Divorce wasn't enough financial ruin - Let's buy a boat - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Divorce wasn't enough financial ruin - Let's buy a boat

So last September I got divorced, this September I buy a boat. Need suggestions to keep the September is bad financial decision month train rolling

Normally I don't even look at boats, but the last couple times we've gone up to some friend lakehouse my daughter (3) has been obsessed with riding in the boat. So when a 13' Boston Whaler for $1500 popped up on the local FB I went to take a look and bought it. Came home that day. I knew it was a winner, kiddo just saw it on Friday and immediately asked to go for a ride. I need to get this thing water ready asap. Its about 30 minutes to the local put in from the house

Specs - 1968 13' (actually 13' 4") Boston Whaler. 35 HP Mercury 2 smoke, converted at some point to center console. 43lb trolling motor.

But it did include this sweet anchor

The good - Hull seems solid. Motor fired right up, steering cables seem fine
The bad - Paint job was done with no prep and is flaking, electrical is beyond sketchy, was infested with ants

So the first step was to set and ant trap. That filled up in about 20 minutes, so the next step was spray the boat, which led to step 3 of vacuum dead ants out. I think they were living in the trolling motor mount, which will get replaced eventually.

Then it was on to electrical discovery. The PO did not know how to extend wires or use switches. So he just kept adding more batteries near what he wanted and using roach clips as switches. There were 3 full size and 1 lawn mower battery aboard. Also nothing was fused, the gauges are present but not connected to anything. The trolling motor wires were extended with some 12ga extension cord and wire nuts and there is a lemon sized ball of speaker wires bundled up.

So I went through my 12v supplies and ordered what I need to do it right. Current plan is to use 2 of the batteries in the center console. PO said it was really tail heavy, which makes sense with 2 full size batteries and fuel back there. Also should make it easy if I need to do an emergency swap of trolling motor to main or main to trolling motor if I have a dead battery or motor

Now is where I have a question for the boat knowledgeable - out of the shifter/throttle there is a 4 wire connector and a separate brown wire. They aren't connected to anything. Connector wires are Black, Grey, Whi/Blu, and Light Blue. I'm kinda assuming these are for gauges/lights but not sure. Based on some sketchy wiring diagram I found they may be:

Brown - Alt/Gen?
Blue - Oil Pressure
Blk - Gnd
Grey - Tach
Whi/Bl - ?

Assuming oil pressure doesn't matter since its a 2 stroke. Mostly I would like to either fix the tach or replace with one and put a battery meter for each bank.

Hoping to take it out this next week for a test run, then take the kid out after that. Once winter rolls around I'll work on tackling the other things:

Paint
Move console to side
Replace speakers
new trolling motor mount
Cooler/tiedowns
Bimini
Maybe a railing
Fix seat covers
Old 09-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67681
I'd be up for an 80s/90s Nautique or Mastercraft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17637
Anchor?

Someone was making an anvil.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
how is the compression on the motor? If that's in good shape do exactly what you're doing. You can't lose on those old BWs. Great lil boats.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17637
oh.

Enjoy your poverty and suffering.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
I've never seen a 13 foot whaler with a console, that's sorta like a surfboard with a lawn chair on it. You did well for $1500. Rip all wiring out and start over, shouldn't need much, running lights, phone charger, vhf if you care. Use tinned copper wire and heat shrink connectors with bus bars. Cheap plastic cutting boards make great switch panels to cover holes that PO already cut in dash.

There is no oil pressure gage, If you google the serial and model number of the engine you can find a wiring schematic for the controls. One wire should be electric choke, others should be start, run, ground. Fuel sender if there is one will be stand alone, but in something that small you should just be able to look at the poly tank and see how much is in there.

I'd ditch the stereo and just get a good Bluetooth speaker that floats, easy to bring to the beach or hang off the side when swimming.

Looks like a cool little rig, kid will love it.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig

Last edited by KacksterK5; 09-16-2019 at 08:28 AM.
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepyj View Post
oh.

^ this

I don't miss my power boat, kayak's are a lot less drama
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
perfection in plasma

Member # 25823
Send a message via ICQ to carslut
needs more speakers, more coolers, more d cups and pasties!........

carslut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
oh.

Understatement of the thread.

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 48233
Awful small boat to have a center console but whatev..

Paint it camo and turn it into a duck hunting rig and pickup bow fishing in the summer

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 95025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13 View Post

Yeah; it only takes up 50% of the boat's interior.

President Trump on building the wall:
"THIS IS WHERE WE HOLD THEM!!! THIS IS WHERE WE FIGHT!!! THIS IS WHERE THEY'RE DEPORTED!!!"

V.P.Pence:
BUILD THIS WALL, BOYS!!!

Fearless Indians:
Awe-Ooo!!!
CDA 455 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 548137
I foresee many memories with your little sailor.

Those hulls are damn near impossible to sink. Friend has an 18' model IIRC. left the plug out one day, thing was still floating when he realized it some 3 or 4 hours later.

If you're looking at the white area between the "anchor" and the white bumper in your 4th pic, that's spider cracked gel coat, not paint with no prep. you could sand it down and paint over it, just know that it's not typical paint.
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 10:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
^ this

I don't miss my power boat, kayak's are a lot less drama
I'm with Norm... kayaks for the win.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post
how is the compression on the motor? If that's in good shape do exactly what you're doing. You can't lose on those old BWs. Great lil boats.
I need to get my compression tester but it sounds like it has good compression and hand turning the motor it feels good. Started up cold in about 2 revolutions.

Quote:
oh.

Fully expecting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KacksterK5 View Post
I've never seen a 13 foot whaler with a console, that's sorta like a surfboard with a lawn chair on it. You did well for $1500. Rip all wiring out and start over, shouldn't need much, running lights, phone charger, vhf if you care. Use tinned copper wire and heat shrink connectors with bus bars. Cheap plastic cutting boards make great switch panels to cover holes that PO already cut in dash.

There is no oil pressure gage, If you google the serial and model number of the engine you can find a wiring schematic for the controls. One wire should be electric choke, others should be start, run, ground. Fuel sender if there is one will be stand alone, but in something that small you should just be able to look at the poly tank and see how much is in there.

I'd ditch the stereo and just get a good Bluetooth speaker that floats, easy to bring to the beach or hang off the side when swimming.

Looks like a cool little rig, kid will love it.
The console is a little much for the boat. It also had a giant platform on the back I already ripped off. I plan on keeping the console but probably shifting it to one side to make room for a cooler or at least a walkway.

Good point on the cutting boards, I was trying to figure out how to plug the holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carslut View Post
needs more speakers, more coolers, more d cups and pasties!........
Speakers and coolers are already in the works. The rest will follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13 View Post

Paint it camo and turn it into a duck hunting rig and pickup bow fishing in the summer
I plan on this being a do most everything. Family rides, fishing, may try bowfishing, try some lake dives, boating accidents with firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
I foresee many memories with your little sailor.

Those hulls are damn near impossible to sink. Friend has an 18' model IIRC. left the plug out one day, thing was still floating when he realized it some 3 or 4 hours later.

If you're looking at the white area between the "anchor" and the white bumper in your 4th pic, that's spider cracked gel coat, not paint with no prep. you could sand it down and paint over it, just know that it's not typical paint.
Thats part of why I picked this up. With the foam construction they are fairly unsinkable and not much to rot.
I saw the spider cracking. Someone painted over that to cover it, but didnt even bother sanding. I figure I will take everything out off season, get rid of the bad paint and properly fix and repaint it. But for now if it floats and runs I'm going to have fun
Old 09-16-2019, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker View Post
I'm with Norm... kayaks for the win.
I've got a kayak too, but can't paddle fast enough for the kid to get the face in the wind feeling.

She once fell asleep driving her barbie jeep in circles and flipped out when I took her foot off the pedal. She rode in circle asleep till the battery died
Old 09-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 19204
Old 09-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 199544
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zht View Post
Now is where I have a question for the boat knowledgeable
A good bottle of champagne to christen at launch time. Better to impress your friends w/Dom Perignon

That Boston Whaler looks good, usually deck is first to go (spongy)-
det107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 55396
seems like a pretty good price forthat hull with a running motor and trailer. Are there any soft spots in the floors / transom at all?

A 2 stroke outboard motor that size really doesn't need any gauges; typically that little whaler would have that motor with a tiller (no gauges) instead of remote controls, and you'rd drive it by ear. (you can easily add a volt meter while rewiring.)
Feed it good fuel ( ethanol free highly adviseable) and make sure its getting 2 stroke oil.

If it were me, i would consider replacing the impeller and spark plugs just to know they were done and establish a baseline. (It looks like you've already done lower unit oil. based on the bottle & pump in the pic)

If you intend to actually use the trolling motor for any period of time you'll probably want a two battery bank for it.

Although I suppose as long as that motor has a pull start, you probably don't really need to worry about running the Trolling Motor off the main battery...

Yes definitely move the batteries and or fuel tank under the console; trolling motor batteries in the bow is what you want but i don't think that's feasible in the 13 whaler. If its still tail heavy you could use a set of 'smart tabs' they are a band aid for weight distribution, but appropriate for this application.

You should be able to find the wiring diagram for those quicksilver(mercury marine/ semi-universal) controls. Wiring color standards here:
https://www.cpperformance.com/t-boat_wiring_colors.aspx

Probably not a lot of marine suppliers in your area so pretty good pricing on quality tinned marine wire here: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/electrical/

Last edited by WTF?; 09-16-2019 at 07:55 PM.
WTF? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 80248
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF? View Post
seems like a pretty good price forthat hull with a running motor and trailer. are the floors / transom soft at all?

A 2 stroke outboard motor that size really doesn't need any gauges; typically that little whaler would have that motor with a tiller (no gauges) instead of remote controls, and you'rd drive it by ear. (you can easily add a volt meter while rewiring.)
Feed it good fuel ( ethanol free highly adviseable) and make sure its getting 2 stroke.

If it were me, i would consider replacing the impeller and spark plugs just to know they were done and establish a baseline.

If you intend to actually use the trolling motor for any period of time you'll probably want a two battery bank for it.

Although I suppose as long as that motor has a pull start, you probably don't really need to worry about running the Trolling Motor off the main battery...

Yes definitely move the batteries and or fuel tank under the console; trolling motor batteries in the bow is what you want but i don't think that's feasible in the 13 whaler. If its still tail heavy you could use a set of 'smart tabs' they are a band aid for weight distribution, but appropriate for this application.

You should be able to find the wiring diagram for those quicksilver(mercury marine/ semi-universal) controls. Wiring color standards here:
https://www.cpperformance.com/t-boat_wiring_colors.aspx

Probably not a lot of marine suppliers in your area so pretty good pricing on quality tinned marine wire here: https://www.wholesalemarine.com/electrical/
The spark plugs look pretty new, and the PO said he had it in for overhaul 2 years ago and didnt drive it last year. May still see how bad it is to check the impeller.

Right now it fires right up but idles rough. He didnt know to run the fuel out or drain it, guessing it's just a sticky idle jet. I'm half way between pulling the carb and running it in the ultrasonic or just putting fresh real gas with fresh 2 stroke oil and some seafoam and doing the old Italian tune up.

Thanks for the color code chart! Very helpful

I'm probably going to use the wire I have already. If it fails I'll get the official stuff. I do have plenty of good heat shrink to seal it up and its going to live in my carport. Still and upgrade over 4 size too small extension cord with wire nuts
Old 09-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 55396
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zht View Post
... or just putting fresh real gas with fresh 2 stroke oil and some seafoam and doing the old Italian tune up.
Definitely this option- old 2 smokes generally don't idle very smoothly even at their best, especially cold and/pr out of water/ on muffs with no exhaust back pressure.

IMO you run more risk of messing something up than improving the operation based on my experience/observations with novice marine carb tinkering attempts.

Last edited by WTF?; 09-16-2019 at 05:13 PM.
WTF? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Bust
Out
Another
Thousand

One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 05:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 188393
I hang a 35 h.p. Johnson on a 1448 aluminum flat bottom...

Hike up your dress and hang a larger motor on the back

Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Clearly we have different feelings on financial ruin.

I see this as a boat to wind up ruined on. 2014 49' Monte Carlo Flybridge. $9K OBO

2014 - Monte Carlo for Sale in Miami, FL - iboats.com
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 226216
That would do it BnT. did you put an offer in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
That would do it BnT. did you put an offer in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very very tempted. I even showed it to the wife. The first picture was not really that bad but then she wanted to see the rest. They get worse as they go on. I could totally fix that beast. But I think I better hold off on any large projects until I finish the house.
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in