Contacts - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 25603
Send a message via Yahoo to johnny_boy02
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDXSR5 View Post
I also discussed doing what you were suggesting with my eye doctor. I am a great candidate for it with a pretty stable prescription and I am at a good age for the surgery. I have a few other things I need to take care of financially first, but I fully intend to have lasik done within the next 5 years or so.
Best money I ever spent. My only regret is waiting.
johnny_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 60364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
In case no one mentioned it, get LASIK. Literally the best thing I ever did for myself. Ever. Changed my life. Fuck glasses and contacts.
Make sure you get your lasik done as close to the last laser calibration as possible. Serious.

I wear glasses, and my "one-day" acuvue oasis contacts, I have had the same pair for the last 9-months, which I wear for a few hours each weekend to surf/swim, are still good to go (I'm not condoning this, I clean and inspect them well).

Last edited by skullver; 10-17-2019 at 09:43 PM.
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 7903
Quote:
Originally Posted by skullver View Post
Make sure you get your lasik done as close to the last laser calibration as possible. Serious.

I wear glasses, and my "one-day" acuvue oasis contacts, I have had the same pair for the last 9-months, which I wear for a few hours each weekend to surf/swim, are still good to go (I'm not condoning this, I clean and inspect them well).
My eye doc pushes daily disposable for swimming after being involved in a case where a guy got amoebas on his contacts that ended up burrowing into his eye and causing severe long term eye damage. It was resistant to the cleanser, so as he wore it over the time period, it really f'd him up.

Before I switched from bi-weekly to daily disposable, he'd sell me a month of daily disposables at cost for use when swimming.

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conta...-keratitis.htm

Last edited by JohnnyJ; 10-18-2019 at 09:57 AM.
JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #29 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
If anybody wants a good source for inexpensive contacts I've found https://www.contactlensking.com/ to be across the board cheapest. Been buying the gf's lenses there for few years. In some styles Costco is close to same price but other styles there is a big difference. Prices are way better than 1800contacts

If anyone wants a referral link that should get you a discount let me know (disclosure, I'd get discount as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #30 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 25970
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2.jd View Post
I use Acuvue oaysis and have for as long as they’ve made them. They’re one month contacts but I take them out every night.

The contact solution makes a big difference too. I finally got some Bio true and it’s been the best for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDaRed2 View Post
This. Acuvue Oasis are the best in my opinion but I can't wear them anymore because they don't offer the correct astigmatism correction for me. Right now I wear air optics which are pretty good too.

Been wearing contacts for 15ish years. I'll get Lasik one of these days...
I use these as well. Take them out nightly and use fresh fluid every time. They last me 5-6 months before i'll swap them with a new pair. I will be getting lasik in the future.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 188446
Acuvue 2 for me. Doctor made me move to Oasys because I sleep in my contacts. Eyes were irritated and gummy for 6 mos until I convinced my DR to let me go back to Acuvue 2, and been fine ever since.
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #32 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
I tried Disposable contacts many years ago and concluded that there is way to much dust and flying debris in my life to feel safe in contacts.

If I wore a tie and had different hobbies, I would be all over them though.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
In case no one mentioned it, get LASIK. Literally the best thing I ever did for myself. Ever. Changed my life. Fuck glasses and contacts.
You DO understand its a permanent modification and over time ones eyes change including scenarios requiring bi or trifocals. Its NOT a lifetime fix...

In my dads case he went from far sighted since he was 10 to no glasses to near sighted due to a combination of age and age onset diabetes. Started at 50.

I never wore glasses but need cheaters now due to cataract surgery and the artificial lens only being good for long distance. They dont make a lens that does the same thing a natural lens does...yet. I had my cataracts removed at 65

My wife had RK done in her 30s before Lasik was available. She cant use contacts and has to wear glasses, She ran into that at 55(ish)
Old 10-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
You DO understand its a permanent modification and over time ones eyes change including scenarios requiring bi or trifocals. Its NOT a lifetime fix...

In my dads case he went from far sighted since he was 10 to no glasses to near sighted due to a combination of age and age onset diabetes. Started at 50.

I never wore glasses but need cheaters now due to cataract surgery and the artificial lens only being good for long distance. They dont make a lens that does the same thing a natural lens does...yet. I had my cataracts removed at 65

My wife had RK done in her 30s before Lasik was available. She cant use contacts and has to wear glasses, She ran into that at 55(ish)
Fully aware. Still worth it. Would do it again in a heart beat.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 799113
Acuvue "Tru-eye" were the most comfortable contacts I ever wore, didn't notice they were there for the first 10 or so hours.

But yeah, lasik man. Best thing I've done for myself and I regret putting it off for so long. Life without contacts or glasses is sweeeettt!!!

I was very nervous about any potential bad side effects, and also quite cheap so I decided to just get 1 eye done first, and the other down the track. I never bothered going back to get the other one done.
Even with only 1 eye corrected I have better than 20/20 vision 95% of the time. Basically your brain will always pick the sharper image and disregards the other. The only time I ever notice any fuzziness is when the good eye is obscured, say looking through lattice work, or when swigging from a bottle. Depth perception is still great.
Saved me a few grand for almost the same result and less risk. YMMV though. My eyes were only about -2.5 so the discrepancy between them still isn't huge.
Andrew_ln65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 192237
tried contacts for a week probably 10 years ago

Not for me, my glasses get scarred up from so much particulate (and a needle nose pliers) that I'm sure I'd have an eyepatch or a few zillion dollar doctor bills by now.

Last edited by [486]; 10-18-2019 at 05:58 PM.
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197896
Another vote for Biofinity and hydrogen peroxide. I've been wearing contacts for about 40 yrs. My right eye is significantly different than my left (-4.50, -0.5), so wearing glasses gives me a headache. Used to use Accuview, but got an eye infection about 5 yrs ago and my ophthalmologist switched me to the Biofinity and hydrogen peroxide and have been very happy with that. As I got older, I went to wearing a single contact in my right eye and nothing in my left, so I don't have to use reading glasses. As I've gotten older (currently 56), my vision is actually getting better, as I went from -4.5 to -4.0 in my last check-up about 3 months ago. Dr said it was pretty common.

I take the contact out every night, and typically get 1-1.5 months before I need to replace it.
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 110516
I am not going to quote everyone and reply individually. thank you all for the input, especially all of the unsolicited lasik/PRK advice. It is actually helpful, just not what I was really going for here. I am going to try out these other lenses that my doctor is ordering for me and see where I end up with all this. Yes the end goal is to have laser eye surgery in the future, it just isn't in the cards monetarily at the moment.

As a side tangent, if I have gout, would that prevent me from getting the surgery? Not sure if I have gout or a fucked up bunion situation going on, but I need to get it looked at and hope it is not gout. Autoimmune shit is no joke. My ex has been diagnosed with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, so seen how that plays out and it is bullshit. I don't wish autoimmune issues anyone.
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 130270
Literally just started wearing Bio true. I tried many brands, and said fuck it and went back to glasses. I get sick and fucking tired of scratches, and dirt, and grease and whatever the fuck else jacking them up. I am committed to using contacts until I can afford Lasik. So sick of having to get prescription sun glasses etc. I actually have better than 20/20 vision, I just have astigmatism in both eyes. So, if I do not wear anything, I get massive migraines from hell. I hate it. Anyhow, these Bio True lenses seem more thin, and soft than the other dailies I have used thus far. I will report back after a full day staring at a damn computer screen for 12 hours... that is my main problem, drying out due to looking at a computer all day.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 130270
On this note, and in this vein, those of you with contacts; what type/brand of wetting drops do you use that actually restores daily contacts when they dry out during the day? Most make things worse for me by blurring shit.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 20374
On the wetting drops, I've had best results with cleareyes for contacts.

Contacts as a whole, I've been in Acuvue 2 since I started wearing contacts, like two decades ago and always been great. Fast forward to last week where my new eye doc informed me they can cause corneal vascularization over time, and it would be better to try some modern lenses with better permeability for corneal health. I'm on week two of a trial pair of something, so far not as comfy as my old Acuvues...

Also, doc recommended the fancy, complex peroxide whatever instead of the simple multipurpose solution I'd been using. I'm hesitant to complicate the process, but noticed above where the peroxide stuff was recommended.

So basically I'm in between lens brand and storage processes at the moment.
Grapehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 09:37 AM   #42 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 116537
Another one for LASIK. I had it done maybe 20 years ago. Best money I've ever spent.

My vision was so bad I'd have to put on my glasses just to see the time on the clock next to my bed on the nightstand.

I could not find contacts that worked. I had unusual astigmatisms in each eye. I'm in my middle 50s now and still have great vision--other than I need reading glasses for fine print, but that's presbyopia.
emiller22207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 83430
Went to a new eye doctor a couple weeks ago. He switched me to Biofinity. Way more comfortable than my old Air Optics but they are a pain to take out.

I did have a problem a week or so in and he have me some of the hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution and that fixed them up. They were dirty and caused some blurriness. My old brand never did that but they also showed showed different signs and caused irritation when they were dirty.

Last edited by InDaRed2; 11-19-2019 at 09:44 AM.
InDaRed2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #44 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 197896
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDaRed2 View Post
Went to a new eye doctor a couple weeks ago. He switched me to Biofinity. Way more comfortable than my old Air Optics but they are a pain to take out.

I did have a problem a week or so in and he have me some of the hydrogen peroxide cleaning solution and that fixed them up. They were dirty and caused some blurriness. My old brand never did that but they also showed showed different signs and caused irritation when they were dirty.
Glad to hear they are working for you - I do agree they sometimes feel like they are more "stuck" to your eye when you are trying to remove. You just have to get your fingers right to get them to fold/pop off your eyeball and then they come off easily. I think the "softness" which makes them more comfortable, as well as the fit between the curvature of your eye and the lens curvature play into that. Sometimes they come right off, sometimes you feel like you are squeezing your eyeball
giles45shop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 143737
I'm running Biofinitys for a couple years, work well for me. Optifree Puremoist is the solution I use, and I keep some in a little eyedropper bottle for rewetting. I have monthly ones, and I leave them in for weeks at a time, until they bother me. Not the best I know. Lasik is on my to do list.

Good to know about PH, after doing a lot of shop work I'm sure my lenses could use that
Old 11-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 199544
Not trying to talk big but a recent article about a former FDA advisor Morris Waxler who at first approved LASIK now says after checking data that up to 30% have problems, he reversed his decision & asked for a recall which the FDA declined-
det107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 110516
I have tested the following contacts in one day disposables since I started this thread.

Bausch & Lomb Biotrue
Acuvue Oasys
Acuvue Moist

I chose one a day lenses as I don't want to mess with cases/solution and I feel it is better for my eyes to have new contacts each day I wear them. I plan to wear contacts about half the time with glasses taking care of the balance. The throw away nature of the one a day lenses makes my active travel career and lifestyle easier as I can just throw a few packs of lenses in my bag and go. No need to worry about cases and solution! On to the test results.

Third place: Acuvue Moist
This is not a bad lens, but it is not a great lens for me. I do like that Acuvue prints numbers on their lenses as it makes the thin one day lenses much easier to determine if they are inside out. This lens had moderate comfort for me with some drying felt about midway through the day. I could do about 8-10 hours in these with some discomfort. I did not feel real comfortable wearing these in the dark as I got some significant blur. To be fair I do have astigmatism correction in both eyes that isn't corrected when I wear contacts. This makes night time vision suffer. Again, not a bad lense, but not great for my eyes. Still better than any of the lenses I remember trying 10 years ago.

Second Place: Bausch & Lomb Biotrue
A decent lense that I rank higher than the Acuvue Moist based solely on comfort. I could wear these longer with better initial comfort and longer lasting comfort throughout the day when compared to my third place choice. In almost every other category they are about equal or a bit worse than the Acuvue Moist. One area I struggled with using the Biotrue was putting them in. They are very thin and it was extremely difficult for me to tell if they were inside out even after I put them in. I love the printing that Acuvue puts on their lenses and wish every contact manufacturer did so. The Biotrue night vision was even blurrier than the Acuvue Moist, so I tried to avoid wearing them at night. While drying issues were less noticeable than the Acuvue Moist, they were still very noticeable. Again, they get ranked higher than the Acuvue Moist solely because they are more comfortable. As the days have gotten shorter and I am forced to leave/return home in the dark, I have been unable to wear the Biotrue lenses all day with my poor night vision.

First Place: Acuvue Oasys
Combine the ease of install of the Acuvue Moist with comfort that is better than the Biotrue and I get the Acuvue Oasys. I can honestly wear these all day with great initial comfort and very little noticable discomfort as the hours awake pass deep into the double digits. I have very little, if any, drying issues with the Acuvue Oasys. I also have lessened issues with night vision when compared to the other options I tried. They are still not as good as my glasses, but they are good enough that I am comfortable wearing the Acuvue Moist when driving in the dark. I have worn the Acuvue Oasys both to work and to play (skiing, snowmobiling, gym) and haven't found an area where they do worse than the other two options I tried. I had to special request samples of this lense from my optometrist. I sure am glad I did! Ease of use, high marks for comfort, minimal drying, and I am able to wear them in the dark? Sounds like a winner to me!

I plan to buy a stock of the Acuvue Oasys lenses and wear them for the foreseeable future. They are the most expensive lenses I tested, but for a part time wearer, I am OK with spending a few extra dollars for the added comfort. I will update if I decide to change lenses. Thank you all for your input on this thread!
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in