Who died? Land speed record - Page 16 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #376 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
Investigation concluded the front Wheel failed and caused the accident.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/jessi-c...-wheel-failure

Can someone cut and paste.

Rip Jesse
not one for paying much attention eh? look up 3 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #377 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceep View Post
not one for paying much attention eh? look up 3 posts.
Lol I guess not.
Thepanzerfuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #378 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
I don't mean to be rude/supportive or any ill content, but how in the world can they determine this short of there being some video footage or communications with Jesse before the wreck? I'm sure there is a lot they aren't sharing for obvious reasons.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #379 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post
I don't mean to be rude/supportive or any ill content, but how in the world can they determine this short of there being some video footage or communications with Jesse before the wreck? I'm sure there is a lot they aren't sharing for obvious reasons.
Firstly you can guarantee that car was full of cameras and probably at least some rudimentary sensors for determining vibrations and strain, as this sort of stuff is now pretty cheap and in land speed you don't need to shave every ounce off the vehicle in hopes of going faster. Secondly if the wheel failed prior to the crash they likely found pieces of it and whatever caused it to fail, as they would not be at the main crash site, and the path of the car is obvious on the dry lake bed. Even small fragments of the wheel would be easy enough to identify as it is likely a very specific aluminum alloy that would not be used in many other locations on the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 10:51 AM   #380 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Firstly you can guarantee that car was full of cameras and probably at least some rudimentary sensors for determining vibrations and strain, as this sort of stuff is now pretty cheap and in land speed you don't need to shave every ounce off the vehicle in hopes of going faster. Secondly if the wheel failed prior to the crash they likely found pieces of it and whatever caused it to fail, as they would not be at the main crash site, and the path of the car is obvious on the dry lake bed. Even small fragments of the wheel would be easy enough to identify as it is likely a very specific aluminum alloy that would not be used in many other locations on the car.
That makes sense.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #381 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Yep, there would be a trail probably 1000' long or longer. The first bits would be whatever came off of the car first. If they found wheel bits at the beginning of the trail of wreckage then that is a likely culprit. I doubt that you would feel much at that speed prior to the vehicle coming apart. You may have time for an "oh crap" and that's about it.

There are very talented people that do failure analysis and engineering forensics. I suspect that they brought one to the site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #382 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post
The same way they can determine the cause from the scattered bits of a plane wreck.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #383 (permalink)

Member # 136053
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
You should have seen him at the Reno finals in 2017. It was announced then that he was in remission and he probably wieghed 140 ~ 150 tops. He's easily put on 30 or so pounds since then and looks and sounds so much better now.
Dave hasnít weighed 140-150 since he was 12. He lost a bit of weight but that is extreme. I on the other hand havenít seen 150 since I was 8.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:27 PM   #384 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan55 View Post
Dave hasnít weighed 140-150 since he was 12. He lost a bit of weight but that is extreme. I on the other hand havenít seen 150 since I was 8.

I thought I was the fat kid when I couldn't ride the Big Wheels because they had a 65lb weight limit and I weighed 100.

Glad Dave is doing better. Nobody should have to experience cancer. Fuck cancer.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2019, 01:35 PM   #385 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert stone View Post
Cause of 550 mph crash that killed 'MythBusters' host Jessi Combs revealed
Whew.

It hasn't changed in the last 2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #386 (permalink)
Team 261 - VP

Member # 31923
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceep View Post
Whew.

It hasn't changed in the last 2 days.
Jessi and Boyd are still not with us.
Ken Hower - KOH #1962 Close Enough Racing/KOH #4899 Legends
Rubicon Trail Foundation - Director 2011-Present

Thanks to
for being the primary sponsor for the 2016 Cantina For The Con!
atvobsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #387 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvobsession View Post
Jessi and Boyd are still not with us.
Holy Crap! Boyd died? When? I was just watching his show last night!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in