R8tr App - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19204
R8tr App

Anybody near 'yada yada' to look at a vehicle I'm interested in?
..... Now there's an app for that.

I got bent over pretty good when I bought a truck site unseen by putting trust in an ad for a vehicle and video the salesman took. I learned that lesson the hard way. My next online purchase I found somebody on here to check it out before buying. Pyleit helped make THAT purchase an awesome experience. Having somebody with knowledge of what I was buying be able to test drive and send me pics of his concerns was awesome. Very reassuring.

Anyway ... a friend made an app for just this type of situation. It's called R8tr.

https://www.r8tr.com

https://www.facebook.com/r8trmovement

With the app you'll be able to find somebody to look at a vehicle for you as well as sign up to get paid to look at vehicles in your area.

It officially launches in a few days but just from the preregistration they have R8trs ready all over the country.

If you're interested in making a few bucks scoping out cars get yourself registered. I know they are hoping to fill in some of the gaps out West before their launch.

... hopefully somebody finds it useful
Old 10-16-2019, 10:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
While I like the idea, typically when Im buying a vehicle I have done my research and know what years of said vehicle are good/bad, common problem areas, recalls etc....

Not sure I'd trust someone the next state over to do the same
Old 10-16-2019, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 19204
FWIW I got no horse in this race.

I spent so much time talking about my bad purchase and the good one I dunno how, as a developer, I overlooked this possibility.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
While I like the idea, typically when Im buying a vehicle I have done my research and know what years of said vehicle are good/bad, common problem areas, recalls etc....

i agree, if you want that kind of gurantee, buy from a dealer

reminds me of the carvana used car online stuff. so, it will probably work well enough for 80% of people out there who prefer to drive a toaster

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 19204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post

Same here. I knew exactly what I wanted and what to look for.... so did the dealership. I felt satisfied by the video the vehicle, which included a long test drive, so I bought it. I didn't bother to think the salesman knew exactly what to hide and what to lie about.

I'd trust a green saturn driver's thoughts about a vehicle before I trust another salesperson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
i agree, if you want that kind of gurantee, buy from a dealer

reminds me of the carvana used car online stuff. so, it will probably work well enough for 80% of people out there who prefer to drive a toaster
I've learned that 'as is no warranty' means just that. So you can't trust them either. I couldn't get a lawyer anywhere near him to touch the case even with the video of outright lies.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Fwiw, car Maxx will transfer stuff from location to location for free within a certain mileage. You can also pay to have vehicles shipped and are not committed to anything but the shipping cost if you don't like it.

Last edited by YotaAtieToo; 10-16-2019 at 10:56 PM.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDaddi View Post
I didn't bother to think the salesman knew exactly what to hide and what to lie about.
Kinda' like a . . .

. . . shit, what's that term . . .

. . . you know, for a shifty, dishonest type person . . .

. . . who's a real low-life lying cheating motherfucker . . .

. . . the absolute bottom-dweller scumbag scammer . . .

. . . a guy who'd fuck over his own grandma for a buck . . .

. . . dammit, it's right on the tip of . . .

oh, yeah - a USED CAR SALESMAN

EDIT: I do not think all used car salesmen are bad people
- it's the "few bad apples" that make the other 5% look bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 10-17-2019 at 01:08 AM.
ExWrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 03:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 17637
If it's a good deal, I'm NOT sending a car guy to look at it for me. I'd just get "What a great deal. Thanks!"
Old 10-17-2019, 05:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 67681
E-badassery is strong in this one. Yep, you are all vehicle experts and never need help. While that may be true, there is the other 99% of the population that don't have a clue. Actually, you all complain about them regularly and how little they know. Now you have a chance to profit from their lack of knowledge and just complain. Some would be thrilled to see a few good reviews about a guy named Bubba in the deep of Arkansas that is willing to go check out a private sale vehicle for them.

Some of y'all would have to spread cheeks to see the bright side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rugger; 10-17-2019 at 05:35 AM.
rugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 06:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 43637
I think it could have potential. While there are millions of car idiots out there, there are also a shit ton of car guys just like us. Car people will get on this, not non-car people (at first until money can be made, then it will go to shit).

I'd like to see this happen. I hate seeing old cars going to the junk yard just because in our area, people don't know about or understand a vehicle.

For instance: I just recently bought a 99 Mitsubishi Montero. Been hunting one since I first owned a new 94 way back when. Around here, almost impossible to find. Out in Cali, everywhere! So I had to travel to get mine, it would have been nice to have people check it out for a few things, take some pictures in a few locations, and then at least I know this deserves a good look. After that, it's all on me, but it would have helped me rule out the rust buckets or jalopys quickly.
[QUOTE=PAToyota;19894137]Back in college, we were making up acetylene balloons and putting them in a box to take off to light. Guy comes into the room, goes "Balloons!" and grabs a balloon, rubs it on his head, and sticks it to the wall... Everyone was diving for cover... :D[/QUOTE]
Ol'Customcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 85264
Send a message via AIM to LeadfootCJ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
Fwiw, car Maxx will transfer stuff from location to location for free within a certain mileage. You can also pay to have vehicles shipped and are not committed to anything but the shipping cost if you don't like it.
Somewhat true. My buddy did that with a Z71 4WD Tahoe they had. It got here, he went to look and noticed it was missing the 4WD controls on the dash and looked underneath. It was 2WD with the "Z71 appearance package" and the boneheads at Carmax that did the inspection in the shop and even checked off that 4WD function missed it (basically their inspection is worthless). 4WD wasn't critical, but when you run BB the values are several thousand lower. They wouldn't budge so he walked. They called and harassed him for a while about how they shipped and it was exactly as stated. He had saved screenshots and ad still said 4WD and they told him that did not affect value. He finally told them to leave him along or he would come after them for harassment. I wouldn't avoid Carmax, but don't buy into all the hype either.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 19204
I think it has a lot of potential and hope they do well.

If you follow them on the Book of Faces they are pretty active. They were just at Mecum in Vegas and posting about cars that look amazing on the Mecum site and on TV but when they got up close and scoped it out they were pointing out flaws that the remote bidder wouldn't see. No doubt it paid off for some people that day.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
I can see it being like real life, I'll tell some dumb biatch not to buy something for X reasons, they'll ignore me and then later blame me for their bad decision anyway.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 80248
I can see some real value in this, even for car guys. how often have you seen a great deal but the seller only has a potato phone or doesn't know how to measure something and it too far away to make the trip on a hope and prayer.

The biggest risk I can see is their vetting process for "inspectors". Just like uber, when they first started it tended to be people with clean cars, professional, etc. Recently when I've used it the quality seems to have gone down to people and cars that would have fit right in as a taxi - dirty cars, unprofessional service, etc.

Any plans to expand it to non-cars? Both other vehicles like boats but even small items. I've had times when I found an engine/trans/axle/parts and the seller can't confirm it is XXX model or has some specific bolt pattern, etc. All it would take is a quick look from someone with a little knowledge and care to know.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 19204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zht View Post
I can see some real value in this, even for car guys. how often have you seen a great deal but the seller only has a potato phone or doesn't know how to measure something and it too far away to make the trip on a hope and prayer.

The biggest risk I can see is their vetting process for "inspectors". Just like uber, when they first started it tended to be people with clean cars, professional, etc. Recently when I've used it the quality seems to have gone down to people and cars that would have fit right in as a taxi - dirty cars, unprofessional service, etc.

Any plans to expand it to non-cars? Both other vehicles like boats but even small items. I've had times when I found an engine/trans/axle/parts and the seller can't confirm it is XXX model or has some specific bolt pattern, etc. All it would take is a quick look from someone with a little knowledge and care to know.
I'm not 100% on their future timetable but I wouldn't doubt they expand it. The two owners are pretty big into powerboats.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 186552
Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4zht View Post
This. Everyone is an expert when they have an app.
For example, my buddy's little brother claims hes a badass mechanic and car guy, cant keep a vehicle on the road for more than a few days at a time. I wouldn't want him inspecting a vehicle Im about to buy.

Took a Lyft for the first time a few weeks back. Guy canceled the ride before we added the next stop (dropping people off), and started motherfucking us, called the female passengers a bunch of fat bitches, the works. Then threatened to have his "boys" come by the house, and parked outside for about 2 hours.
Took an Uber to the fair on monday and dude almost hit about everything on the road. The Uber back was a brand new chevy crew cab with a polite driver.

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 64554
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugger View Post
E-badassery is strong in this one. Yep, you are all vehicle experts and never need help. While that may be true, there is the other 99% of the population that don't have a clue. Actually, you all complain about them regularly and how little they know. Now you have a chance to profit from their lack of knowledge and just complain. Some would be thrilled to see a few good reviews about a guy named Bubba in the deep of Arkansas that is willing to go check out a private sale vehicle for them.

Some of y'all would have to spread cheeks to see the bright side.
Bubba from AR checking in. This exactly. I signed up to go check out cars for people. I would likely use it if I found a deal somewhere to at least save me a trip on a lie. When my daughter was looking to trade in the BMW I drunk bought her, I asked the guy if a car she liked had ever been wrecked specifically because I didn't want to take off work, drive 2 hours there and back to look at a wrecked car. Guess what he told me and what I found. That little trip cost me a day of vacation and 200 plus miles. If this app can prevent that kind of bullshit and we both benefit, I'm all for it.

Someone did bring up sending a guy like me out to look at a sweet deal and I may be tempted to buy it and tell them it was already sold. It's a risk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in