Drones gone wild - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #26 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 49159
Model rocketry is gonna make a big comeback
Old 09-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 146185
Might just be a realtor taking photos of a property in your neighborhood.

If not, Just give it time. They'll move on to something else when they grow tired of the same sights over and over. Max battery life is only about 20minutes a flight and each $90 battery is only good for a year or so if well cared for. And I've yet to own one of these for more than a year before it starts to fall apart, or malfunction.

In my experience most people who fly drones in their neighborhood within earshot and eyesight of their neighbors just need the attention. Don't give it to them and they'll quickly grow bored.
ATCRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Have a pressure washer ready and hose that fucker down. When cops show up say you were getting ready to wash your house and never noticed the drone.
Get in to falconry and let nature handle the problem for you?
Raise pigeons and flare them when the drone is in the area. Then sue drone operator for livestock damage?

Come on think man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #29 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
This is all you need. Has many uses. If you were closer I would let you borrow mine.

https://www.airgundepot.com/diana-rw...fle-combo.html
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 760185
This is the route I would go. Seems like the most fun. Or could go bottle rockets if your into the single shot marksman kinda thing.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Last edited by ddonohue15; 09-10-2019 at 08:36 AM.
ddonohue15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddylee82 View Post
The remote pilot in command is supposed to maintain line of sight, so you "should" be able to find them.

Municipal airport's air space is likely pretty small. You can look up the sectional charts online at VFRMap.com. If the the airport's airspace circle is a dashed line, that means it goes all the way to the ground. If the drone is flying inside the circle, the airport and FAA would want to know about it.

Otherwise, as long as the drone is registered, is supposed to be if it's over 0.55 lbs, the remote pilot in command has line of sight, and they're flying under 400' AGL, they're likely not doing anything illegal.

Could still be worth having an adult conversation, asking them not to bug you and the misses flying overhead.
this.

shoot it down and you will be fined if the PIC is following all the other rules.

the airspace isn't yours above your property.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:02 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 548137
best defense for OP is get FAA involved, even if they weren't in violation. this is a major hot spot in general aviation, however the rules aren't very clear.

as stated above, they can't fly above 400' or in controlled airspace. allege they did and they're talking to someone.

or throw beer bottles at them! looks like fun.
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
best defense for OP is get FAA involved, even if they weren't in violation. this is a major hot spot in general aviation, however the rules aren't very clear.

as stated above, they can't fly above 400' or in controlled airspace. allege they did and they're talking to someone.

talking to who?

without a number from the aircraft the FAA doesn't have a fucking clue who was piloting it.

and unless it interferes with manned aviation, they aren't going to do shit about it anyway.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 12557
Send a message via AIM to CaseyP Send a message via Yahoo to CaseyP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
this.

shoot it down and you will be fined if the PIC is following all the other rules.

the airspace isn't yours above your property.
under a certain altitude it is IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]
[/COLOR]
[QUOTE=ndeepoffroad;12310146]A well rounded wheeler will be prepared to prepare a delicious meal after a day of quality wheeling. Shit man errbudy know dat. :shaking:[/QUOTE]
CaseyP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Quote:
talking to who?

without a number from the aircraft the FAA doesn't have a fucking clue who was piloting it.

and unless it interferes with manned aviation, they aren't going to do shit about it anyway.
OP said was definitely in controlled airspace. There's been enough near collisions that FAA is watching drone pilots closely.

First thing they would do is advise all aviation pilots to keep an eye out for the drone. next, identify where its landing. third, FAA knocks on their door. pretty simple
Old 09-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 559906
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
In Indiana, it used to be 30 feet up and 30 feet down if you still owned your mineral rights. things may have changed.
eraser5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #37 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Send a message via AIM to dethmachinefab
I'd view it as a challenge and build a superior aircraft to engage it dogfight style.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
it is not, and it is a federal crime to down a UAS. the FAA claims everything that is available for safe flight as public domain, now that UAS are treated as aircraft, with licensing and pilots qualifications and all that jazz, now any level a UAS may safely navigate down to is the national airspace.

see why all of this is so very fucked? FAA decided that they wanted to treat them the same as aircraft to get all their licensing shit done easily, and the side effect of that is they are now protected just the same under federal law as a manned aircraft.

Quote:
OP said was definitely in controlled airspace. There's been enough near collisions that FAA is watching drone pilots closely.

First thing they would do is advise all aviation pilots to keep an eye out for the drone. next, identify where its landing. third, FAA knocks on their door. pretty simple
OP doesn't know the operator had notified the airport in the vicinity.
or if it's a part 107 pilot, or any number of other factors.

but I will still contest that unless you caused a manned aircraft to have to avoid it, faa isn't going to do shit.

unless you used it commercially and posted your video to youtube, that's low hanging fruit and they'll fine the shit out of you.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #39 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Get yourself an eagle.

https://youtu.be/tKNN49idCUo?t=108

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.

Last edited by Roc Doc; 09-10-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Quote:
OP doesn't know the operator had notified the airport in the vicinity.
or if it's a part 107 pilot, or any number of other factors.

but I will still contest that unless you caused a manned aircraft to have to avoid it, faa isn't going to do shit.

unless you used it commercially and posted your video to youtube, that's low hanging fruit and they'll fine the shit out of you.
Not knowing the details would not cause me to sit silently and have my privacy invaded upon. to each their own.

A simple call to the FBO manager would clear up a lot of this. and would already be done were it my privacy.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #41 (permalink)
Circus Ring ******

Member # 867108
Called the airport manager, she took a report, all the pertinent information. She also said that anything within 5 miles of the airport boundary has to report to the airport and let them know that they are flying. Past that life has returned to normal.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:44 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 548137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba the Red View Post
Called the airport manager, she took a report, all the pertinent information. She also said that anything within 5 miles of the airport boundary has to report to the airport and let them know that they are flying. Past that life has returned to normal.
May take more than one call to see any action, but at least they're aware.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #43 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 54666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba the Red View Post
Unless y'all have some local ordinances or state law, I believe that 5 mile statement is bologna. I got my Part 107 in July, and that wasn't on any of the study material.

They would want to know if someone's flying in their airspace without permission though. Good job letting them know.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #44 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
The remote pilot in command is supposed to maintain line of sight, so you "should" be able to find them.

Municipal airport's air space is likely pretty small. You can look up the sectional charts online at VFRMap.com. If the the airport's airspace circle is a dashed line, that means it goes all the way to the ground. If the drone is flying inside the circle, the airport and FAA would want to know about it.

Otherwise, as long as the drone is registered, is supposed to be if it's over 0.55 lbs, the remote pilot in command has line of sight, and they're flying under 400' AGL, they're likely not doing anything illegal.

Could still be worth having an adult conversation, asking them not to bug you and the misses flying overhead.
Wrong map. The laanc maps are the only ones that matter for the subject at hand.
https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...06ebf6a06754ad

Without knowing what facility OP lives near, we really don't know if it's relevant. Or if that facility is even part of laanc yet. And if they aren't, the pilot still could have been ok under 107. Or if he was flying as a hobbyist, still could have notified them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v30crewcab View Post
whats the legalities of shooting it down over your property? I"m sure theres a law against it somewhere, but if you're flying over my property videoing you are trespassing.
Completely illegal. UAS are considered aircraft under FAA rules.

Quote:

Weird, I flew in class C controlled airspace today. Why didn't anyone tell me?

Quote:
Unless y'all have some local ordinances or state law, I believe that 5 mile statement is bologna. I got my Part 107 in July, and that wasn't on any of the study material.

They would want to know if someone's flying in their airspace without permission though. Good job letting them know.
The old FAA/AMA standard rules were 5 miles for hobbyists. Even then you could fly there if you notified them. It was the commercial pilots that were more restricted.

Last edited by bgaidan; 09-10-2019 at 02:40 PM.
bgaidan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 98535
Quote:

5 miles is typical for class D and others, but its not on the test because not all are the same. You're supposed to look each airspace up that you fly in or near.
dentedsub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 85205
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedsub View Post
You're supposed to look each airspace up that you fly in or near.
BINGO you have to know the laws where you are flying.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #47 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Quote:
it is not, and it is a federal crime to down a UAS. the FAA claims everything that is available for safe flight as public domain, now that UAS are treated as aircraft, with licensing and pilots qualifications and all that jazz, now any level a UAS may safely navigate down to is the national airspace.

see why all of this is so very fucked? FAA decided that they wanted to treat them the same as aircraft to get all their licensing shit done easily, and the side effect of that is they are now protected just the same under federal law as a manned aircraft.

Wow. So a drone operator can fly it around, say, between 6" and 6' off the lawn in your backyard? That is well within the personal injury zone. I wonder what happens when castle doctrine or stand your ground intersects with the FAA regs.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 08:50 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Next time you hear it flying around, take a stroll or a drive around your neighborhood, see if you can find out where it lands. It'll land where the person is controlling it, most likely. They do have a limited range, and a limited operation time on the battery, so if it's in the air, it won't be in the air for longer than like 15 minutes or whatever.

I don't fly drones or have any interest in them, but some folks at work do, mostly the small fast racing type flying at race events, not in neighborhoods.

I don't really care for drones, I think there should be tighter restrictions on flying a camera over someones private residence, or at least looser restrictions on shooting them down

Most drone operators I know are very aware of the fact that a lot of people don't like them. And most folks flying are pretty respectful while flying drones. It can be a fun hobby, from what I see. But just like wheeling, there's always a few assholes that ruin it by doing dumb shit. You might have found one.

Last edited by danielbuck; 09-10-2019 at 08:51 PM.
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #49 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
Any thoughts to what a vortex cannon would do to one of these things?

total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #50 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 183106
I gotta wonder about taking the transmitter from an old microwave oven and adapt it to an old small parabolic direct TV dish mounted on a handle or directional device of sorts. Create a somewhat focused microwave beam to maybe cripple the signal of said drone. If nothing else, maybe overheat some critical components.

If a contraption like this won't bring down a drone, it might well cook a wasp or hornet nest. Or other mischievous doings I can think of..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in