Diminished value on car after wreck - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #26 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonohue15 View Post
Because someone wants to be compensated for their loss?
Because idiots think it's impossible to repair things properly and bigger idiots defend them.

And this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Insurance rates are so high because of all the government and market mandated bullshit that has to be crammed into vehicles these days that costs a fortune to fix. Shit like $1,200 headlamps, aluminum body panels that can't be fixed, crush zones that mangle the vehicle when a stronger design would shrug off a light hit, airbags everywhere that cost a fortune, destroy interior panels and have not choice but to be replaced when deployed, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose818 View Post
percieved? There is absolutely no way to match paint 100%. I personally will not buy a car that has different shade in color somewhere. The cars value is never the same, period. Even worse if you have a used car with more faded paint, and a fresh painted door or fender.

Cant believe this is even a question on an auto enthusiast forun
It's a car, not a museum piece. Just because you are anal about paint than 99.999% of the driving population does not mean we should all pay for it. This is an enthusiast forum where we run our shit hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Cant tell you how many cars I appraised that were "fixed" but were obviously fucked at some point. I bought a truck at below value the other day for this very reason. It was wrecked at 6 months old and fixed by the dealer with oe parts. 5 years and 100k later you could tell what was replaced. Paint wasnt matched, mismatched bolts, plastic bits broken, etc. .
That's a problem between the insurance co and the repair shop.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 10-15-2019 at 06:28 AM.
arse_sidewards is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 06:34 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 514546
Reply to arse_sidewards

Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
It's a car, not a museum piece.
Maybe you drive a junker. Most of us drive late-model cars that have value. If you and your junker crash into my $50,000 car and after repairs my dealer tells me he will only give me $30,000 because of the accident history, you bet that I'll be coming after you for compensation. If you ever buy a new car and the same circumstances occur, you'll be the one looking to be reimbursed for that diminished value. ANYONE who says different is a liar.
MyWifeAndI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 06:42 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Because idiots think it's impossible to repair things properly and bigger idiots defend them.
because idiots pull a car fax and see an accident and think the car is worth less because that's what an entire industry ad campaign tells them.

it doesn't matter how the market gets there, the market for a car with an accident/repair on it's record is less than one without.

that's the bottom line.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyWifeAndI View Post
Maybe you drive a junker. Most of us drive late-model cars that have value. If you and your junker crash into my $50,000 car and after repairs my dealer tells me he will only give me $30,000 because of the accident history, you bet that I'll be coming after you for compensation. If you ever buy a new car and the same circumstances occur, you'll be the one looking to be reimbursed for that diminished value. ANYONE who says different is a liar.
Many of us will drive that 50k+ vehicle until it is worth 10k when it wonít matter if it was in an accident 10 years prior.

But in your case, yes it is not unreasonable to expect compensation for the loss of value.

You sound a little too proud of yourself for buying a new car in this post. Most of us can put ourselves deep into debt for a depreciating asset.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #30 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18977
Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Quote:
Unfortunately, cars are like a piece of paper, once it's crunched, it can't be perfect again. Bodyshop did some work on my car when it got hit while parked ( ) and while they did a really good job of blending the paint, you can still tell there was work done. Well, I can, and when I point it out to people that initially couldn't see it, they can't unsee it either.

Lots of people getting hung up on the depreciating asset part, but completely avoiding the fact that the fuckup on one person's part greatly accelerates that depreciating curve.

All of course, which could be eliminated if people paid the fuck attention while driving in the first place. You could save a hell of a lot on your insurance if you didn't hit people to begin with

It's a respect issue. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Would you tell your Grandmother to go suck a big black cock, just because you could? [/QUOTE]
Otto Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
the market for a car with an accident/repair on it's record is less than one without.

that's the bottom line.
/thread

The rest doesn't really matter.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 22595
Send a message via AIM to TOAdisco311
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Many of us will drive that 50k+ vehicle until it is worth 10k when it won’t matter if it was in an accident 10 years prior.

But in your case, yes it is not unreasonable to expect compensation for the loss of value.

You sound a little too proud of yourself for buying a new car in this post. Most of us can put ourselves deep into debt for a depreciating asset.
I’ve had jobs where I’ve received a hefty truck allowance. However they required the vehicle to be a certain age for “reliability” reasons. I don’t really agree with that policy but if you drive a lot it doesn’t take awhile to rack up some miles and then trade it in. I can definitely see how the depreciation can screw people. Some people can’t run a vehicle for 10 plus years. This is the main reason why I prefer a company truck now. I’ll let them pay for the fuel/maintenance and depreciation. Companies have fallen behind with the vehicle compensation, especially when they require a 4x4 truck

Last edited by TOAdisco311; 10-15-2019 at 07:56 AM.
TOAdisco311 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 514546
Quote:
Many of us will drive that 50k+ vehicle until it is worth 10k when it wonít matter if it was in an accident 10 years prior.

LOL, I drive a 1997 Silverado and my backup is a stick shift 2007 Accord.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #34 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
People who buy new cars are fucktards... /thread.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:12 AM   #35 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18977
Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
People who rear end other people are fucktards... /thread.

Fixed

It's a respect issue. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Would you tell your Grandmother to go suck a big black cock, just because you could? [/QUOTE]
Otto Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
People who buy new cars are fucktards... /thread.

What a well thought out and intelligent post.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 110516
One of my friends was in a pretty bad accident (off center head-on, not his fault) in a new Super Duty. Took it to the Ford dealer to be repaired. He told the Ford dealer that if they did not total it, he was trading it in to that dealer as soon as it got out of the repair shop. The dealer agreed to this in writing. He made the dealer give him a written trade in price before they appraised the truck for repair. It was a fair market trade in for a truck with no accidents.

The dealer should have totalled the truck, but they elected to repair instead. Repair costs far exceeded the value of the truck once they got it all apart. After it was completed, my friend walked to sales to trade it in on a different truck, written agreement and quote in hand. The dealer told him they would not accept that truck on trade. After reviewing the agreement the dealer had already made with him, they offered him several thousand less than what he was quoted prior to the repairs because now the truck had been in a major accident with frame damage (they really didn't want a truck that they had repaired on their lot ). He traded the truck in and took the original quote and the actual trade in value to the other driver's insurance company and was paid the difference in price as compensation for diminished value.

Pretty fucking cut and dry that he should be (and was) compensated for diminished value. You idiots saying diminished value isn't real and shouldn't be compensated aren't living in the real world.

Last edited by KDXSR5; 10-15-2019 at 08:42 AM.
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #38 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Quote:
LOL, I drive a 1997 Silverado and my backup is a stick shift 2007 Accord.
Oh sorry. When you said you had a $50,000 car, I thought you were saying you had a $50,000 car. My mistake
Old 10-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwenil View Post
Insurance rates are so high because of all the government and market mandated bullshit that has to be crammed into vehicles these days that costs a fortune to fix. Shit like $1,200 headlamps, aluminum body panels that can't be fixed, crush zones that mangle the vehicle when a stronger design would shrug off a light hit, airbags everywhere that cost a fortune, destroy interior panels and have not choice but to be replaced when deployed, etc.
The vehicle would shrug off a light hit but that energy would be transferred to the occupants thus increasing the chance of life altering injuries.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #40 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOffroader View Post
The vehicle would shrug off a light hit but that energy would be transferred to the occupants thus increasing the chance of life altering injuries.
Donít use so many big words. Elwinel has had a lot of concussions from driving old, cheap to fix dodge vehicles.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Quote:
Which would then ultimately be more expensive to compensate than just totalling out a crumpled vehicle. I don't know why this stuff is so hard to comprehend for some on here.
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 34347
Quote:
Donít use so many big words. Elwinel has had a lot of concussions from driving old, cheap to fix dodge vehicles.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDXSR5 View Post
One of my friends was in a pretty bad accident (off center head-on, not his fault) in a new Super Duty. Took it to the Ford dealer to be repaired. He told the Ford dealer that if they did not total it, he was trading it in to that dealer as soon as it got out of the repair shop. The dealer agreed to this in writing. He made the dealer give him a written trade in price before they appraised the truck for repair. It was a fair market trade in for a truck with no accidents.

The dealer should have totalled the truck, but they elected to repair instead. Repair costs far exceeded the value of the truck once they got it all apart. After it was completed, my friend walked to sales to trade it in on a different truck, written agreement and quote in hand. The dealer told him they would not accept that truck on trade. After reviewing the agreement the dealer had already made with him, they offered him several thousand less than what he was quoted prior to the repairs because now the truck had been in a major accident with frame damage (they really didn't want a truck that they had repaired on their lot ). He traded the truck in and took the original quote and the actual trade in value to the other driver's insurance company and was paid the difference in price as compensation for diminished value.

Pretty fucking cut and dry that he should be (and was) compensated for diminished value. You idiots saying diminished value isn't real and shouldn't be compensated aren't living in the real world.
My friend repaired a corvette at the dealership body shop. Car was brand new. Guy got rear ended. Instead of totaling the car they chose to have it repaired. GM paid my friend to go to school so he could weld to the aluminum subframe. Repair bill was over $46,000.

Last edited by Aisin; 10-15-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Aisin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 41063
I don't want to be President.

As for injuries, it can be taken too far. I'm not saying we need full frames and metal dashes again, but all this stuff to make you "safe" is only making people too stupid to fend for themselves. Blind spot detection? Sure, it's useful but now you are going to have a whole generation of people who don't look in their mirrors and just change lanes because their car says it's ok. Safer? Maybe not. Plus in some vehicles like the Jeep Gladiator, the blind spot detection is only available with the LED tail lamps, which are ridiculously expensive to replace. Automated cruise control systems? Yeah, I need something slamming on the brakes for me because it freaks out in fog or certain times of day when the sun is shining at an angle. I doubt any of that is going to prevent many injuries and all it does is make payments higher and insurance claims higher, and therefore insurance rates higher.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #45 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
that energy would be transferred to the occupants thus increasing the chance of life altering injuries.
Only if they're too stupid to wear seat-belts.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #46 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Only if they're too stupid to wear seat-belts.
seat belts don't magically suspend the laws of physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 02:56 PM   #47 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
seat belts don't magically suspend the laws of physics
30mph into a wall will leave you with little more than bruises if you're wearing a seatbelt.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #48 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
30mph into a wall will leave you with little more than bruises if you're wearing a seatbelt.
If you have crumple zones. If the car stays rigid you will have a really bad day.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 514546
We're in the insurance claims business so when I wrote" most of us" it was more of a reference to our clients. I should have written "most people."
Old 10-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatonkaII View Post
/thread

The rest doesn't really matter.
The new car on the lot, is worth more than the same car driving on the same property, but heading off the lot. When do we get the dealers to write us that depreciation check? Happened on their property.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in