Thank you PG&E - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 05:11 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 152210
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
So tell your son to get a job inspecting power lines instead of a college degree. Just because the kid is depressed doesn't mean he can't do a job. I'm sure you son would love inspecting power lines all year long and the other shit duties his friend gets to deal with.
the kid is not someone that anyone would rely upon... he is STILL using LOTS of drugs and jokes about it... my son got his welding cert in high school, but likes school and does well. He might like inspecting lines for awhile, but I think his interests exceed that.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
my son's friend from high school who had to drop out of Cal Poly for drug and depression problems... is a PGE inspector today. My son is a senior in college.

This is the level of bullshit this all is...
Youre a whole different level of complete fucking retard.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:28 PM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
you guys that say its not windy should probably go back outside and check again, its been pretty windy here for several hours, not consistent wind but lots of real strong gusts

id say pg&e turning the power off was smart not dumb but thats just me, not really a fan of fires and people burning to death
wind has not topped 10 mph all day
temp never got over 66
humidity has been between 31% and 34%
(I have a weather station so accurate numbers)

the local Safeway is getting ready to throw out a lot of food as they cannot keep all the freezers running on generators
The Forest Service is continuing to do control burns up the mountain as well

currently, there is zero reason the power should have been shut off
there is no wind
there is no high temps
there is no low humidity
turning the power off in this area was a bad decision at this time

FWIW
I am fine with no power. we plan for it all the time in winter and enjoy it.
but there should be a good and sound reason for turning it off, and a better plan for turning it back on in a reasonable amount of time
Old 10-09-2019, 06:26 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 69633
Location: I live in my body: On the land near Paradise Township, Jefferson State, not by choice.
Holiday Market just closed because they lost their generator to another store or some shit like that.

But one of the employees said they are going to bring in ice, as if to say no worries.

To put my pov out there about cutting the trees.

I'm all in favor of cutting the trees back for the safe passage of the power lines.

I'm always saying yes cut the trees if pge determine that it makes it safer, I'm in no way a tree hugger.

Last edited by ParadiseAutoElectric; 10-09-2019 at 06:42 PM.
ParadiseAutoElectric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Meh. Late last year, kcra (a local news station) was doing a story about pg&e. It was supposed to be about the diminished infrastructure of pg&e. They were talking to a customer of the electric company sly park area. The guy would not let pg&e cut the trees to protect the power lines. The property owner cited that he moved up there for the trees and what comes along with them. He did not however, talk about how much he enjoyed the electricity that he for so long had taken advantage of.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 3132
That guy probably has no power and is thinking about trimming his trees. Gets pretty cold up there. Hopefully he believes in burning fire wood.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #82 (permalink)

Member # 62884
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLES View Post
... They were talking to a customer of the electric company sly park area. The guy would not let pg&e cut the trees to protect the power lines.....
there is so much misinformation out there.

yes there are some that don't want anything cut, but I haven't met them. Most people are in favor of reasonable trimming or removing of the trees. they key word is reasonable.
They marked Sly Park Road like it was going to be a clear cut. both sides of the road, any tree marked to be removed. 5 foot diameter, 200 year old Ponderosa, big yellow X on it even though it is farther than required and no danger to the lines.
...Reasonable....
PG&E is required by law to have only 4 feet of clearance from the conductors.
PG&E is allowed to choose any amount of clearance above that
PG&E has chosen 12 feet "and to the sky" as their requirement, most do not have an issue with that. ("to the sky" means no branches in that 12 foot zone no matter how high above the conductor)

the biggest complaint is trees outside of that zone that are considered a potential hazard even though they are farther from the conductors.

Oak
any oak within striking distance is a big target. 82 foot tree, 75 feet from the line, they want it gone. they are the worst for breaking anytime during the year

Cedar
some areas they treat almost like they do Oak. though Cedar is a weaker tree, it is snow that brings them down, not wind

Ponderosa
anything outside the 12 foot zone should be left unless it is unhealthy, split or defective. they do not loose branches easily and will break long before the blow over in most conditions. very deep rooted.

Fir
similar to Ponderosa as far as hazard to wires. not deep rooted but normally only blow down in winter when soil is saturated

FWIW
PG&E does not determine what trees to cut, nor do they cut them.
they contract with a company to evaluate and marked the trees, and a separate company with be the ones to remove the trees.

Last edited by WLDWUN; 10-09-2019 at 07:27 PM.
WLDWUN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDWUN View Post

yes there are some that don't want anything cut, but I haven't met them. Most people are in favor of reasonable trimming or removing of the trees. they key word is reasonable.
They marked Sly Park Road like it was going to be a clear cut. both sides of the road, any tree marked to be removed. 5 foot diameter, 200 year old Ponderosa, big yellow X on it even though it is farther than required and no danger to the lines.
...Reasonable....
PG&E has chosen 12 feet "and to the sky" as their requirement, most do not have an issue with that. ("to the sky" means no branches in that 12 foot zone no matter how high above the conductor)

the biggest complaint is trees outside of that zone that are considered a potential hazard even though they are farther from the conductors.

Oak
any oak within striking distance is a big target. 82 foot tree, 75 feet from the line, they want it gone. they are the worst for breaking anytime during the year

Cedar
some areas they treat almost like they do Oak. though Cedar is a weaker tree, it is snow that brings them down, not wind

Ponderosa
anything outside the 12 foot zone should be left unless it is unhealthy, split or defective. they do not loose branches easily and will break long before the blow over in most conditions. very deep rooted.

Fir
similar to Ponderosa as far as hazard to wires. not deep rooted but normally only blow down in winter when soil is saturated

FWIW
they contract with a company to evaluate and marked the trees, and a separate company with be the ones to remove the trees.
The dude said it on live television.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Even my pge neighbor waited until it lit his palm tree on fire before calling smud
Old 10-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #85 (permalink)
Baconologyst

Member # 32029
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
Tonight, the Purge will start at midnight.
Can we postpone this until tomorrow night?

Tomorrow is my Friday, and I need fuel for the tractor
Old 10-09-2019, 08:00 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 3132
And anyways. You are Pollock pines. How would sly park look if not looking clear cut? Those houses are 20 feet from the road.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 166307
I had a pole truck parked across the street idling for 4 hours running up the hour meter today.
Easy way to prove they were out working??
Old 10-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb 017 View Post
I had a pole truck parked across the street idling for 4 hours running up the hour meter today.
Easy way to prove they were out working??
I guess they have been having pge trucks light fires. Probably regen on their trucks
Old 10-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 588361
Quote:

FWIW
The contract foresters plan the work based on PG&Es scope of work. Trimmers cut based on the planned work.

More legislation approved last week...
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201920200SB247
TexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 08:52 PM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 1760
In other news,.....California single handedly destroys earth with a million little co2 generators during power outages.......
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
wind has not topped 10 mph all day
temp never got over 66
humidity has been between 31% and 34%
(I have a weather station so accurate numbers)

the local Safeway is getting ready to throw out a lot of food as they cannot keep all the freezers running on generators
The Forest Service is continuing to do control burns up the mountain as well

currently, there is zero reason the power should have been shut off
there is no wind
there is no high temps
there is no low humidity
turning the power off in this area was a bad decision at this time

FWIW
I am fine with no power. we plan for it all the time in winter and enjoy it.
but there should be a good and sound reason for turning it off, and a better plan for turning it back on in a reasonable amount of time
yea they just turned it off for fun and or to make a point
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 PM   #92 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
the kid is not someone that anyone would rely upon... he is STILL using LOTS of drugs and jokes about it... my son got his welding cert in high school, but likes school and does well. He might like inspecting lines for awhile, but I think his interests exceed that.
Your son has a high school welding certification, college credits, no job, and a dad talking shit about his friends online.

His friend has a job with the power company offering advancement within the company.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:35 PM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 53528
this thread got way better for myself i just got home from moving a 100ft pine out of the middle of the road blocking both lanes, neighbor called and said they couldnt get home

nope no wind
Old 10-09-2019, 11:09 PM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:

...Reasonable....

Oak

Cedar

Ponderosa

Fir

FWIW
I'm in this field also, running equipment picking up what was cut. I'd agree that most are reasonable, but plenty of people are not. Lots of laughable note in collector from the pi's.

I agree with most of what you said except the Ponderosas. I grew up with a step dad who owned a tree business. Almost ever time I can remember going to a call where a tree blew over, it was a Ponderosa that up rooted.

On the other side, it's pretty unrealistic to cut every Ponderosa that can reach the lines in devolped areas like paradise where it seems like every tree in town could hit a line if it fell.

We've also had pi's mark trees with a big x that only need a trim. Not sure where they find some of those guys
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 02:02 AM   #95 (permalink)

Member # 684778
Quote:
this thread got way better for myself i just got home from moving a 100ft pine out of the middle of the road blocking both lanes, neighbor called and said they couldnt get home

nope no wind
In Eldorado county the wind is starting to pick up now, but for the last 21 hours there was NO Wind.

PG&E should of waited in this area until Wednesday evening instead of Yesterday at 3:30 AM - They have a weather station in our neighborhood and the anemometer wasn't even moving until late tonight... So WTF is the weather station for if they don't use the data from it
mountain-dweller- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 02:40 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain-dweller- View Post
In Eldorado county the wind is starting to pick up now, but for the last 21 hours there was NO Wind.

PG&E should of waited in this area until Wednesday evening instead of Yesterday at 3:30 AM - They have a weather station in our neighborhood and the anemometer wasn't even moving until late tonight... So WTF is the weather station for if they don't use the data from it
maybe perhaps because the data they use to FORECAST the weather indicated that it would be windy, but ended up not being windy?

do you really think the weather forecast is always 100% spot on?

do you think pg&e should wait until AFTER it gets windy to shut the power off?

considering that 86 fucking people just died last year pg&e shouldnt err on the side of caution?

i hope they keep doing this just to keep annoying all you whiny cunts
Old 10-10-2019, 03:02 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 684778
Quote:
maybe perhaps because the data they use to FORECAST the weather indicated that it would be windy, but ended up not being windy?

do you really think the weather forecast is always 100% spot on?

do you think pg&e should wait until AFTER it gets windy to shut the power off?

considering that 86 fucking people just died last year pg&e shouldnt err on the side of caution?

i hope they keep doing this just to keep annoying all you whiny cunts
So they wasted their money on a PSPS Weather station and don't use it, and the Forest Service has been performing a controlled burn up until 1 PM today!

Guess the Forest Service has better forecasts or uses real time weather data unlike PG&E which installed the weather stations that supply real time data and they don't use for their decisions.

They can see on the weather station the wind start to pick up and send a command to the remote controlled contactor in less than a minute then off goes that grid. I know a lot more about their system than you likely do!

I have been in the IBEW for many years and have worked with said equipment

edit: Cal-Fire did not go on high alert until late this afternoon also, obviously in "My Area" they could have waited until Wednesday afternoon like USFS and Cal-Fire did

Last edited by mountain-dweller-; 10-10-2019 at 03:08 AM.
mountain-dweller- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 05:42 AM   #98 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
I'll tell you it's not done by helicopter.
some may, but not all.
Copy, seems labor intensive.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 06:05 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Strange thread is strange.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 102813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Strange thread is strange.
But it has been entertaining to some degree.

[COLOR="Lime"]The good guys...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]Marlin Crawler, Hellfire Fabworks, Dave'z Offroad, gearinstalls.com (Zuk), Diamond Axle, RADesigns, Advanced Adapters, Jantz Engineering, G-Fab motorsports, Got Propane, JHF [/COLOR]
Mr Stubs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in