Who died? Land speed record - Page 13 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #301 (permalink)

Member # 726945
Quote:
Originally Posted by KacksterK5 View Post
The video showed some flimsy little round flaps under the car, may have been the parachute tubes but they looked kinda shitty too.
Stock speed brakes were big planks that stuck out behind the wings......
Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #302 (permalink)

Member # 133009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KacksterK5 View Post
Watched her video talking about the almost crash, the "air brakes" or silly little flap looking things looked pretty agricultural. Wonder if the whole thing was done like that.
They could be referring the aircraft's thrust reversers.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:27 AM   #303 (permalink)

Member # 56430
https://www.petersen.org/events/jess...w8obfkR5hFf7tY
Old 09-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #304 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeclimber View Post
I am planning to go Sunday so if anybody else is look for me. I’m the short guy with wheels.

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #305 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
I am planning to go Sunday so if anybody else is look for me. I’m the short guy with wheels.
We were told not to donate money to any place. Now there's "The Jessi Combs Foundation" asking for money? Just seeking clarification.

Last edited by rugger; 09-17-2019 at 01:14 PM.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #306 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
We were told not to donate money to any place. Now there's "The Jessi Combs Foundation" asking for money? Just seeking clarification.
The way I read it was not to donate any money until they had the proper foundation in place. I suppose to make sure others didn't try and get their piece that were not involved directly with Jessi?
Old 09-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #307 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post
The way I read it was not to donate any money until they had the proper foundation in place. I suppose to make sure others didn't try and get their piece that were not involved directly with Jessi?
Okaaaay…….how do I know that this one is proper? Just because it's having an event to honor her?

Old 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #308 (permalink)
BRD

Member # 74465
Given the reputation of the Peterson,I'm willing to bet that everything has been vetted and that it is legit.

Gonna see if I can talk some friends into going out there.I've never been,and I do want to see the place.
BRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #309 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
Okaaaay…….how do I know that this one is proper? Just because it's having an event to honor her?
Wait till Monday... and ask 95YJ if Jessi's boyfriend / LSR crew were there.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #310 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 71393
It is legit. Terry posted it on his Instagram.
Attached Images

bradp674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #311 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradp674 View Post
It is legit. Terry posted it on his Instagram.
cool

Old 09-17-2019, 05:17 PM   #312 (permalink)

Member # 136053
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRD View Post
Given the reputation of the Peterson,I'm willing to bet that everything has been vetted and that it is legit.

Gonna see if I can talk some friends into going out there.I've never been,and I do want to see the place.
Donated $50
Old 09-17-2019, 05:31 PM   #313 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Quote:

It is a cool place. I went there the first time in the mid 90s before the remodel. I go there now on occasion with my mother and she loves the place. Lots of interesting exhibits and the vault is very interesting. If your friends won’t go with you let me know and I will meet you there.

& Blaine

Old 09-18-2019, 12:58 AM   #314 (permalink)
BRD

Member # 74465
Quote:
It is a cool place. I went there the first time in the mid 90s before the remodel. I go there now on occasion with my mother and she loves the place. Lots of interesting exhibits and the vault is very interesting. If your friends won’t go with you let me know and I will meet you there.
John said that he wants to go,we'll figure out what time we're gonna be there when I see him at the races Sat.I'm going to shoot for 11:30-12:00 to get there.

I'll still hang out with ya Frank.I ain't too skeered to let ya meet my friends.
BRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 12:41 PM   #315 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
heading into la Sunday to see the chargers/Texans. planing to hit the Paterson 10 on the dot the head out around 12 to the game.

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #316 (permalink)

Member # 21320
Jesse James made her an incredible urn

Pics on FB

https://www.facebook.com/WestCoast2PACMakavelli/
Old 09-19-2019, 02:03 PM   #317 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCzuk View Post

Pics on FB

Class move.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2019, 07:23 AM   #318 (permalink)

Member # 16333
Send a message via AIM to RedNeckRea Send a message via MSN to RedNeckRea
Quote:
Quote:
John said that he wants to go,we'll figure out what time we're gonna be there when I see him at the races Sat.I'm going to shoot for 11:30-12:00 to get there.

I'll still hang out with ya Frank.I ain't too skeered to let ya meet my friends.
see you both there tomorrow. gonna be good to catch up BRD!
Old 09-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #319 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 104033
Run being submitted to Guinness,

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — Jessi Combs' attempt to set the record for fastest woman on earth will be submitted for a Guinness World Record at 531.889 mph, it was announced Saturday evening during an event held in her honor at the Petersen Automotive Museum. Combs died after her jet car crashed during the record attempt on a dry lake bed in Oregon. She was 39 years old. If certified, it would break the previous record of 512.7 mph set in 1976 by Kitty O'Neil.

Combs did two runs. The first reached 515.346 mph and the second one was 548.432 mph. The average (531.889 mph) will be submitted to Guinness.

The museum is hosting an exhibition "Jessi Combs: Life at Full Speed" Sunday through Wednesday (Sept. 25) that includes some of her motorcycles, helmets, racing medals and memorabilia from her TV career. On Thursday, the creation of the Jessi Combs Foundation was announced to educate, empower and inspire the next generation of female trailblazers and stereotype-breakers.

Combs was one of the most prolific and well-known automotive personalities of the last decade. She co-hosted "The List," which ran on Autoblog from 2011-2017. She also appeared in several TV shows, including "Overhauling" and "All Girls Garage."

Combs had set a four-wheeled record in 2013 in the North American Eagle Supersonic Speed Challenger, reaching 398 mph. She went faster than 483 mph during attempts last year, but they didn't count as records because of mechanical issues.

In announcing her passing, Combs' family said in a statement: "Jessi's most notable dream was to become the fastest woman on Earth, a dream she had been chasing since 2012. Combs was one of the rare dreamers with the bravery to turn those possibilities into reality, and she left this earth driving faster than any other woman in history."

Last edited by Jason4x4; 09-22-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Jason4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 12:19 AM   #320 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCzuk View Post

Pics on FB

no words.

88 ranger ext cab p.o.s. hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 inch tires depending on the mission at hand

how ya like me now??
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #321 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
I went to the Petersen today. It was a wonderful memorial. It was the first display ever to be placed in the Penthouse. I also met Terry. Nice guy, living minute to minute. He has a lot of ideas for her foundation and a lot of things he wants to do for children.

Ran into christyle from pbb.

Some/much of the display will be at Off Road Expo in Pomona.

I took a few pics-
Attached Images

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 09-23-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #322 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
More
Attached Images

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 09-23-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:11 PM   #323 (permalink)
Rolling Mod

Member # 22176
Some more-
Attached Images

& Blaine

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 09-23-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:15 PM   #324 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
More

Kinda sad!!!!
Thanks for sharing !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #325 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 41976
Quote:
Some more-
Thanx for the pics, gonna be there tomorrow a few hours before closing.
paulhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in