Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   White House 'will not co-operate with impeachment inquiry' (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2690010)

ukjeeper 10-09-2019 04:02 AM

White House 'will not co-operate with impeachment inquiry'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49981806

The White House has officially refused to co-operate with the impeachment inquiry against President Donald Trump.

A letter sent to Democratic leaders rejected it as "baseless" and "constitutionally invalid".

Three Democratic-led House committees are investigating Mr Trump.

The inquiry is trying to find out if the president held back aid to Ukraine to push it to investigate Joe Biden, who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The White House letter comes hours after the Trump administration blocked the US ambassador to the European Union from appearing before a congressional impeachment investigation.

What does the letter say?
White House counsel Pat Cipollone addressed the eight-page letter to the leading Democrat and House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, and the three chairmen of the Democratic committees.

He accused the leaders of setting up an inquiry that "violates fundamental fairness and constitutionally mandated due process".

The letter insisted that, because Democrats did not hold a vote on launching impeachment proceedings in the House, the inquiry was not "constitutionally invalid".

Mr.RatBastard 10-09-2019 04:55 AM

They are correct. Thats why Trump dared them to take a vote on the inquiry. They dont want to because then Trump has rights to help his defense and they may not get the votes needed. To be accurate Trump wont co-operate with Palosi, Schif scam. They are the ones not following procedure and Trump would be a fool to play along and not point it out.
Once again he is calling out people which makes him seam unpresidential making some people uncomfortable( they prefer lies that make them warm and fuzzy) fixing shit is hard just like China. This should have been the norm over the last 25 years then the corruption wouldnt be so prevalent.

Landslide 10-09-2019 05:11 AM

WH wants to drag it out also. All the Dems running are senators and if this gets into next year, they’ll have to stop campaigning to deal with this shit. They can’t do both.

IEATRKS84 10-09-2019 05:45 AM

why didnt they just vote to start impeachment inquiry formally? Oh because it might hurt swing state votes and reps in purple states. Oh and they might not have the votes.

"But lets just do it anyways, regardless of its constitutionality. how dare he not cooperate! " - nancy pelosi

ADChevy4x4 10-09-2019 05:49 AM

Certainly an issue for the lawyers to argue...It may go to the Supreme Court....I was in college when Nixon went down..The media blitz on Nixon was very similar to this Trump situation, you can't appreciate it unless you were there at the time...

Benzz0 10-09-2019 06:06 AM

And the WH should not cooperate. NAncy and Schiff need to follow due process and STFU or get the votes for it. Until then, fuck off cunt :rofl:

rugger 10-09-2019 06:23 AM

So, what the dems did was unconstitutional? Uh, that means "illegal", right?

Landslide 10-09-2019 06:26 AM

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...y-with-inquiry

ckupq 10-09-2019 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landslide (Post 44636338)

I don't know how I feel about this. On one side I'm like "Oh shit Trump got someone worth a shit. Maybe he'll be like Mattis and reign in Trump a bit so the news don't have so many talking points." on the other side I'm like "This guy is Rand Paul lite, at most he'll be a stopper, at best he'll just be a didntdonuffin."

SanDiegoCJ 10-09-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard (Post 44636278)
They are correct. Thats why Trump dared them to take a vote on the inquiry. They dont want to because then Trump has rights to help his defense and they may not get the votes needed. To be accurate Trump wont co-operate with Palosi, Schif scam. They are the ones not following procedure and Trump would be a fool to play along and not point it out.
Once again he is calling out people which makes him seam unpresidential making some people uncomfortable( they prefer lies that make them warm and fuzzy) fixing shit is hard just like China. This should have been the norm over the last 25 years then the corruption wouldnt be so prevalent.

Depends on who you talk to. Each side is claiming they're correct. The "rules" on this are NOT cut and dried, no matter how much each side screams they are. That's why I see this ending up in the court system, which will drag this out, time wise.

Filthy McChevy 10-09-2019 06:56 AM

Burn him he's a witch!

Juztyn00 10-09-2019 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ (Post 44636380)
Depends on who you talk to. Each side is claiming they're correct. The "rules" on this are NOT cut and dried, no matter how much each side screams they are. That's why I see this ending up in the court system, which will drag this out, time wise.

Trump is demanding they take the same steps that were taken in Nixon's and Clinton's impeachments as are precedent. It takes all of congress to impeach by a majority vote. Pelosi and Schiff can't do it by themselves. Trump just called their bluff and said the WH is done playing games with them looking for a crime, any crime. Impeach or get off the pot.

Texas97 10-09-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 (Post 44636300)
Certainly an issue for the lawyers to argue...It may go to the Supreme Court....I was in college when Nixon went down..The media blitz on Nixon was very similar to this Trump situation, you can't appreciate it unless you were there at the time...

oh yes, that horrid 1970s media blitz, 3 channels with news on for an hour each day. How did you guys ever avoid the overload??

mrboyle 10-09-2019 07:23 AM

Just saw CNN's headline on this, "Trump administration declares war on impeachment process and Constitution."

billdacat 10-09-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas97 (Post 44636426)
oh yes, that horrid 1970s media blitz, 3 channels with news on for an hour each day. How did you guys ever avoid the overload??

We didn't have this internet thingy....:homer:

SanDiegoCJ 10-09-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juztyn00 (Post 44636424)
Trump is demanding they take the same steps that were taken in Nixon's and Clinton's impeachments as are precedent. It takes all of congress to impeach by a majority vote. Pelosi and Schiff can't do it by themselves. Trump just called their bluff and said the WH is done playing games with them looking for a crime, any crime. Impeach or get off the pot.

No, it takes the house to impeach. Nixon was never impeached, he resigned first. To convict in the senate is not a "majority vote", it's 2/3. Pelosi is claiming that "house rules" don't require a full house vote to investigate. Both sides have their arguments and all the pissing matches aren't going to get a resolution. That's why I believe it'll end up in the courts.

SanDiegoCJ 10-09-2019 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 (Post 44636300)

Yup. The media feeding frenzy was something to behold.

ADChevy4x4 10-09-2019 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas97 (Post 44636426)

Like I said,if you were not there, you have no clue....The media coverage may seem limited to you with an Internet point of view, but it was the only news available then ,but still occupied most every discussion especially with students...And before the internet many discussions were done in real life and you debated face to face.....Nixon raged on and on about being railroaded but was slowly ground down until he bailed out...Obviously his cover up of crimes was more "illegal" than what Trump supposedly did......

Texas97 10-09-2019 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ADChevy4x4 (Post 44636478)
Like I said,if you were not there, you have no clue....The media coverage may seem limited to you with an Internet point of view, but it was the only news available then ,but still occupied most every discussion especially with students...And before the internet many discussions were done in real life and you debated face to face.....Nixon raged on and on about being railroaded but was slowly ground down until he bailed out...Obviously his cover up of crimes was more "illegal" than what Trump supposedly did......

dont confuse the dominance of popular culture and relevant conversations with what you were claiming to be "media blitz". Regardless of the internet, CNN in the 90s spawned the 24 hour news cycle and now you have multiple cable news channels, satellite radio, with constant opinion reporting and propaganda to sway public opinion.

so, while it may have been on every channel back in the 70s, your media intake was 3 channels, the national and local newspapers, and possibly one AM radio station, depending on what city you lived in.

compared to today, the media blitz from then was minuscule.

Mr.RatBastard 10-09-2019 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ (Post 44636380)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard (Post 44636278)

Your're right, evidently the House can make up their own rules as they go. I think Trump wants it to end up in the courts and Nancy and Schiff do not.

SanDiegoCJ 10-09-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard (Post 44636546)
Your're right, evidently the House can make up their own rules as they go. I think Trump wants it to end up in the courts and Nancy and Schiff do not.

That's basically it.

Mattafact 10-09-2019 08:47 AM

It's highly unlikely enough Senate republicans will vote to remove him leaving this entire mess as a very expensive censure vote from the House.

jcd1026 10-09-2019 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard (Post 44636546)

It certainly seems that way.

Technohead 10-09-2019 09:15 AM

Why should they cooperate?

Norm 10-09-2019 09:19 AM

It's obviously a partisan which hunt, I predict this ends badly for Pelosi and the Dems. Trump is a master troll, and is probably baiting the Dems into a trap with every move.