Divorce wasn't enough financial ruin - Let's buy a boat - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2019, 07:21 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassnTruck View Post
Clearly we have different feelings on financial ruin.

I see this as a boat to wind up ruined on. 2014 49' Monte Carlo Flybridge. $9K OBO

2014 - Monte Carlo for Sale in Miami, FL - iboats.com
I'm considering this a gateway drug.

Actually I owned one other powered boat. A 60's larsen I/O. Needed a floor, motor, controls, pretty much everything. At the time I was in college and time was cheap, money was light. When I found out the glass supplies to do the floor would be almost $1k I traded it for a project motorcycle. It was at least smaller to move around.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:13 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Dragging this back up. Got it rewired and took it out on the lake yesterday. Very happy with it. Handles well for a little boat, comfortable

Now more questions for the boat guys

Still doesn't idle great, it runs decent either on high idle or once you get it in gear and some throttle. What's the chance it's a clogged jet vs the idle screw needs adjustment?
Also it seemed to have a bit of a time getting on plane and at the top end. Top speed was around 24 and other people say they get over 30 on this type of setup. It felt like a badly geared truck, thinking it may need a new prop - current one is a 3 screw 11x12, the mercury guide I read indicates that a 10x13 or 10x15 would be better, but it's a little Greek to me

Finally any recommendations on 6.5 marine speakers for best bang for the buck?

Ps, need a GPS with man overboard button. My dad's in the picture and managed to lose his hat 3 times in 2 hours. Recovered everytime so far

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Do you want a gps/depthfinder combo? I just picked up a Garmin echomap 93cv and IMHO it's great value for the money, very happy with it. They have smaller ones for cheaper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2019, 07:44 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Still running rough, pretty sure its not timed right. But can't find a single working timing light between my or my dad's tools.

Even with the iffy idle got confident enough (and decent weather) to take the kiddo out. Grandma was there to help, she loved it - exactly what I had hoped

Last edited by kf4zht; 10-29-2019 at 07:46 PM.
kf4zht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2019, 09:12 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 110516
That's fucking awesome man. Congrats on making memories and having a good time!
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #31 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 129568
Send a message via AIM to mac67
Killer! Always a great time with the fam. I have a Simrad GO7 and love it. Lot of features and has been damn easy to use and navigate. As far as speakers I got infinity 6 1/2 and 6x9’s and they sound great! Been in the salt for three years now exposed to plenty of water and get a good scrub and rinse with the hose and they haven’t missed a beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Mari...marine+&sr=8-4

Last edited by mac67; 10-29-2019 at 10:08 PM.
mac67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 09:24 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 64554
If you have run some clean fuel through it for a couple of tanks and it's still running rough, doesn't pull on top, and has a rough time idling, that definitely screams timing.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 103154
That's a great picture! Way to build some family memorys

I'm going to sound like a safety nazi, buzzkill, Cali libtard whatafuckever, but get some life vests man..
It sucks buying sporting gear for kids cuz they grow so fast, but after nearly drowning I have a whole new respect for water.
whatafkwasat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 109702
Grandma. I was thinking you were taking the EX fishing Scott Peterson style.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac67 View Post
Killer! Always a great time with the fam. I have a Simrad GO7 and love it. Lot of features and has been damn easy to use and navigate. As far as speakers I got infinity 6 1/2 and 6x9ís and they sound great! Been in the salt for three years now exposed to plenty of water and get a good scrub and rinse with the hose and they havenít missed a beat.

https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Mari...marine+&sr=8-4
What, you don't like the aptly named pyles that keep coming back with bigger holes in the cones? Strangely the sound isnt getting any worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkyTJ View Post
If you have run some clean fuel through it for a couple of tanks and it's still running rough, doesn't pull on top, and has a rough time idling, that definitely screams timing.
3 tanks through it. On the top end its not as bad, slower than expected but I think that the wrong prop pitch. I think the advance is ironing out the issue once it revs. Found a guide on tuning and the timing adjust and idle adjust look the same and aren't labeled. Wouldn't put it past someone turning one trying to adjust it and using the wrong one

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatafkwasat View Post
That's a great picture! Way to build some family memorys

I'm going to sound like a safety nazi, buzzkill, Cali libtard whatafuckever, but get some life vests man..
It sucks buying sporting gear for kids cuz they grow so fast, but after nearly drowning I have a whole new respect for water.
The kiddo has a life jacket on, she can't get on the dock without one. I've got them on the boat, but am getting some of the self inflate ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-O View Post
Grandma. I was thinking you were taking the EX fishing Scott Peterson style.
She got married this past weekend. 13 months after the divorce, already knocked up. Officially, legally not my problem no more.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 88698
See if you can order a SELOC manual for it...that will have everything you want to know.

Typically on outboards you size the prop so at WOT you reach the specified redline.

Before anything else I would pull the lower unit and change the water pump impeller. Mercury impellers tend not to last more than a year or so...even if not used, they take a set in the housing and don't pump for shit. Overheating is about the only way to kill one of these if you don't forget to premix the gas.
LBHSBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2019, 12:55 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBHSBZ View Post
See if you can order a SELOC manual for it...that will have everything you want to know.

Typically on outboards you size the prop so at WOT you reach the specified redline.

Before anything else I would pull the lower unit and change the water pump impeller. Mercury impellers tend not to last more than a year or so...even if not used, they take a set in the housing and don't pump for shit. Overheating is about the only way to kill one of these if you don't forget to premix the gas.
I've been looking for a manual, may pick on of those up. Impeller will happen this winter. Planned on doing it, but its been peeing quite well every time I've used it so I let it ride. I did check compression at both cylinders were around 160-165psi and matched well

It drives like a low geared car - hard at the bottom end but winds a lot at the top for not much gain. Also been told that these boats usually see 1 MPH per HP when setup right. So I was thinking 30-35, getting 24 now.

Based on this book: https://www.generalpropeller.com/pdf/QS_Prop_Guide.pdf - Page 15
I'm putting it at a 14 since its a 13.5 and heavy at that. Its showing that a 10x13 or 10x14 would be best. Its got a 12 pitch right now, which make sense with the way my brain is trying to translate this to axle gearing that it would be too low,
Old 10-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #38 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 88698
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zht View Post
I've been looking for a manual, may pick on of those up. Impeller will happen this winter. Planned on doing it, but its been peeing quite well every time I've used it so I let it ride. I did check compression at both cylinders were around 160-165psi and matched well

It drives like a low geared car - hard at the bottom end but winds a lot at the top for not much gain. Also been told that these boats usually see 1 MPH per HP when setup right. So I was thinking 30-35, getting 24 now.

Based on this book: https://www.generalpropeller.com/pdf/QS_Prop_Guide.pdf - Page 15
I'm putting it at a 14 since its a 13.5 and heavy at that. Its showing that a 10x13 or 10x14 would be best. Its got a 12 pitch right now, which make sense with the way my brain is trying to translate this to axle gearing that it would be too low,
Heavier than normal boat will need a shorter prop (less pitch). I've only played with the bigger outboards, but the sames rules apply. I'm not sure what redline on yours is, but I'd assume 5500rpms or so. 25mph is about what I'd expect out of that setup...don't worry about speed. Make sure the throttle is opening all the way, and size the prop to get the engine within 100rpms of rated redline. After that, you can trade top end for bottom end or vise versa, but best all around will be with the prop that gets you within 100rpm of redline. @RSWORDS may have more experience with these little motors.
LBHSBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2019, 07:37 AM   #39 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zht View Post

Cool little boat. Ditch the console and make the original style benches. Those boats are small and tippy to start with. I couldn't imagine having to deal with a console.

Does the idle improve if you hit the choke real quick?

Get me an engine serial number and I'll see if I have a spare OEM manual, if I do its yours. Gotta love getting them kids on the water.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you to the companies that have helped me out

Last edited by RSWORDS; 10-31-2019 at 02:02 PM.
RSWORDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in