cannot change it.
My apologies for thinking there were somehow related. I made the false assumption that you were somehow trying to contribute to the discussion rather than express how annoying you thought I was. Perhaps you could go suckstart a shotgun and spare this thread your personal feelings about others instead?
Harry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #135 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Elwenil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Member # 41063
Posts: 17,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
no, I can't imagine why people equate you to a pimply faced 13 yr old playing video games in his mom's basement
Now we all know you have been jacking it to my picture so it's obvious you know what I look like and how old I am.
__________________
1988 Dodge AW450 Ramcharger-318TBI-NP435-NP205-D60s
Odin Owns Ye All
Elwenil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #136 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Member # 28880
Location: Spreckels, Ca
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
the NASA that manipulated Iceland temperature data?
I don't want you to think I'm willfully ignoring this point. Because I was busy being condescending to someone else in the thread.

There's enough data out there to dispute NASA's data manipulation
https://climatefeedback.org/claimrev...teven-goddard/
Harry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #137 (permalink)
Custom User Title
 
Provience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 138976
Location: Thurston County, WA
Posts: 28,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
And yet here we are.
opcorn: i've nothing better to do today
__________________
up is difficult, down is dangerous

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #138 (permalink)
Hophead
 
Joe_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Member # 4829
Location: Leander, Tx
Posts: 77,526
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Now we all know you have been jacking it to my picture so it's obvious you know what I look like and how old I am.
yep, doing a great job dispelling that 13 yr old persona
__________________
Sure, there are 49 other states in the Union, but they are smaller, wussier, and the people talk funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:25 PM   #139 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29527
Location: WA
Posts: 38,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
the unfortunate part is that it isn't that simple or straightforward. co2 is very high right now and if it were directly proportional "simple" we would be in a much different place.

we are also talking about influences in the realm of percents of degrees of influence/variance from natural projections.

with as much energy that currently goes toward environmental manipulation for agriculture, i'm curious how much climate change will do to directly combat global hunger. should be a pretty net gain
We know that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. That's solid, verifiable fact. We know that a greenhouse gas should raise temperature, because that's what they do, and we know that temperatures have risen. We also have pretty good evidence that temperatures have risen at a rate never seen before in the past few tens of millions of years at least.

What we don't know exactly is how high temperatures might get, or what exactly higher temperatures will cause. We know that sea levels will rise to some degree. A few inches is fine, a few feet isn't. We know weather events should get more violent do to the increased heat energy present in the atmosphere, but we don't know exactly how violent.

Usually, it's better to avoid making changes to a system you don't understand, because you don't really know what's going to happen. But when it comes to climate change, the idiots think the exact opposite is true
__________________
The original Fuckwad Penis.

Last edited by CrustyJeep; 08-23-2019 at 01:28 PM.
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #140 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7968
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 668
They should have advertised the funeral so we could have flown thousands of people there to mourn.
__________________
1983 Toy PU, a few mods, Marlinized, lockerized
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #141 (permalink)
Registered User
 
paragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member # 40266
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 24,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Johnson View Post
I don't want you to think I'm willfully ignoring this point. Because I was busy being condescending to someone else in the thread.

There's enough data out there to dispute NASA's data manipulation
https://climatefeedback.org/claimrev...teven-goddard/
see what I mean about being a 13yo?

here, crustyjeep, let me point out your stupidity or the condescending attempt that must think everyone else is as stupid as you are.

your link admits to NASA manipulating data. it, in no way, disputes NASA's data manipulation.

care to give it another try?
__________________
[COLOR="Black"].

...
[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #142 (permalink)
Custom User Title
 
Provience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 138976
Location: Thurston County, WA
Posts: 28,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
We know that CO2 is a greenhouse gas. That's solid, verifiable fact. We know that a greenhouse gas should raise temperature, because that's what they do, and we know that temperatures have risen. We also have pretty good evidence that temperatures have risen at a rate never seen before in the past few tens of millions of years at least.

What we don't know exactly is how high temperatures might get, or what exactly higher temperatures will cause. We know that sea levels will rise to some degree. A few inches is fine, a few feet isn't. We know weather events should get more violent do to the increased heat energy present in the atmosphere, but we don't know exactly how violent.

Usually, it's better to avoid making changes to a system you don't understand, because you don't really know what's going to happen. But when it comes to climate change, the idiots think the exact opposite is true
a few feet of water rise isn't bad, more violent storms isn't bad. weather/climate is without emotion or intent

it won't rise 15' (and stay) in a single day, so it isn't even unmanageable.

the point that we don't know and can't say for certain is precisely why we should not limit our options for energy resources. energy industry being our prime pollutant. the government does not have enough certainty to make well informed decisions. the individual can react much more quickly and should be empowered.

i for one welcome the vast new farmlands that will bring great wealth and honor to our canadian overlords

plants clean the air better than ice anyways, rains will improve the lands and the deserts will shift
__________________
up is difficult, down is dangerous

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #143 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Member # 28880
Location: Spreckels, Ca
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
They should have advertised the funeral so we could have flown thousands of people there to mourn.
Ha! Best post so far.
Harry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #144 (permalink)
Registered User
 
paragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member # 40266
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 24,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Johnson View Post
Perhaps I do. Your link just took me back to one of your posts that had nothing to do with me.
it has everything to do with you.

so, yes, you do need a fucking 13yo to explain very simple things to you
__________________
[COLOR="Black"].

...
[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #145 (permalink)
Registered User
 
paragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Member # 40266
Location: Jackson, MS USA
Posts: 24,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
lookatcha movin' dem goal posts.

you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Johnson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
Are you fucking kidding me?
He has a point. The burden of proof lies with the person making fantastical claims, not the other way around.

Those stating that humans are somehow impacting the temperature of the whole world better have some data to back those claims up. It's not the job of others to prove their claims are wrong, or we'd be busy shooting down the theories of every nutjob with a microphone.

ie: we don't have to prove to flat-earthers the earth is round just because they said it isn't.
Yes, I have a point. One that you clearly side-stepped with another ill-fated attempt at condescension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Johnson View Post
wait, what??

Point this out to me, because at this point either you're paranoid or I'm too dense to realize what I'm doing.
to which I then pointed out a link to a post I made that has 2 quotes showing the obvious point I was making.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gene...l#post44573878
__________________
[COLOR="Black"].

...
[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #146 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Member # 28880
Location: Spreckels, Ca
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post

it has everything to do with you.

so, yes, you do need a fucking 13yo to explain very simple things to you
I get it, you don't like me. That's a bummer because you have a lot of good information to contribute when you're not busy attacking my character.

Last edited by Harry Johnson; 08-23-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Harry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #147 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Member # 852732
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
the closer you are to the source of power generation, the higher your efficiency thanks for wasting all the power from the transmission lines
Next time I’ll plug the chainsaw into the inverter on my truck and run the engine to keep the battery at full voltage for maximum efficiency.


Thatg9659 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #148 (permalink)
Custom User Title
 
Provience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Member # 138976
Location: Thurston County, WA
Posts: 28,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatg9659 View Post
Next time I’ll plug the chainsaw into the inverter on my truck and run the engine to keep the battery at full voltage for maximum efficiency.


that's more like it
__________________
up is difficult, down is dangerous

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #149 (permalink)
Registered User
 
bigun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29037
Location: Mountainair NM
Posts: 13,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
We do agree that nuclear is the only feasible way to meet demand and be environmentally conscious. It's just damn hard to get a reactor built in the US. There is promising tech coming up but it's still years out from being built. Smaller reactors and molten salt reactors are on the horizon.

Unfortunately, you just aren't the norm for me when it comes to climate change truthers. The only people I consistently hear advocate for nuclear fall to the conservative and libertarian sides of the political spectrum.
I was takeing an instrumentation class in Denver in 2011. Our instructor had told us there were several new nuclear plants that were on that were going to be built, then Fukushima happened old guy almost had tears in his eyes when he said "That another new one would never be built in the US because, of what had happened!"
__________________
“Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one..." C S Lewis
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #150 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29527
Location: WA
Posts: 38,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
a few feet of water rise isn't bad, more violent storms isn't bad. weather/climate is without emotion or intent

it won't rise 15' (and stay) in a single day, so it isn't even unmanageable.
Those are lovely opinions you have there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
the point that we don't know and can't say for certain is precisely why we should not limit our options for energy resources.
But this one is just straight up stupid. On literally any other subject, you would most likely say the exact opposite.
__________________
The original Fuckwad Penis.
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.