teach a goober about nboom lift extension cylinders or Lucas hydraulic stopleak - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 684914
teach a goober about nboom lift extension cylinders or Lucas hydraulic stopleak

So today's culprit is a 90's(?) Snorkelift tb60 boom lift. For the last few years the telescoping/extension cylinder has been dripping slowly but it's been getting worse and coming up on unusable. Information is just about unavailable on these things so has anyone ever pulled the cylinder to rebuild it? The one video I've found shows them pulling the whole boom which doesn't sound fun. Any knowledge or experiences would be very appreciated.

If it is going to be a real pain in the ass has anyone used the Lucas hydraulic stopleak? My machine has a 30 gallon tank so if I can get this thing serviceable with 3 gallons at ~$30 each I'll happily go for it.
D Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 82607
Post a pic of the part of the boom and cylinder. I rebuilt the extension boom cylinder on my Lull (had never done one before) it was 14'-8" long, had to move a few things and slide it out the back of the boom. Sometimes the ends can be stubborn to get off but with some ingenuity it can be done. If you can find a dealer or aftermarket to get the seal kit, that's half the battle.

ETA: try here: https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/
https://www.webequipment.com/telehandler-seal-kits/

Last edited by dave_dj1; 09-14-2019 at 05:20 PM.
dave_dj1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 210244
If it's leaking out the wiper seal, you're not going to fix it with stop leak...

Physics.

My Diesel Sport Trac Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
69DieselLover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2019, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Send a message via AIM to dethmachinefab
Pull the cylinder. The gland seal is shot and needs to be replaced. Once it's out you can measure it and match it up. I've ordered a bunch from McMaster.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69DieselLover View Post
If it's leaking out the wiper seal, you're not going to fix it with stop leak...

Physics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmachinefab View Post
Pull the cylinder. The gland seal is shot and needs to be replaced. Once it's out you can measure it and match it up. I've ordered a bunch from McMaster.
This. its very likely a very cheap seal.

If its just dripping out where the ram exits the cylinder its the wiper seal or gland seal.

If you could post a pic of the cylinder where the rod comes out so we can all judge how easy it will be to take apart.

if your in a large city or near one there is a very high chance that there is a hydraulic shop that will match up seals for you. For my territories (tulsa and spring dale) i use crown products in tulsa and precision in springdale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vacancy (daytona coupe, 66 charger, cougar eliminator)
1967 F250: Restomod
1998 f150 reg cab, swb, 4x4 5.4
2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more

Last edited by A_G; 09-14-2019 at 09:13 PM.
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 684914

if those didn't embed, here's a link: https://imgur.com/a/nVQ6Qlf

rebuilding the cylinder would be the easy part, i have a guy that's pretty local who's prices are so good we dont even bother doing it ourselves anymore. getting it out will be the shit part as it's 20' long and completely enclosed in the boom. last time we pulled a cylinder on this machine the pins were so seized it took a 60 lb jackhammer and backhoe to get one to move

what i'm really looking for is anecdotal experiences that'll either convince me to tear into it or to go to tractor supply and drop a hundred bucks on snake oil
Old 09-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 130300
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Nelly View Post

if those didn't embed, here's a link: https://imgur.com/a/nVQ6Qlf

rebuilding the cylinder would be the easy part, i have a guy that's pretty local who's prices are so good we dont even bother doing it ourselves anymore. getting it out will be the shit part as it's 20' long and completely enclosed in the boom. last time we pulled a cylinder on this machine the pins were so seized it took a 60 lb jackhammer and backhoe to get one to move

what i'm really looking for is anecdotal experiences that'll either convince me to tear into it or to go to tractor supply and drop a hundred bucks on snake oil
Pull the cylinder, stop leak wont do shit.
Mikes79bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133544
Nice spread, nice fence, nice driveway, freshly mown drainage, clean old boom lift, Goober needs to spend some moldy money and fix his shit or skip the lucas and dump a quart of dot3 in your hydraulic tank.
Crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
The gland seal is breaking apart from age. No stop leak snake oil in the world will fix it. It's not a simple gasket your trying to swell, it's a mechanical part that uses pressure to seal on the rod.

I've got an atlas crane sitting here that needs the extend cyl rebuilt that I'm not looking forward to doing.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisbee1 View Post
Nice spread, nice fence, nice driveway, freshly mown drainage, clean old boom lift, Goober needs to spend some moldy money and fix his shit or skip the lucas and dump a quart of dot3 in your hydraulic tank.
That wont work..its a plastic like seal not rubber.

Quote:
The gland seal is breaking apart from age. No stop leak snake oil in the world will fix it. It's not a simple gasket your trying to swell, it's a mechanical part that uses pressure to seal on the rod.

I've got an atlas crane sitting here that needs the extend cyl rebuilt that I'm not looking forward to doing.
hardest part is getting it apart.

Me and my coworker gotta pull the one in boom 3 this week
Attached Images

2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more

Last edited by A_G; 09-15-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101113
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_G View Post
That wont work..its a plastic like seal not rubber.

hardest part is getting it apart.

Me and my coworker gotta pull the one in boom 3 this week
Looks fun. I figure if your fixing that you have support equiptment to assist pulling it.

This thread gave me a bit of motivation to go work on the atlas crane. Tired to remove the pin that's been in place since 1987, it said fuck off. Going to need a press welded to it.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 684914
Sounds like I'll skip the Lucas stuff and let it drip for the time being. Oils cheap and this machines lucky to see 10 hours of use a year so I'll just tape up a diaper underneath it and rock on for the time being
Old 09-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 230312
It's not just the leak you need to worry about. I would bet the packing seal is wore out and starting to crumble. So fluid will start to bypass and not lift.

Worst case scenario, the bucket drops down with someone in it.
RokToy829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Quote:
Looks fun. I figure if your fixing that you have support equiptment to assist pulling it.

This thread gave me a bit of motivation to go work on the atlas crane. Tired to remove the pin that's been in place since 1987, it said fuck off. Going to need a press welded to it.
your right..not all the equipment but we find a way.

Based on the stuff ive seen you build you might already know this but...if you get a porta power put a fitting where the grease zerk is on the pin or eyelet or however i takes grease you can slowly pressurize if to push the gunk out..its messy and it might also push the pin out. or it might just find the easiest path and bypass all the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokToy829 View Post
It's not just the leak you need to worry about. I would bet the packing seal is wore out and starting to crumble. So fluid will start to bypass and not lift.

Worst case scenario, the bucket drops down with someone in it.
That is true, based on the photos you could rebuit it within the unit.

loosen lines let them bleed off. if it has holding valves loosen til they leak down to a drip then remove.

If you cant get to the lines or the holding valve...your fucked. If the ram is under pressure and you remove the cap down below the rod could shoot out. If not when you put it together with new seals your not gonna be able to put it together

i use this tool

https://rocklinhydraulics.com/2-to-6...nd-nut-wrench/

Any of the spanners will work on this page
https://rocklinhydraulics.com/hydraulic-repair-tools/

there likely going to be a keeper wire. in the cap. find the slot in the top of the ram use a pick to guide the keeper wire up keep spinning til it fall out. or if it binds like a dead stop back it up a bit and pull the wire up and out.

once the wire falls out pull on the eyelet in the ram. Then the plunger should push out the cap. There will be a nut on the end of the ram rod, take it off. Most are lock nuts some are loctited.

Reseal then put back together.

2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more

Last edited by A_G; 09-15-2019 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in