Afghanistan - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

View Poll Results: Stay or go?
Stay 10 9.52%
Go 95 90.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #101 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsgr View Post
- Handing a visa, passport, plane tickets and cash to Afghan military to come to training in the States and watching them promise not to go AWOL (17% in my time).
i think this is the most fun and the big news that Trump cancelled a Cap David meeting with taliban

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Your section of 285 has the largest amount of uphill racer downhill jam on the brake morons I've ever had the displeasure of driving around. Thankfully I don't drive down there more than a couple times a month on average.
I'm on the I-70 side, but that clusterfuck you're talking about is directly due to the Morrison Police department. They use their small sections of 285 and C470 to fund the operation of their town. Literally over half of the town's revenue comes from traffic citations.

Last edited by east_beast; 09-11-2019 at 08:25 PM.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 08:29 PM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 166653
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
so, the drug war is akin to tug of war?

is chess like the card game war?

what will your next analogy be... that a staring contest would work? a game of 'got your nose?'

NOTHING has worked that has been attempted in Afghanistan. Not for a thousand years.

If it has been tried, don't mention it, it doesn't matter.
Is there a thought or idea in there somewhere? Kinda sounds like drunk rambling. And the last thing you said is don't mention ideas that have been tried; I only thru out stuff that has not been tried and has the potential of working. But several of you are shutting it down as extreme. So here is something extreme that has been tried and did work. WWII we were going to invade Japan to end the war. But an invasion would have cost many American lives. So we nuked a couple of their cities instead and they surrendered. Unfortunately after that war Americans have forgotten how to win a war. We never fought a war in Afghanistan; We went in with a small force and made surgical strikes on a few targets. Then the troops had to run around putting out hot spots. War is when the enemy can't see the sun for days because of all the bombers in the sky. War is when the civilians see tanks rolling down main street for hours. War is when cities look like a tornado has set down in the capital because of all the destruction. Wars are won by killing people and breaking things until the enemy has lost their will to fight. There is no war on terror, only a toe in the water to check the temperature of the American people. So now we are here on 9/11 once again with Muslims in Congress and a nation that has forgotten that we were attacked. Instead of focusing your hate on me and my comments, how about focusing on the spineless politicians, and the brain dead people who elected them.
4seasons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2019, 10:46 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 193971
Itís called COIN operations, it takes a long time.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:23 AM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 60349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
i think this is the most fun and the big news that Trump cancelled a Cap David meeting with taliban
Yeah, but the difference is that the guys who went AWOL from the ANA are not very likely to end up as terrorists. Most just recognize what a shit hole their country is and that there is a target on their back when they return. We used to get texts from the guys who made it to Canada with "I'm so sorry! I hope you don't get in trouble."

There was a story about two pilots in country that were gunned down at a bus stop in Kabul. I knew those guys - genuinely wanted to make their country better. They had been to the States multiple times for training and were legit patriots.

I don't think it's going to get better. At this point, I think we are just attempting to stack the deck for the "less corrupt" in power over there. Once the coalition leaves, there will be a civil war. It will be ugly; women and children will suffer and all the "violence is never the answer" folks will come out of the woodwork to say "do something." The bottom line is that you can only help those who want help.

The only lucrative natural resources Afghanistan has (aside from poppies) are minerals. It is cost prohibitive to export them due to the turmoil in that region. It will continue to be a shit hole unless they figure out what they can contribute to the world. Side note: they used to be fairly "modern" around the 1960s. Kabul was a vacation destination for Europeans. It was bankrolled by outside nations though (Soviets especially). Then the Taliban took over, women went back into veils and overall it stepped back a few centuries.
ndsgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #106 (permalink)

Member # 16468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsgr View Post
Side note: they used to be fairly "modern" around the 1960s. Kabul was a vacation destination for Europeans. It was bankrolled by outside nations though (Soviets especially). Then the Taliban took over, women went back into veils and overall it stepped back a few centuries.
My understanding is that Afghanistan used to be a very popular destination for westerners and later for hippies in the 1960s, very safe and welcoming. The Soviets helped install a Marxist regime in the late seventies and then invaded shortly after, starting the turmoil that lasts to this day.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #107 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4seasons View Post
...But several of you are shutting it down as extreme....
Instead of focusing your hate on me and my comments, how about focusing on the spineless politicians, and the brain dead people who elected them.

Well if I was King for a day the problem would no longer exist either.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
My understanding is that Afghanistan used to be a very popular destination for westerners and later for hippies in the 1960s, very safe and welcoming. The Soviets helped install a Marxist regime in the late seventies and then invaded shortly after, starting the turmoil that lasts to this day.
Historically, Iran and North Africa were as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Is there a thought or idea in there somewhere? Kinda sounds like drunk rambling. And the last thing you said is don't mention ideas that have been tried; I only thru out stuff that has not been tried and has the potential of working. But several of you are shutting it down as extreme. So here is something extreme that has been tried and did work. WWII we were going to invade Japan to end the war. But an invasion would have cost many American lives. So we nuked a couple of their cities instead and they surrendered. Unfortunately after that war Americans have forgotten how to win a war. We never fought a war in Afghanistan; We went in with a small force and made surgical strikes on a few targets. Then the troops had to run around putting out hot spots. War is when the enemy can't see the sun for days because of all the bombers in the sky. War is when the civilians see tanks rolling down main street for hours. War is when cities look like a tornado has set down in the capital because of all the destruction. Wars are won by killing people and breaking things until the enemy has lost their will to fight. There is no war on terror, only a toe in the water to check the temperature of the American people. So now we are here on 9/11 once again with Muslims in Congress and a nation that has forgotten that we were attacked. Instead of focusing your hate on me and my comments, how about focusing on the spineless politicians, and the brain dead people who elected them.
Is there a thought or idea in there somewhere? Kinda looks like drunk wall of text.

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Have a buddy headed there next month....it's a waste of time, people, money, and souls.....get out, let them destroy themselves...if they attack us or any other UN partner, nuke them....
Old 09-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #111 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Is there a thought or idea in there somewhere? Kinda sounds like drunk rambling. And the last thing you said is don't mention ideas that have been tried;

Only thru out stuff that has not been tried and has the potential of working. But several of you are shutting it down as extreme.

So here is something extreme that has been tried and did work. WWII we were going to invade Japan to end the war. But an invasion would have cost many American lives. So we nuked a couple of their cities instead and they surrendered.

Unfortunately after that war Americans have forgotten how to win a war. We never fought a war in Afghanistan; We went in with a small force and made surgical strikes on a few targets. Then the troops had to run around putting out hot spots.

War is when the enemy can't see the sun for days because of all the bombers in the sky. War is when the civilians see tanks rolling down main street for hours. War is when cities look like a tornado has set down in the capital because of all the destruction. Wars are won by killing people and breaking things until the enemy has lost their will to fight.

There is no war on terror, only a toe in the water to check the temperature of the American people. So now we are here on 9/11 once again with Muslims in Congress and a nation that has forgotten that we were attacked.

Instead of focusing your hate on me and my comments, how about focusing on the spineless politicians, and the brain dead people who elected them.
Japan wan't a tribal people.

I say sure, bomb them, It would make me feel much better, but when I apply some logic instead of emotion, where the fuck do I bomb? Because these are clans of people living in villages.

Terrorist fighters don't have a structure required to achieve a surrender you want.

Who surrenders in a terrorist war?

All you can do is kill them, FOREVER, or go home and let them continue there tribal beefs among themselves and deal with strategic "targets".

But troops on the ground is not the answer and we need to go home.

Once you bomb Kabul, you are back to dragging people out of caves, and that doesn't seem to work to well.

1 Kabul 2,970,713
2 Herat 673,425
3 Mazar-i-Sharif 582,113
4 Kandahar 464,265
5 Jalalabad 296,895

Do we need to drop some nukes? I may be able to be convinced.

Even then will we "win"? what does that mean?

Should our goal have been one of retribution / vengeance? YES.

WAS that our goal? I don't know, it sure seems like we got into some "Domino Theory" "Nation Building" Bull shit to me.

Would nuke achieve a goal of retribution? Seems like it.

Should that bomb originally been dropped on Afghanistan? Probably not.

We SHOULD HAVE FOCUSED OUR RETRIBUTION ON SAUDI ARABIA on September 12th.

But alas, here we are.

Last edited by Grumpy356; 09-12-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Grumpy356 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 71528
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
You'd be surprised.

But yes, the synthetics are the big thing now. Honestly I don't get why the government isn't just making them and handing them out. They could kill off all the junkies, put the cartels out of business, and lower the country's carbon footprint for a fraction of what is ineffectively spent in a futile effort to do the same thing.
Agree, DARWIN is the bomb.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:12 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 166653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post
Japan wan't a tribal people.

I say sure, bomb them, It would make me feel much better, but when I apply some logic instead of emotion, where the fuck do I bomb? Because these are clans of people living in villages.

Terrorist fighters don't have a structure required to achieve a surrender you want.

Who surrenders in a terrorist war?

All you can do is kill them, FOREVER, or go home and let them continue there tribal beefs among themselves and deal with strategic "targets".

But troops on the ground is not the answer and we need to go home.

Once you bomb Kabul, you are back to dragging people out of caves, and that doesn't seem to work to well.

1 Kabul 2,970,713
2 Herat 673,425
3 Mazar-i-Sharif 582,113
4 Kandahar 464,265
5 Jalalabad 296,895

Do we need to drop some nukes? I may be able to be convinced.

Even then will we "win"? what does that mean?

Should our goal have been one of retribution / vengeance? YES.

WAS that out goal? I don't know, it sure seems like we got into some "Domino Theory" "Nation Building" Bull shit to me.

Would nuke achieve a goal of retribution? Seems like it.

Should that bomb originally been dropped on Afghanistan? Probably not.

We SHOULD HAVE FOCUSED OUR RETRIBUTION ON SAUDI ARABIA on September 12th.

But alas, here we are.
YES! Somebody gets it.
There are no good solutions, but there are solutions.
One thing is for sure. The band aid that we are doing over there now is just wasting our soldiers lives and our money.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:19 AM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
YES! Somebody gets it.
There are no good solutions, but there are solutions.
One thing is for sure. The band aid that we are doing over there now is just wasting our soldiers lives and our money.
AND YOU'RE ONE BIG FUCKING IDIOT for not even having a clue why you're correct.
Tigerchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 31971
Afghanistan is where empires go to die.
I am offended by people taking offense. Not saying you shouldn't be offended, just saying that it causes me offense when others get offended by the offensive. Please respect my rights to be offended by your offense.
Roverhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 166653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchief View Post
AND YOU'RE ONE BIG FUCKING IDIOT for not even having a clue why you're correct.
Wait, you said that I am correct and an idiot in the same sentence? Maybe you should release your hate, and calm down before you type. Then we can have a civilized conversation about solutions.

Now consider this: most of you are attacking me and calling me names without addressing the topic, or the comments I made. This is a left wing strategy of character assassination because they can't win in the arena of ideas. Perhaps if you want to prove me wrong, pick apart my comments and we can discuss them, or post your own ideas that you think are better than mine.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:38 AM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 166653
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullcruiser View Post
Itís called COIN operations, it takes a long time.
Forgive me, but I am not military. Is COIN an acronym for something, or is just another way of saying money pit?
Old 09-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
Wait, you said that I am correct and an idiot in the same sentence? Maybe you should release your hate, and calm down before you type. Then we can have a civilized conversation about solutions.

Now consider this: most of you are attacking me and calling me names without addressing the topic, or the comments I made. This is a left wing strategy of character assassination because they can't win in the arena of ideas. Perhaps if you want to prove me wrong, pick apart my comments and we can discuss them, or post your own ideas that you think are better than mine.

Maybe we can put down your training talking points, unfuck your thoughts, and then maybe you'll see how everyone else sees you as a fucking sucker.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #119 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
Pretty much it.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #120 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
Pretty much it.
Lol. No.

For fuck's sake,

Ahh, nevermind.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #121 (permalink)

Member # 98578
Quote:
Forgive me, but I am not military. Is COIN an acronym for something, or is just another way of saying money pit?
Counter Insurgency operations. And to the latter, yes.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:46 AM   #122 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:

what a dumb fuck douchebag.

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 12:11 PM   #123 (permalink)

Member # 193971
Quote:
Counter insurgency operations.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #124 (permalink)

Member # 3370
Wall it all off and don't let anyone in or out... Let them sort their shit out. Then deal with the winner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in