Highway on ramp? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2019, 08:23 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheepin View Post
I actually agree with this. If your a truck pulling a trailer trying to get up to speed. I'll adjust my speed to help you out or even move over. If your just some random idiot in a car or even a truck capable of not causing a problem. Fuck you.

The ones that just piss me off are the ones that coast down the on ramp at 35mph waiting until they actually get on the highway to take their sweet time getting up to speed. Holding up everyone behind them and causing a traffic jam. Not to mention the shit show that insures behind them as the impatient try to speed up and pass with other vehicles coming full speed on the highway.

Pretty much this.^^^
I help big rigs out and try to drive courteous. Yet if your in a car perfectly capable of getting up to speed but your too busy trying to figure out why you have a tampon behind your ear and cant find your pencil. I will hold my lane and watch you panic if I think it wont collect more than you.
I have driven too many fucking mile to be courteous to oblivious drivers. If your actually making an effort, even if itís a weak on, I will be courteous to you on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 110475
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
I want to see the 900' on-ramp.
Some of our ramps are close enough to the next off ramp the on ramp lane never ends, it just becomes the off ramp and it goes for nearly a mile in some cases. Plenty of idiots cant figure out how to get out of that lane.

I've come to the realization 99% of the public should not operate motor vehicles. I do love pushing cars onto the shoulder when they cant figure out how to merge though
Old 10-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailduster76 View Post
Its not your job to let them in, its their responsibility to merge in with traffic.
Tell the dumb fucks that.
Then explain what "merge" means to them.
You'll quickly find out you're wasting your breath interacting with them.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #54 (permalink)
BRD

Member # 74465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine4x4 View Post
Some of our ramps are close enough to the next off ramp the on ramp lane never ends, it just becomes the off ramp and it goes for nearly a mile in some cases. Plenty of idiots cant figure out how to get out of that lane.

I've come to the realization 99% of the public should not operate motor vehicles. I do love pushing cars onto the shoulder when they cant figure out how to merge though
A stretch of 101 through Thousand Oaks is like this,but shorter.(1/4 mile or less)Always a joy to drive through there.When they do realize that the onramp is now the off ramp,many of them just blast through the gore point and haul ass down the right shoulder,hoping for the best.
BRD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #55 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
I move over when possible for vehicles that are unable to get up to speed, but fuck everyone else. If I am driving my Explorer (SAS with 14" coil overs, 35" tires, gears, lockers, Atlas, plate bumpers, rock sliders, etc.) its highway cruising speed is about 60-65 MPH. I generally stay in the right lane and cruise. I have taken many long distance road to off-road to road trips in it over the 25 years I have owned it with no at-fault collisions.

I especially look out for big rigs because most of them seem to have failed their courteous driving class, and some seem to have a hard-on for RV's. If I am in any kind of traffic and driving the RV, I keep enough distance for someone to safely merge in front of me and just maintain my speed. If you are so stupid that you can't figure out how to merge, then you get squeezed out when your lane ends. I do my part to be a courteous driver, but usually only if the person deserves my courtesy by paying attention.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #56 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
The assholes who don't pull over for cops, tow trucks, or a car/ big rig on the side of the road drive me nuts. Are you that self centered that you'd rather kill a tow truck driver than move over?

I agree with the giving a guy towing or a big rig some room. I do my best to get up to speed on an on ramp when towing though my truck can't always hit the speed limit at the end of an on ramp even giving it all it's got.

I think the move over thing is also some what regional. Most of the Colorado Natives I know believe I should let them in or make a gap for them instead of them finding a hole and pulling in.
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 69594
Quote:
Originally Posted by krawlr View Post
I like the dorks with the big semi tire swirls down the side of the car standing in a ditch going WTF.
My dad had a lady just smoothly merge into the side of his Kenworth off of an on-ramp once. Paced the truck the whole way down and just moved right on over into his front wheel. She even tried to sue for damages related to her "whiplash" from a collision so severe that all it did was knock the lugnut covers off the truck.
TrikeKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 05:42 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheepin View Post
No shit. I used to do 200 miles a day round trip. Now it's 45.
No thanks.
I used to do 90. Now its about 2. So nice to not worry about road conditions, traffic, etc.
Also nice to ve able to run home to grab something.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 06:28 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 67681
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDK View Post
I especially look out for big rigs because most of them seem to have failed their courteous driving class
I give them some slack. They have to drive all day that drives me nuts being in for a half hour. I also go out of my way to help them switch lanes or merge. If I see a rig making his way across lanes and I can cross with him to block the idiots then I do. I'll take a lane and then flash him over. I know the driver's appreciate it. It may be their only act of kindness that they receive for the day. It's the least that I can do to help the guys that move product around the US on our behalf.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 2578
A guy I know was driving his 40' class A motorhome when a dolt from the right merged right across the front end of his rig. The car spun out and off the road, MH stopped. The car driver admitted it was his own fault and he never saw the MH. Never saw a 40' MH. People really do suck.

I'm travelling south in my MH right now and I think I've had 3 people zoom up the onramp at 75+ and out waaaay ahead of me, like 10+ car lengths, plenty of time to just go left and merge and haul ass. Instead they run out of ramp and jam the brakes, go off onto the shoulder rumble strips, and then disappear in my rear view mirror. Maybe they don't teach city people how to drive on a high speed road or something? I just don't get it.
Realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 98535
I see the same thing here. I'll watch them look straight forward all the way up the ramp then get surprised when someone (me) doesn't roll out the red carpet to let them in. Its gotten to the point here where no one drives in the right lane. It drives me nuts because most people get on the freeway at 55, shoot straight for the left lane, then speed up to 75+. There's one spot that only has bad traffic because there's a UTA bus that does it but takes his time to speed up. For some reason he feels he deserves to be in the left lane and doesn't care who's in his way to get there. I've seen him cut off multiple people to get there. Everyone has to brake because of him and its busy enough that it trickles down and the braking lasts for over an hour. The road is clear to do 70-75 before he gets on and barely do 55-65 after.
dentedsub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #62 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 139434
My commute through Houston is right at 70 miles thought shitty interchanges (610/45,610/59, 610/Hardy Toll, 610/10 and 610/225 and all the way down 225 to LaPorte) If they put their blinker on an I have room, I'll move over. If not Fuck em. If they aren't paying attention, Fuck em.. If you don't drive aggressive here you are fucked.
I do show courtesy to big rig drivers and guys pulling trailers 95% of the time. They can't stop on a dime and it takes awhile for them to get up to speed. I hate being cutoff pulling a trailer and understand that. The rest of Houston does not...

2017 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, 6.7 tow rig

IG: @boomtacoma01

-Chris
Boomtacoma01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentedsub View Post
There's one spot that only has bad traffic because there's a UTA bus that does it but takes his time to speed up. For some reason he feels he deserves to be in the left lane and doesn't care who's in his way to get there. I've seen him cut off multiple people to get there. Everyone has to brake because of him and its busy enough that it trickles down and the braking lasts for over an hour. The road is clear to do 70-75 before he gets on and barely do 55-65 after.
Call it in, the bus must have a a bus number and their safety department would probbaly be very interested in knowing that one of their buses is cutting people off and obstructing traffic needlessly...

Aaron Z

Last edited by aczlan; 10-16-2019 at 04:17 PM.
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 04:38 PM   #64 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realsquash View Post
A guy I know was driving his 40' class A motorhome when a dolt from the right merged right across the front end of his rig. The car spun out and off the road, MH stopped. The car driver admitted it was his own fault and he never saw the MH. Never saw a 40' MH. People really do suck.

I'm travelling south in my MH right now and I think I've had 3 people zoom up the onramp at 75+ and out waaaay ahead of me, like 10+ car lengths, plenty of time to just go left and merge and haul ass. Instead they run out of ramp and jam the brakes, go off onto the shoulder rumble strips, and then disappear in my rear view mirror. Maybe they don't teach city people how to drive on a high speed road or something? I just don't get it.
Snowbird ????
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 19666
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
I just got done with a 300 mile road trip. A witnessed a common event that has me shaking my head.

The setting,
I'm driving in my DD Bronco. Since I'm on 38's, low gears and lifted, I don't really like driving 75. So I set the cruise at 63 and relax. Since the speed limit is 70 and most of the rest of the traffic is going 75, I stay in the far right lane. Of course, the lanes on my left are fairly constant passing me.

The maneuver,
Someone would come up on the "on ramp" and drive next to me on the right. They would have their turn signal on to enter my lane. (Like I can't figure out where he wants to go on a on ramp) He continues next to me as long as the ramp, sometimes for several hundred yards. When the ramp starts to merge, they generally slow down and tuck in behind me. Some start crowding my lane untill I have to hit the brakes. Without fail, once in my lane, they then excellerate to around 75, pass and cruise away.

Here's the thing. (Or two things)

The traffic is light. There's no one on the road for in front of me or in back for many car lengths. When you're on a ramp and one car is in the lane, speed up or slow down and join the traffic. If they are planning on going 75, why don't they just speed up? I sware they think there's a speed limit of 60 on the ramp.

The other thing is several people were flipping me off like I didn't let them in. (As they passed) I guess I'm supposed to slow down for them because they can't figure out their car will go 75 even on the ramp.
This is all too common. I was just bitching to the wife the other day of the exact same thing. Here in WI, merging traffic does NOT have the right of way, you do NOT have to do anything to let anyone in.. so I don't anymore. Fuck em. Fuckers will pace you on the on
ramp and then get pissy you don't move to let them in, with no traffic in front of nor behind you.

Yup, I don't get either. I find my own way into traffic, it's not on anyone else to move out of my way.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 228921
Thread reminds me of this from the Placerville CHP facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/CHPPlacervi...1696588730530/

Last edited by Chkn; 10-16-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Chkn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
No thanks.
I used to do 90. Now its about 2. So nice to not worry about road conditions, traffic, etc.
Also nice to ve able to run home to grab something.
It was part of my job.(Roofing Supervisor) 60 miles to the shop/office and the rest driving to jobs checking in on crews and meeting clients, then back to the shop to write bids, turn in tickets to be fabbed etc....

Nows its 23 miles one way to the shop. I run the sheet metal shop,warehouse and delivery dept. It's a nice easy drive. At a different time then most of the other traffic. I start at 6:30 and close at 3:30. Normally. We stay late if we are really busy. Which sucks because it puts me in with a lot more traffic on the way home. But still not bad.

Last edited by Cheepin; 10-16-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Cheepin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #68 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar7 View Post
The other thing that pisses me off is people not staying to left of their lane at a stop light so people turning right can't get by you.
Totally with you - "common sense" ain't all that common.

Maybe idjits are trying to leave room for the H-D bozos who'll pitch a hissy fit, do tough guy mean-mugging, & rev their straight-piped gutless noisemaker if folks don't make way for them to filter to the front of the line? Bikers who do that and then clog traffic by taking off like they're driving Miss Daisy are just selfish douchebag motherfuckers looking for attention. When I'm riding motorcycle, the last thing I'm looking to do is get in anyone's way - if I'm at pole position at the light, I'll be at the speed limit before the car behind me crosses the intersection.

<-- Random crap you might find useful
ExWrench is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 06:16 PM   #69 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 186552
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
I give them some slack. They have to drive all day that drives me nuts being in for a half hour. I also go out of my way to help them switch lanes or merge. If I see a rig making his way across lanes and I can cross with him to block the idiots then I do. I'll take a lane and then flash him over. I know the driver's appreciate it. It may be their only act of kindness that they receive for the day. It's the least that I can do to help the guys that move product around the US on our behalf.
I flash-over trucks all the time, I find it annoying that Ill slow down or make room for them, and cant get a bump of the brake or chicken lights, they wont even look at you when you pass em on by
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Totally with you - "common sense" ain't all that common.

Maybe idjits are trying to leave room for the H-D bozos who'll pitch a hissy fit, do tough guy mean-mugging, & rev their straight-piped gutless noisemaker if folks don't make way for them to filter to the front of the line? Bikers who do that and then clog traffic by taking off like they're driving Miss Daisy are just selfish douchebag motherfuckers looking for attention. When I'm riding motorcycle, the last thing I'm looking to do is get in anyone's way - if I'm at pole position at the light, I'll be at the speed limit before the car behind me crosses the intersection.
It never fails, when I'm on the bike and want to split, no one is turning right and they crowd to the left. When I need to turn right in a truck and theres no bikes around, everyone is to the right....
I really crack up at everyone that wants to race you off the light because they get pissy about you coming to the front of the line.

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 08:05 PM   #70 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2hye View Post
I really crack up at everyone that wants to race you off the light because they get pissy about you coming to the front of the line.
I'm not looking to race, but I'm likely looking to take off quickly. Don't fuck up my plans.

If you're in enough of a hurry to cut to the front of the line (no problem) . . .
. . . stay in that hurry and git dafawk outta' my way

PS - I'm a motorcyclist, so it's not racist when I talk shit about them

<-- Random crap you might find useful
ExWrench is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 860424
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar7 View Post

The other thing that pisses me off is people not staying to left of their lane at a stop light so people turning right can't get by you.
I live in a small town with one stoplight and not even on the at the busiest intersection. Not only do people crowd the right they don't understand that you can turn right on red. Drives me crazy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in