Contacts - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Contacts

So I am trying contacts again for the first time in a decade. I went through 5 different offerings of soft reusable lenses last time. I never did settle on one I really liked after a year of trial and error. I could only keep them in for 8 hours or so max because of irritation. Went back to glasses.

Fast forward to now. I do not plan to use contacts daily. They will be about 50/50 with glasses. My doctor suggested daily disposable contacts and gave me some trials to use. I am already sold on the daily use disposables after just a couple days of use. I am getting significantly greater comfort from these disposables than I ever did with the reusable ones. The trial packs they gave me are 1-Day Acuvue Moist.

My question is, are all of the daily disposable contacts pretty much the same? If I am going to go down this road, I would like to have the best available option at my disposal. My eye doctor has ordered in a couple other brands of trials for me to try that should be in next week. Are there particular ones that have worked well for you that I should be on the lookout for? Thanks.
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Get lasered. 20 years of contacts was enough. So much better without them.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
I also discussed doing what you were suggesting with my eye doctor. I am a great candidate for it with a pretty stable prescription and I am at a good age for the surgery. I have a few other things I need to take care of financially first, but I fully intend to have lasik done within the next 5 years or so.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 777769
I tried contacts for two weeks. I made an appointment and got prk.
Rubirunner85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 171335
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
This, so much this. Been 15ish years and still 20/20 during daylight (wear anti-glare glasses at night). Astigmatism in both eyes too. Wore gas permeable lenses for 12yrs till I decided to go lasik. Technology has only gotten better. Hands down the best money spent on myself. I work in the dirt every day and it's honestly changed my life.
Captain Call is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 377
I wore contacts for 20 years before I got lasik done a couple of years ago. Never had any issues with contacts. Only got lasik done because we had a bunch of money left in our flex spending account that had to get spent on something. I thought I'd made the biggest mistake of my life for about a month. It took my right eye forever to stabilize. Then a few months later I developed a weird autoimmune issue in my left eye. Everything cleared up in both and I have 20/10 vision now.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 322034
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
I wore contacts for 20 years before I got lasik done a couple of years ago. Never had any issues with contacts. Only got lasik done because we had a bunch of money left in our flex spending account that had to get spent on something. I thought I'd made the biggest mistake of my life for about a month. It took my right eye forever to stabilize. Then a few months later I developed a weird autoimmune issue in my left eye. Everything cleared up in both and I have 20/10 vision now.
yeah... no thanks.

been using johnson and johnson accuvue 2 for 20 years with no issues. wear glasses sometimes to give eyes a break.

scared poopless about lazik
montrose818 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 11:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 19666
I always ended up back in acuvue 2.. tried many many different brands over the years but always ended up back where I started. Its been about 5? years since I last used them however, I'ms ure things have changed a bit since.

lasik was the correct answer.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose818 View Post
yeah... no thanks.

been using johnson and johnson accuvue 2 for 20 years with no issues. wear glasses sometimes to give eyes a break.

scared poopless about lazik
I don't blame you. Now that all that crap is cleared up and I have great vision and don't have to worry about dealing with contacts anymore I'm glad that I did it but if you would've told me all the stuff I would've gone through to get there I would said the same thing. Yeah... no thanks.

The autoimmune thing was the weird part. It just came out of nowhere. The eye doctor asked if I had any underlying autoimmune issues and I'm like WTF? That's when he explained that this particular issue is an autoimmune reaction and about a third of the time it's related to an underlying autoimmune issue. Like MS? No, usually lupus or rheumatoid arthritis and just by being a white male we can just about rule lupus out. All autoimmune issues skew towards females but lupus in particular skews heavily toward females and the males that are affected are almost always either black or Asian. It's not impossible for white males to develop lupus but it's certainly uncommon. Well, my grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis. Hmmm... Anyway, his advice was to just go on a steroid eye drop to clear it up and then not worry about it unless it returns and even if it does return, this particular issue has a habit of recurring even without underlying autoimmune issues - usually within a few months - but at that point he'd suggest following up with my primary care doctor to undergo some more testing for autoimmune disease, specifically rheumatoid arthritis. That's been about 8 months ago so I should be in the clear.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 22595
Send a message via AIM to TOAdisco311
Honestly I think it depends on your eyes. I work outside in oilfield/Construction and like putting in new daily contacts in. The 2 week ones did get uncomfortable sometimes depending on the dust and grime. I honestly can’t say I’ve ever had a bad experience with any main brand daily contacts. Currently wearing Costco brand daily’s.

I’m actually curious about whats different between the two week contacts versus the daily? You could almost think it would be cheaper to manufacture the same lenses and just label it differently?
Old 10-17-2019, 05:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 102421
I use Acuvue oaysis and have for as long as they’ve made them. They’re one month contacts but I take them out every night.

The contact solution makes a big difference too. I finally got some Bio true and it’s been the best for me
zr2.jd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 08:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Well lots of replies suggesting corrective surgery. Yes, that would be nice, but $$$. I am a planning to get it done, but I can't spend the money on it at the moment.

Thanks to those replying with contact info. I will try the other sample contacts my doctor supplies and see if I can tell a difference for my eyes.

I used to work oilfield and construction, but now do estimating, sales, and PM work. I am not in dusty environments nearly as much as I used to be so I am sure that is helping me have a better experience with the contacts. The one a day contacts seem to be the hot ticket for me for sure.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 377
Try Biofinity. I wore various versions of Acuvues for over a decade, but Biofinity worked best for me.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 67823
I got eye infucktions from contacts. I got excellent vision from lasik. $4700, 18 months interest free, paid it off in the allotted time, and it's the best money I've ever spent.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 83430
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2.jd View Post
I use Acuvue oaysis and have for as long as they’ve made them. They’re one month contacts but I take them out every night.

The contact solution makes a big difference too. I finally got some Bio true and it’s been the best for me
This. Acuvue Oasis are the best in my opinion but I can't wear them anymore because they don't offer the correct astigmatism correction for me. Right now I wear air optics which are pretty good too.

Been wearing contacts for 15ish years. I'll get Lasik one of these days...
Old 10-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
I don't blame you. Now that all that crap is cleared up and I have great vision and don't have to worry about dealing with contacts anymore I'm glad that I did it but if you would've told me all the stuff I would've gone through to get there I would said the same thing. Yeah... no thanks.

The autoimmune thing was the weird part. It just came out of nowhere. The eye doctor asked if I had any underlying autoimmune issues and I'm like WTF? That's when he explained that this particular issue is an autoimmune reaction and about a third of the time it's related to an underlying autoimmune issue. Like MS? No, usually lupus or rheumatoid arthritis and just by being a white male we can just about rule lupus out. All autoimmune issues skew towards females but lupus in particular skews heavily toward females and the males that are affected are almost always either black or Asian. It's not impossible for white males to develop lupus but it's certainly uncommon. Well, my grandmother had rheumatoid arthritis. Hmmm... Anyway, his advice was to just go on a steroid eye drop to clear it up and then not worry about it unless it returns and even if it does return, this particular issue has a habit of recurring even without underlying autoimmune issues - usually within a few months - but at that point he'd suggest following up with my primary care doctor to undergo some more testing for autoimmune disease, specifically rheumatoid arthritis. That's been about 8 months ago so I should be in the clear.
You have periodic back issues perchance? Arthritis doesn't just affect the hands though folks complain it in that area more frequently...
Old 10-17-2019, 08:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
I’m in the dust and the dirt 10-12 hours a day. I was having issues with my contacts using the normal solution. I switched to the hydrogen peroxide over night cleaning and my issues went away. That stuff does a really good job at cleaning them. Just make sure you give them a shot of the normal solution before you put them back on.
Thepanzerfuhrer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by squamch View Post
I got eye infucktions from contacts. I got excellent vision from lasik. $4700, 18 months interest free, paid it off in the allotted time, and it's the best money I've ever spent.
Yeah my procedure was $5k but it comes with lifetime vision. Just schedule
A check up, and if needed he will do it again. It only lasts about 10 years.
Rubirunner85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 08:56 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
You have periodic back issues perchance? Arthritis doesn't just affect the hands though folks complain it in that area more frequently...
No. No other symptoms that really fit. I have a recurring big toe issue that they thought might be gout but there's no signs of gout or arthritis in the joint. It's some type of soft tissue injury that I keep reaggravating. It stems back to a patio build I did a couple of years ago. I did something to it lugging all that gravel, sand and big ass paving stones up and down the stairs and it'll occasionally flair up but it's gotten a lot better over time with the flair ups getting fewer and farther between and when it does flair up these days it never gets worse than mildly annoying.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 487154
I used Dailies AquaComfort Plus for years with good success. Switching from monthly to daily contacts was a huge step up in comfort, convenience and less issues if I forgot to take them out. Hell, I've even slept in them and wore them the next day with no issue. I used my last pair as a monthly for better than month (removed and cleaned over night, once or twice with the hydrogen peroxide cleaner for additional cleaning) leading up to my surgery so I wouldn't have to buy more.

That said, I did lasik ~5 year ago and it is the 2nd best decision* I ever made. Plus, mine has a LIFETIME WARRANTY. If my distance ever starts to fade they will touch it up, free of charge. All I have to do is get an annual check up at my normal Optometrist.

Yes, it's a big financial commitment up front, but there are options to help with that. Look into FSA and HSAs to spread out the financing. I used my FSA to reimburse $2550 of my costs and paid that back $49.04 per week over the next year, tax free which saved about $600 in taxes IIRC.

Please, for the love of humanity and safety of your eyes, do not even look into places advertising a few hundred dollars per eye or whatever. Mine totaled $3600 (7 years of daily contacts) and I don't bat an eye telling everyone it was worth every penny. In addition, they gave me two $500 off coupons to give to others.

https://www.toledo-lasik.com/
Here is where I had mine done and if you're ever down in Ohio and in the area, I highly recommend them. Dr. Robert Wiley has quite a few innovations and patents regarding ophthalmology and eye surgery, interesting read on what all he has been involved in and the firsts that he has accomplished. His son, Dr. William Wiley has taken over the practice and is right there with him at the forefront of innovation in the field.

*first being the helmet I purchased and wore when I had a sport bike as it literally saved my life with only minor damage to it.
________/__/__\____\_,__
|- /¯¯\_''______/¯¯\-[]===[]
_`(o)_)<>)_)__`(o)_)o==)_)

Quote:
Mathematics itself operates as Whiteness.
5TonDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 7903
A few years back my eye Doc gave me about a month's worth of dailies to try out. I had been in 2-week disposables for years. I've been wearing contacts for 30+ years since I was a teenager.

I was sold after taking the daily disposable with me to KoH that year. At the end of the day I could throw them away, and my eyes seemed to be happier than any of the other people on the trip. I switched over to dailies with my next eye appointment.

I currently am using Alcon AquaComfort Plus. I think last year I used a B&L daily. All seem to be competitive. My doc usually gives me a few days worth of the brands he stocks and I call him a week later and order my preferred brand. Makes it nice to try out a brand for a few days to get the feel of them.
JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 487154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
I’m in the dust and the dirt 10-12 hours a day. I was having issues with my contacts using the normal solution. I switched to the hydrogen peroxide over night cleaning and my issues went away. That stuff does a really good job at cleaning them. Just make sure you give them a shot of the normal solution before you put them back on.
Agreed, the hydrogen peroxide did an excellent job of cleaning reusables. There's a three step process to not feeling like your eye ball is on fire when putting in contacts using that stuff: 1. Make sure the contact is in the proper case (I've never tried the drop in tablets). 2: Make sure they are in there for the correct amount of time. 3: give them a little rinse with normal solution before installation.

Everyone is different. Some use the HP every night, some once a week, some never. I always had a bottle of Clear Care and a case with built in neutralizing disk to use it a couple times a month with monthlies. I still recommend the dailies over reusable.
________/__/__\____\_,__
|- /¯¯\_''______/¯¯\-[]===[]
_`(o)_)<>)_)__`(o)_)o==)_)

Quote:
Mathematics itself operates as Whiteness.
5TonDreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 08:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 161331
Back to the original question, I wore accuvues also. Even though thy were extended wear, I took them out every night. My eyes just felt better.

As far as getting shit in your eye, it was better with contacts, instead of it getting stuck in your eye it would stick in the contact. pretty easy to take out ad deal with. They also block UV with really helps. I wear sunglasses much more now.

Last edited by bdkw1; 10-17-2019 at 08:23 PM.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 08:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 55560
In case no one mentioned it, get LASIK. Literally the best thing I ever did for myself. Ever. Changed my life. Fuck glasses and contacts.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 84339
I wore Acuvue Oasis for about 15 years... Got PRK last year, and it's been great since.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in