If you had to choose between two types of countertop materials... - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #51 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Dude, that looks fantastic!

But as a "production" area, fawk that. I wanna' slap a halfway-cooled (~250 deg.) pan of chops down next to a couple pots I just hand-washed and the ice bath for 18 hard boiled eggs. If you don't use your garage, feel free to lay down a parquet dance floor I know I'm dragging floor jacks across that beesh, so concrete is my huckleberry.

My vote = slap down the prepaid rocks in your kitchen and build a badass dining table from the termite food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 08-30-2019 at 01:39 PM.
ExWrench is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
Iím now thinking about a SS top with a few strategical located welded in wells that would hold semi recessed, removable wooden cutting boards.
This guy gets it ^^^

Throw a nicely dressed hunk of stone in one of those wells and you can offend all 3 camps at once

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:41 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 102813
I was thinking stone backsplash but it wouldnít seal as well as a rolled up SS backsplash.

I like your idea

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 113619
Send a message via Yahoo to stjames151
Not one vote for concrete, GFRC, or avonite? Theyíre all cheap, durable, easy to build, and would look good in his trailer.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Concrete countertops are a lot of work to build and even harder to make look good. And this isnít even getting into the sealing options. Anyone who thinks they are cheap to build donít really know.

The ones I made looked fine I guess but I wonít ever make them again.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 02:52 PM   #56 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Everything looks dated in 10 years.

I want to do a SS top, because then at least it won't be in style or out of style... It will just look commercial. Not sure how hard it is to DIY though.
I like SS also and have a commercial SS sink with a countertop side on one end of it in my basement I use as a utility sink.

It would be easy enough to build for a countertop if you know someone that can cut it out and form it for you. Only issue comes in the 90* turns in the corners that need mitered or however you put the angle in. Weld up the joint is about the only way I know to do it and itíll be wavy there. Not sure how else youíd do corners with flat SS with formed sides.

Everything does go out of style to a degree but, wood never goes out of style as long as itís not painted. You can go into any aged home and see wood flooring or cabinets or staircases and none of it is ever out of style. Other thing is wood goes with wood as well. Sure sometimes it can be overdone depending on what it is no doubt. Iíll be pretty heavy on wood interior when Iím done with my remodeling. Iíll have 3/4Ē oak hardwood flooring down, hickory kitchen cabinets, knotty pine grooved 3/4Ē tongue and grooved boards up on my ceiling, live edge walnut on my basement staircase hand railing with 14g steel wilderness scenery cut out panels fitted in between post for the hand railing. Should turn out ok when finished.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #57 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
Concrete countertops are a lot of work to build and even harder to make look good. And this isnít even getting into the sealing options. Anyone who thinks they are cheap to build donít really know.

The ones I made looked fine I guess but I wonít ever make them again.
Iíve no desire for a garage floor countertop at all. I donít understand the appeal for them but whatever. If goob up above wants one in his mobile home then let him have at it.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:57 PM   #58 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Dude, that looks fantastic!

But as a "production" area, fawk that. I wanna' slap a halfway-cooled (~250 deg.) pan of chops down next to a couple pots I just hand-washed and the ice bath for 18 hard boiled eggs. If you don't use your garage, feel free to lay down a parquet dance floor I know I'm dragging floor jacks across that beesh, so concrete is my huckleberry.

My vote = slap down the prepaid rocks in your kitchen and build a badass dining table from the termite food.
Sounds like you should open up a Resturant and be a chef chief.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Hereís some of the live edge walnut I have for a couple of my future projects

These are for my tv stand and a shelf below for stereo and DVD player

Name:  D1537623-2954-4936-B435-D3E3EB50447E.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  59.0 KB
Old 08-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #60 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
This one will become my new coffee table of sorts.

Name:  9146E582-8295-471B-918A-3FC3D8FB27B2.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  41.3 KB
Old 08-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #61 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Quote:
Sounds like you should open up a Resturant and be a chef chief.
Hey, some of us do more in the kitchen than make coffee, nuke TV dinners, and post FoxNews links

Old 08-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #62 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Hey, some of us do more in the kitchen than make coffee, nuke TV dinners, and post FoxNews links
Hereís my current kitchen

Name:  ABFA6590-096E-47F2-A8A0-92E51329A119.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  61.4 KB
Old 08-30-2019, 03:25 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 860898
Scrape that shit off the ceiling before you do anything else.
Jackie Treehorn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #64 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Scrape that shit off the ceiling before you do anything else.
Iím overlaying knotty pine tongue and groove boards over it. I may give it a shave over with my ice chipper scrapper to knock the titties off but thatís it.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 109710
https://www.foxnews.com/real-estate/...ect-countertop

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/wh...n-your-kitchen
Jeffb_79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 04:01 PM   #66 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 109423
Quote:
If your choices were either using granite stone or live edge hardwood for a kitchen countertop, which one would you go with and why?
I had both at my old house. It was a cottage/ craftsman style so i did butcher block at counters against wall and stone on the large island. Stone hands down around any area that gets wet like a sink. Wood requires constant work which isnt crazy- wipe with mineral spirits once a month.

Basically stone wins for everyday use. If you need the wood look then be prepared for more care- keeping moist with mineral spirits and always wiping down any grease/ water etc...
Go back to riding your Fag Dog Brokeback or whatever the fuck its called.
1990GT50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #67 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990GT50 View Post
I had both at my old house. It was a cottage/ craftsman style so i did butcher block at counters against wall and stone on the large island. Stone hands down around any area that gets wet like a sink. Wood requires constant work which isnt crazy- wipe with mineral spirits once a month.

Basically stone wins for everyday use. If you need the wood look then be prepared for more care- keeping moist with mineral spirits and always wiping down any grease/ water etc...
Mineral spirits or mineral oil?

I've only used the latter on butcher blocks.

Mineral spirits seems a bit gnarly for the kitchen

Old 08-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #68 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990GT50 View Post

Sink area is my biggest concern for the wood route dealing with moisture. Iím using a ln under mount sink no matter what top I go with. Last sink I had in my old kitchen was a cast iron dual bowl (one deep and large) heavy bastard that flanged over the top of the countertop. It was a bitch to keep clean between the faucet area, backsplash and the tall sink flange. Under mount sink Iím looking forward too.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:21 PM   #69 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 109423
Quote:
Mineral spirits or mineral oil?

I've only used the latter on butcher blocks.

Mineral spirits seems a bit gnarly for the kitchen
Your right- mineral oil! The other may not add moisture
Old 08-30-2019, 04:23 PM   #70 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 109423
Quote:
Sink area is my biggest concern for the wood route dealing with moisture. Iím using a ln under mount sink no matter what top I go with. Last sink I had in my old kitchen was a cast iron dual bowl (one deep and large) heavy bastard that flanged over the top of the countertop. It was a bitch to keep clean between the faucet area, backsplash and the tall sink flange. Under mount sink Iím looking forward too.
I wouldnt do it around the sink. Get quartz.... granite is on its way out as far as trends. If you use it around the sink, you will have to oil ever week or two and have to wipe down any water immediately to avoid stains
Old 08-30-2019, 04:34 PM   #71 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 109423
Quote:
I wouldnt do it around the sink. Get quartz.... granite is on its way out as far as trends. If you use it around the sink, you will have to oil ever week or two and have to wipe down any water immediately to avoid stains
Old 08-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 117207
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Live edge countertops are a trendy thing on pinfacespacegram and will look dated in 10 years.
Change my mind.
Tide Pods are anti-bacterial, and if you consume them, so are you.
petro812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #73 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Cut one of those island legs in half and it's just what OP is looking for.
Haha those will get veneer over them in barn wood flavor... not my first choice, but i don't really care

Quote:
What maintenance is there with wood? If using an epoxy coating on it it should be pretty bullet proof for daily use. I see it used in commercial bar countertops with no issues and those get abused.

With an under mount sink just overlay some rubber mats when washing large pots so not to ding the wood or chip the granite top.

As for as heat goes, who sticks something hot on their countertop anyway? Thatís just dumb all ways around, you wouldnít stick a hot pan or pot on your wooden kitchen table either.

I know granite needs maintenance also, has to be sealed every so often.
I guess if you go epoxy you'll be ok for a while. If you rarely use it then i see no issue. My wife wanted a butcher block on the island. That would've been a mistake. It would've required monthly oiling and also voids the warranty on the custom cabinets. It actually cost more than the granite slab too, so no go for us.
They told us we likely don't need to do anything for 10-15 years if even ever. My wife cooks a ton, so for us this was the best bet.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:07 PM   #74 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
And they probably oil it weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That looks like a greasy spoon, constant lube job in progress.
No shit; I love a wood surface area for cutting and prep; but granite rules for easy cleanup and looks. But I also wouldn't mind quartz for its affordability and looks.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:45 AM   #75 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 95939
Artificial stone like Sile Stone. All the pluses and none of the negatives.

As the slaughter of WW2 fades, the young gear up for something they will wish they had not wished for.

Quote:
I hope the little stickie out leg on the R gives you a rectal tear as you shove it up your ass.
DR. SMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in