Global warming is "settled science" - Page 14 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #326 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumping View Post
There are a lot of scientist that I don't agree with. Why? Because science is always evolving and what they "knew" for certain yesterday isn't always what they know for certain today.

I'm not saying science is a bad thing but...I don't put 100% faith into it either.
I'm gonna make a token effort to flip your perspective and say that it's more likely that science releases new findings and the media grabs it and runs with it as fact.

My semi-relevant example would be the global cooling panic in the 70s. That was proposed by a small group and the majority of climate research at the time still pointed to a warming trend, but the media ran with it as "Scientists say..."
Harry Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #327 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchitpitchit View Post
This is what I have a problem with. They adjusted the buoy data up. Why? because it "introduced a spurious cooling bias". Bullshit.

From that article:

"NOAA argues that the transition to buoys introduced a spurious cooling bias into the record. ERIs tend to warm the water a bit before measuring it (ship engine rooms being rather hot), whereas buoys do not. They identify a bias of around 0.1 C between buoys and ERIs and remove it by adjusting buoy records up to match ERI records in ERSST v4"
I would agree that it makes more sense to adjust the old records down by 0.1C, but perhaps they were worried people would get bent out of shape when the data they presented didn't match historical record data.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #328 (permalink)

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Johnson View Post
Are scientists who study climate change the only researches you don't trust?

Pretty much every study has to have grant money to fund it.
There's a celebrity engineer masquerading as a science guy telling people there are 37 genders. Now, that's not entirely relevant here, other than to show propagandist come in all kinds of clothes, including scientist lab coats.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #329 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
There's a celebrity engineer masquerading as a science guy telling people there are 37 genders. Now, that's not entirely relevant here, other than to show propagandist come in all kinds of clothes, including scientist lab coats.
Point taken. We have to make sure we're vetting our sources
Old 08-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #330 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
I'm gonna make a token effort to flip your perspective and say that it's more likely that science releases new findings and the media grabs it and runs with it as fact.

My semi-relevant example would be the global cooling panic in the 70s. That was proposed by a small group and the majority of climate research at the time still pointed to a warming trend, but the media ran with it as "Scientists say..."
One form of science says the universe was created from a big bang. Thermodynamics say you cannot create matter from no matter.

Again, I'm not saying science is a bad thing. Without it, we'd still be living in caves. What I am saying is to be skeptical because those with an agenda have figured out how to push it using "science". That goes for both sides.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #331 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchitpitchit View Post
This is what I have a problem with. They adjusted the buoy data up. Why? because it "introduced a spurious cooling bias". Bullshit.

From that article:

"NOAA argues that the transition to buoys introduced a spurious cooling bias into the record. ERIs tend to warm the water a bit before measuring it (ship engine rooms being rather hot), whereas buoys do not. They identify a bias of around 0.1 C between buoys and ERIs and remove it by adjusting buoy records up to match ERI records in ERSST v4"
Why is it bullshit?
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #332 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
Overall, globally, it makes more sense that warming causes more CO2. No one can disprove that, so they won't try.
Utter nonsense. And even if it did make sense, CO2 is still a greenhouse gas, and as such must trap heat and cause a warming trend. If warmer climate does indeed also cause more CO2, then there's the feed back loop that scientists fear could cause a runaway warming trend.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #333 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
Thermodynamics say you cannot create matter from no matter.
No it doesn't

Besides, Big Bang basically says everything appears to have come from a single point in spacetime without saying anything about why or how it appeared. It could have been God for all we know.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:59 PM   #334 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
No it doesn't

Besides, Big Bang basically says everything appears to have come from a single point in spacetime without saying anything about why or how it appeared. It could have been God for all we know.
You give yourself way too much credit....

Why don't you catch the next flight and run over there and piss on the rain forest. Never know...you might just save humanity.

Last edited by thumping; 08-30-2019 at 01:02 PM.
thumping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 01:04 PM   #335 (permalink)

Member # 111524
Quote:
No it doesn't

He's talking about the laws of thermodynamics which are applicable on Earth when discussing matter cannot be created or destroyed but can only change it's phase/form.

And you're grasping at straws so hard you grabbed the Big Bang and want to use it to argue about global warming?

Are we being Punk'd? Are you Ashton Kutcher??
Old 08-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #336 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
He's talking about the laws of thermodynamics which are applicable on Earth when discussing matter cannot be created or destroyed but can only change it's phase/form.

And you're grasping at straws so hard you grabbed the Big Bang and want to use it to argue about global warming?

Are we being Punk'd? Are you Ashton Kutcher??
Shhhhhhh...let him go. He's wrapping up a Friday quite well

I think its really funny when a liberal results to throwing God in as a possibility.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #337 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
And he's wrong, and so are you. Matter and energy are interchangeable. And it's energy that can only change form (matter being one such form).

Quote:
I didn't bring it up. I'm just the one who responded to yet another false statement made by someone who thinks something he doesn't understand is stupid.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #338 (permalink)

Member # 85483
Quote:
And he's wrong, and so are you. Matter and energy are interchangeable. And it's energy that can only change form (matter being one such form).

I didn't bring it up. I'm just the one who responded to yet another false statement made by someone who thinks something he doesn't understand is stupid.
Pepsi through the nose....you bastard.

I bet you're a hoot at the family reunions at the local trailer park.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #339 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Quote:
Utter nonsense. And even if it did make sense, CO2 is still a greenhouse gas, and as such must trap heat and cause a warming trend. If warmer climate does indeed also cause more CO2, then there's the feed back loop that scientists fear could cause a runaway warming trend.
The fact that you use the term greenhouse gas says everything. You are out of your element.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #340 (permalink)

Member # 28880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
The fact that you use the term greenhouse gas says everything. You are out of your element.
Jesus jones, would you rather he had said infrared absorbing and reflecting gas instead? Greenhouse is a great metaphor and way easier to type.

Also, it's carbon and oxygen, so wouldn't he be out of his elements?

(seewhatididthere)
Old 08-30-2019, 02:22 PM   #341 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
Pepsi through the nose....you bastard.
Pepsi? What are you, a twelve year old girl?
Old 08-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #342 (permalink)

Member # 59753
Quote:
Point taken. We have to make sure we're vetting our sources
That's a joke. They can't even be honest about the sea level.
The marker in NYC is attached to an Island MADE OUT OF GARBAGE, and is sinking.

They do not account for the distance changes related to the atmosphere EXPANDING and contracting with solar activity, this changes the distance between the satellite and the ground or ocean surface.

The whole global warming/MAN MADE climate change is a bullshit lie. The hole in the ozone was not make by hairspray and R-12. It was made by blowing nuclear bombs in a low earth orbit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-a...lear_explosion
Old 08-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #343 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred W. View Post
They do not account for the distance changes related to the atmosphere EXPANDING and contracting with solar activity, this changes the distance between the satellite and the ground or ocean surface.
The atmosphere has an effect on satellite altitudes? You heard it here folks
Old 08-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #344 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Pepsi? What are you, a twelve year old girl?
I wasn't aware that Pepsi is sold only to tweenage girls, and a quick fact check shows that actually the majority of Pepsi is consumed by adults, which is a direct contravention of your statement.

It seems you're about as credible on the matter of who consumes Pepsi as you are on the science of climate change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 03:54 PM   #345 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:

Where is Screwy to back up your delusions.

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #346 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Matter and energy are interchangeable. And it's energy that can only change form (matter being one such form).
WTF are you smoking dude?

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #347 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
If warmer climate does indeed also cause more CO2, then there's the feed back loop that scientists fear could cause a runaway warming trend.
positive or negative?

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 08-30-2019, 06:34 PM   #348 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA 455 View Post
Where is Screwy to back up your delusions.

Screwy would ask him what he was smoking so he could avoid it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #349 (permalink)

Member # 117207
Quote:

What if the media was run by people like you, being manipulated by those with an agenda?
petro812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 07:03 PM   #350 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro812 View Post
What if the media was run by people like you, being manipulated by those with an agenda?
it's not a what if

humans give themselves entirely too much credit in the race to be the first to have it all figured out

[/COLOR]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in