Moab Questions - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 12:10 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Sirch.

There was a boatload of Moab threads in CC last year.
Array.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:34 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll look into all of it. I know we can't do much, but we want to just get a taste of what the place is about. Sometime in the future I'd like to get out there in my own rig and spend some time on the trails. Keep the suggestions coming, I like options.
Travis..
Skip JAX. Grocery store frozen section caliber pizza. The sushi place near the post office is actually pretty decent. Moab Coffee Roasters makes one of the best lattes I've ever had. The other contenders being Small Town Coffee in Kaui (winner) and Rocky Mountain Coffee Roasters in Frisco, CO.
east_beast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
blu pig is decent BBQ and has live music a couple nights a week

Gilbertos across from city market is ok but not amazing quick burritos and tacos open early/ late if everything else is closed.

I agree if you are looking for decent pizza Jax is a let down, quick pizza/ salad buffet it all it is.

Not much is open late restaurant wise.

The old lady loves Walker Drug, you might go in for a bottle of Advil and walk out with an action packer, a dog toy, and a bunch of Bananas.

If you want to see a lot of what Moab has to offer without a ton of tourists and relatively smoothish trails in a stock rental jeep here's what I'd do. I'd go up the switch backs from 191 to Gemini bridges, cross 313 to Dubinky well road (BLM 137) and head to Dubinky well which is only a minute or 2 out of the way and the plaque is worth reading and continue to dellenbaugh tunnel, secret spire, and spring canyon point and then see how much time you have left to determine if you go back 137 to 313 to 191 or explore some of the other spots between Dubinky well road and 191. You'll have great views of Moab climbing up the switch backs to Gemini bridges, then get to walk across the top of an arch at Gemini bridges, Dellenbaugh tunnel is a natural tunnel, secret spire is a big balancing rock, and Spring Canyon Point is a great view looking down on Hey Joe Canyon and the Green River. Very little rock crawling but very scenic.

If you rent something you are allowed to crawl I'd do Poison Spyder Mesa to either the top of the V notch or the grave site and then either Hells Revenge (very busy, fun but not that fun because of the 8 million side by sides) or if you want a quick trip in Arches go in the main Arches gate and head to tower arch and back out Willow Springs Road. We've done Poison Spyder in a stock JKU Rubicon and you might need a spotter in a spot or 2 a bad driver makes that trail look much harder than it is, I've done hells revenge in a stock TJ and it wasn't bad, tower arch is easier than the other 2 I've mentioned.

Also think about renting a side by side if you only have a day. They are road legal and you can cover a lot more ground without beating the crap out of your self. You just aren't allowed in the national parks.
BarrelRoll is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRoll View Post
Also think about renting a side by side if you only have a day. They are road legal and you can cover a lot more ground without beating the crap out of your self. You just aren't allowed in the national parks.

Yeah, honestly this is a pretty good suggestion. If you're primarily wanting to sight see and just see as much as you can as quick as you can vs. actually wheeling a SxS probably is your best bet.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 26623
x3 on Twisted Jeep. They have the most capable rental jeeps in town. Owners Joe and Nick are great to work with and will take care of you.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:38 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMo View Post
x3 on Twisted Jeep. They have the most capable rental jeeps in town. Owners Joe and Nick are great to work with and will take care of you.
Yep, I called to see if they allowed dogs in their Jeeps. He just said something to the effect of, "Generally speaking no, but seeing as how you actually called to ask you're probably a decently responsible dog owner. Just vacuum out all the dog hair before you bring it back."
Old 09-20-2019, 10:12 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 17632
Good stuff, thanks everyone
Travis..
Old 09-20-2019, 12:15 PM   #33 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 29513
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnzuk View Post
Hey all, the wife and I are going to be re-creating our honeymoon trip for our 20 year anniversary and want to add Moab into the mix. The trip is a 2 1/2 week loop of basically the western US seeing sights and re-living the magic as it were We want to spend 2 nights in Moab and use the one full day to see some of the area. We will be there around the 28-29 of October. I have 2 questions right off the bat;

1..There seem to be a metric shit ton of motels, is there a local favorite that is reasonably priced?

2..Since we will most likely be in the wifes Challenger, or my new Ram that I don't have any desire to off-road, is there a "best" place to rent a Jeep to hit an easy trail or two?

Any thoughts on places to eat would be appreciated too. We have never been to Moab, so it will be 100% new to us. Thoughts??
Travis..
Late to the party but if you don't want to rent a Jeep, check out Extreme 4X4 tours. Dave does one hell of a fun tour in his full coilover suburban things. In a previous life I race KOH 5 times and when I took my Cubscout pack on the tour I was doing it just cause we needed something fun for them. I know Dave well enough that he and I shot the shit while he gave me a new understanding of what his rigs were able to do. I was wondering how we were going to handle some of the corners at the speeds he was carrying kind of fun. Highly recomend his tours.

There's a metric shit ton of new hotels happening right now there so pick one, you need reservations nearly 1 year out now too.
miniwally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
Fucking Green River is now pulling in the pushy Asians tourist peeps. Had to wait for a table at the Tamarisk. If you could figure out how to pull it off, consider running Black Dragon in the San Rafael Swell. You would have the place all to yourself.

Last edited by billdacat; 09-20-2019 at 05:19 PM.
billdacat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 101209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRoll View Post
blu pig is decent BBQ and has live music a couple nights a week

If you want to see a lot of what Moab has to offer without a ton of tourists and relatively smoothish trails in a stock rental jeep here's what I'd do. I'd go up the switch backs from 191 to Gemini bridges, cross 313 to Dubinky well road (BLM 137) and head to Dubinky well which is only a minute or 2 out of the way and the plaque is worth reading and continue to dellenbaugh tunnel, secret spire, and spring canyon point and then see how much time you have left to determine if you go back 137 to 313 to 191 or explore some of the other spots between Dubinky well road and 191. You'll have great views of Moab climbing up the switch backs to Gemini bridges, then get to walk across the top of an arch at Gemini bridges, Dellenbaugh tunnel is a natural tunnel, secret spire is a big balancing rock, and Spring Canyon Point is a great view looking down on Hey Joe Canyon and the Green River. Very little rock crawling but very scenic.

is this doable in a stock ram rebel 1500 towing a small off road trailer ?

like rtt on a jeep trailer size?

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.[/COLOR]
Edward Murrow
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat View Post
Fucking Green River is now pulling in the pushy Asians tourist peeps. Had to wait for a table at the Tamarisk. If you could figure out how to pull it off, consider running Black Dragon in the San Rafael Swell. You would have the place all to yourself.
Their Navajo fry bread is good shit. Burgers aren't bad either.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
Quote:
..... If you could figure out how to pull it off, consider running Black Dragon in the San Rafael Swell. You would have the place all to yourself.

Those days are long gone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mbryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #38 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryson View Post
Those days are long gone
The GF and I were south of Moab at an overlook of the Hurrah Pass. We were observing LA rush hour traffic on that bitch. What the fuck happened to Moab?
But there is more.... What really frosted my oats; is the huge fucking Hollywood film crew that shows up with 30 or more vehicles hauling movie stares, make-up artist, dildo-handlers, and gaffs. They also had a fucking drone crew!
The big enchilada director was dressed in a big gay cowboy outfit. Boots, tight-jeans, leather vest(no shirt). He is yelling orders at anything that walks creeps or crawls.
My fucking Pig 04 TJ is parked in the middle of the cluster fuck before it showed up. BLM officials (yes they were on site) advised me "no problem, take your time, you were here first".

GF and I were pursuing trails less traveled with some nice quite time. Fucking Moab has really changed.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:52 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
Quote:
The GF and I were south of Moab at an overlook of the Hurrah Pass. We were observing LA rush hour traffic on that bitch. What the fuck happened to Moab?

We did a great job of telling people about it. Now it’s been taken over by hippies wanting to “ save” it. Same thing as other cool western towns. Jackson Hole used to be awesome. Now it’s cool scenery with designer “flair” added. Park City Utah used to be way cool. Now the Hollyweird types think it’s awesome and have moved in and “fixed” it up. It still has some cool but most of the original cool has long since left

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mbryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #40 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133544
Quote:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49779260

A bus carrying Chinese tourists has crashed in the US state of Utah, killing at least four and critically injuring at least 5 more.

The vehicle was near Bryce Canyon National Park when it veered off road and hit a guard rail.

Of the 31 people on board, four were killed and the rest were taken to hospital with injuries ranging from minor to life-threatening.

Authorities are investigating the cause of the crash.

"This is pretty overwhelming for a little county of 4,900 people," Garfield County Commissioner told local broadcaster KSL.

Utah Highway Patrol said they received calls about the incident at 11:32 local time (17:32 GMT) on Friday morning, in the south of the state en route to the park.
Crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #41 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
We're heading there in late march 2020. Any idea of what kind of crowds we're in for? We will be hitting a few of the harder trails. Sorry if I'm hijacking but this is the latest thread on moab.
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgiemoto View Post
We're heading there in late march 2020. Any idea of what kind of crowds we're in for? We will be hitting a few of the harder trails. Sorry if I'm hijacking but this is the latest thread on moab.
Should be alright. I've been out there around that same timeframe and had the place pretty much to myself. Rode 2+ feet of powder in the snowboard at Loveland that morning and was mountain biking on the slickrock that afternoon. Helluva day.
Old 09-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisbee1 View Post
Awesome , thanks for the tip, Moab to the 70, 70 to 24, 24 to the 12, 12 to the 89, 89 to the 9 to Zion. Thats an all day sucker!
East Beast advice is SPOT ON. One of the best roadtrips ever included that very route!
Old 09-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #44 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133544
Looking forward to it! Should be pulling out of moab next friday 0 dark 30.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:18 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisbee1 View Post
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49779260

A bus carrying Chinese tourists has crashed in the US state of Utah, killing at least four and critically injuring at least 5 more.

The vehicle was near Bryce Canyon National Park when it veered off road and hit a guard rail.

Of the 31 people on board, four were killed and the rest were taken to hospital with injuries ranging from minor to life-threatening.

Authorities are investigating the cause of the crash.

"This is pretty overwhelming for a little county of 4,900 people," Garfield County Commissioner told local broadcaster KSL.

Utah Highway Patrol said they received calls about the incident at 11:32 local time (17:32 GMT) on Friday morning, in the south of the state en route to the park.
I might bitch about the fucking pushy Asians; but that accident would be better served to a bus load of fucking pedophilia's. I really feel for the poor peeps that lost there love ones and lives.

Last edited by billdacat; 09-21-2019 at 11:19 PM.
billdacat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2019, 07:38 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Thoughts and prayers to the victims families.

Next time let it be full of pedos and wife beaters. And then burn to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #47 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 140628
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
Should be alright. I've been out there around that same timeframe and had the place pretty much to myself. Rode 2+ feet of powder in the snowboard at Loveland that morning and was mountain biking on the slickrock that afternoon. Helluva day.
Awesome. I plan on doing some mountain too when I'm there
hodgiemoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #48 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT75FLH View Post
is this doable in a stock ram rebel 1500 towing a small off road trailer ?

like rtt on a jeep trailer size?
I'm sure you could get a stock pickup with a trailer on that loop. I'm not sure why you would drag a trailer through this stuff unless you have to get pictures of your setup for the gram. There's tons of camping in the area to drop your trailer. Turning around might be a pain in a couple of the spots but doable and you'd be that guy dragging a trailer through everything.

I agree with people that Moab has gotten way too popular. We are headed out in November for 5 days and we'll see how big of a zoo it is. We were out for the second half of Easter jeep this year and it seemed pretty empty compared to years past. We ran up the crack on poison spyder and back on Easter Sunday in 2 hours which seemed really quick.
BarrelRoll is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2019, 06:10 PM   #49 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 133544
Did this drive today, what a hoot! Left Moab at 7 am, 191 to 70, 70 to 24, 24 to 12, 12 to 89, 89 to 9 , 9 I to Springdale, 7 hours, Town Car is getting it done. 2 nights in Zion then off to Vegas for 2 nights and a show. Michael Jacksons cirque De la spandex.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:50 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 151599
Pasta jays is pretty killer for dinner, zaks has great all you can eat pizza and salad bar, I have been going for years and decided to try peace tree cafefor breakfast , never went in the past because it looked like a complete hippie spot. It kinda is a complete hippie spot but the green eggs and ham is damn tasty. They also make smoothies and fresh juice if you have a hangover

Last edited by skiman26; 09-28-2019 at 11:51 PM.
skiman26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in