GM moves to the south in 3... 2... - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 04:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Member # 85771
Location: Minnysooota
Posts: 18,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 View Post
To me, they were always militant for the purpose of just causing trouble..
yes
__________________
Make Forums Great Again!
ky scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Member # 75858
Location: Davisburg, MI
Posts: 542
I was in the UAW for a couple years. (78-80) I had applied for skilled trades and then got laid off. I didn't take my callback because I found during the extended layoff that as a non skilled person, I couldn't duplicate my income anywhere else. So I got into a trades program at a small die shop. Since I had taken the Skilled Trades test, they called me in for an interview. Told me that I scored high enough to get into the skilled trades program if: I were an employee (I had refused my call back), I were a minority or if I was a woman.

Fuck them. I went on to be successful without them.

As far as the current strike, GM has a huge stockpile of vehicles. There are more trucks sitting in the parking lot at Flint Assembly than I can remember. They can let a strike go on for a long time before they will be lacking vehicles to sell.
__________________
LQ9, Atlas, tons, 8274 & the rest of the usual
white-rhino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
KacksterK5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5851
Location: Harford County, MD
Posts: 3,272
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
If you've got some time go watch "The American Factory" on Netflix. It's about a chinese autoglass company who comes and tries to re-open a shuttered GM plant in Dayton, Ohio. It's pretty hilarious to watch the workers complain about how they were paid when they were in the union and what they make now. One woman who looks at glass for cracks was complaining about how she made $37 an hour at gm and $12.50 now. Yeah lady, you look through glass...

Another guy who worked on the line installing dashboards or something has a bunch of chinese people over to his house to ride his Harley, shoot his guns, play with his horses and party on his farm. How the hell does a guy who installs dashboards afford horses???

UAW tries to come in, China blocks it.

One take away I had was the glaring difference in the workforce. Chinese were all slender, orderly and neatly dressed in their work clothes. Americans were all overweight, sloppily dressed, and just more relaxed.

Some friends used to work at the now Shuttered Ford plant in Norfolk, VA and would talk about making $50 an hour on night shift to move the same box from the front of the factory to the back. Back and forth, all night, the same box. He drove a new Super Duty, lived in a new house, went on big game hunting trips and had a pile of toys... as a forklift driver....

UAW is the reason cars cost so much and I for one can't stand the entitled attitude. Fuck em, let them starve and try to find other work.
__________________
"If you ain't first, you're last"


86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it


02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig

Last edited by KacksterK5; 09-18-2019 at 05:32 AM.
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member # 121794
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rhino View Post
I was in the UAW for a couple years. (78-80) I had applied for skilled trades and then got laid off. I didn't take my callback because I found during the extended layoff that as a non skilled person, I couldn't duplicate my income anywhere else. So I got into a trades program at a small die shop. Since I had taken the Skilled Trades test, they called me in for an interview. Told me that I scored high enough to get into the skilled trades program if: I were an employee (I had refused my call back), I were a minority or if I was a woman.

Fuck them. I went on to be successful without them.

As far as the current strike, GM has a huge stockpile of vehicles. There are more trucks sitting in the parking lot at Flint Assembly than I can remember. They can let a strike go on for a long time before they will be lacking vehicles to sell.
From what I read, the problem is that the Teamsters are refusing to ship GM vehicles because the UAW is on Strike.
__________________
If you pretend to know everyting you will not learn anything.
thedonn007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #30 (permalink)
Wheeler
 
5TonDreamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Member # 487154
Location: The really flat part of Ohio
Posts: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude View Post
:Ridiculous Benefits:
Add to that free legal services for life. This is from a retired Union Rep in a Chrysler plant, not sure if the squatters got the same.

Buddy is an operator, Union also but a trade. They were in a GM plant to install some machines for a changeover. Union required there to be X number of UAW employees per Y number of outside workers in the building, they just sat in the break room playing cards everyday (10+ hour days = OT for them also), all day.
__________________
.
_________
____ . ... .
________/__/__\____\_,__
|- /¯¯\_''______/¯¯\-[]===[]
_`(o)_)<>)_)__`(o)_)o==)_)

Quote:
Mathematics itself operates as Whiteness.
5TonDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 06:26 AM   #31 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
MattS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 386
Location: Omaha, NE USA
Posts: 25,951
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdude View Post
We are good friends with some retired UAW members. They are around 65-70 age. The stories they tell are mind boggling. They worked for Ford but I am sure it’s all similar. Not all are them, but they are all first hand accounts.

Paid in full for months to sit because production was idled.
Hours long lunches at the bars.
Partying on the production line.
Pension payments equal or higher than annual earnings.
Guaranteed paid full healthcare when retired.

You dream it, it has happened to thousands, not just a few stories. Crazy to listen nd hard to comprehend.
I toured the corvette plant back in 1999. I was flat amazed at the pay rate of a worker that could basically get replaced by any person off the street and in 15 mins be trained and the line started back up.

$31/hour for no skill is crazy high even by today's standards. If the rate the lady in the OP's vid is assuming an 8 hour day.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #32 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 3007
Location: Cedar Rapids, Ia
Posts: 24,588
An old neighbor worked for Ford in the union and smoked dope in the parking lot daily for hours long lunches and would go on on weekends for OT and holidays for double/triple pay to sweep floors when his real job there was on the assembly line. He's likely retired already and living large. Not a fan
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Ol'Customcj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Member # 43637
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 10,205
Fuck GM. Fuck Unions. Fuck UAW.

The time of them being helpful has long passed. They are now a bane on the manufacturing world.
__________________
[QUOTE=PAToyota;19894137]Back in college, we were making up acetylene balloons and putting them in a box to take off to light. Guy comes into the room, goes "Balloons!" and grabs a balloon, rubs it on his head, and sticks it to the wall... Everyone was diving for cover... :D[/QUOTE]
Ol'Customcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 AM   #34 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 3007
Location: Cedar Rapids, Ia
Posts: 24,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
I toured the corvette plant back in 1999. I was flat amazed at the pay rate of a worker that could basically get replaced by any person off the street and in 15 mins be trained and the line started back up.

$31/hour for no skill is crazy high even by today's standards. If the rate the lady in the OP's vid is assuming an 8 hour day.
I'd almost quit my desk job to be a trained monkey for the next 20 at that pay grade.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111524
Location: Texas... we dont F*&*% around
Posts: 15,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
They might just have to slam them a few times first.
thread winner


Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rhino View Post
As far as the current strike, GM has a huge stockpile of vehicles. There are more trucks sitting in the parking lot at Flint Assembly than I can remember. They can let a strike go on for a long time before they will be lacking vehicles to sell.
news says they only have 8-10 weeks of inventoried vehicles and then they cant meet the demand for delivery. if thats true and this pushes up to that point, who would want to buy a GM vehicle that was made after they go back to work and they are working them faster to try and meet the demand? Every vehicle would be like one built on Monday or Friday.



I heard someone say this years ago about the UAW and the Detroit workers. The reason cars are so expensive and the reason GM was in trouble is there are 100's of thousands of people who made $75k a year to put 3 screws in the door of a Chevy Cavalier and then retired after 35 years with 125% pay and full cadillac medical plans and lived high on the hog the next 40 years.


it will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. GM may be seeing the writing on the wall that they cant keep selling $75,000 piece of shit "High Country" trucks forever.
__________________
shhhh.....
Texas97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #36 (permalink)
Registered User
 
larboc@hotmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 70148
Location: da U.P. of MI eh?
Posts: 6,234
Any of the assembly line worker bashers here ever worked on an assembly line cross threading tow hook bolts into C/K truck frames for 20 years straight? Sounds miserably boring.
GM needs to concentrate on autonomous assembly lines before autonomous vehicles. Unless they boot the UAW, that's their only chance for making a competitive product in the U.S.
__________________
I don't pay nothing for anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 07:15 AM   #37 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Member # 7412
Location: ft worth texas, aguilar colorado
Posts: 6,417
i have people that came in cleaning bathrooms, came to work and got a upgrade to a dispatcher job. now they make 36 bucks or so an hour. not bad for unskilled labor. lots of OT and double time sundays. but the benefits are pretty much shit now a days and no pension. i told one of them, i can replace you with a high school kid in a week. just fawkin crazy..
__________________
m35A2C 4x4 sitting on 49" R2s,suburban 454/465/205 43" ag tires,Durango on tons and 40s
gunracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 07:20 AM   #38 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
MattS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 386
Location: Omaha, NE USA
Posts: 25,951
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I'd almost quit my desk job to be a trained monkey for the next 20 at that pay grade.
It's actually more than that when you think about it. You would have less out of pocket healthcare costs, work less for more $$ and I'm assuming get some giant pension so you don't have to fund your own retirement.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 07:24 AM   #39 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Member # 198851
Location: In a state of insanity
Posts: 5,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by KacksterK5 View Post

UAW is the reason cars cost so much and I for one can't stand the entitled attitude. Fuck em, let them starve and try to find other work.
Then how come vehicles made at non union plants coast about the same?
__________________
I'm not all that smart...but smart enough to realize it...
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #40 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 3007
Location: Cedar Rapids, Ia
Posts: 24,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 View Post
Then how come vehicles made at non union plants coast about the same?
Exactly, the .gov is why cars are so fawking expensive

Last edited by Bones; 09-18-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #41 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Member # 111524
Location: Texas... we dont F*&*% around
Posts: 15,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 View Post
Then how come vehicles made at non union plants coast about the same?
Wouldn't the non Union plants have to pay a wage and compensation commiserate with the rest of the industry to attract workers?
__________________
shhhh.....
Texas97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #42 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
KacksterK5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 5851
Location: Harford County, MD
Posts: 3,272
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 View Post
Then how come vehicles made at non union plants coast about the same?
Market is driven up by the high prices at the union plants, why leave money on the table??
__________________
"If you ain't first, you're last"


86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it


02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #43 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Member # 67681
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 28,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubbler View Post
Perhaps the UAW should go after the automotive plants that aren't represented by them, so that they can reap the benefits of what the UAW brings to the table as well...

Why does GM, Ford, and FCA continue to put up with them?
They have all laid with dogs and have fleas. Nobody gets out.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #44 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102421
Posts: 148
I read a local news report about the strike that said the average pay for a GM employee is $90K/year before benefits. Cry me a river UAW
__________________
“Whiskey is cheap. Gas is cheaper. Water is cheaper still.”
zr2.jd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 09:17 AM   #45 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Member # 198851
Location: In a state of insanity
Posts: 5,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
Wouldn't the non Union plants have to pay a wage and compensation commiserate with the rest of the industry to attract workers?
What is the wage package of a, UAW auto worker compared to the non union worker? The company does pocket the difference...I have no love for the UAW but it's business as usual and it's really not our business who makes what...
__________________
I'm not all that smart...but smart enough to realize it...
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #46 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member # 121794
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2.jd View Post
I read a local news report about the strike that said the average pay for a GM employee is $90K/year before benefits. Cry me a river UAW
90K a year for the hourly employees? That seems really high.
__________________
If you pretend to know everyting you will not learn anything.
thedonn007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #47 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 1956
Posts: 5,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by KacksterK5 View Post
If you've got some time go watch "The American Factory" on Netflix. It's about a chinese autoglass company who comes and tries to re-open a shuttered GM plant in Dayton, Ohio. It's pretty hilarious to watch the workers complain about how they were paid when they were in the union and what they make now. One woman who looks at glass for cracks was complaining about how she made $37 an hour at gm and $12.50 now. Yeah lady, you look through glass...

Another guy who worked on the line installing dashboards or something has a bunch of chinese people over to his house to ride his Harley, shoot his guns, play with his horses and party on his farm. How the hell does a guy who installs dashboards afford horses???

UAW tries to come in, China blocks it.

One take away I had was the glaring difference in the workforce. Chinese were all slender, orderly and neatly dressed in their work clothes. Americans were all overweight, sloppily dressed, and just more relaxed.

Some friends used to work at the now Shuttered Ford plant in Norfolk, VA and would talk about making $50 an hour on night shift to move the same box from the front of the factory to the back. Back and forth, all night, the same box. He drove a new Super Duty, lived in a new house, went on big game hunting trips and had a pile of toys... as a forklift driver....

UAW is the reason cars cost so much and I for one can't stand the entitled attitude. Fuck em, let them starve and try to find other work.
Yea, it's an Obama pick documentary. Funny how the former Union minions immediately start pushing for the entity that did NOTHING but get them laid them off for years! The UNION didn't get that company located there. Then that Representative gave a speech and pushed the union. I loved it when the Company said that guy is no longer allowed on the property.
__________________
Jerry Brown: If Trump is elected, we'll build a wall around California! MAGA!
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #48 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Member # 3007
Location: Cedar Rapids, Ia
Posts: 24,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2.jd View Post
I read a local news report about the strike that said the average pay for a GM employee is $90K/year before benefits. Cry me a river UAW
but but but they have union dues
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #49 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102421
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
90K a year for the hourly employees? That seems really high.
It just said average for a GM employee. They may have been salaried in that figure too

https://www.wsmv.com/news/auto-worke...5a382.amp.html
__________________
“Whiskey is cheap. Gas is cheaper. Water is cheaper still.”

Last edited by zr2.jd; 09-18-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Add link
zr2.jd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #50 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Member # 121794
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2.jd View Post
It just said average for a GM employee. They may have been salaried in that figure too

https://www.wsmv.com/news/auto-worke...5a382.amp.html
No, it looks like you were correct, "The UAW members at the three automakers have much better contracts. GM says its average hourly employee earns about $90,000 per year, not including benefits". Well that is surprising.
__________________
If you pretend to know everyting you will not learn anything.
thedonn007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.