Case 448 for snow plow duty? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 81897
My wife has a home based business so therefore we need to keep customer parking available when the snow starts flying.

My snow blower does a fine job except for the winrows left by the village plow trucks, they just plug up the chute.

Going to look at a Case 448 tomorrow. It has a mower, plow, and tire chains included.

I have no experience with this series equipment. My Home Depot JD mower is about all I have ran other than skid steers, backhoes and loaders.

Im guessing the Case 448 shouldnt have a problem with pushing (reasonable) plow winrows back away from the parking areas?

Probably just use the Case for mowing and plow duty and sell the JD (LA130)

Thanks guys.

Last edited by trailduster76; 10-13-2019 at 07:48 PM.
trailduster76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 67907
With enough weight on the back it will be fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jeepermat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
That Case is going to have hand controls for F-R and speed control. You need one hand to steer, one hand to control the plow, and one hand to control the speed. After using the foot controls of the Deere you will hate it. I had a Case 444, same tractor with smaller engine and it was the worst piece of machinery that I ever owned.
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 03:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 174037
The old case tractors are not very popular because you need 3 hands to run them, and the hydraulics leave a lot to be desired. The obvious answer is a green tractor, but green paint is very expensive. I'm a cub cadet fan myself, but there's plenty of options for old garden tractors that will do what you need.

What's your budget?
will12785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 81897
Sub $1000.

I am concerned about the speed control lever as well.

I did run across an article where someone converted theirs to a foot contol like my JD.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Sounds like a GT with a blower would suit you better.
I've got a deere 455 with a 47" blower on it and it works very well, manuverable, throws really well, foot controlled hydro, power steering.
You could find the gas version "425" with a blower and deck for $3000 or so. More than you want to spend I know but it will do what you want. Blades don't work well on GT's, they just don't have the weight to push much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 52569
Send a message via MSN to Juztyn00
Lawn tractors suck for snow removal in my opinion, Get a 4wheeler and move much faster or get a snow blower for the JD.

Last edited by Juztyn00; 10-14-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Juztyn00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sounds like a GT with a blower would suit you better.
I've got a deere 455 with a 47" blower on it and it works very well, manuverable, throws really well, foot controlled hydro, power steering.
You could find the gas version "425" with a blower and deck for $3000 or so. More than you want to spend I know but it will do what you want. Blades don't work well on GT's, they just don't have the weight to push much.
My 455 blowing snow.

https://youtu.be/UMLQh4EcO7E

Old 10-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juztyn00 View Post
Lawn tractors suck for snow removal in my opinion, Get a 4wheeler and move much faster or get a snow blower for the JD.
4 wheeler's suck almost as bad as garden tractors for anything more than plowing sidewalks. Just like lawn/garden tractors they don't weigh enough to actually move snow, especially if its wet snow. Only slight benefit the 4 wheeler has would be 4wd. I doubt the OP is going to find anything in the $1000 price range that will do what he is needing.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 86724
what about just making your snowthrower not plug up?

put rubber wipes on the impeller blades. It will not clog with the slush.
I use toro single stage impeller rubbers and cut them up and attach them with three sheetmetal screws.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 91857
Send a message via AIM to yozsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juztyn00 View Post
They do suck but suck less than an ATV IMHO. Double up on the wheel weights and chain up the rear. Tri ribs help in the front as well. I used my oh Cub cadet 100 to plow my long driveway in northern Indiana and was always faster than my neighbor with a 4wd ATV. I think it had to do with the turning radius, I could cut the front wheels way more than him. Mine was not hydrostat so I just modulated the speed with the clutch.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozsi View Post
They do suck but suck less than an ATV IMHO. Double up on the wheel weights and chain up the rear. Tri ribs help in the front as well. I used my oh Cub cadet 100 to plow my long driveway in northern Indiana and was always faster than my neighbor with a 4wd ATV. I think it had to do with the turning radius, I could cut the front wheels way more than him. Mine was not hydrostat so I just modulated the speed with the clutch.
Nothing sucks as bad as a walk behind snowblower however.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 91857
Send a message via AIM to yozsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Nothing sucks as bad as a walk behind snowblower however.
lol. i liked using mine for the walk way and small areas.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 01:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by yozsi View Post
lol. i liked using mine for the walk way and small areas.
IMHO the biggest problem with them is that they can't cut mat down so it just keeps building and building, especially if you drive on it before snowblowing. Compact tractor and skid steer mounted blowers allow you to put down pressure on the blower and cut mat as you go to keep a thin layer of mat maintained.

I suppose if you get frequent warm ups that allow the mat to melt away it wouldn't be a problem. When you get 300"+ of snow and it stays below freezing for 6-7 months like here, you can end up with a couple feet of mat with a walk behind.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 81897
Going to give the 448 a try.

Water/? Mix filled tires, a plow, chains and standard tractor style tires on the rear (as its equipped now) hopefully will be the ticket. Might have to find a set of wheel weights.

It set me back $100 for the gamble with the proceeds back from selling the LA130 and snowblower. Meh, worth a shot. I kinda like the 448 more than the 130 anyhow minus the hand lever forward/rev but its tolerable, still better than works lawn tractor with a gated forward rev on the right fender. That setup seriously sucks.

Its kinda neat, fires right up and will darn near pop a wheelie in low.

Came with a sleeve hitch as well, kinda unsure if Ill ever need it, but whatever.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailduster76 View Post
Going to give the 448 a try.

Water/? Mix filled tires, a plow, chains and standard tractor style tires on the rear (as its equipped now) hopefully will be the ticket. Might have to find a set of wheel weights.

It set me back $100 for the gamble with the proceeds back from selling the LA130 and snowblower. Meh, worth a shot. I kinda like the 448 more than the 130 anyhow minus the hand lever forward/rev but its tolerable, still better than works lawn tractor with a gated forward rev on the right fender. That setup seriously sucks.

Its kinda neat, fires right up and will darn near pop a wheelie in low.

Came with a sleeve hitch as well, kinda unsure if Ill ever need it, but whatever.
Make a weight box for the back, maybe on the sleeve hitch. Get as much weight on the rear as you can. An extra 500 lbs will make it 10x more useful. May not even have to mess with chains if you can get enough weight, though the R1's will suck on ice.

PICS!

Old 10-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 81897
Im not smart enough to figure out how to post pics sadly
Old 10-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 687834
rv antifreeze in the tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in