Kia Sedona - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2019, 05:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 10,624
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Kia Sportage

So my wife has started working for the first time in 20 years.

She's pounding miles on the Yukon, which doesn't make sense to own anymore.

Local Kia place has a cheap, AWD Sportage with Car Play and AC. Literally, our only requirements. They have 211 of them on the lot.

Lifetime warranty and inspection.

Am I nuts for thinking Korean? I do speak Korean...
__________________
Quote:
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.

Last edited by Grendel; 10-21-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 05:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
DMG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 8145
Location: the Iron City
Posts: 14,515
The Kia/Hyundai products are pretty damn good lately. Have you checked consumer reports for trouble spots?


The Sedona is a minivan and not awd could you be thinking of the Sorento? Either way, CR likes them both.

Last edited by DMG; 10-21-2019 at 06:03 AM.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 06:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 10,624
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
The Kia/Hyundai products are pretty damn good lately. Have you checked consumer reports for trouble spots?


The Sedona is a minivan and not awd could you be thinking of the Sorento? Either way, CR likes them both.
Sorry, Sportage.

A very Korean name.
__________________
Quote:
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 06:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Member # 18283
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,740
Read the fine print on the lifetime warranty, my Passat came with one but I had to pay a licensed mechanic to do oil changes and inspections on the vehicle every 3k.

They make good beater cars the interior noise levels in the base models are louder than she is going to be used to in the Denali.
__________________
There are no rules. You have to think!
demonranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 06:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 10,624
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonranger View Post
Read the fine print on the lifetime warranty, my Passat came with one but I had to pay a licensed mechanic to do oil changes and inspections on the vehicle every 3k.

They make good beater cars the interior noise levels in the base models are louder than she is going to be used to in the Denali.
Local dealer is also doing maintenance included.
__________________
Quote:
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 96278
Location: Beside the point.
Posts: 9,280
We see a fair amount of them at the shop, and I've slowly become impressed by them. I see cars in general getting more sophisticated but less reliable, especially in very spendy areas- drivetrain, module/communication issues, comfort/convenience stuff- but the warranties they're offering can offset that pretty well. Read the fine print, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda.

Example (from Kia, no less): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...47425-9999.pdf

*Just checked, looks like Kia has TSBs on engine failures through 2018 (so far): https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...47423-9999.pdf How many? Who knows. Google shows some shit.
__________________
Drink to the dead all you still alive
We shall join them in good time

Last edited by cj5.5; 10-21-2019 at 07:30 AM.
cj5.5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 86724
Posts: 29,839
I've had several family members that were not mechanialy inclined own them.

they haven't had any issues.

kia put a clutch in my cousin's car at 90K miles and din't even hassle her. It was like 2 months from the ten year mark. lots of city driving.
__________________
Electricity is really just organized lightning.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn
 
Action Fab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Member # 77386
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 13,083
Blog Entries: 1
I would imagine with your decision to buy new you're thinking about using credit to make this purchase?

Have you amortized the loan repayment cost to the projected drop in value against your foreseen mileage incurred timeline?

It's always seemed money ahead to buy most cars used. Especially cheap throw away cars. Those warranties scream scam to me. A bargaining chip to persuade you into an otherwise stupid purchase.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Member # 70825
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Posts: 11,604
Between friends and family we have had about 8 kias/hyundais. The only issue we have had was a leaking oil seal in my friends Genesis and my Sister in Laws elantra eating fuel pumps for some reason.

Ive got a Tucson with 125k miles on it that has had nothing but routine maintenance.

My wife has a Sorento with 80 something thousand with no issues.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.
__________________
Every time Hillary coughs, a demon gets his horns.

Last edited by void_of_light; 10-21-2019 at 07:37 AM.
void_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 10,624
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
I would imagine with your decision to buy new you're thinking about using credit to make this purchase?

Have you amortized the loan repayment cost to the projected drop in value against your foreseen mileage incurred timeline?

It's always seemed money ahead to buy most cars used. Especially cheap throw away cars. Those warranties scream scam to me. A bargaining chip to persuade you into an otherwise stupid purchase.
Cash deal. We're going completely debt free.

I want new for the warranty and lack of repairs needed. I am tired of being my family's fleet mechanic.

As for money ahead, we were looking at used 36k mile Suburu wagons for what this cost new.
__________________
Quote:
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #11 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn
 
Action Fab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Member # 77386
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 13,083
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
I want new for the warranty and lack of repairs needed. I am tired of being my family's fleet mechanic.
Good for you, on the debt free front.

Well, new certainly doesn't mean it won't need repairs. But you'll at least be able to budge for them unlike with a used model without that warranty.

What's the cost of a similar warranty added to a certified pre-owned?

I can't imagine a Kia will last you any kind of "lifetime". Not because they can't be good cars, but more because of how they age due to being an appliance rather than a luxury.

I'm a Subaru fan. But I wouldn't touch a newer one. Especially the CVT models. Honestly, just forget about those cars. They're like a Jacket from REI. You're paying for an image. Not quality.

Last edited by Action Fab; 10-21-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Member # 86724
Posts: 29,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Good for you, on the debt free front.

Well, new certainly doesn't mean it won't need repairs. But you'll at least be able to budge for them unlike with a used model without that warranty.

What's the cost of a similar warranty added to a certified pre-owned?

I can't imagine a Kia will last you any kind of "lifetime". Not because they can't be good cars, but more because of how they age due to being an appliance rather than a luxury.
kia/hyundai is currently like toyota of the 90's.

they're over engineering and building their cars because they're trying to break out of the "cheap foreign car" stereotype.

seriously. Go touch the interior shit in a new kia and then go touch the interior shit in a comparably priced domestic. The kia is nicer.
the infotainment shit is absolutely better.

then when they don't sell because americans like you think they're cheap foreign shit, they slash the prices. Look at the current kia stinger offers.
__________________
Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Last edited by 87manche; 10-21-2019 at 07:53 AM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 10,624
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Good for you, on the debt free front.

Well, new certainly doesn't mean it won't need repairs. But you'll at least be able to budge for them unlike with a used model without that warranty.

What's the cost of a similar warranty added to a certified pre-owned?

I can't imagine a Kia will last you any kind of "lifetime". Not because they can't be good cars, but more because of how they age due to being an appliance rather than a luxury.

I'm a Subaru fan. But I wouldn't touch a newer one. Especially the CVT models. Honestly, just forget about those cars. They're like a Jacket from REI. You're paying for an image. Not quality.
You're assuming a bit...

I never said I wanted it for a lifetime. If we get five years out of it, it's more than enough. Then onto the next one.

I also didn't say it won't need repairs. I said I am tired of doing them. Kia would have to, and they would provide her a loaner.
__________________
Quote:
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn
 
Action Fab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Member # 77386
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 13,083
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
kia/hyundai is currently like toyota of the 90's.

they're over engineering and building their cars because they're trying to break out of the "cheap foreign car" stereotype.

seriously. Go touch the interior shit in a new kia and then go touch the interior shit in a comparably priced domestic. The kia is nicer.
the infotainment shit is absolutely better.

then when they don't sell because americans like you think they're cheap foreign shit, they slash the prices. Look at the current kia stinger offers.
I believe you. I knew Hyundai was in that category. I guess I didn't think Kia was there. I will say, honda and Toyota are definitely living off their legacy and not nearly the quality they once were.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 10,624
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
I believe you. I knew Hyundai was in that category. I guess I didn't think Kia was there. I will say, honda and Toyota are definitely living off their legacy and not nearly the quality they once were.
Hyundai and Kia are the same company.
__________________
Quote:
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn
 
Action Fab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Member # 77386
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 13,083
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
You're assuming a bit...

I never said I wanted it for a lifetime. If we get five years out of it, it's more than enough. Then onto the next one.

I also didn't say it won't need repairs. I said I am tired of doing them. Kia would have to, and they would provide her a loaner.
You're right. I'm assuming things under the pretenses that you'll correct me if they're inaccurate. I have a particular mentality that makes me highly nervous about buying anything new. So I'm just being devil's advocate to your question. This is the Chit Chat so I suspect very little weight will be applied to my thoughts.

I guess to my point, 5 years seems like a very short amount of time to keep a new car without losing a ton of money on it. Unless you can justify it's cost of ownership to some kind of business experience.

How many miles does 5 years of use add up to?

How much do you figure a 5 year old XXX,XXX mile Kia is worth. Divided by the years driven, and value at trade-in/Re-sale does it look like a value you feel comfortable with? That seems to be the equation you should do to decide if you are going to be happy making the purchase.

The fact that you aren't financings, means it's pretty well inconsequential beyond that. It's really just a matter of do you like the car and are you comfortable with the cost. Like you said, the rest is on the dealer to maintain it for you.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #17 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn
 
Action Fab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Member # 77386
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 13,083
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Hyundai and Kia are the same company.
Yukon and USA standard are the same company too. But thanks for letting me know they're a better product than they were a generation ago. My contact with Kia's has been from the early 2000's, when they felt very cheap. And then seeing them at auction where they still felt very cheap and sold for next to nothing.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #18 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
DWT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Member # 19850
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 13,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Hyundai and Kia are the same company.
Don't confuse him with facts he will have to make some long meandering post to explain his position and why he is right or something of the nature.
__________________
'89 auto x toyota pickup, most fun I've ever had with my clothes on.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #19 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 10,624
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
You're right. I'm assuming things under the pretenses that you'll correct me if they're inaccurate. I have a particular mentality that makes me highly nervous about buying anything new. So I'm just being devil's advocate to your question. This is the Chit Chat so I suspect very little weight will be applied to my thoughts.

I guess to my point, 5 years seems like a very short amount of time to keep a new car without losing a ton of money on it. Unless you can justify it's cost of ownership to some kind of business experience.

How many miles does 5 years of use add up to?

How much do you figure a 5 year old XXX,XXX mile Kia is worth. Divided by the years driven, and value at trade-in/Re-sale does it look like a value you feel comfortable with? That seems to be the equation you should do to decide if you are going to be happy making the purchase.

The fact that you aren't financings, means it's pretty well inconsequential beyond that. It's really just a matter of do you like the car and are you comfortable with the cost. Like you said, the rest is on the dealer to maintain it for you.

At 5 years, it's a throw away. I can give it to a kid or a family that needs it.

It's that cheap.

If this one works out, I'd get another one.
__________________
Quote:
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
MattS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 386
Location: Omaha, NE USA
Posts: 25,953
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
One of my employees has had an Optima Hybrid since new it's a 2012. It's now got 137k on it. Only issues have been weird shit like the steering wheel peeling, the windshield leaked. All fixed free.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Member # 1515
Location: Bates City, Mo
Posts: 17,632
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
Do it. Between my wife and I, we have had 4 hyundai's. a 2000 Accent, 2011 Elantra, and our current driveway has her 2011 Tucson Limited AWD with 88k trouble free miles, and my 2014 accent hatchback with 64,000 trouble free miles. Only reason I'm not still driving the 2000 accent is because it met its demise in a rock slide. The 2011 Elantra was sold when I got a company car in a previous job. Wife is thinking about upgrading vehicles, and we are looking at the Kia Telluride or the Hyundai Palisade. We are big believers in Hyundai/Kia products.
__________________
Black Star Status!
Po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #22 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 10,624
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Whelp, looks like we're in.

19,200 for the car, out the door.

31K for her YukonXL


Fuck buying big cars. I paid 62K for her 2015 YukonXL... she put 103K miles on it.
__________________
Quote:
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13786
Location: moved 7 miles to colfax, ca.
Posts: 8,295
Wife has a 14 Sorento AWD--we got it a year ago and other than me having to catch up on all the maintenance it's been a really good car and she loves it.
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Member # 1515
Location: Bates City, Mo
Posts: 17,632
Send a message via AIM to Po' riggity Send a message via Yahoo to Po' riggity
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Whelp, looks like we're in.



19,200 for the car, out the door.



31K for her YukonXL





Fuck buying big cars. I paid 62K for her 2015 YukonXL... she put 103K miles on it.
Is the Yukon paid for already? Based on my math figures if they are giving you 31k trade in, and the sportage is 19,200, the dealership owes you money and that's awesome if so.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
__________________
Black Star Status!

Last edited by Po' riggity; 10-21-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #25 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 10448
Location: NH
Posts: 10,624
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po' riggity View Post
I.p.o a the Yukon paid for already? Based on my math figures if they are giving you 31k trade in, and the sportage is 19,200, the dealership owes you money

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Yes, it's paid for.

I still lost a shit ton on it.

I may replace my daughter's TJ with a Optima or something.
__________________
Quote:
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.