This is what "some rust" looks like in the UP - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2019, 02:24 PM   #51 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
how do the plastic saturns hold up in the land of salt? does the suspension just go to shit?

we had one in VA so it wasn't really tough territory. body seemed fine, but the exhaust needed some work
My brother back in WI says they hold up great to the salt, he just complains about the lack of trunk space....
Attached Images

OCD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #52 (permalink)
OCD
Wheeler

Member # 341361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
From the Toyota forum, this is an 86 out in CA.

Man, I need to find one that nice!
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po' riggity View Post
"attempting to ruin"? Have you ever lived in CA? The politics turned that state into a total shit show. I left a couple years ago after 32 years of living in CA. I'll never go back and I now live in the midwest, and deal with rust.
Rust? I got my last truck from springfield and it didn't have a spec of rust on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
how do the plastic saturns hold up in the land of salt? does the suspension just go to shit?

we had one in VA so it wasn't really tough territory. body seemed fine, but the exhaust needed some work
The plastic panels hold up great, everything they are attached to goes away and the plastic falls off like an (gmt800) avalanche.

It's the structural rust that pulls stuff off the road here, otherwise you just run it in to the ground or replace every 5 years with brand new. Stock brake lines can rust through in as little as 4 years on a new truck. A friend of my old man's sent me a picture of his sons '05 f150 draped over both sides of a two post lift when it went in for tires. The worst part is when they put it back down on the ground the frame bent back the other way and the bed hitting the cab kept it from setting all the way on the ground so they drove it home, patched it, and put it back on the road.

This summer I saw a K2xx silverado 1500 with rust holes in the rear fenders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:40 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD
My brother back in WI says they hold up great to the salt, he just complains about the lack of trunk space....
Hes doing it wrong. Strap the the deer to the hood, roof, truck lid, or ala tommy boy throw it in the backseat
Old 10-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 1515
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Rust? I got my last truck from springfield and it didn't have a spec of rust on it.

From what I can tell as long as you wash it fairly regularly here, you can avoid the rust. I've seen some vehicles that looked like a giant piles of swiss cheese rolling down the road.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethmachinefab View Post
It would be good to get the green agenda peeps to go after the salt problem. All that shit ends up in the streams and lakes. Make a mud puddle and DEC will fine you, the gov can salt the earth and nobody cares.
YES!!!

The old timers up here piss and moan about how much salt they use now. Used to just use salt to combat black ice in the shoulder seasons. During winter, snow on the roads was plowed and then sanded, worked fine, people drove a little slower. Now the state highways have to be held to "lansing standards" so they DUMP it on. County roads mostly just get plowed. Two 750' long ships worth used up in 2 small counties every year, mostly on just the state/federal highways passing through.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCD View Post
Man, I need to find one that nice!
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #59 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Fuck that truck is clean!
I wash mine regularly. They don't get rusty as fast if you're diligent. I have 2 08 2500hd's. One i drove until it had 280k on it. Rear fender finally has rust on it, but fixable. The other my fireman drives, and pieces are falling off the rear fenders lol
Old 10-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 79509
I trust no one from the north when discussing rust.

OP is a great example "just a little" shouldve been scrapped years ago. If the original brake lines dont look brand new, then its rusted. So many people try to pass off "just a bubble" or some other bullshit like its pristine.

Jeep people are the worst offenders in the south.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Quote:
It's not nearly as bad down there.
Da fuck it ain't. Some parts of the city brine at the slightest hint of a freeze.

When we moved back here, My chicks 08 Colorado had zero rust. 4 years later I'm replacing rocker panels. And we try not to drive it much in the winter. I also hose the underside down with LPS3 every year.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 19251
I had my TJ shipped over here from California knowing that it was going to die a slow rusty death.
microtus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 05:55 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 79164
Quote:
YES!!!

The old timers up here piss and moan about how much salt they use now. Used to just use salt to combat black ice in the shoulder seasons. During winter, snow on the roads was plowed and then sanded, worked fine, people drove a little slower. Now the state highways have to be held to "lansing standards" so they DUMP it on. County roads mostly just get plowed. Two 750' long ships worth used up in 2 small counties every year, mostly on just the state/federal highways passing through.

Yep I still remember growing up there, it was a lot more sand after they plowed for a little traction. Then that was mainly on corners and hills. Now here in WI they put that stupid ass brine crap down anytime there is a prediction of snow / freezing rain.

Now-a-days if the roads aren't bare after 20" of snow people are kicking / screaming / crying that enough isn't done to keep roads clear. Its more the lack of driving ability than anything. Heck I survived driving my camaro for 2 years at Michigan Tech (a lot of hills) - had good snow tires in rear with a 150lbs of sand tubes...Ö Wasn't ideal but it worked till I got my truck on the road.
Off_Road_Ram_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #64 (permalink)
finally fuckin in

Member # 232666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off_Road_Ram_01 View Post
Yep I still remember growing up there, it was a lot more sand after they plowed for a little traction. Then that was mainly on corners and hills. Now here in WI they put that stupid ass brine crap down anytime there is a prediction of snow / freezing rain.

Now-a-days if the roads aren't bare after 20" of snow people are kicking / screaming / crying that enough isn't done to keep roads clear. Its more the lack of driving ability than anything. Heck I survived driving my camaro for 2 years at Michigan Tech (a lot of hills) - had good snow tires in rear with a 150lbs of sand tubes...Ö Wasn't ideal but it worked till I got my truck on the road.
This, it's pretty bad. I wish they would just use sand, but roads have to be clear so every non driving idiot can do 80 mph to get to work on timei had a 79 Camaro with 10" wide tires on the back and pizza cutters for fronts. Went through 3 winters. Only saw one ditch because my throttle stuck. I was also playing around driving sideways at the time...i miss that car
Old 10-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #65 (permalink)
Ebs

Member # 20043
When there's areas of your truck you know not to pressure wash because it might disappear.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Meh, no different then here in the states
He is in the states. The U.P. of Mi. Jeez. I love the west. Don't have that problem. Don't miss living up there.

I just picked up a 52 Willy's Wagon that has no paint left but has no holes.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:52 PM   #67 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
Brought two TJ's from New Jersey (yeah it sucked). My 04 has some serious torque-box issues. The 06TJ is doing pretty good, but it was babied very well.
Fucking New Jersey DOT would drop tons of metal eating crap just to rake in the overtime. Fucking township plow operators would be ripping up naked pavement working overtime.
My rigs have drive-trains that have been well taken care of. They might have some miles on them, but they will get you home.

Last edited by billdacat; 10-14-2019 at 10:53 PM.
billdacat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 05:28 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 7772
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post

Why anyone would live in a salt ridden area I just don't understand. If you're into vehicles at all I'd be moving.
Quote:
Went down to check out the yearly road salt delivery yesterday and on the way saw a guy half way through swapping a new fuel pump in his 03-07 gmt800. It's his daily driver, probably has it back on the road today.

Second salt boat for the year delivering another years worth of truck cancer.
Here's an old ore boat put on salt duty. Century old hull, they last forever on the Lakes. You'll notice the overlapping plates and rivets. It's pre-welding age. The Irish can't make a rivetted boat stand up against ice, but a bunch of drunk Slavs from Great Lakes Shipbuilding can.

Drafted 25' with road salt.

See those rust streaks out of the scuppers? They rust from the inside. Kinda like Toyota frame rot. If they just carry ore, coal, and grain, they last 110+ years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Meh, no different then here in the states
Landy made a funny!

EverNoob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 05:45 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
From the Toyota forum, this is an 86 out in CA.

In 2010 I built an 88 samurai that was that clean. My "winter" car here is a 93 CC 1 ton 4x4 without 1 spec of cancer, every bit as clean.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 06:28 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 121794
Does anyone use Ziebart? Is it worth it?
Old 10-15-2019, 06:41 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonn007 View Post
Ziebart holds moisture in and will rot your vehicle even faster. My cousin has a shop spray his Dodge with New Hampshire oil undercoating twice a year. It’s similar to fluid film but holds up better. They also offer it in black if you have a rusty piece piece of shit and clear for cleaner vehicles.

Last edited by Aisin; 10-15-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 80349
Quote:
My jeep had it when I bought it. Moisture got under it and rusted everything. I was peeling it off and it took layers of rust with it. It's also a bitch to work on stuff with it covered in that shit.

Like I mentioned before, Fluid Film once a year before winter. One gallon is $40ish and just spray it on everything except brakes.
muddeprived is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 80349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisin View Post
Quote:
Ziebart holds moisture in and will rot your vehicle even faster. My cousin has a shop spray his Dodge with New Hampshire oil undercoating twice a year. It’s similar to fluid film but holds up better. They also offer it in black if you have a rusty piece piece of shit and clear for cleaner vehicles.
I been wanting to try that stuff but FF has been working great. Maybe next year I will use it on gf's car. I wonder if they offer anything smaller than 5 gallons.

Last edited by muddeprived; 10-15-2019 at 07:04 AM.
muddeprived is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #74 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 32585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisin View Post
Ziebart holds moisture in and will rot your vehicle even faster. My cousin has a shop spray his Dodge with New Hampshire oil undercoating twice a year. Itís similar to fluid film but holds up better. They also offer it in black if you have a rusty piece piece of shit and clear for cleaner vehicles.
Just had my truck done in NH Oil Undercoat. Good stuff. It's cheap insurance.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:04 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiTRD View Post
Just had my truck done in NH Oil Undercoat. Good stuff. It's cheap insurance.
I was gonna go that route but I said fuck the northeast. I think my cousin pays $100 for his 2017 Dodge 4 door 2500. The place he goes to sprays everything. $200 a year is very cheap insurance.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in