Pancreatic cancer chemo - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2019, 03:04 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
I feel like during my lifetime, we will look back at using chemo and compare it to leaches and bloodletting.
Chemo in many situations is nowhere as bad as it used to be..Ask me how I know this..But in some treatments it's probably very brutal...Often time the only other option is sure death...
The OP's dad is in a bad place..No one can know what they will do until you actually face death...But if it were me...I would saty drugged up as possbile and let it just happen...
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Iím not saying that chemo doesnít have itís place right now in time.

What I believe is that inside my lifetime a new way to deal with cancer will be developed and make chemo look barbaric.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stubs View Post
Iím not saying that chemo doesnít have itís place right now in time.

What I believe is that inside my lifetime a new way to deal with cancer will be developed and make chemo look barbaric.
Bloodletting was based off conjecture and superstition whereas chemo regimens are proven through rigorous clinical trials. There is a bit of difference there. Yes, chemo is tough on the body, but when the alternative is death and chemo is shown to increase the mean survival time in the clinical trial you as the patient have to weigh what is most important to you.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 66264
lost the wife to pancreatic cancer in 2010...Stanford did a radiation treatment and some chemo..told her to go home and put her affairs in order,,couldn't do much..hope treatments have got better in 9 years.
Ken 83 CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
That's the option my friend took. Him and his wife went on some "bucket list trips" in their motor home and visited family.
This is not an option right now. He is too weak. He did travel extensively in the last thirty years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RgdL View Post
I know three people that got pancreatic cancer. All three died within a very short time after being diagnosed. Sad situation for anyone who gets it apparently.

OP - is/was your father a smoker? All three people I know who got it were heavy smokers and I'm curious if that's a contributing factor.
He was heavy smoker 60 years ago when he quit. Can't hardly believe that made a differnce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptj19992001 View Post
no not pancreatic, was to kill the cancer that took out my kidneys. i am in remission they say. been off chemo 6 weeks
Thanks and Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPostal View Post
My wife has currently completed 2 out of 6 chemo treatments, for breast cancer. She then faces 4 weeks (5 days a week) of radiation treatment after that.

Her type cancer has aggressive, and did not appear on her mammogram 4 months earlier. She found the lump herself. FORTUNATELY, the cancer was removed, did not spread to the lymph nodes.

Without chemo, she has a 58% of her cancer coming back. With chemo, she has 14% of it coming back.

Next week on 9/11, will be our 42nd anniversary. It's breaking my heart seeing what she is going through right now. There are times we both just hold each other and cry. But we both agree that by her doing the chemo, our chances of more years together will make it worth it.

Until something better comes along and chemo / radiation treatment is all there is; then sometimes you just have to hang your hopes on what's available.
Obviously, your circumstances are worse than mine. It all sucks. My dad has had a good long life, but it still sucks.

Anyways, he went to the chemo doctor today and they said he was too weak to go on the chemo. I just came back from down there a couple days ago and I'm going back down Tomorrow. Aparently he is having terrible nights even with the oxy.

Thanks to all that commented.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
Bloodletting was based off conjecture and superstition whereas chemo regimens are proven through rigorous clinical trials. There is a bit of difference there. Yes, chemo is tough on the body, but when the alternative is death and chemo is shown to increase the mean survival time in the clinical trial you as the patient have to weigh what is most important to you.
I knew I shouldnít have said anything

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
Mall Rated

Member # 19093
Send a message via AIM to RedX
Best thoughts to your father.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post

Anyways, he went to the chemo doctor today and they said he was too weak to go on the chemo. I just came back from down there a couple days ago and I'm going back down Tomorrow. Aparently he is having terrible nights even with the oxy.

Thanks to all that commented.
I don't know what timeframe they deal with but start looking into hospice, they really are wonderful people doing great work (even if my mom is convinced they killed my dad )

Best wishes to you and your dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
I don't know what timeframe they deal with but start looking into hospice, they really are wonderful people doing great work (even if my mom is convinced they killed my dad )

Best wishes to you and your dad
Definitely this. They are dedicated to keeping your dad comfortable and offering support for the family.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:34 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 29527
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbagwell View Post
He would never consider physician assisted suicide, it is legal here in Oregon.
This is the route (legal in WA now) that my wife was going to go, but she never made it out of the hospital. It is the route I will go, too, if I get terminally ill with some warning.

I've been nearly dead and wanting nothing more than to drift off and never come back. When you're in pain and despair, death sounds amazing. If it's legal in Florida, I would recommend looking into it.
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85264
Send a message via AIM to LeadfootCJ7
First off, I am sorry your Dad has received this diagnosis. I hate cancer. It has affected too many people I know and love. It has taken several, but not all.

I am in charge of my cousins estate who passed away from this very thing (Pancreatic Cancer). Kelsey Seybold missed his cancer for 9 months or a little longer. By the time it was found by another hospital it was quite advanced like your dad. He was given similar prognosis and told he had a year or 18 months to live regardless of treatment or not. He skipped treatment and was planning to live up his time left. He lasted about 3 months and only about 2 weeks of that weren't pure misery because it was spreading with no treatment. I won't go into details, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I think some chemo to help keep it from spreading unchecked would be a good thing. I know several people who have been able to get on immunotherapy trials which is a newer type of chemo with much lesser side effects. One of my great uncles was supposed to be dead in 6 months. He got 3+ years and a great quality of life due to immunotherapy. Another person (friend of the family) was supposed to be dead quickly. He is now cancer free (or so we're told) and back to living his life thanks to immunotherapy. I am not saying your dad will be cured, but I think he would be wise to consider some treatment and ask about immunotherapy and other trials that have lesser side effects to improve the quality of time he has left.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:02 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 109702
Sending prayers for your dad. My buddy's dad passed from that when he was 16.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:21 PM   #38 (permalink)
Addicted to Gear Oil

Member # 56050
Sorry man. My aunt passed away from pancreatic cancer about 10 years ago. Docs gave her 6 months to live, she stayed on for about 18 months with top care from Sloan-Kettering. Not sure how much of that was living.

Spend time with him, he will be gone soon.
Originally Posted by General Dwight D. Eisenhower
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
guidolyons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Lost boss from that shit. Fuck cancer. Sorry for your pops. I don't think the Chemo will help the pain. That shit is miserable from what I hear. I'd take the pain pump personally.
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 154867
I'm sorry for your dad, waterhorse.
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 10:06 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 101387
Today is the 3 year anniversary of my last chemo treatment for T3N1 pancreatic cancer (stage IIB).

I’m extraordinarily lucky in that I presented very early with a gnarly case of jaundice. 3 days after diagnosis they put in a stent to halt the jaundice, 9 days after diagnosis I was in surgery at UCLA for the Whipple procedure (pancreaticoduodenectomy).

When I was diagnosed they didn’t know or care if I had cancer, all they knew and cared about was removing the tumor on my pancreas, they did the biopsy while I was on the table for the whipple. 1 out of 45 lymph nodes tested came back positive for cancer.

7 months of chemo and radiation later CoH @ Duarte declared me cancer free.

My take on chemo is don’t do it if you’re terminal…go live however well you can live for as long as you can live.
Chemotherapy and radiation was very difficult and painful...and fucking complicated, it went on and on and 7 months was a long ass tough time.
Chemotherapy is poison, radiation is poison and when I was undergoing it, I felt like I was being poisoned.

Last edited by furbishv; 09-06-2019 at 01:05 PM.
furbishv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 01:02 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 3000
Pancreatic cancer took my grandmother. It went quickly and she was in a lot of pain at the end.

Spend as much time as you can with him. Hopefully he can find some respite from the pain and some peace.

Hospice is for end of life care, they aren't there to heal you, they are there to provide comfort while you and dying. It's hard to watch them go through.

Wish you all the best.
Aron82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2019, 05:12 PM   #43 (permalink)
2JZ

Member # 684802
My 70 yr old Dad was diagnosed with stage 2 about 5 months ago. Found a golf ball sized tumor on the pancreas on a routine scan. He did 4 rounds of chemo then had the Whipple surgery. Apparently only 5% of patients even qualify for it. Pretty radical surgery that removes the pancreas, gall bladder, part of the stomach and intestines. After the surgery he's doing more chemo. Yesterday was #14 of 16. Then his doc is recommending radiation as well. He had a scan 2 weeks ago and cant find a trace of the cancer.

From what I know chemo will do absolutely nothing for the pain.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #44 (permalink)
2JZ

Member # 684802
Quote:
Originally Posted by furbishv View Post
Today is the 3 year anniversary of my last chemo treatment for T3N1 pancreatic cancer (stage IIB).

Iím extraordinarily lucky in that I presented very early with a gnarly case of jaundice. 3 days after diagnosis they put in a stent to halt the jaundice, 9 days after diagnosis I was in surgery at UCLA for the Whipple procedure (pancreaticoduodenectomy).

When I was diagnosed they didnít know or care if I had cancer, all they knew and cared about was removing the tumor on my pancreas, they did the biopsy while I was on the table for the whipple. 1 out of 45 lymph nodes tested came back positive for cancer.

7 months of chemo and radiation later CoH @ Duarte declared me cancer free.

My take on chemo is donít do it if youíre terminalÖgo live however well you can live for as long as you can live.
Chemotherapy and radiation was very difficult and painful...and fucking complicated, it went on and on and 7 months was a long ass tough time.
Chemotherapy is poison, radiation is poison and when I was undergoing it, I felt like I was being poisoned.
Good for you man. Sounds like you've beat it. See my post above^^. My Dad just had the Whipple. The chemo has been rough but his spirits are high and they say he's cancer free at this point.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:24 PM   #45 (permalink)
2JZ

Member # 684802
My Mom is a caregiver. One of her patients got mouth cancer 6 months ago. She opted for chemo and radiation. The radiation killed her. Because they focus it where the cancer is, they basically burned her face off. She wanted to quit part way through but the docs said if she stopped the radiation she may have well never even started. So she kept going, and they continued to blast her face. Eventually she couldn't eat. My mom took her to the ER and she never got to leave there.

If she wouldn't have done any treatment she had a 1-2 year life expectancy. With treatment she was dead in 6 months.

If I get cancer I'm not sure I want to got through all that. I will probably just let it takes it course. But then again when faced with death, who knows.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 232642
I was diagnosed with stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer that spread to my Liver, Bones, and some lymph nodes in April of 2015. I was 46 then. We fought it with every treatment available. Surgeries, Chemo, Embolizations, Chemo, Chemo, and then a little LU22 isotope right into my bloodstream.
I still have all of the same list of cancers, but they have all been put to sleep.
I just want to say, Pancreatic Cancer is the second most guaranteed killer besides Glioblastoma brain cancer. But, it is survivable.
The radiation for pain they are offering is pointed radiation at the nerve cluster feeding the pain receptors in you abdomen. It is relatively easy compared to the actual chemo treatments and it will work like a nerve block for a period of time. I would recommend it for him.
Ranginute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC11 View Post
Morphine ? that shit is no joke.
It doesn't actually get rid of the pain it just makes you not care that you hurt. At least for me that how it works.

Fuck the chemo, manage the pain and have a better quality of time while you're still here.
Sorry about your pops man.
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmup View Post
It doesn't actually get rid of the pain it just makes you not care that you hurt. At least for me that how it works.

Fuck the chemo, manage the pain and have a better quality of time while you're still here.
Sorry about your pops man.
I got a dose of Oxycoitin at the hosptial last week after a minor surgery It numbed the pain but made me nauseous within an hour. Same for Vicodin..I suspect morphine might be the same for me...
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 232642
Fentynal patches are without any doubt the best for pain there is. I have had Morphine, OxyContin, Oxycodone, and many others I cannot remember.
Morphine especially doesn’t work. Like others have said, it will make you too stoned to care, but you are living inside of a pain bubble that you still feel, but cannot remember four hours later.
THC works very well for me in liquid form for pain control also.
Ranginute is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #50 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133544
Lost my best man to this shit last year, 14 months from diagnosis till the end.

First round of chem was "successful". came back, more chemo and surgery. after the surgery the gut pain was so bad he had trouble eating, they put a nutrition patch thing on his arm, pain killers. It was explained to me that the nutrion patch has a lot of sucrose in it and that c thrives on sugar. It came back with strong,His life came down to managing his buzz. Eventually he had a fentynal (sp) patch on one arm and the nutrition thingus on the other arm. He found comfort in music and spent most of the end listening.
Hospice came in and gave him morphine and something else, they explained that if he took to much before he went to bed he would stop breathing in his sleep. He was able to make the decision.
Crisbee1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in