Why don't companies want to keep their best and brightest? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Send a message via AIM to 44Runner
Why don't companies want to keep their best and brightest?

So I am reaching the end of grad school and recruiting season is in full swing. I feel pretty confident that I am going to get an offer from my top pick and frankly probably my second favorite as well. Both are fantastic opportunities with great companies and ones that I am a perfect fit for. I will have first round interviews done by the middle of this month and then next month, if I make it past round one, they will fly me out to their respective corporate headquarters for the final interview.

This is amazing right? I am being pursued by these great companies that are offering tons of money and positions that I really want where I can excel and really be an asset to the company.

The problem? Where the hell is my current employer in all this? I made it clear to them up front that they would be my number one option after graduation if they gave me the promotion I would like. I wasn't kidding with them either. I know the business inside and out, I know the corporate culture, and I have been a model employee for 16 years. Far from them making an effort to keep me on, it almost seems as though they are making an effort to push me out the door. This is a Fortune 500 company. They have all the resources in the world to make me happy. I am easily the most qualified person in the company for the role I want and could really make a positive impact, yet I don't hear a thing.

I see this same thing over and over. My school advertises that something like 98.5% of graduates will get promoted or take a new job between the start of the program and 3 months after graduation. I think this is likely true but the number of people staying with their current company seems to be an extremely small number. In fact, for the people staying with their companies it seems that most are doing so because that company footed all or a good portion of the bill for grad school and they would have to pay it back if they leave. Even in those cases the people still plan to leave when that time is up because instead of getting a promotion to try to keep these driven individuals that tried to better themselves, the company will use this strangle hold they have to not promote these people and try to wring every last bit of productivity out of them while they are being held captive. That doesn't seem like the best way to go about this. Why pay for school if you don't plan to utilize the employee in the future? Most companies seem to structure it so you almost always come out better if you jump ship.

When I started this little education adventure I figured the chances were very good that I would stay with my company. Now as it moves closer to the time where I will be getting offers, it seems like the chances are extremely slim. It seems sad that I have to start over somewhere else to get what I am worth.

Anyways, that is my little rant. I am sure there are exceptions out there but from where I stand it looks like they are extremely rare. It just seems like corporate America could do better.

Last edited by 44Runner; 10-02-2019 at 05:09 PM.
44Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 691314
Maybe you’re not as valuable as you think.
Gunwalls_Buckthorne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 860898
Did you type all that while youíre supposed to be working?
Jackie Treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 685122
Quit posting on Social Media and get your ass back to work!
TheCopperCowboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 188882
i bet the guy that fixes all your mistakes will get the promotion

edit: made a mistake, no promotion for me...

Last edited by arickvan; 10-02-2019 at 05:18 PM.
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 619097
Companies don't promote people, people promote themselves.
#1SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Current employer may not think you are best and brightest. Alternatively, a masters degree does not make a current employee more valuable.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunwalls_Buckthorne View Post
Maybe youíre not as valuable as you think.
Maybe I'm not. But I know that at least some of my classmates must be and the problem is pervasive.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
Did you type all that while youíre supposed to be working?
I didn't, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCopperCowboy2 View Post
Quit posting on Social Media and get your ass back to work!
My ass is at work. I posted this from the can...
Old 10-02-2019, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Companies ARE really bad about appreciating the talent and knowledge base they have in hand. I went through this with a company in Denver in 2008. We had an Obama economy wage freeze with layoffs. Told them I will go elsewhere. Got some sympathy from my boss, but the VPs ignored me. I then wrote a short letter with 10 bullet points why I was worth what I was being paid, plus the salary increase that was promised to me, in writing when I took the job. Gave it to my boss who then gave it to the VPs in a meeting. I got my raise+ and another raise for a fellow employee. My boss told me, it was the PROOF where I saved them over $800,000 a year just alone in service calls that rang the bell. The service techs they used to get had to fly in from Grand Rapids, MI.

So, it's not what you know, but what you can prove.

Prove it to them.

Last edited by Shadow man; 10-02-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Most places are like that these days. I made no bones about some huge issues that would be easy fixes that were ignored causing me to be looking for greener pastures long before leaving my last job. Not a peep was heard until I gave notice when they asked me why I was leaving. WTF? Seriously? Now that I'm gone they raised the pay 20% and started fixing the issues. They have my brother helping them out now because they needed someone that knew how to do everything on the farm. Funny, they had one, but I left in May.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
In a lot of cases, it comes down to money... and some companies play the 'close enough but diverse' game... or even the 'not even in the same ballpark but diverse'.

In the past, I got to watch a company play this game... going from keeping 'the best' to 'we have to meet diversity goals'. I was lucky to get out but the company started having issues meeting milestones since they started the 'not even the same ballpark but diverse' game.

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 105362
From my point of view, this isn't an uncommon theme. You start to feel like you're always judged based on who you were when hired, not who you've grown into when applying for jobs inside your current company. Meanwhile, the mid-career guy coming from outside the company represents an unknown that seems to have an allure.

It's also human nature to take what you have for granted. Your current company has you doing a job that supposedly needs done. Having you move to a new higher paid job represents a risk on both you doing your new job, and your replacement doing your old job. Short term thinking says that's double the headache now.

You have a duty to yourself to grow your career and move down the path that works best for you.
krugford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Are you a black belt yet? Because if you were a black belt with appropriate clipboard and backpack, you wouldn't be having any of these problems.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Quote:
Originally Posted by arickvan View Post
i bet the guy that fixes all your mistakes will get the promotion

edit: made a mistake, no promotion for me...
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy View Post
Companies don't promote people, people promote themselves.
I agree 100%. The problem is that the way things work, it makes this much easier to do with a new company than with my current one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Current employer may not think you are best and brightest. Alternatively, a masters degree does not make a current employee more valuable.
My big boss says I am, his boss says the same thing. Are they blowing smoke up my ass? Possibly.

While I tend to agree with you that a degree doesn't automatically make someone more valuable, I can say that this one has opened the door to jobs that list it as a requirement. These jobs will immediately boost my pay by 17-20% and after 2 years they will almost double my current pay which is already in the 6 figures. I could easily be even more valuable to my current company if given the opportunity. I can not showcase that value in my current position. I have learned quite a bit that would be helpful to my employer but I can't do anything with it unless I get promoted.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 377
You've been there 16 years. They probably think you're a lifer and bluffing. Fuck 'em. Get a better offer and take it.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man View Post
Companies ARE really bad about appreciating the talent and knowledge base they have in hand. I went through this with a company in Denver in 2008. We had an Obama economy wage freeze with layoffs. Told them I will go elsewhere. Got some sympathy from my boss, but the VPs ignored me. I then wrote a short letter with 10 bullet points why I was worth what I was being paid, plus the salary increase that was promised to me, in writing when I took the job. Gave it to my boss who then gave it to the VPs in a meeting. I got my raise+ and another raise for a fellow employee. My boss told me, it was the PROOF where I saved them over $800,000 a year just alone in service calls that rang the bell. The service techs they used to get had to fly in from Grand Rapids, MI.

So, it's not what you know, but what you can prove.

Prove it to them.
I actually went into my boss' office with a presentation one time about why I deserve a raise. He agreed, took it to his boss and he agreed as well. I ended up getting myself and everyone in my position a little 6k bump in pay. Ironically everyone I talked to at work said I was wasting my time, they would never give me more money just because I asked for it. Those are the same people that benefited from the pay increase and my hard work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugford View Post
From my point of view, this isn't an uncommon theme. You start to feel like you're always judged based on who you were when hired, not who you've grown into when applying for jobs inside your current company. Meanwhile, the mid-career guy coming from outside the company represents an unknown that seems to have an allure.

It's also human nature to take what you have for granted. Your current company has you doing a job that supposedly needs done. Having you move to a new higher paid job represents a risk on both you doing your new job, and your replacement doing your old job. Short term thinking says that's double the headache now.

You have a duty to yourself to grow your career and move down the path that works best for you.
^This guy gets it. Absolutely. You are spot on in everything you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
Most places are like that these days. I made no bones about some huge issues that would be easy fixes that were ignored causing me to be looking for greener pastures long before leaving my last job. Not a peep was heard until I gave notice when they asked me why I was leaving. WTF? Seriously? Now that I'm gone they raised the pay 20% and started fixing the issues. They have my brother helping them out now because they needed someone that knew how to do everything on the farm. Funny, they had one, but I left in May.
I have a feeling this will be the same thing I experience very shortly. I had a similar experience when I left the place that I worked in high school. Yes, they depended on a high schooler enough that it made a big impact when I left.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 116537
The devil you know may be better than the devil you don’t. Why would your company want to match a new offer given you seem to like working there, comfortable, trusted—when they know you will have to re-prove yourself and work harder at the new place, and it might suck?

Maybe you’re not all that—above average, but not great—and they don’t want to rock the boat. They pay you more and promote you and your peers think, why not me—I’m better than him? And, they all want raises and promotions because they know what you suck at. This happens all the time in my business. Kids get the grad degree and want a premium and we see, he’s good but not great, not the guy I would pick first for promotion and his peers know it. Sorry, not worth the drama.

There’s nothing wrong with either of these points. You want the promotion and raise and willing to bust your ass to deliver, take a new job. Your current company not willing to match means they don’t think you are all that and they know you.

I match offers and even go above, but only for the very best. Otherwise, it leads to a Lake Wobegone business culture.
emiller22207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
You've been there 16 years. They probably think you're a lifer and bluffing. Fuck 'em. Get a better offer and take it.

I think you are partially right here. They pay well enough that they think they have everyone by the short and curlies and they are correct for the most part. I broke the cycle by going out and busting my butt to get the best education money can buy to try to break the cycle and open up doors that were previously closed to me. I did all of this while working more than full time. I took it all the way to my CEO to get my leave to go to school approved as well as him writing my letter of recommendation.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 143307
Take what you got or go for more. It's not your current employer's problem to try and keep you from leaving. Sounds like it won't matter to them either way soif you feel you deserve better take the risk and go for it instead of wanting your current employer to cough up.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 79509
One of my clients recently pulled an office space. Went through and let go of a bunch of top level/pay people. Most were there for 10 years or better. Hired new folk or shuffled within for less pay.

I see two options for careers:

Government or self employed. The private sector is fucked.

Last edited by Black Sheep; 10-02-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2019, 06:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiller22207 View Post
The devil you know may be better than the devil you donít. Why would your company want to match a new offer given you seem to like working there, comfortable, trustedówhen they know you will have to re-prove yourself and work harder at the new place, and it might suck?

Maybe youíre not all thatóabove average, but not greatóand they donít want to rock the boat. They pay you more and promote you and your peers think, why not meóIím better than him? And, they all want raises and promotions because they know what you suck at. This happens all the time in my business. Kids get the grad degree and want a premium and we see, heís good but not great, not the guy I would pick first for promotion and his peers know it. Sorry, not worth the drama.

Thereís nothing wrong with either of these points. You want the promotion and raise and willing to bust your ass to deliver, take a new job. Your current company not willing to match means they donít think you are all that and they know you.

I match offers and even go above, but only for the very best. Otherwise, it leads to a Lake Wobegone business culture.
All good points. I promise you I am the very best of the best but I understand your scepticism. You don't know me. Also, to be absolutely fair to my company, they probably will give me the job and title I want because I am the best. The problem is they should be moving fast to lock me in and they just aren't. By the time they get off their butt, I will likely have had to accept an offer from another company and they will have lost me. I would need something in writing to be able to turn down an offer that will be in writing.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
One of my clients recently pulled an office space. Went through and let go of a bunch of top level/pay people. Most were there for 10 years or better. Hired new folk or shuffled within for less pay.

Publicly traded private sector, I 100% agree. If I can help it, I'll never hear the words "shareholder value" in the workplace ever again.

Currently working my ass off trying to get my own business up and running. Just landed distribution for all of Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona so fingers crossed I can get this thing going strong enough soon to step away from the day job and make my dream side project the full time bread winner.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughBowtieTruck View Post
Take what you got or go for more. It's not your current employer's problem to try and keep you from leaving. Sounds like it won't matter to them either way soif you feel you deserve better take the risk and go for it instead of wanting your current employer to cough up.
I have no problem leaving. If I get the offer I feel like I will get, leaving is probably the right call. My rant is mainly on why companies would want jumping ship to be the norm? It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post

I have a side hustle. It doesn't make all that much money but the IRS taxed me for 47k of income off it last year. If things go South with my current day job (say they found out I have already accepted another job in November that starts in the summer but am biding my time until May to actually quit) it might become my main source of income for a few months.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
All good points. I promise you I am the very best of the best but I understand your scepticism. You don't know me. Also, to be absolutely fair to my company, they probably will give me the job and title I want because I am the best. The problem is they should be moving fast to lock me in and they just aren't. By the time they get off their butt, I will likely have had to accept an offer from another company and they will have lost me. I would need something in writing to be able to turn down an offer that will be in writing.
I get being confident, but make sure confidence doesn't cross over into cockiness. This post seems like it's well into cocky territory. You're not currently holding any of these amazing offers you're certain are soon to be piling in so I wouldn't overplay my current hand just yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in